Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 02:22

The image that stayed with me at the end of today's episode was of the precap. The camera circled around the  two principals – Jalal, smiling,  looking like a cross between Clark Gable in Gone wirh the Wind, and a cat that has swallowed all the cream, and Jodha, looking far more beautiful than she has been so far, dark eyes huge in a face white and drawn with shock, staring at him as if he was something out of a nightmare.
This was the prelude to the storm that will break come Monday. It  will be a cleansing storm, clearing away the debris of the past few weeks. It will leave behind  a lot of wreckage, but  it is out of this wreckage  that a new beginning will be made,though neither of the two  knows, as yet, to which uncharted territories  of mind and heart it will lead them.


Heroine of the day: Not Jodha, not Suryabhan's hysterical mother, and definitely not Mynavati.  The honours today went, without the shadow of a doubt, to Bharmal's mother.  As her insufferable daughter-in-law wails and writhes on her bed and on the floor, in an agony of irresponsible  self-indulgence, it is left to the matriarch of the Amer royal family to take charge and salvage  the situation. And she does it in style, literally shaking some sense into Mynavati, and expounding, with total and infectious self-confidence and self-assertion, that they have nothing to be ashamed of, but  should instead be proud of what Bharmal had done for the sake of Amer and its people.



This morale boosting exercise apart, she also  makes two very telling points that demonstrate her remarkable grasp of  realpolitik and of reasons of state, as also of the shifting  nature of political relationships.



The neighbouring Rajput kingdoms, she snorts, all had an eye on Amer and wanted to grab it, so why are they being holier than thou now?  Secondly, she  firmly corrects Mynavati when she  wails that Jalal is an enemy. He was an enemy, the old lady points out, he is one no longer. If he had been as kroor as he is said to be, he would simply have sent them the heads of their 3 sons, not a civilized message about the marriage, in the proper form, with the shagun.


Then comes the clincher, and the one I expected  the least from her. She tells Mynavati  that she should be proud to be the mother of the future Malika of the Mughal sultanate!  To say that  I was floored would be an understatement. Would that not just Mynavati, but Jodha too, had at least a fraction of the clear-eyed and at times cynical grasp of the realities of power that this rotund old lady has!



Jalal owes her a special vote of thanks, for without her, his wedding would have ended up as a laughing stock for both the Mughals and the Amervasis, which would not have suited his pride at all!


OTT stuff: Let us  move swiftly over the assorted over the top scenes. I will not even mention Mynavati, for she is OTT nonstop.



Suryabhan's mother, wielding a pair of lathis which can apparently crush a man's neck  and kill him.  For no good reason that I could grasp, she closed them with a clatter inches away from the head of the  cowering Mynavati,  as prelude to the shrill diatribe she then let loose. One can understand and empathise with her grief and outrage, however, far more than with the uppity and ill-mannered Kunwar Pratap of Mewar.


Sujamal, sneaking into Amer by a secret route to warn Jodha against her father's perfidy. It is apparently all right for him to lead Sharifuddin against Amer, after betraying all the secrets of its defence. But it is not all right for Bharmal to arrange Jodha's marriage  with Jalal in order to save Amer. The best thing about this mindblowing hypocrisy is that Sujamal appears to be unaware of it, and  is convinced that he has done no wrong. We are also treated to yet another hairsbreadth escape for Bharmal & Co, for Jodha still misses out on the Great Secret.  None so blind as those that will not see.



Sharifuddin ranting against Jalal to his fluffy-headed biwi, for the public ticking off he received from the Shahenshah. He is proof positive of the inadvisability of Jalal  bestowing such extravagant largesse - his sister's hand in marriage -  on a subordinate just because he opened up the path for him to gain his heart's  desire – no, not Jodha, but teaching Jodha a proper lesson. 



The only saving  grace here was that but for Allah's raham, it might well have been the  abominable Adham Khan! Sharifuddin, while he might sulk and indulge in non-coperation just short of rebellion,  will never reach the heights, or rather the depths, that Adham  can plumb effortlessly.  The best bit of unintended humour re: Sharifuddin  was his reference to Jalal inflicting wounds on him, for which Bakshi Banu namak chidakne ki tayyari kar rahi hai



Not quite OTT, but ridiculous in the extreme: Bharmal and his better (?) half gulping as though they both had a frog in their throat, and looking petrified when Jodha and Bhagwas Das make  an unexpected entrance. Of course this is just when the portly pater familias  is declaring that he is , in the current TV lingo, looking for the sahi waqt to disclose to his daughter dearest that she is slated to become not a Rani of something or the other, but Begum Jallad. Husband and wife look so appallingly guilty that a half blind man could have spotted it from a hundred  yards away. But not Jodha, of course!



Highlights: The Shahenshah once again demonstrating,  250 years ahead of Napoleon Bonaparte, that one can dominate much taller men by sheer force of will. Jalal  hauls Sharifuddin  ruthlessly over the coals for failing to obey his orders at once, and the idea of giving his brother-in-law this dressing down in private would never occur to him, for he snaps Idhar udhar kya dekh rahe ho?



Jalal again, his eyes gleaming in pure boyish mischief, saying that he had deliberately kept both his lachrymose Ammijaan and his Malika-e-Khaas  (in the lady's own very recent words) in the dark about his impending nikaah so that he could watch the faces of the  Mughal begums when the new Rajkumari lande d up in the harem! What is this but just another nikaah, he adds  brashly,   and I was thinking to myself, That, Buster, is just where you are wrong!


A point I would like to make here, for those distressed  because Jalal  seems, in  this segment, to be totally indifferent to Jodha, whereas  earlier, he  was so possessive and protective of her standing with Mahaam Anga and wrt the banjaras' song about Jodha.



The fact is that right now, Jalal has no soft feelings for Jodha at all.  For him, despite the indefinable attraction and the desire to see her that pulls him into a dangerous venture into  Amer, she is, at this moment, only an impertinent wench who dared to hold  a sword to his throat, and put him, the Shahenshah, in a very tight corner for a minute. But for  his icy  courage and tremendous presence of mind, he would have been killed right there, or arrested, which would have been  far worse.

She also repeatedly calls for his head on a platter, and produces a whole laundry list of his real and imaginary atrocities.

So what would he, an absolute monarch and a fierce warrior, think about her? Why, like Petruchio dealing with Kate in Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew,  that she  needs to be taught a good lesson. But while he is doing that, no one, but no one, can utter a single disparaging word about her. Not even his Badiammi, who was thus coldly slapped down the other day for her impertinence  wrt Jodha.

I don't think Jalal  knows or understands what he feels deep down, any more that he understood, that rainy night in Amer, why he picked up Jodha's  payal,and then burnt his hand recovering it from the fire. When he does begin to understand what he feels, he will fight that realisation tooth and nail. He will lose that battle, of course, but it will be hard fought, for it will be a battle against his own ego. That, as all the sages tell us, is the toughest battle of all.



So, when he asserts now that this is just one more nikaah,  no more, he is telling the truth as he understands it. This will change, but not for a while yet, and that will be, for us, half the fun!


Lastly, the scenes of Jodha getting ready to leave Amer for good. They have been shot lovingly and are gorgeous, as is the leading lady, who is obviously one of  those lucky females who looks her best when all decked out  in lavish  finery.



This augurs well for the week long wedding coverage,  an incredible 5 back to back mahaepisodes.   Jalal and Jodha will be a remarkably handsome couple at their glamorous best, and we can all give a miss – or almost so -  to our endless analysis and comments, and concentrate, for a change, on  just looking  at them!



Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-03, 09:26

What an awesome post Shyamala ...
I read it the first thing in the morning .... And it brought a smile on my face .... Loved reading you ...thanks for this post ...

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Posts : 27532
Join date : 2013-02-04

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 09:40

Thank you, Sumana, you brightened my morning too!Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:What an awesome post Shyamala ...
I read it the first thing in the morning .... And it brought a smile on my face .... Loved reading you ...thanks for this post ...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by Maria J on 2013-08-03, 09:48

Loved reading u Shyamala.. hug1  Haven't watched the episode so don't know much about the story but i liked how u wrote abt Bharmal's mother..

Maria J
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 8584
Join date : 2013-02-07

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 09:57

Thank you very much, Maria. What you should NOT miss, on TV,is the whole of the next week!ShyamalaMaria J wrote:Loved reading u Shyamala.. hug1  Haven't watched the episode so don't know much about the story but i liked how u wrote abt Bharmal's mother..

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by Maria J on 2013-08-03, 10:05

sashashyam wrote:
Thank you very much, Maria. What you should NOT miss, on TV,is the whole of the next week!ShyamalaMaria J wrote:Loved reading u Shyamala.. hug1  Haven't watched the episode so don't know much about the story but i liked how u wrote abt Bharmal's mother..

 Will try to watch it Shyamala..

Maria J
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 8584
Join date : 2013-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sunshine99 on 2013-08-03, 10:09

A wonderful piece.Thumbsup  Enjoyed reading it immensely..I do not watch the soap but your post has sparked  a keen interest in it.


Last edited by sunshine99 on 2013-08-03, 11:41; edited 1 time in total

sunshine99
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Posts : 4295
Join date : 2013-02-04
Location : US

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-03, 10:22

OMG!!! My weekend kick started with such a BANG.....yes....your fantastic post just made my day, now I am not bothered with what happens for the rest of the day .....Thank you so much Shyamala aunty :) 

I really like the way you explain the scenes under different headings and which suit to the T.

I just loved Dadi yesterday, wish Jodha can take her to Agra too, she would put some sense into her poti as well as she did to her bahu Wink

@Jalal: your analysis for his actions are SUPERB and indeed helps me to see him in a different light....he is very mischievous, wants to see the reaction of Mughal harem for his new bride :P

OTT scenes: I was :lol!:  whaen SB's mother came and was talking to Menavati....Menavati aur Bharmal ke liye toh I am just Twisted Evil 

I have not read The taming of the Shrew, will give it a read :) 

Thanks once again :)

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Posts : 5890
Join date : 2013-02-02
Location : Bangalore,India

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 10:42

Pallavi my dear,You should have been a psychiatrist, you would do your patients so much good by just talking to them! Your bubbly comment made my day as well!What a delighful idea, of Jodha taking her dadi to Agra! Do wish it had been possible,but at least I hope she gives Jodha some sound advice as a parting gift.Shyamala Auntypollyanna wrote:OMG!!! My weekend kick started with such a BANG.....yes....your fantastic post just made my day, now I am not bothered with what happens for the rest of the day .....Thank you so much Shyamala aunty :) 

I really like the way you explain the scenes under different headings and which suit to the T.

I just loved Dadi yesterday, wish Jodha can take her to Agra too, she would put some sense into her poti as well as she did to her bahu Wink

@Jalal: your analysis for his actions are SUPERB and indeed helps me to see him in a different light....he is very mischievous, wants to see the reaction of Mughal harem for his new bride :P

OTT scenes: I was :lol!:  whaen SB's mother came and was talking to Menavati....Menavati aur Bharmal ke liye toh I am just Twisted Evil 

I have not read The taming of the Shrew, will give it a read :) 

Thanks once again :)

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-03, 11:08

Shyamala Aunty.....thanks for the compliment :) 

What do u think will be the reason Jalal will give, so that Maan Singh accompanies him and Jodha to Agra?

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Posts : 5890
Join date : 2013-02-02
Location : Bangalore,India

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 11:38

I don't know, Pallavi, nor even if he goes there now, but he does get there eventually, for he is Akbar's right hand by the time Salim is grown up. In fact, Salim is shipped off to Amer as a teenager to be whipped into shape in the harsh  deserts of Rajasthan and toughened up.Shyamala Auntypollyanna wrote:Shyamala Aunty.....thanks for the compliment :) 

What do u think will be the reason Jalal will give, so that Maan Singh accompanies him and Jodha to Agra?

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by riyya6 on 2013-08-03, 12:17

...Thumbsup ...

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 4024
Join date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by riyya6 on 2013-08-03, 12:22

N guys who is this maan Singh now..

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 4024
Join date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-03, 12:25

Thanks Aunty :)

@Riya: Maan Singh is nephew of Jodha...who says Buasa to her.....remember, he had couple of scenes on Thursday I guess......he was confused about whose marriage are they talking about--Jodha or Moti and went and had small talk with Jodha.....

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Posts : 5890
Join date : 2013-02-02
Location : Bangalore,India

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by riyya6 on 2013-08-03, 12:29

10q pals.. Oh that guy..l I'm so confuse all of them look alike....

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 4024
Join date : 2013-02-13

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 13:43

Riyya, you should be ashamed of yourself, and this after 6 weeks of watching Rajput ,,, oops! Rajvanshi royalty day after day! If you do not pull up your socks and improve your facial recognition abilities, rest assured the ghost of Mansingh will haunt you, hiding under your bed and coming out at midnight to make faces at you!Shyamala Auntyriyya6 wrote:10q pals.. Oh that guy..l I'm so confuse all of them look alike....

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by Maria J on 2013-08-03, 23:04

sashashyam wrote:
Riyya, you should be ashamed of yourself, and this after 6 weeks of watching Rajput ,,, oops! Rajvanshi royalty day after day! If you do not pull up your socks and improve your facial recognition abilities, rest assured the ghost of Mansingh will haunt you, hiding under your bed and coming out at midnight to make faces at you!Shyamala Auntyriyya6 wrote:10q pals.. Oh that guy..l I'm so confuse all of them look alike....

:lol!:

Maria J
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 8584
Join date : 2013-02-07

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 23:15

Thanks a lot, Riyya, and now get busy learning to recognise Mansingh!Shyamala Auntyriyya6 wrote:...Thumbsup ...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-03, 23:52

Dear Shyamala .. Are you on phone or iPad or a PC .. Because I was wondering about  the reason behind your replies appearing over the quotes whereas for us it appears below the quotes .. 
scratch

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Posts : 27532
Join date : 2013-02-04

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-03, 23:59

No, I do it from my  laptop. Why is it different for you folks? Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:Dear Shyamala .. Are you on phone or iPad or a PC .. Because I was wondering about  the reason behind your replies appearing over the quotes whereas for us it appears below the quotes .. 
scratch

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-04, 00:18

sashashyam wrote:
No, I do it from my  laptop. Why is it different for you folks? Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:Dear Shyamala .. Are you on phone or iPad or a PC .. Because I was wondering about  the reason behind your replies appearing over the quotes whereas for us it appears below the quotes .. 
scratch

 Your all three posts in this forum are awesome Shyamala .. Which forum/show were you writing for earlier .. i want to read all your posts ...

See your quote appears above my reply .. But in your case it is appearing above it .. Not that it is of any importance ..I was  Just wondering ...

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Posts : 27532
Join date : 2013-02-04

Back to top Go down

Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-04, 01:04

Well, Sumana, this is the kind of minor mystery that would have delighted Miss Marple!As for my posts, I began with the one TV serial I had  watched continuously, mostly out of sheer inertia,Pavitra Rishta, also from Balaji. I was there for about 6 months from April 2012, in terms of doing standalone posts, with the tagline PR Today.Then the storyline deteriorated and I stopped making independent posts, except for a highly sardonic 4 parter called PR Today: Comedy Circus 1-4 early  this year. Then I quit completely, both watching and posting.From September 2012, for about 4 months,I did detailed analyses of about 8 individual episodes (out of 30 plus telecast till then) of a police procedural show on Star Plus called Arjun, which I still watch, for it is the best thing of its genre on Indian TV at the moment.  They were very rigorous, pointing out all the bloopers and the loopholes. I tired of that by the year end, for there were only about a  dozen members really interested in the minutiae of detective work; most of the younger lot were the cheerleader type. However at least half a dozen of those young people still insist that I comment on their FFs and OSes as they appear,and I do  that still, as I am fond of them.For a month from early May 2013, I wrote regularly on a specific track in one of my favourite shows, DKD Mahadev, the Jalandhar track. I shifted to the FB page of the writer of the show, Utkarsh Naithani, and got to know him well. He even dedicated a scene in that track to me, which was very sweet of him. After the Jalandhar track was over,I dropped out, but Utkarsh has promised that he will be doing something riskier than Jalandhar in a few months, and then I will go back to his FB page. The DKDM forum is at times a little  too much like a prayer meeting.That is about it, and then in the Jodha Akbar IF forum from June 30, though, with 14 posts done by  last night, it feels as if I have been there forever! I am likely to stay there till the end, unless the output needed, including replyng to individual comments, gets to be too much!If you can tell me how to locate all of one writer's posts in the IF, do let me know.I would appreciate it.  A young friend in the PR forum had located all of mine and was rejoicing about that, but it never occurred to me to ask her how she did it. Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:
sashashyam wrote:
No, I do it from my  laptop. Why is it different for you folks? Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:Dear Shyamala .. Are you on phone or iPad or a PC .. Because I was wondering about  the reason behind your replies appearing over the quotes whereas for us it appears below the quotes .. 
scratch

 Your all three posts in this forum are awesome Shyamala .. Which forum/show were you writing for earlier .. i want to read all your posts ...

See your quote appears above my reply .. But in your case it is appearing above it .. Not that it is of any importance ..I was  Just wondering ...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Posts : 855
Join date : 2013-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-04, 01:39

sashashyam wrote:
Well, Sumana, this is the kind of minor mystery that would have delighted Miss Marple!As for my posts, I began with the one TV serial I had  watched continuously, mostly out of sheer inertia,Pavitra Rishta, also from Balaji. I was there for about 6 months from April 2012, in terms of doing standalone posts, with the tagline PR Today.Then the storyline deteriorated and I stopped making independent posts, except for a highly sardonic 4 parter called PR Today: Comedy Circus 1-4 early  this year. Then I quit completely, both watching and posting.From September 2012, for about 4 months,I did detailed analyses of about 8 individual episodes (out of 30 plus telecast till then) of a police procedural show on Star Plus called Arjun, which I still watch, for it is the best thing of its genre on Indian TV at the moment.  They were very rigorous, pointing out all the bloopers and the loopholes. I tired of that by the year end, for there were only about a  dozen members really interested in the minutiae of detective work; most of the younger lot were the cheerleader type. However at least half a dozen of those young people still insist that I comment on their FFs and OSes as they appear,and I do  that still, as I am fond of them.For a month from early May 2013, I wrote regularly on a specific track in one of my favourite shows, DKD Mahadev, the Jalandhar track. I shifted to the FB page of the writer of the show, Utkarsh Naithani, and got to know him well. He even dedicated a scene in that track to me, which was very sweet of him. After the Jalandhar track was over,I dropped out, but Utkarsh has promised that he will be doing something riskier than Jalandhar in a few months, and then I will go back to his FB page. The DKDM forum is at times a little  too much like a prayer meeting.That is about it, and then in the Jodha Akbar IF forum from June 30, though, with 14 posts done by  last night, it feels as if I have been there forever! I am likely to stay there till the end, unless the output needed, including replyng to individual comments, gets to be too much!If you can tell me how to locate all of one writer's posts in the IF, do let me know.I would appreciate it.  A young friend in the PR forum had located all of mine and was rejoicing about that, but it never occurred to me to ask her how she did it. Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:
sashashyam wrote:
No, I do it from my  laptop. Why is it different for you folks? Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:Dear Shyamala .. Are you on phone or iPad or a PC .. Because I was wondering about  the reason behind your replies appearing over the quotes whereas for us it appears below the quotes .. 
scratch

 Your all three posts in this forum are awesome Shyamala .. Which forum/show were you writing for earlier .. i want to read all your posts ...

See your quote appears above my reply .. But in your case it is appearing above it .. Not that it is of any importance ..I was  Just wondering ...

 Thank you Shayamala for sharing this with me .. I found all your posts in IFs.. You have the same ID there so it was easy for me  to locate ...

For locating all your posts you have to click on your name/ID ..this will take you to your profile page ... Then you click  on MY POSTS box which is next to the PM box ....

These two boxes are located right below .. The heading ..."shashashyam's profile"

Please try this out and let me know if you succeeded in locating your posts ... It will always be my pleasure to help you in any way you want my dear friend :sunny: 

Even I was very active in IF .. In IPK amd 2612/2613 forums till about fourmonths  back .following which I shifted to Dhwani along with all my friends here ..

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Posts : 27532
Join date : 2013-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 34: Prelude to the Storm

Post by Sponsored content Today at 09:35


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum