Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 40: An Emotional Fog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-13, 15:52

Folks, 

The one common factor in every segment  of today's episode was the confusion about what our principal dramatis personae  were really feeling, as distinct from what they professed, to others and to themselves, that they felt. It was this emotional fog in which they, especially the Shahenshah and his rebellious Begum, were groping that lent this otherwise overly melodramatic  episode an edge.
Jalal: What he feels most strongly, when Ruqaiya tells him about Jodha's desperate wish that he stay away from her,  is anger. But at what? Ruqaiya, whose perception of what makes others tick is totally blurred by her extreme self-centredness and vanity, thinks that his ego is hurt and that he will react accordingly.
Jalal himself believes that he hates Jodha as much and more than she hates him, and this bit of one-upmanship salves his ego, badly bruised at the very thought that she, a mere woman,  can actually reject him. For that is what Jodha's wish really amounts to. But is this ego hassle all that it is?
His whole tirade against her is, on the surface,  predicated on this egocentric approach. By asserting that his hatred for her is not merely greater than hers for him, but is far more effective when measured against its objective -  which is the humiliation and the overall crippling of its object -  he wants to prove that she can never win against him. That his will must always prevail, that he has won and she has lost.
When he tells the cornered Jodha, in a superbly violent and  stormy encounter,   that he can do anything to her by right, but will not, that he will in fact not even touch her, he adds that this is so that she does not develop any delusions that he desires her or loves her.  But why does he have to say this  at all? A king, or indeed any man,  does not have to love every woman with whom he has intimate relations, and where Jalal is concerned, the extent of the Shahi harem should be proof enough  of the truth of this dictum.  Why then?
Methinks Jalal protesteth way too much; more than trying to humiliate Jodha, he is really trying to convince himself that this is what he feels and this is why he behaves the way he does.
Mansi, where are you? This is a situation tailormade for your wise uncle's mirror image interpretation. This one, however, is not a rational explanation meant  to cover up an emotional reason; it is one emotional outburst to cover up another emotional  hurt, almost a wound, that is none the less deep for being unacknowledged, suppressed and totally denied.  
Mills and Boon will not be denied, apparently, for the very thin line between hate and love is the leit motif of their brand of romantic fiction. Anything is better, to their way of thinking, than indifference, which is the true negation of love. Hate, on the other hand, is a very near relation .
Jalal is clearly moving from one stage to another in his emotional graph, but how far, or how fast, one can only guess. The irony of this situation is that the catalyst for this shift in his subterranean mindset has been catalyzed, however inadvertently, by, of  all people, Ruqaiya!
Jodha: Hers is  an even more abstruse case. The clear-eyed and lucid conviction with which she seeks to bargain with Ruqaiya to secure her immunity from Jalal's unwelcome and frightening attentions speaks, again on the surface, of acute dislike, even hatred, for  him, and an aversion to any and all contact with him.  
Incidentally, Paridhi is very convincing in that scene, and the shifting emotions that flit across her face with each boastful sentence of Ruqaiya's are a treat to watch.
When Jalal does turn up, drunk and aggressive, Jodha's instinctive but rather childish attempts to hold him off are of a piece with the above, though they are bound to be not just useless but counterproductive.  
This includes her maddeningly logical explanation - abandoning her earlier tack of the need for him to respect her maan sammaan -  for why she sang what she sang at the jashn.That too  in a delightful little girl voice,  like a schoolgirl trying to convince  her furious teacher that she was being wrongly scolded and punished. Anyone could have guessed that this would ony enrage Jalal futher.
Let us grant that she knows no better, having led a very sheltered life.  So what happens next, right up to the time Jalal storms out of her boudoir?
First, she listens to him declaring in the most emphatic fashion possible that (a) he hates her from the bottom of his heart, (b) that he had married her only to crush her personality and cage her in the harem, (c) that she would learn what beizzati really was, and mar marke jeeyegi  and finally (d) that no one could protect her from him.
When she shrinks from the amorous advances he then makes, he is further enraged.  That ends in his pushing  her against the wall and then asserting, as noted above, that despite his conjugal rights,  he would not touch  her, in order not to give her any illusions that he desires her or loves her.
At the end of this  ultra turbulent encounter, Jodha, who by all logic should have been limp with relief and thanking her Kanha on her knees for having  listened to her prayers is, on the contrary, shattered. Her drawn face as she watches the retreating Jalal is a study in helpless anguish.  The same desperate sense of loss, of being without a mooring in life, is  evident from her subsequent conversation with Motibai. 
I thought I was making a sacrifice for Amer, she wails,  but Jalal has married me only so that he can destroy my life and salve his ego and arrogance. I thought that for the sake of the dignity of Amer, I would live out my life somehow, but now my existence  is rudderless.  What shall I do now? Where shall I go?
What is startling about this undoubtedly sincere lament is the lack of logic that lies at its core. Now that she is sure that Jalal is not, for whatever reason, going to make unwelcome advances towards her, that he also says that she will be safe and outwardly well respected in the harem,  whatever his personal hatred for  her, she should in  fact feel  that she is in clover. This, after all, is exactly  what she was seeking when she proposed that bargain to Ruqaiya. What then is so different, so hurtful, now that it causes her so much anguish?
There is only one thing that has changed between Jodha's tete a tete with Ruqaiya and after she has faced Jalal's venomous tirade. It is this: earlier, she had thought that Jalal  had manoeuvred her father into  this marriage because he wanted her, Jodha.  She hated him, but she assumed that he cared for her, in whatever fashion, and that he did want her. His behavior all thru  the wedding phase, and on the road to Agra,  must have strengthened this assumption of hers, which she undoubtedly told  herself was hateful to her, coming as it did from Jalal the Jallad.
Now, that bubble has burst,  and she faces the ugly new interpretation of all that Jalal has done to secure her. It is not wanting of any kind, but virulent hatred, and the accompanying urge to humiliate and cripple her whole  being. And this 'truth' is something she is unable to stand. It reduces her to a level  of abject misery never before seen on the face of this feisty young lady, who earlier  stands firm in the face of great adversity, but is now crushed by the realization that Jalal hates her with a corrosive hatred.
Why this should be so is something she, clearly, does not know. But perhaps we do.
There are others too who are befogged, beginning with Ruqaiya, but I will stop here, for my eyes are still far from recovered, and if my doctor knew what I am up to past midnight, or Gargi had any idea where I am, meri to khair nahin!
The latest Mansingh episode is of course going to turn out quite differently from the anticipated outcome over which Mahaam Anga and Adham Khana are licking their  chops in anticipation, and the cheeky brat will undoubtedly become even cheekier thanks to  Jalal' s indulgence towards him. He will probably be allowed to meet Jodha outside the harem.
And the latest promo, with the Shahenshah promising the victor in the chess match between Jodha and Ruqaiya one wish, whatever it might be, signals a clear shift, on Jalal's side,  away from the overt animosity of the boudoir clash with Jodha. Jodha will win, of course, and what then  will her wish be?
Plus, shatranj  being Jalal's favourite game, what does Jodha's now demonstrated expertise in the game of kings imply for their future interactions?
The Begum-e-Khaas will soon realise the wisdom in the warning of Mahaam Anga's mother: Beware of those who have no fear of losing anything, and of those who have no desire for anything. In that passage, when she warns Ruqaiya not to be complacent  about the threat that Jodha, who is so alag from others, will pose, Mahaam Anga shows the acute understanding of human nature, and the  clear-headed sense of judgement, unimpaired by wishful thinking, that have made her what she is.
Question of the day: How the devil did young Mansingh get into the Shahi harem? It seems to me that is what the Shahenshah should be looking into first!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 40: An Emotional Fog

Post by riyya6 on 2013-08-13, 16:00

Posted in main forum , posting here back for dhawani forum: 

10q so much for writing and sharing this with us. A very good write up...
I am actually confuse with the epi... I liked the Jodha n ruqaiyya convo, n the moment Jodha told her that she will some sort of listen to her if she can keep Jalal away from her. That was a master stroke to ruqaiyya. A lady who has been in power all this while n listening to Jodha saying hes not interested n not wanting jalal, probably 1st time shes hearing. She was indeed suprise in my view n i felt she thought Jodha is not such a threat ATM. Her convo further with MA proves this, but MA tells her to be carefull. a wise lady she is. As she knows Jodha is something different.

I liked how even with Jodha there, Jalal went loooking for ruqaiyya. Hes close to ruqaiyya n ask stated his fist night in Agra is usually spend with her. But what i dun get it why after Jalal being there, ruqaiyya brought Jodha matter there. Was it needed. She should have just spend the time with Jalal herself rather than making him going to Jodha. What was her purpose there. Or was it Maham anga warning that prompted her to make such a move... I was confuse in this part. If Ruqaiyya was a player she should have just waited n plan something else later. or was she trying to show Jodha her power here, as she finds she is not a threat as she does not want Jalal.

Earlier Jodha had a nightmare n was on the bed. How all of sudden she was sitted fresh n like waiting for someone. that was funny. N the moment Jalal enters why she puts something on her haed n covers it. Jalal is her husband i dun think she needs to do that. I find it weird how she tried to avoid Jalal... she should have just move backwards... it would have done wonders... Jalal n Jodha convo, for the first time i find Jodha is getting to know what Jalal feels abt her... i do agree here that b4 this she might have been thinking that Jalal wanted her for wat ever reasons but now its Hatred... but what i dun get it is her convo with moti bai saying she thought she sacrifice for Ameer but here its Jalal who planned to get her to make her life hell.. But no matter what, its still one of it because of ameer. If Ameer has not lost the war, Jalal would have no chance there in my view... They lost it, so he use it to his advantage. of course his personal interest is there 2. but now shes thinking that he trying to make her life HELL is making her worried n sad. i seriously dun get this part...Even for ameer or hatred, the fundamental point is still the same she wants to make her life hell. but like u said aunthy probable she thought he wanted her. Its diff to understand a girl, leave it......

Something that i like even though Jalal was drunk, he did hurt her but he did not take advantage of the situation. Had he wanted he would have got what he wants. But he tried making advances n got pissed off by the fact someone is rejecting him for the fist time. he gave her his piece of mind n left wer he suppose to be. Way to go Jalal. But one thing is clear to Jodha now, he hates her, so i think Jodha will make her move according to wat ever thrown to her in her own ways. Im sure he wont leave her alone n will be trying to outdo her, n now Jodha will give him reply in rajput style. Seems like chess competition is one of it...

Man Singh, how did he enter the harem just like that. More than Man singh i think Jalal needs to punish the security there , if Man Singh can enter, i wonder will it be Adham Khan in line next  ... A boy like him can enter just like that, i think Jalal should praise him n get the others punished.

A humble request from me to our dear Cvs, can we get Jodha out of the harem plz.. seems like shes breaking all the rules there. from bhajan to Man Singh......

her hand was wurt, towards the ending i could not spot the bandage that mobi bai put on jodha hands.. or rajput has some medical knowledge how to heal wounds overnight 

10q ... Wishing u a speed recovery aunthy, get well soon ... Ur just to special to be ILL...

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-08-13, 16:16

Hi Shyamala Aunty, thanks a bunch for sharing these posts ....u have no idea...they are such a good mood-uplifters.......

How r u now?? Hope the visit to the doc went on fine :) 

Coming to ur post: The points which u have highligted for jodha really gives an APT dimension. paridhi was superb yday both in the subtle facial nuances when ruks was gloating.....
and then with jalal....the on the face and behind the mask, then the breakdown was superb.

Main toh talli jalal ki deewani ho gayi hun, he was oh so WOW rite from ruk's room till the time wen he said the maids that he is going back to ruk's room.

Also, Jalal-MS interaction, Jodha ka toh pata nahin...but uska bhatija Jalal ko behadd pasand hai.

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-14, 10:48

I have no words for this post Shyamala ... you are too good

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-14, 14:30

Thank you so very much, Sumana. It was a very revealing episode in more ways than one, especially about Jodha, and I am glad you liked my take on it.Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:I have no words for this post Shyamala ... you are too good

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 08:28

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum