Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 33: Tangled Skeins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 01:41

Folks,

I had hoped not to post tonight, for  all our sakes, but no such luck for you or for me, it seems

Jodha Akbar 33 was like a ball of wool with which a kitten has been having some fun, a cat's cradle of tangled skeins.  One could not really disentangle  any of them, but one learnt a good bit while trying to do so. Let us take them one by one, in no particular order.

Jalal: His two scenes today  - the first with the banjara troupe, and the other with the would be assassin  - were both extremely interesting and  revealing.

A month ago, in my first ever post in this forum, Ekta's Emperor Jalaluddin Mohammed: an assessment (http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3647623), I had noted, with reference to the payal incident, that it showed not his love for Jodha but  his possessiveness towards her, which is not at all the same thing.

He does not kiss the payal as any ordinary lover would. It would be not be like the Shahenshah at all. He tosses it up in the air, but he always catches it, and when it falls into the fire, he burns his hand to retrieve it. This is not so much, as some have thought, a sign of passion for Jodha. He is not yet aware that he is falling in love with her, he does not know what love means. It is rather the possessiveness towards her that, as the line has it, uske parvaan chad gaya tha. For him, the payal symbolizes Jodha, and he will not let go of it or her, even if he has to burn his fingers to secure it. 

It was exactly the same today. When he listens to the banjaras'  ballad in praise of Jodha's manifold beauties  - of face and figure, of her eyes, her lips, her hair, her gait  - he goes back in time and sees her again as he had beheld her on the streets of Amer, and he smiles to himself involuntarily. 

But immediately, his raw possessiveness towards this girl who is soon to be his begum, his  and his alone, rears its head like an angry, hissing cobra.  No one, but no one, can be permitted to hear this song and then imagine his Jodha as an object of desire. The cold menace in his eyes and voice as he warns the banjaras -  after having rewarded them for this performance -  against ever repeating it,  is truly frightening, and those poor folk must not have stopped shivering for days!

An aside: Lagta hai ki Sharifuddin ki toh khair nahin. His folly, or impertinence, or both, in dragging his feet about  bringing the Amer princes to the Shahenshah  as instructed, is sure to cost him  dearly, Bakshi Banu or no Bakshi Banu. Note how Chughtai Khan, now a trusted and valued go between with the Amer royal family and thus part of Jalal's inner circle, who dislikes Sharifuddin, neatly does chugli  to Jalal about Sharifuddin not having done hukum ki taameel without delay!

The averted assassination attempt is even more revealing. Firstly, the Mughal security system seems to be dismal, seeing that a stranger armed with a khanjar managed to get into the Shahenshah's personal tent unnoticed, and that too to within 3 feet of him! 

Next, Jalal is far more alert to potential danger than his entourage. He not only spots  the khanjar but manages to remove it unnoticed by the bearer of the weapon.  But it is when he deals with the man that we get the true measure of a great ruler in the making, with an unerring grasp of human psychology. 

By daring the man to cut his throat, Jalal confuses him and puts him at a mental and psychological disadvantage. That man will never again be able to see Jalal as the devil incarnate, especially after he is pardoned and allowed to leave unscathed. Here we see, in  Jalal, the seeds of the future Akbar, for it was thru such gestures and such calculated magnanimity, multiplied a thousand fold, that Akbar won over much of  hostile Hindustan.

Ruquaiya:  My erstwhile favourite is going down the tubes, and fast. What sort of intelligence network does she have that she is still in the dark about Jalal's latest matrimonial venture? Instead, she  sits there doing  exactly  what she ridicules the other begums for  doing, accumulating jewellery (note the subtle but unmistakable boost for Rajasthani kaarigari  in jewellery!)  

I could not  understand how  it was that Mahaam Anga had not dropped in, or her way to Amer with Jalal for the wedding, to bring  Ruqaiya up to speed on this momentous development, and amplify on her earlier warning to her about the need to  hold her husband tight and not let him stray. One would have thought that Mahaam would never have passed up such a godsent opportunity to stick a knife into Ruqaiya ' who had once reminded her, with true Timurid arrogance, that she was only a dasi ' and then twist it with glee.  We have missed a classic encounter,  alas!

Incidentally, why on earth has Ruqaiya demoted herself from being the Malika-e-Hind to just the Malika-e-Khaas? Curious.

Bharmal & Spouse: They are an odd couple.  

She is the antithesis of the  traditional, strong Rajasthani (now replaced onscreen by a bizarre mutation, Rajvanshi,  a rootless entity that could be from anywhere from Kamrup {today's Assam } to Kerala) matriarch. She  is eternally in a flood of tears these days, and takes to her bed,  exactly  like Mrs. Bennet in Pride and Prejudice after her favourite daughter elopes  with a good for nothing young man.  Where Mynavati should  be there as a lightning rod and a safety net for Jodha, she instead  imposes an additional emotional burden on her with her unexplained wailing and weeping.

He is square of both face and body, undistinguished and uninspiring, and of late he is also  a man hounded by unfamiliar demons ' ostracism and public humiliation among his own class,  fear of what the future holds. He takes the easy way out, grasping at the  escape route Jodha offers him when she refuses to let him tell her whom she would be marrying. It was his responsibility to tell her, so that she would  be spared the shock and dismay of either learning it from an outsider, or worst of all, only at the ceremony itself. But he chickens out, and is now babbling of Jodha's niyati revealing the truth to her somehow, and then  giving her the strength to bear it. Some father, this!

Jodha: She remains curiously unaffected by the evident  and unusual emotional turmoil around her ' whether it is her mother, Motibai, or Sukanya. The tongue cutting incident was a very grave and shocking one, and it is strange that though she is then distracted from probing the kaali zubaan  comment, Jodha  does not revert to it later. She explains away curious points ' the odd comment about Motibai's 'marriage' let fall by young Mansingh, Motibai's tears, or the hasty  departure of Kunwar Pratap's  delegation -  to herself without showing the least urge to probe them,  an urge that would have been expected in such an intelligent young princess.  None of this is convincing.

It is even less credible that when the whole of Amer knows about the Mughal Shahenshah being Jodha's  bridegroom,  she has not learnt of it from someone by now. 

By the way, what was it with that gaggle of female servants at the confidential meeting where Bharmal reveals the truth about Jodha's marriage, whereas his 3 daughters are all kept out of it? He could  just as well have hired the town crier to announce it to the populace!

It is also clear that thanks to Bharmal's pusillanimity, Jodha is now in for a very bad shock at her wedding. She is obviously under the impression that her bridegroom is a Rajput king,  who she assumes  has taken on the Mughals to help Amer out. Not only this, she is actually expecting this new  savior to complete the task the unfortunate Suryabhan had sworn to achieve! The only saving grace today was that the Jalal ka sar  mantra was not trotted out, but  it was hanging over the scene nonetheless, like a ghostly presence.

Given all this, it is difficult to stop oneself from (virtually) clobbering the First Couple of Amer for their folly and cowardice in keeping Jodha in the dark till the end.

Jokes of the day: The Amer Ministers, who seem to competing among themselves  for the first prize for stupidity, suggesting that their King palm Jalal off with  Motibai instead of Jodha.   I was in stitches imagining Jalal's face when he raises the ghunghat!  Riyya, my poor girl, you are apparently stuck with Motibai, for she is surely going to Agra with Jodha!

The choice of an Ekta regular, Anurag Sharma, who plays minor roles in her other soaps and who looks about 40, to play the fiery, 20 year old Kunwar Pratap. 

This apart, the tone and tenor of his tirade against Bharmal in the latter's own audience hall was so harsh that one would have expected Bharmal or Bhagwan Das to call the visitor to order and have him ejected. Instead, father and son stand there like dummies while Pratap lets them have it with both barrels. Not that I was surprised!

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Last edited by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 02:43; edited 1 time in total

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 33: Tangled Skeins

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-02, 02:05

Shyamala I am becoming a fan of your writing more than Jodha Akbar serial .. Thanks for this beautiful post my dear ..

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 02:44

Thank you so very much.I am flattered.Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:Shyamala I am becoming a fan of your writing more than Jodha Akbar serial .. Thanks for this beautiful  post my dear ..

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2013-08-02, 04:08

Shyamala I'm glad u did write, it's a pleasure to read ur post.. this may only be the third one i have read but it will soon become an addiction...and once I am addicted there is no saving u...

I liked the scene with Jalal and the troupe and the one with the spy...liked him being alert and intelligent enough but that doesn't much about his troops....

Yep some of the things u have listed annoyed me and Ruqs not having spies and not knowing wat is going on was one..weather she keeps her dealings to the harem court seems a bit short sighted... Mahamanga and Ruqs would have been a good scene and Mahamanga thinks she knows the reason Jalal has said yes to the marriage, but could also be that since his heart is not involved Mahamanga didn't bother because she thinks Jodha will b of no consequence, or that it is a way of life though marriage is a bigger one then just bringing the girls to the harem...but she could certainly have taunted Ruqs...

I don't know where the sense went with jodha not realising something drastic was up or not following up about her sister trying to cut her tongue out... u would worry that as soon as your back is turned she would try again...

As I am enjoying the show I can overlook some annoying aspects like the short tempered veer not being insulted enough to take out their swords... that I may not overlook in other shows that bore me...lets c how long that lasts....

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by riyya6 on 2013-08-02, 06:17

Shyamala aunthy long hug ...  Loved ur write up.... Its long back :lol!: ....

I have not watch the epi, but according to the WU and ur post :-

1. How on earth Jodha is not aware whom shes getting married too.. even motibhai is aware... The best person to tell Jodha according to riyya is the most awaited Shaguni Bhai :lol!: ...

2. I could be wrong aunthy but i think MA and rugaiyya will not be effected with Jalal marriage with Jodha ATM. MA got her answers in previous epi n iis happy with it, As for ruqaiyya she thinks she control Jalal mind n no one have accceess to it, she will only get effected when she sees jalal falling for Jodha ....
But of course not logic of her not knowing abt the venture i agree :) 

3. Motibhai is going to agra 2 Shocked .... aunthy there is still possiblity of her not going, provided Jodha declines to take anyone as shes going to mUghals and not any Rajputana place. Im still having hopes on it Wink 

4. Bharmal & spouse : never on earth i see that kind  of king n queen .....ROFL

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-08-02, 08:40

Thats a another wow for you again Shyamala...

Yeah about Jalal threatening the banjara troupe to not sing praises about Jodha again reminded me oddly of a popular king down south who asked for the thumb of a sculptor who had craved a beautiful sculpture for a temple that was built by the king, to be cut- so that the sculptor wouldnt repeat his skill anywhere else...

Jalal only threatened them- he didnt get down to cut off their tongues..

Loved your write up!

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-02, 11:37

Hi Shyamala, once again a THUMBS UP Thumbsup 

I was thinking about the banjara scene...whether its possessiveness talking or the hatred speaking ...and u explained it so beautifully relating it the payal incident which happened earlier :)

the other, assassination attempt was such a thought out scene, Ekta has brought out lots of layers in Jalal's character before he actually gets into the face off with Jodha. 

Ruks, Jodha, and the first couple of Amer : all of them under an effect of illusion, and as it happens...once it breaks, bahut zor se chot/jhatka lagta hai boss!!! Wink

I cracked at some of the lines u used for Bharmal Menavati,Ruks and Pratap, jokes of the day and the tongue in cheek remark(Rajasthan artefacts) too.

This was truly an exemplary read, felt as if I am reading an article in The HIndu

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 12:23

Pallavi my dear, that last line was a wonderful compliment! Thank you. For a true blue Tamilian like myself, The Hindu, even these days, is the gold standard for quality journalism, and to be compared to it is very pleasing.Did you like the Pride and Prejudice reference, and are you an Austenite? If you are, and have seen the 1995 TV version, the all time best, you will remember Mrs. Bennet taking to her bed as soon as Lydia elopes with Wickham, with sal volatile shedding copious tears and getting her meals in bed. Mynavati was exactly like than yesterday when she turned on her side, away from Jodha.Shyamalapollyanna wrote:Hi Shyamala, once again a THUMBS UP Thumbsup 

I was thinking about the banjara scene...whether its possessiveness talking or the hatred speaking ...and u explained it so beautifully relating it the payal incident which happened earlier :)

the other, assassination attempt was such a thought out scene, Ekta has brought out lots of layers in Jalal's character before he actually gets into the face off with Jodha. 

Ruks, Jodha, and the first couple of Amer : all of them under an effect of illusion, and as it happens...once it breaks, bahut zor se chot/jhatka lagta hai boss!!! Wink

I cracked at some of the lines u used for Bharmal Menavati,Ruks and Pratap, jokes of the day and the tongue in cheek remark(Rajasthan artefacts) too.

This was truly an exemplary read, felt as if I am reading an article in The HIndu

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 12:28

Thank you so much!I  am Tamilian, and I had heard that awful story too, which reminds one of Ekalavya in the Mahabharata. But of course here Jalal's motive is more acceptable and his reaction quite understandable. In fact, even the placid Suryabhan would not have tolerated these banjaras singing like that about his wife's physical perfections, though his reaction would not have been as harsh as Jalal's.ShyamalaAbavi wrote:Thats a another wow for you again Shyamala...

Yeah about Jalal threatening the banjara troupe to not sing praises about Jodha again reminded me oddly of a popular king down south who asked for the thumb of a sculptor who had craved a beautiful sculpture for a temple that was built by the king, to be cut- so that the sculptor wouldnt repeat his skill anywhere else...

Loved your write up!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 12:30

Kiddo, you are quite out about Motibai. When Jodha learns that she is going to Agra, she will glue Moti to her with Fewikwik! Shyamala Auntyriyya6 wrote:Shyamala aunthy long hug ...  Loved ur write up.... Its long back :lol!: ....

I have not watch the epi, but according to the WU and ur post :-

1. How on earth Jodha is not aware whom shes getting married too.. even motibhai is aware... The best person to tell Jodha according to riyya is the most awaited Shaguni Bhai :lol!: ...

2. I could be wrong aunthy but i think MA and rugaiyya will not be effected with Jalal marriage with Jodha ATM. MA got her answers in previous epi n iis happy with it, As for ruqaiyya she thinks she control Jalal mind n no one have accceess to it, she will only get effected when she sees jalal falling for Jodha ....
But of course not logic of her not knowing abt the venture i agree :) 

3. Motibhai is going to agra 2 Shocked .... aunthy there is still possiblity of her not going, provided Jodha declines to take anyone as shes going to mUghals and not any Rajputana place. Im still having hopes on it Wink 

4. Bharmal & spouse : never on earth i see that kind  of king n queen .....ROFL

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 12:41

Well, this is one addiction that will be a constant delight! Thank you so very much for being so  kind. However, I do wish I could type faster, for this sort of post takes me, including the finetuning at the end, well over2 hours. If JA goes on for 500 episodes, that would be 1000 hours, or a 100 average days out of my already shortened lifespan (I am over 60)! It does not bear thinking about, don't you agree? Shyamalasarra0 wrote:Shyamala I'm glad u did write, it's a pleasure to read ur post.. this may only be the third one i have read but it will soon become an addiction...and once I am addicted there is no saving u...

I liked the scene with Jalal and the troupe and the one with the spy...liked him being alert and intelligent enough but that doesn't much about his troops....

Yep some of the things u have listed annoyed me and Ruqs not having spies and not knowing wat is going on was one..weather she keeps her dealings to the harem court seems a bit short sighted... Mahamanga and Ruqs would have been a good scene and Mahamanga thinks she knows the reason Jalal has said yes to the marriage, but could also be that since his heart is not involved Mahamanga didn't bother because she thinks Jodha will b of no consequence, or that it is a way of life though marriage is a bigger one then just bringing the girls to the harem...but she could certainly have taunted Ruqs...

I don't know where the sense went with jodha not realising something drastic was up or not following up about her sister trying to cut her tongue out... u would worry that as soon as your back is turned she would try again...

As I am enjoying the show I can overlook some annoying aspects like the short tempered veer not being insulted enough to take out their swords... that I may not overlook in other shows that bore me...lets c how long that lasts....

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-02, 12:46

sashashyam wrote:
Pallavi my dear, that last line was a wonderful compliment! Thank you. For a true blue Tamilian like myself, The Hindu, even these days, is the gold standard for quality journalism, and to be compared to it is very pleasing.Did you like the Pride and Prejudice reference, and are you an Austenite? If you are, and have seen the 1995 TV version, the all time best, you will remember Mrs. Bennet taking to her bed as soon as Lydia elopes with Wickham, with sal volatile shedding copious tears and getting her meals in bed. Mynavati was exactly like than yesterday when she turned on her side, away from Jodha.Shyamalapollyanna wrote:Hi Shyamala, once again a THUMBS UP Thumbsup 

Yes, yes bounce ...my whole idea of romance comes from Jane Austen works Wink Wink  well am old for that but still dil toh bachha hai ji...... :P

yup I couldnt help laughing when I read ur comment about Menavati..lolzzzz......Jodha ke maa-baap ka selection Ekta ne bilkul neend mein hi kiya tha....she auditioned for 7000 girls for Jodha and did not have strength to go through rest of her family members......all the characters in Rajput clan are so affraid

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-08-02, 14:18

sashashyam wrote:
Abavi wrote:Thats a another wow for you again Shyamala...

Loved your write up!
Thank you so much!I am Tamilian, and I had heard that awful story too, which reminds one of Ekalavya in the Mahabharata. But of course here Jalal's motive is more acceptable and his reaction quite understandable. In fact, even the placid Suryabhan would not have tolerated these banjaras singing like that about his wife's physical perfections, though his reaction would not have been as harsh as Jalal's.Shyamala

Ada Apadiya!!

So I was wondering that even though Ja is still not yet in love with Jo... but still he feels possessive of her.. which is more like he wants her to wait by him, attend to him and all that - which falls inline with the intention of making her bend to his will- like he wants to own every inch of her but still not with love but with arrogance and ego!

Interesting- I want to own her, But I dont love her!

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-02, 14:31

Appadiyetan!I think there is an extra layer to Jalal's reaction. In those days, royal  women were not seen in public, so the  common people  would not have had any real idea of what Jodha looked like. If the song had been about her gunas, her courage, her compassion for the weak, etc., it would have been quite acceptable to Jalal. But this song (which would never have been sung that way in the real 16th century milieu) sounds like  a description of a ganika,not of a rajkumari.So, the Mughal courtiers might have been shocked (provided they understood the dialect!) and might have consequently looked down on Jodha. It is like a conservative family girl's photo in  a bikini appearing in a magazine. What would their world think of the girl?Now Jodha is Jalal's choice, and he cannot tolerate it that anyone, Mughal or other, should think contemptuously of his choice. So he does not want that risque song repeated. It is basically his ego at work, for he does not know yet that he cares for her and more. He does not  yet know what it is to care for another person, really, truly, deeply. That will come, and accepting it will be one of the biggest battles he has ever waged, and it will be a battle with his own ego.ShyamalaAbavi wrote:
sashashyam wrote:
Abavi wrote:Thats a another wow for you again Shyamala...

Loved your write up!
Thank you so much!I  am Tamilian, and I had heard that awful story too, which reminds one of Ekalavya in the Mahabharata. But of course here Jalal's motive is more acceptable and his reaction quite understandable. In fact, even the placid Suryabhan would not have tolerated these banjaras singing like that about his wife's physical perfections, though his reaction would not have been as harsh as Jalal's.Shyamala

Ada Apadiya!!

So I was wondering that even though Ja is still not yet in love with Jo... but still he feels possessive of her.. which is more like he wants her to wait by him, attend to him and all that - which falls inline with the intention of making her bend to his will- like he wants to own every inch of her but still not with love but with arrogance and ego!

Interesting- I want to own her, But I dont love her!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-02, 14:45

@Shyamala aunty: Even I was left wondering when they praised the physical beauty of Jodha in such detailed manner (While Mughals or Raputs always used to have purdah or ghunghat for the ladies in those days, and as u said---like a conservative family's girl's pic in bikini 

@Vi: I want to own her, But I dont love her! : bounce  i am waiting for the first letter from Jalal to Jodha...that will set the stage Wink 

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2013-08-02, 17:41

sashashyam wrote:
Well, this is one addiction that will be a constant delight! Thank you so very much for being so  kind. However, I do wish I could type faster, for this sort of post takes me, including the finetuning at the end, well over2 hours. If JA goes on for 500 episodes, that would be 1000 hours, or a 100 average days out of my already shortened lifespan (I am over 60)! It does not bear thinking about, don't you agree? Shyamalasarra0 wrote:Shyamala I'm glad u did write, it's a pleasure to read ur post.. this may only be the third one i have read but it will soon become an addiction...and once I am addicted there is no saving u...

Yep it is very time consuming. On the rare occasions I do one it takes me over two hours on the mobile to do and that isn't as any where as near as good as yours... if it stays like this would be good at over 500 episodes, but i find that most don't last that long in holding my attention...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 23:13

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum