Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 36: Shahi Shaadi 2: Imperial flush

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 36: Shahi Shaadi 2: Imperial flush

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-07, 13:50

Posted: 06 August 2013

Today’s episode - bookended between Jodha burning the shaadi ka joda on the one hand, and  the shart  scene on the other -  belonged, beyond the shadow of a doubt, to Jalal the Emperor.  By his unruffled and effortless domination of all around him, Rajputs or Mughals,  Jalal shows  that he is now truly the master, and not just in his own house.  He is coolly  decisive, making his moves with unerring skill and a firm grasp of the psychology of the opponent, unmoved to hasty anger, with  his  steely gaze always fixed on his ultimate goal, to rule over all of Hindustan.

And of course checkmating Jodha and  putting her firmly in her place. Underneath every move of Jalal's today, , there is a  smouldering, suppressed rage against Jodha for insulting him so  blatantly,  and that  bodes  ill for her life in Agra, even if she is able to cope with the very special istaqbal (reception) he is planning for her there.

By episode end, Jalal has won hands down over Jodha, and this with all  the appearance of great magnanimity, patience, and consideration for her  and for hers.  What he really feels is in his eyes as   he leaves the hall after accepting both her conditions; she alone sees it and despairs for her future.

I  am a good bit of a female chauvinist, and normally, in any such clash, I would always, instinctively, side with the woman. But not here. Jodha today let me down with a thud . She is not a tragic princess sacrificing herself on the altar of her duty, who puts her people above herself without question, as she claims earlier that she would. Instead, she is irresponsible, self-centred, and exceedingly foolish in her total lack of understanding of the consequences of her folly  for her father's subjects. Instead of seeking,and finding in herself  the courage to face down any odds, she wails and whimpers and feels sorry for herself.

Yesterday I had believed, and rejoiced,  in the prospect of her  rising above her shock and distress and making the best of the situation for the sake of Amer, while still seeking to preserve her individuality and her personal identity, religious and cultural. Today, if  tens of thousands of the dead and dying in Amer did not pay with the destruction of their lives for her selfcentredness, if the terrible trio of Mahaam Anga, Adham Khan and Sharifuddin were not able to feast like vultures on the despoiled ruins of Amer, it was not thanks to Jodha.

It was rather because  Jalal had the wisdom, and the self-restraint, not to let himself be stampeded into crushing Amer to salve  his personal ego.  Because he rates the reputation of his royal line, and his own as emperor, above such petty self-gratification. He is angry at Jodha, yes, even coldly furious, and he has every intention of paying her back. But he puts that in a separate compartment;  he can look beyond that  to  see the broad picture, and his own place in history, and it is this that saves Amer.

It is not compassion or simple  goodness of heart, not at all. Nor is it, as the romantics would undoubtedly interpret it, because he has fallen for Jodha without realizing it as yet, and he must have her at any cost, even of his pride. It is rather  a calculated  political move, a show of tolerance and accommodation extended to Bharmal and to Amer in the interest of the future of the Mughal dynasty in the Hindustan he seeks to unite under his  aegis.

Checkmate 1: The main hall in the Amer royal family's  encampment . On either side of the curtain, Jalal and Jodha are seated, facing each other. Her face is veiled , and so are her downcast eyes as she begins to speak, setting out her two sharts. At the second, Jalal springs up,  his face hardening – but is it anger at Jodha's presumption or is it shock?

He begins to pace up and down like a panther, his keen, narrowed eyes always on Jodha's face. At one  point she raises her eyes and meets his, but only for  a fleeting moment, while Motibai, in the background, smiles in anticipation of the success of  her mistress's stratagem. Jalal does not miss either. Suddenly he stops, and  begins to speak Aapki shartein bahut badi hain, shehzadi —and he catches the tiny smile at the corner of Jodha's mouth. Par itni nahin ki Hindustan ka shahenshah Jalaluddin unhe poora na kar sake. Jodha's face crunples from the shock and her eyes brim over with sudden tears. Even her veil and the curtain combined cannot hide her misery. Jalal sits down and reiterates Aapki donon shartein hame manzoor hain, and rising, looks down into Jodha's tearful face as he sketches an aadaab for her, head bent in an  exaggerated flourish of secret triumph.

Jodha, trying to outwit a master of the game,  is herself outwitted when Jalal thinks two moves ahead of her.  There  is now no way of escape for her. The hosannas to her sung by her relieved and joyful family ring hollow in her ears. Checkmate.

Checkmate 2: Mahaam Anga is already furious.  Her  joyful anticipation  of the destruction of Amer  by an enraged Jalal has come to naught, because Jodha has, unexpectedly, agreed  to the  marriage. Now, with Jalal having accepted what she sees as  Jodha's disgraceful conditions, Mahaam Anga's cup of fury  runneth over. She  scolds Jalal for his having consented to Jodha having a mandir in the Agra palace. He sits there, still and unmoved, until  his patience snaps under her nagging. Hum Shahenshah hain, Badiammi. Bina kisise pooche kuch bhi kar sakte hain. Nontheless, he still explains  his reasons, lucidly and with patent wisdom, but she goes on and on, now citing the kanoon  of the harem  that cannot be broken. That does it. He states, not in anger but with rocklike firmness, Hum  jo kehte hain, wohi kanoon ban jaata hai.

Sheh par mat nahin: Jodha is  smarting under the barely  veiled barbs of Mahaam Anga while she hands over the exquisite shaadi ka joda. This worsens as she looks at all the jewellery gifted to her by Jalal, and remembers the sacrilegious depredations of the Mughal soldiers at the Kali Mandir. Her face rigid with suppressed fury, she receives the joda, but immediately flings it at a  lit pedestal  lamp. It catches fire and goes up in flames, as Mahaam Anga screams dire warnings and the unfortunate Mynavati, after one look at the charred outfit and Jodha's rigid face, set in acute hostility,  collapses nearby.

The heedless irresponsibility of what Jodha does, and this after her mother's grave warning just minutes earlier, shows her lack of both maturity and of the courage she talks about earlier, when she claims that she would be ready to sacrifice herself for Amer. When the time comes for her to walk the talk, she is  found sadly wanting, for all she can do is to weep about her maan and sammaan, and voice her hatred of Jalal, with nary a thought for the fate of Amer.

The  insult to the emperor  is a very grave one, but Jalal does not let that, or Mahaam Anga's vociferous complaints, echoed by Adham Khan and Sharifuddin, stampede him into war against Amer. He understands, though  they will  not,  that a bloody and destructive military campaign by the Mughals against Amer  because of this failed marriage, will  make the Rajputs martyrs and besmirch his own reputation for all time to come. He too seeks revenge on Jodha, but not at this juncture,  nor in this manner.
So it is sheh for Jodha when she defiantly sets fire to the shaadi ka joda, but Jalal prevents it from becoming mat.

Jodha: Even after this narrow escape for Amer, Jodha still cannot see the big picture, but only her need to avoid this hateful marriage at any cost. So  she schemes again, this time to get Jalal to back out of the marriage by making what she thinks are  impossible demands on him.

What she forgets is that even if he does drop the idea, and does not attack Amer to take revenge, Bharmal and Amer would be back in the same parlous plight in which they were before Chughtai Khan took Bharmal to meet the Shahenshah. Sharifuddin would again have squeexed Amer dry under the thread of destruction in a mukammal jung, and then annexed it when the royal  treasury was bankrupt. That her ploy fails, and this sad prospect along with it, is another matter altogether.

Bharmal was criticized yesterday for seeming unfeeling towards Jodha's shock and distress, and worrying much more about Jalal's reaction to her running away from the muhdikhayi. But one has  to see things  from Bharmal the Raja's point of view. Jodha  agreed, voluntarily,  to make whatever sacrifice was called for from her  to save Amer, and it was she who stops him from revealing the name of her husband to be. I agree that he should have persisted and broken the news to her later. But he does not, and now things are at the DDay-1. At this stage, he cannot afford any breakdown, which will inevitably lead to Jalal waging mukammal jung  and destroying Amer. Seen against this, to him, Jodha, however much he loves her, is dispensable.  And I would agree with the otherwise stupid man on this,

Jodha, after all those grand statements of being ready to do anything for Amer, should now have tried to get over the shock and also tried to understand what was at stake and acted accordingly. Instread she seems  to have forgotten all about that promise of hers and is busy bemoaning her fate.  In fact, the way she behaves at first, till her mother reads her the riot act,  justifies the deception her family practiced, something that I had criticized sharply in an earlier post. Now I am not so sure.

Plus, for a Rajput princess, Jodha seems to have very little understanding of the ground realities of political and military power. Or of the real strength  of the Mughals. If she did, she would not be dreaming of getting a husband who could defeat Jalal.  Does she even wonder how this supposed veer could get her brothers freed by the Mughals? No, she  does not. She sees nothing but what she wants to see.

In Rajput royal families like Jodha's,  the sons and daughters are expected to put their duty to their people first, above themselves, and this is what Jodha pledges to do. Now it is delivery time, and she finds it tough. I can understand that, for it is normal human weakness. But what I cannot understand is her sparing not a single thought for her beloved Amer.

Bharmal has his faults, but in this case , he is in such a tight situation that he cannot indulge Jodha in her hesitations and her revulsion. But he still looks shamefaced, and he still gives her a choice. Most other fathers in that age would not have  done any of that. They would have demanded, and got, implicit obedience, and frogmarched their daughter into the  marriage, however unpleasant it might be, for their subjects would have to come first, always and every time. 

Of course, this critique is of Jodha the character, not of Paridhi the actress , who does a very good job of it today too, and continues to look gorgeous.  But it was Jalal's show all the way, and of course of Rajat's superb, controlled take on him, characterized above all by tehraav and a gravitas beyond his years.\

Shyamala B.Cowsik

PS: The precap is another of Jodha's pointless hiccups, that is all, and so not worth  bothering about.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 36: Shahi Shaadi 2: Imperial flush

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-07, 14:00

Shyamala Aunty......This is my first show of rajat Tokas and he is soon on his way to make me forget Hrithik Roshan Wink

As I said in Tanthya's post here is Dhwani, yesterday, it was all about Jalal's actions VS Jodha's reactions....while it should have been the other way round.

Jalal's each and every move, in all the scenes were just SUPERB :) Even Paridhi is coming into groove :)

@your post: since I have already told u what I felt  but will not shy away from mentioning once again......I wish to read your novel one day :) 

And yes, Get well soon, shahi saptah wont be the same if ur not one of the key member :)

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by riyya6 on 2013-08-07, 14:01

Extracted from IF:-

Shymala aunthy : ...Thumbsup  Loved reading you......

in my view what Jodha did is justified. I agree as a princess duty comes first but in her case, what did happen to her, her dad made a deal, wanted to tell her, but the moment she tells that she dun wanna know who is it, he took the easy way out n waited. That Day Jodha did fulfill a duty as a princess saying i will marry for the sake of Ameer...... What she is doing now is because she feels cheated by her family n the most important thing Jalal Ka Sar mission cannot be completed, she wanted head now she got full package .... Look at how Bharmal came to give her poison but blackmail her emotionally. That girl had no where to vent. Every where she turns she sees the message Marry Jalal. I find only Moti Bhai was genuine yday. Look at her brothers.. oh god, they are like Jodha u must marry then only we will be safe... In fact the Queen was convincing enough as all this while she tried to change her fate, fate of Jodha but she knows now nothing can be done. Again helpless but she kind of make up her mind Jodha needs to marry Jalal for a better cause. No one actually bothered what Jodha felt.. n is going thru... In my view if at all Bharmal n family had make it clear to Jodha earlier abt getting her married to Jalal lots of things would have not happen. Jodha would have prepared by then. Being courages n brave does not mean one canot be weak. ATM i feel for her as a woman, what is she going thru. She def is not seeing the bigger picture here.

Jodha has always been pampered. Look at her, she sees things black / white n shes living in her own world. A world that she wants 2. Shes not like Jalal. Jalal is trained to be like that. He knows how to move n wer to hit. She going away from Ameer to AGRA will teach her all this n it will be a new experience for her altogether.  Looking at all this i felt Jodha was justified.

Bharmal gave her some sort of advise yday n one thing that caught my attention she said she will be one of the queens among the many. But even though she will be among the other queen she will def be Special as compared to others...

As for the shart, i find in this serial it was shown better compared to the movie. I still believe that yes Jodha put the shart with the hope Jalal will back off but oh god he put a checkmate on her. Her last try / hope all now... Gone... Its time for her to accept the fate now n she needs to marry Jalal as there is no option left, n yeah for AMEER, proving to be the real princess putting aside everything else that matters. Many have said that it will be interesting journey that Jalal will have to see n accept the religion Jodha is practising. I think both needs to learn n accept each other. Even Jodha needs to see Mughals in a new dimensions. WHat is there in name Mughal, Rajput... its all heart that matters n both Jodha N Jalal Def has it. As for Jalal its just not 100% heart. Hes an emperor n he needs to do what the best. I still like even though Jodha put the shart to make Jalal back off, but shes still showing Jalal This is me... N i think this will be one of the elements that will keep bringing Jalal to her...What i cant accept is her family telling how happy they are not knowing / dunt want to know what Jodha is going thru. Even Meinawati was kind of convince when Jalal said Yes... Mayb deep inside her heart, she knows Jalal is not that bad...I fail to understand... A family who suppose to be on Jodha side, is now unsure and feels its better to get Jodha out from Ameer come what may...... A girl who wanted to family support could not find any but as a princess she finds that her family telling her duty matters ... The price she needs to pay being a princess

MA and Jalal scene ... Loved how Jalal gave her back in every way ... MA must be thinking What happen to Jalal ... Aunty i do feel Jalal knowing abt BK death n MA hands in it, have some effect on the ways Jalal sees things besides hes making his own decision now......

All in All i really fely for Jodha ...... Im not sure what is awaiting her at AGRa but im sure she will get through everything come what may...

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-07, 14:04

riyya6 wrote:Extracted from IF:-

Shymala aunthy : ...Thumbsup  Loved reading you......

in my view what Jodha did is justified. I agree as a princess duty comes first but in her case, what did happen to her, her dad made a deal, wanted to tell her, but the moment she tells that she dun wanna know who is it, he took the easy way out n waited. That Day Jodha did fulfill a duty as a princess saying i will marry for the sake of Ameer...... What she is doing now is because she feels cheated by her family n the most important thing Jalal Ka Sar mission cannot be completed, she wanted head now she got full package .... Look at how Bharmal came to give her poison but blackmail her emotionally. That girl had no where to vent. Every where she turns she sees the message Marry Jalal. I find only Moti Bhai was genuine yday. Look at her brothers.. oh god, they are like Jodha u must marry then only we will be safe... In fact the Queen was convincing enough as all this while she tried to change her fate, fate of Jodha but she knows now nothing can be done. Again helpless but she kind of make up her mind Jodha needs to marry Jalal for a better cause. No one actually bothered what Jodha felt.. n is going thru... In my view if at all Bharmal n family had make it clear to Jodha earlier abt getting her married to Jalal lots of things would have not happen. Jodha would have prepared by then. Being courages n brave does not mean one canot be weak. ATM i feel for her as a woman, what is she going thru. She def is not seeing the bigger picture here.

Jodha has always been pampered. Look at her, she sees things black / white n shes living in her own world. A world that she wants 2. Shes not like Jalal. Jalal is trained to be like that. He knows how to move n wer to hit. She going away from Ameer to AGRA will teach her all this n it will be a new experience for her altogether.  Looking at all this i felt Jodha was justified.

Bharmal gave her some sort of advise yday n one thing that caught my attention she said she will be one of the queens among the many. But even though she will be among the other queen she will def be Special as compared to others...

As for the shart, i find in this serial it was shown better compared to the movie. I still believe that yes Jodha put the shart with the hope Jalal will back off but oh god he put a checkmate on her. Her last try / hope all now... Gone... Its time for her to accept the fate now n she needs to marry Jalal as there is no option left, n yeah for AMEER, proving to be the real princess putting aside everything else that matters. Many have said that it will be interesting journey that Jalal will have to see n accept the religion Jodha is practising. I think both needs to learn n accept each other. Even Jodha needs to see Mughals in a new dimensions. WHat is there in name Mughal, Rajput... its all heart that matters n both Jodha N Jalal Def has it. As for Jalal its just not 100% heart. Hes an emperor n he needs to do what the best. I still like even though Jodha put the shart to make Jalal back off, but shes still showing Jalal This is me... N i think this will be one of the elements that will keep bringing Jalal to her...What i cant accept is her family telling how happy they are not knowing / dunt want to know what Jodha is going thru. Even Meinawati was kind of convince when Jalal said Yes... Mayb deep inside her heart, she knows Jalal is not that bad...I fail to understand... A family who suppose to be on Jodha side, is now unsure and feels its better to get Jodha out from Ameer come what may...... A girl who wanted to family support could not find any but as a princess she finds that her family telling her duty matters ... The price she needs to pay being a princess

MA and Jalal scene ... Loved how Jalal gave her back in every way ... MA must be thinking What happen to Jalal ... Aunty i do feel Jalal knowing abt BK death n MA hands in it, have some effect on the ways Jalal sees things besides hes making his own decision now......

All in All i really fely for Jodha ...... Im not sure what is awaiting her at AGRa but im sure she will get through everything come what may...

Loved reading u Riyya.... Thumbsup

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 01:49

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum