Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 37: Shahi Shaadi 3 - Wedding blues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-08, 11:53

Eureka! I have finally achieved my heart's desire, of an episode during this Shahi Shaadi Saptah which is long on spectacle and short on  substance.  The first two were anything but short on substance, but today, things were better, though not as much as I would have preferred. So here goes with all the bits and pieces.

The Wedding: It was appropriately  rich is tone and texture throughout, even though the venue was restricted and the rasams were far fewer than I would have liked. In fact, leaving aside the  wedding proper, there were only the ceremonies at the entrance of the groom  at the beginning,  and the jootiyan churana at the end. It would have been far better to have included a  few more Rajasthani customs,  instead of wasting time and footage on Sujamal skulking  around in the most improbable fashion,  attempting to masquerade as a waiter right under the noses of not just Sharifuddin but the Amer royals,  and worse, the even  more improbable Mahaam Anga and Adham Khan shouting match.

It boggled the mind to see the astute Mahaam Anga  slapping her criminal dolt of  a son (for such a short woman, she sure has a solid forearm action, for the huge Adham reels sideways every time she has a go at him!) and yelling at him, barely  20 feet away from the wedding havan kund. And this not only for eyeing the maids but also for having hatched the plot to assassinate Jalal! She might as well have shouted all this out in the town square. Why on earth would she not wait till they were alone  in their khema that night?

The one point of note here is Mahaam's apparent devotion to Jalal and to protecting him, for all that she will not expose her son for the murder attempt, or indeed do anything more than warn him not to be such a fool that he would take them  both down thru his idiocies. Not that he will heed any of her warnings, whether about the maids (it was side-splitting that his fancy alights on Motibai, who is very far from being attractive. It is clear that he is going to fall foul of Jodha very  soon by making passes at her) or about Jalal.

Sight of the day: Jalal's bewilderment  when faced with a kneeling saas-to-be with two matkas on her head! And again when she is apparently measuring him from toe to top with  a red cord, and brushing him around the head with a branch of neem leaves to ward off the evil eye.  By now, Mynavati seems far more at home with her javaisa, and Jalal the Jallad seems to have faded away.

And yes, I forgot the startling spectacle of Adham Khan doing an aarti of the bride, after his technique was suitably corrected by the pandit! The most noteworthy point here was Sharifuddin's obvious jealousy when Jalal asked Adham, his foster brother, to stand in for his father.  However, he soon realized that it was a public place, and rearranged his face to make it look passably pleasant.

The jootiyan churana episode ended on a very charming note, with Jalal picking up his littlest saali,  showering them all with gifts, and triumphantly looking back at Jodha when one of the girls declares, in ringing tones, that jeejaji is not just bahut achche,but also gore chitte! This last gave rise to a momentous development, the first glance, as distinct from glare, exchanged between Jodha, who seemed taken aback by this unexpected side of her patidev's  persona, and Jalal.

But the initial anger displayed, when Jalal's jootis go missing,  by both Sharifuddin ( who digs up the infamous foot chopping episode; this was obviously meant by the CVs  to further stoke Jodha's revulsion against Jalal) , and by Jalal himself  (in a kind of throwback to the first two episodes), was excessive and uncalled for. Jalal's Amer inlaws seemed paralysed with shock and dismay at this explosion of wrath, and no wonder.

Equally curious and inappropriate was young Mansingh admonishing the Shahenshah for what he takes, quite wrongly, to be Jalal  ridiculing this custom. As Jodha swallows in nervous tension, Jalal reacts with surprising gentleness and patience. He does have a soft corner of the kid, and his nazrana for Mansingh might well be to take him to Agra with him.

The costumes of the  bridal pair were suitably gorgeous, especially Jodha's , in glowing yellows, with an identical zari applique of mango patterns on both the lehenga and the chunari. As you would have seen from my last post, I was  sharply critical of her burning the Dacca mulmul shaadi ka joda, but that regrettable act too had a silver lining, it seems. The yellow and gold outfit she eventually wore suited her far better than the Dacca muslin would ever have done!

Wedding rites:  I am not au fait with the details of Rajasthani wedding customs, but in the traditional saat phere, the groom goes first for the first four pheras,  and then the bride takes the lead for the next three,   as she intends to confront  Yama himself, were he to turn up,and protect her husband's life like Savitri did for Satyavan. But here, Jodha went first for 4 pheras, and then Jalal for the last three. And in  the saptapadi, the man usually takes each of the 7 steps first, and  the bride follows him,but here  it was the opposite. Then again, there was no mangalsutra, which is almost universal in the rest of India, and the maang bharna  was  taken as the final seal of the marriage.

I have also never heard of the bride taking any vows, though I dare say they might have dug this custom up from somewhere. The point obviously was  to get Jodha to voice her gratification at having him for her dev! Jodha had by then got over the reluctance that made her pull her hand away from Jalal's earlier, and she spoke her vows fairly firmly, despite being acutely conscious of Jalal''s amused attentiveness.

As for the hand angle, once Jodha's  hand had been firmly placed is his by Mynavati, the mischievous Jalal rammed the point home  by imprisoning it  for a little while between both of his, in order to enjoy her discomfiture. This apart, he seemed to be enjoying himself thoroughly right thru, and he was relaxed throughout, not reacting even when Jodha pulled her hand away. He did nothing, and simply waited till Mynavati sorted it out for him. 

Jalal, when confirning to his entourage  that this wedding would be entirely according to Hindu customs, assures them that the Mughal ceremonies would be held at Agra - he cannot afford to  give them the  impression  that he has caved in to all of Bharmal's requests. Despite this,  Mahaam Anga, who is constantly riled by Jalal permitting these Hindu rites,  jumps in to add a Muslim one  by tying a taveez  on Jodha's arm, statedly to  ward off any problems that might face her. As Mahaam intoned these words, I was thinking Par sabse badi takleef to aap hi hain! Jodha too seems to be decidedly skeptical as she peers up at Mahaam Anga as the latter is tying the taveez.

The assassination plot: This seemed far too pat and amateurish to be credible, and if there had been even a halfway effective investigation, Adham Khan would have been exposed at once. Jalal sounded naive when not just excusing but actually commending Adham Khan for killing that Aslam Khan on the spot before he could be forced to identify his employer.

But what stayed with me was the supreme self confidence with which Jalal asserts that even if he had been sleeping in the room, nothing would have happened to him. It reminded me of his telling Abdul, before they leave for the Amer adventure, that death itself fears and avoids him.  This tremendous self belief,  and faith in his manifest destiny , are the true marks  of a great ruler, and no wonder Jalal became Akbar, or  The Great!

Fate's soldier: During the sentimental reminiscing in the beginning, Myanavati gives Jodha a very sound,  and indeed inspired piece of advice. Destiny, she asserts, chooses its soldiers, those who will not run away from their fate but accept it and build on it. She tells Jodha  to accept this marriage  as a  ruling of fate, do her best to make it work,  and also fufil her duties  (karm)  in her sasural. This advice will  definitely have a major bearing on Jodha's future relationship with Jalal, by helping to smooth out its roughest edges.

Already, the shrewd Mahaam Anga,  spotting, even from behind his sehra, the way in which Jalal watches Jodha unceasingly, has begun to suspect that for  him, she is no run of the mill begum. Knowing Jalal inside out  as she does, she senses that there is something different this time. Something disturbing. Something unsettling. One can be sure that she will try  her best to nip this in the bud,  and to  trip Jodha up in Agra, probably by recruiting Ruqaiya too for this task.

The precap: It is unintentionally comic, implying, as it does, that Jodha  hoped to hold off a warrior like Jalal with that gift khanjar. The only question now is whether he has cut his hand. As for the rest, there is no room for any doubt, for Jalal would never force himself on any woman, not even one he wants to tame. It remains to be seen how this plays out. I hope they handle it with finesse.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 37: Shahi Shaadi 3 - Wedding blues

Post by riyya6 on 2013-08-08, 11:55

Shyamala aunthy  Once again a very good post... Loved reading you...

1. I think the wedding rituals was just perfect... Im pretty sure if they would add more rituals it could be bored for certain group of viewers... So I think they pick n choose the important ones that they made the highlight ... So it was good... Both jodha n jalal was too good, can't take my eyes from them... 

2. The sujamal scene, Adam khan scene, I think was add on the the epi to make it balance up... The total package that is offered to the viewers... I'm suprise so far we had three epi each abt 40 minutes app. But I was not bored... Ekta manage to hold the attention... In other shows wer usually they have maha epi its usually a disaster with unnessacary track laid out n by that time viewers will be ..l

3. Seems like Motibai has got a track 2 with Adam khan.  It could also pay ways for jodha seeing jalal differently here in terms of woman matters. Mayb not so soon but for future tracks. I have one question here why adham khan did not eye for sukanya here ... 

4. Loved maham anga, she is lready suspecting there is more than what is told to her... Something is not right she's sensing it... The way he gave a look when she tied  something on jodha, ufff... 

5. Loved all the Rajputs as well but when the shoe scene comes, why can't anyone open Their mouth n tell. Man Singh did the honor though. What happen to jodha brothers n all. Here it seems only maan Singh was brave enough the others seems scared of the whole happening...

6. The scene with the children was cute n it's good to see a softer side of jalal here. I found jodha a bit suprise too, mayb not thinking he's good blah blah but that point of time a small realization from her end... The way jalal loved at jodha when the girl praised him, ufff too hot... Jodha was good 2, she kind of gave a fake smile there...

7. Precap: aunthy looks like his hand got hurt that's for sure, as he had bandage shown in one of the sbb/ sbs segments. I do hope too the scene is handle well. The moment her mum gave her the knife saying its fom her brother I knew it will be useful for sr attempts. Of course jodha using that knife against jalal is a bit not logic... But aunthy the precap was too hot to handle  I'm literally death 

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-08-08, 12:15

nice writeup Shyamala...

I am copy pasting my pointers from one other thread here...

Another interesting ritual- mangal sutra wasnt done.. I had read earlier that the practice of a man tying a ms around the girl's neck to make her his wife came about at the time of mughal invasion only when these mughal officials started to rampage and carry away beautiful girls, that MS was put around the girl's neck to signify that the girl is married and to let her go... unmarried girls were at the men's mercy but married girls were saved off their dignity this way... Also since the girls used to cover their head so those sindoor was not visible!

I dont know about the pheres though, in different customs, man or woman lead interchangably!

And about the vachan, doesnt the man get to give promises too? Hindu rituals have man giving his promise to look after her and take care of her and all that blah blah...but Ja didnt give any promise partiality yaar! but still if Ja spoke out those promises, I dont think Jo would have been gloating like Ja was doing when he heard her utter those promises... she would have cringed!

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-08, 13:38

Thanks. There were other important omissions. wrote:
You would have noted the absence of the jaimala ceremony, which is pretty much mandatory all over India. I wonder why it was left out. I must look at the episode again but I was not sure they showed a kanyadaan at all, unless it was lost out while Mahaam Anga was screaming at her son. There was a moment when Bharmal and Mynavati put their hands together and offered an aahuti, but in the kanyadaan, there are only the father of the bride, the bride and the groom, with the groom putting his hand under that of the bride as her father hands it to him. It is the greatest of daans, the kanyadaan,and they  should not have left it out, as I am almost sure they did. We do not have the sindoor daan in the South, but the thali (mangalsutra) is mandatory. Your explanation is very likely the real reason it was not shown here. In Tamil weddings, there is an additional ritual where the groom declares that he has become a vairagi, and having lost all interest in marriage, is going to leave at once for Kashi (Varanasi) to become an ascetic. The bride's father coaxes him to come back by explaining all the manifold advantages of the grihastahtama. This ritual is called the Kashiyatra.I read on another thread a very nice explanation for why Bharmal and Mynavati turn away at the time of the sindoor daan, which I will reproduce here.Sindoor daan is considered as the ultimate ritual which bind the husband wife together..So after Pani grahan ie Kanya daan and Saptapadi when the groom offers sindoor the parents turn away their head or do not follow the main ritual as they say that its a too emotional a moment and thus apni hi nazar lag jati hai..this turning way is  apart of  the wedding ritual ..Later when the sindoor daan is finished..The groom covers her  head with a cloth so that he declares to the world that she belongs to him now.. Shyamala Abavinice writeup Shyamala...

Another interesting ritual- mangal sutra wasnt done.. I had read earlier that the practice of a man tying a ms around the girl's neck to make her his wife came about at the time of mughal invasion only when these mughal officials started to rampage and carry away beautiful girls, that MS was put around the girl's neck to signify that the girl is married and to let her go... unmarried girls were at the men's mercy but married girls were saved off their dignity this way... Also since the girls used to cover their head so those sindoor was not visible!

I dont know about the pheres though, in different customs, man or woman lead interchangably!

And about the vachan, doesnt the man get to give promises too? Hindu rituals have man giving his promise to look after her and take care of her and all that blah blah...but Ja didnt give any promise partiality yaar! but still if Ja spoke out those promises, I dont think Jo would have been gloating like Ja was doing when he heard her utter those promises... she would have cringed!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-08, 14:07

Thank you Shyamala for sharing your post here with us in Dhwani ... Love reading your awesome posts every time ....

I agree with your pointers ..  in the off screen segment of SBS they had shown the discomfort of Jodha in that heavy wedding jewelry .. 

so they might have decided to use cinematic liberties to edit out the scenes and used Mahamangha and Sujamal scenes as fillers 

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-08-08, 14:11

sashashyam wrote:
Abavi wrote:nice writeup Shyamala...

Thanks. There were other important omissions."]
You would have noted the absence of the jaimala ceremony, which is pretty much mandatory all over India. I wonder why it was left out. I must look at the episode again but I was not sure they showed a kanyadaan at all, unless it was lost out while Mahaam Anga was screaming at her son. There was a moment when Bharmal and Mynavati put their hands together and offered an aahuti, but in the kanyadaan, there are only the father of the bride, the bride and the groom, with the groom putting his hand under that of the bride as her father hands it to him. It is the greatest of daans, the kanyadaan,and they should not have left it out, as I am almost sure they did. We do not have the sindoor daan in the South, but the thali (mangalsutra) is mandatory. Your explanation is very likely the real reason it was not shown here. In Tamil weddings, there is an additional ritual where the groom declares that he has become a vairagi, and having lost all interest in marriage, is going to leave at once for Kashi (Varanasi) to become an ascetic. The bride's father coaxes him to come back by explaining all the manifold advantages of the grihastahtama. This ritual is called the Kashiyatra.I read on another thread a very nice explanation for why Bharmal and Mynavati turn away at the time of the sindoor daan, which I will reproduce here.Sindoor daan is considered as the ultimate ritual which bind the husband wife together..So after Pani grahan ie Kanya daan and Saptapadi when the groom offers sindoor the parents turn away their head or do not follow the main ritual as they say that its a too emotional a moment and thus apni hi nazar lag jati hai..this turning way is apart of the wedding ritual ..Later when the sindoor daan is finished..The groom covers her head with a cloth so that he declares to the world that she belongs to him now.. Shyamala

Yeah I heard the same thing here too about the parents turning their head.

Yeah tamil weddings have this kasiyatra... and it is fun- But I keep wondering why we have that actually... why would a groom say I am leaving right in the middle of the wedding... and the girl's brother/ father has to convince him to come back and marry their sis/daughter... We sometimes have some naughty brothers of bride who say the groom to carry on with kasi yatra nonchalently, making the groom to finally give in and say no no I am not going anywhere...

Sindoor ceremony is there, though we get the groom to put the sindoor and not fill her maang completely.. I had been explaining in the other thread here about the sindoor ceremony in TN and AP.. which is not actually emotional but is accompanied by lot of leg pullings and fun making.. Copy pasting...

Down south the groom puts sindoor in front of the entire crowd, they even pose for pictures when they do it... and as the bride and groom stand/sit next to eachother, the girl would be to the man's right, so he has to put his hand around her and then touch her maang/forehead to colour it, in the process, bringing her head very close to his, the heads get tilted towards eachother, so we get to hear a lot of aww and ooh from the brides maids too..

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-08, 14:48

Hi Shyamal Aunty.....Once again a fabulous post...loved reading the pointers and the subsequent discussions too.

Now, some of the rituals which were shown or not shown......i guess...its because...initially the jaymala was not a ritual in particular which was followed in those days......even today...its not mandatory in most of the houses from Rajasthan,UP and Bihar....
It has become more of a fad now coz of mixing other  cultures and of course TV/movies.

Same is the kanyadaan....the one which was shown yesterday was followed then in that era or even very traditional families follow it now also.....mom-dad do the paanigrahan ...and then would be husband-wife follow it......then slowly over time .....it became groom-dad-bride thing...

having said all this.....there were defo some twists and turns to bring in more DRAMA...trust EKTA for that :)

Last edited by pollyanna on 2013-08-08, 14:55; edited 1 time in total

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-08-08, 14:53

pollyanna wrote:Hi Shyamal Aunty.....Once again a fabulous post...loved reading the pointers and the subsequent discussions too.

Now, some of the rituals which were shown or not shown......i guess...its because...initially the jaymala was not a ritual in particular which was followed in those days......even today...its not mandatory in most of the houses from Rajasthan,UP and Bihar....
It has become more of a fad now coz of mixing other  cultures and of course TV/movies.

Same is the kanyadaan....the one which was shown yesterday was followed then in that era or even very traditional families follow it now also.....mom-dad do the paanigrahan ...and then would be husband-wife follow it......then slowly over time .....it became groom-dad-bride thing...

yeah, in my custom too Mom and dad do kanyadaan together but here Pallo, did you notice the parents poured water on Jo's hand but they have to give kanyadhan to Ja na.. Ja's hand was not there.. thats why the confusion

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-08, 14:58

Abavi wrote:
pollyanna wrote:Hi Shyamal Aunty.....Once again a fabulous post...loved reading the pointers and the subsequent discussions too.

yeah, in my custom too Mom and dad do kanyadaan together but here Pallo, did you notice the parents poured water on Jo's hand but they have to give kanyadhan to Ja na.. Ja's hand was not there.. thats why the confusion

Vi......me thinks...(bride's mom-dad)---> bride---> (bride and groom)....

the least common factor---water

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2013-08-08, 20:51

Lovely post once again... i don't know all the rituals of the wedding and while sujamal and shrifuddin scenes were annoying I thou the wedding was done well, it wasn't too long and monotonous to become a bore...

Adham Khan is not a clever intelligent thing...its his mother that is the brains...but yeah maybe expect him b used to killing...as u said Jalal's confidence was great...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 21:29

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum