Latest topics

Movie Review :Ramaiya Vastavaiya

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Movie Review :Ramaiya Vastavaiya

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-07-22, 08:30

Movie name: Ramaiya Vastavaiya
Cast: Girish Taurani, Shruti Haasan, Sonu Sood, Randhir Kapoor, Poonam Dhillon, Vinod Khanna, Satish Shah, Naseer, Aanchal Singh, Paresh Ganatra, Pankhuri Awasthi, Zakir Hussain, Govind Namdev
Director: Prabhudheva
Rating:
Prabhudheva. I have come to associate this lithe, exceptional dancer-turned-director with films that are fun, films I refer to as Chingham (chewing-gum flicks). Chew and throw. Though I took note of Wanted, I found his last Bollywood outing, Rowdy Rathore, wanting. But Dheva has risen in my esteem again, not for the quality of his Ramaiya Vastavaiya, but for what he manages to do despite a severe handicap.

It’s not fair to comment on anybody’s looks, but when you pay Rs. 375 for a ticket (which I did, at the local multiplex), you expect some basics — comfortable seats, surround sound and pleasing visuals. In the shortest possible queue of Bollywood aspirants, Girish Taurani would not be picked for the role of an extra, forget hero. But when papa is rolling in the dough, gaping mouths shut.

Ramaiya Vastavaiya is produced by Kumar Taurani, managing director of Tips Industries Limited, to launch his pyara beta, Girish. It’s a measure of the challenge this boy posed that Prabhudheva, the story goes, insisted on training the boy for three-and-a-half years before he shouted “action”. Choreographers were appointed to teach Taurani Junior dance steps. A trainer was brought in from South Africa to oversee the development of his six-pack. And Wikipedia informs me that surfing expert Christopher Bryan from Hawaii, USA, was given the charge of training Girsh for his Bollywood entry scene — a surfing sequence which was shot in Australia.
But all this and more could not make Humpty Dumpty hero material. And that’s where Prabhudheva’s genius came to the rescue.

He picked the right script — Ramaiya Vastavaiya is a remake of his own 2005 Telugu film, Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana, which was a remake of the 1989 Salman Khan starrer, Maine Pyaar Kiya — and then he battered and abused and insulted the boy so much in the film that we have no choice but to feel sympathy for him. It’s a skilful sly operation and a lesser director would have failed.

Ramaiya Vastavaiya rests on one thing and one thing alone, Prabhu ki maya.
Ramaiya Vastavaiya is set in today’s world, but its story harks back to the sad socials of the Eighties and Nineties, the ones which had a zamindar with an evil son, a hardworking kisaan and his nubile sister/daughter, and a seemingly disturbed but noble-at-heart rich city boy. These films ploughed through three hours and over two decades on the redemptive power of love. Sachcha pyaar could turn silly boys in tight pants into sons of the soil. It could also humble the haughty and reform the immoral.

And so the wheels turn in Ramaiya Vastavaiya.
The film has a prologue and an epilogue; the real story sits in between, narrated as flashback.

Many moons ago, a mother of two, young Raghuveer and infant Sona, received an ominous message from the gods and went looking for her husband. He had taken another wife and wanted to wash his hands off this family by throwing some money at them. Honourable mummy threw the money right back at him, but died on her way home. Little Raghuveer was left cradling littler Sona, without a soul in the world to stand up for them. But a railway station master (Vinod Khanna) rose to become their protector and managed to ward off the zamindar who wanted to take over Raghuveer’s zameen.

Raghuveer gets to work in the fields, while feeding, educating and pampering his little sister. He stands between her and the world. He is her saviour and protector. Everyone has to seek his permission to even talk to her. Both are happy with this arrangement. And so they grow up, Raghuveer into Sonu Sood and Sona into Shruti Haasan. When the village zamindar and his malevolent son seek Sona’s hand in marriage, Raghuveer hems and haws and reads out a matrimonial ad for his prospective jijaji. Cut to aforementioned surfing scene and six-packs.

Ram (Girish Taurani) is the son of a benign NRI billionaire, Siddhant (Randhir Kapoor), and a snooty mommy, Ashwini (Poonam Dhillon). He himself doesn’t do much except get into chicken suits and hop around his distraught father while riled mother casts a disapproving eye.

Ashwini’s brother’s daughter, Ria (Aanchal Singh), is getting married and so the NRIs arrive to partake in the festivities. Ria, who is to wed Anshul, a boy we barely meet, has a BFF. Guess who?

Sona and Ram meet and she dislikes him instantly, calling him what we’ve been contemplating all along — bina poonch ka bandar. He hops about, swings from here to there, pulls strange faces, emits stranger noises, picks her stuff, including her favourite thing in the world (a wooden horse gifted to her by her brother), and generally irritates her. But when she needs help to save her friend Ria from shame and disgrace, she seeks him out. And so, one silly sequence after another bring them together and soon they are found holding hands and locking lips.
But Ashwini has already given her word to Jay Prakash (Nasser), that Ram will marry his petulant daughter, Dolly (Pankhuri Awasthi). So she insults Sona and Raghuveer and they hotfoot it home.

NRIs leave for Australia, but Ram arrives at Raghuveer’s doorstep, seeking his sister’s hand in marriage. Over my dead body, says Raghuveer. Ram persists, so Raghuveer put him up in the cowshed and challenges him to plough the field and grow as much anaaj as he does.

Fighting pesky goats, smelly and tempestuous buffaloes, and an annoying side-kick of Raghuveer, and after lots of rolling about in gobar and suffering susu showers, Ram gets down to work. An extended episode of Krishi Darshan later, people with evil intentions start lurking about.

Ramaiya Vastavaiya’s story is crammed with tedious situations, trite scenarios. But they are all made bearable with large doses of slap-stick humour. A maid at Raghuveer’s house, who we can refer to as butter fingers, and a minion at Ria’s house who is assaulted in all conceivable ways, provide mirth.

Prabhudheva directs his film like a parody of Bollywood films. Everything — emotions, drama, clichés — is exaggerated and called out. Visually, too, it’s a riot of colours. Every set, every sequence is over the top. The village landscape is verdant and lush. The wedding house is always colour-coordinated, and the colour scheme changes often.

Girish acts like a cartoon character and is treated as such. He mostly goes boing, crash, thud, ooi-maa, waaan. But is often funny and manages to connect.
Shruti Haasan has the freshness of just-bathed and is competent. Sonu Sood, always excellent, lends some gravitas to this silly flick. The film has an impressive cast of supporting actors, including Jacqueline Fernandez who arrives for an item number with Prabhudheva.

What I found very interesting in Ramaiya Vastavaiya was the the brother’s relationship with his sister. It would have made Dr Freud proud.

credits Asian Age

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Re: Movie Review :Ramaiya Vastavaiya

Post by A.N.Jell_Zarina on 2013-07-22, 08:47

suman i hav watched similar types of movies before so not much interested to watch it

n from the promos on air i dnt find the male lead that much of appealing

but the songs r good

nyws thanks for the review post

A.N.Jell_Zarina
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-07-22, 10:24

aasudi wrote:suman i hav watched similar types of movies before so not much interested to watch it

but the songs r good

You are welcome Aasudi ...

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-07-22, 10:26

Hmm I watched the movie in telugu and Tamil as well when it was remade in tamil... now its Hindi...

ramaiyaa vastavaiya... ramaiyaa vastavaiya!!

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-07-22, 12:45

Abavi wrote:Hmm I watched the movie in telugu and Tamil as well when it was remade in tamil... now its Hindi...

ramaiyaa vastavaiya... ramaiyaa vastavaiya!!

Thanks Abavi .. but you must have liked the movie very much to watch it the second time !!..

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by A.N.Jell_Zarina on 2013-07-23, 10:00

--sumana13-- wrote:
aasudi wrote:suman i hav watched similar types of movies before so not much interested to watch it

but the songs r good

You are welcome Aasudi ...

long hug

A.N.Jell_Zarina
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:48

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down