Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 42: The Emperor holds the aces

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-14, 02:24

Folks, if  all of you, and especially the  young ladies, have finished drooling over Jalal in the hamaam,  and have also had enough of dreaming of what they would do in Jodha's place, can you please lend me your eyes (with apologies to both Mark Antony and Shakespeare)? Okay, so  here we go.
Perhaps the most delightful episode so far, this one was also an analyst's dream; it had just 2 noteworthy scenes, but boy, were they superb! These two bookended the whole, and both were unquestionably a showcase for Jalal the Shahenshah,  wise and farsighted at one end, and wickedly flirtatious at the other.
In between,there was some fluff : a meaningless encounter between a demented looking Sharifuddin and a footloose Sujamal, and a reversion to her Mrs. Popeye avatar by  Jodha's mother.  The only relevant point to emerge from the former  was that Sharifuddin is still scared stiff of falling out of Jalal's good books, thus not up  to rebelling  against him, unlike the film avatar,  leaving such folly to the likes of Adham Khan.
The second was noteworthy for the resurrection of  the term jauhar,  which the CVs here seem to equate with suicide by burning oneself to death, whereas  it was a highly ritualistic  and very formal mass self-immolation by all the women in a Rajasthani fort when it was sure to fall into  the hands of the enemy.  It always  irritates me to see its significance distorted, and it is second only to Jalal ka sar in my list of pet peeves in Jodha Akbar.
Jalal & Mansingh: The soft thumping you might be hearing is the sound of me patting myself on the back, for having correctly predicted that Mansingh would get off scot  free once more. I can understand why many felt that he would be bunged into jail, and that Jodha  might seek his release after winning the chess match,  but it feels good to have second  guessed the CVs for once; it is rarely enough that I manage to do that!
The script has  done Jalal proud in this scene, but Rajat goes beyond  the script to achieve sone pe suhaga.  His clear-eyed wisdom would be the envy of any  ruler; he shows himself to be an excellent judge of human nature and of individuals, and he knows how to prize that all too rare virtue, loyalty. He sees  that loyalty  in the stubborn Mansingh, right now for Jodha, and in the future, he is sure, for himself. And so he binds the young man to himself with that strongest and most enduring of bonds, open-hearted and unquestioning acceptance and appreciation. As he places his hand on Mansingh's shoulder and looks into the boy's eyes, one can literally feel Mansingh, his own gaze clear, steady and untroubled by doubt,  transfer to his new mentor  his fealty  for a lifetime.
Jalal's withering put down of Adham Khan for his temerity in reminding him  about the harem kanoon  - Kanoon humse hai, hum kanoon se nahin! -  is both magisterial and masterly . The superb lines are spoken with the absolute authority of a true emperor. It is like a sledgehammer blow, and it knocks down not only its immediate target, Adham, but also, at one remove, the redoubtable Mahaam Anga as well.
She is panic-stricken,  and afraid for  the first time in the whole of  her Machiavellian life (apologies for the gross anachronism, but I could not think of an adjective derived from Chanakya!) . Afraid, she whispers with eyes wide open in apprehension, that Jalal will cross the very thin line separating hate from love in his dil (whose existence is by now taken for granted by everyone in Agra bar Ruqaiya, who prefers his dimaag).
The fearful prospect of his coming to love Jodha is beginning to haunt Mahaam, and she is undoubtedly planning prophylactic measures, like the generous sprinkling of chilli powder in the food Jodha has cooked for Jalal. But you have to hand it to Mahaam Anga, the old witch has ten times the brains of anyone else in Jalal's entourage, she can sense things about Jalal and Jodha  that the principals themselves are unaware of, aur woh bahut door ki sochti hai.
Jalal-Jodha, or the Hamaam Follies:  No two words for this; it is pure delight. Of course the opportunity falls into Jalal's (underwater)  lap unexpectedly, but he seizes it with both hands.  From the initial Takhliya to the  hamaam attendants, he is on the ball, mischievous eyes narrowed as he contemplates the possibilities that her sudden descent on  him might offer. And she walks right into the trap he sets for her.
He plays her like a Menuhin on a Stradivarius. He can sense the nervousness that makes her breathing fast and shallow; he knows most of what there is to know about women, even about one so juda, so alag as this one. So he refuses at first, taking the high moral ground of not being ready to lie for her, and listing all the successful demands she has made on him already, and her refusal to oblige him in anything he wanted her to do.
Then he waits. Waits as she hesitates, hoping against hope and unwilling to  accept defeat so easily. And just as she reluctantly turns to leave, he times his call to the second Rukhiye!
A sudden switch to sweet obligingness; jaate jaate kehke jaayiye ki hamein kya kehna hai. Jodha is overjoyed and promptly  produces a draft for him, which he accepts at once and undertakes to say it to her father.  That does it; though she does not thank him, her guard is by now completely down.
It is in this moment of joyful relief that he lowers the boom; he has a shart this time.She can hardly refuse, having posed so many of her own, and even though  she jibs at what he wants her to do, she now has no way out.
What follows in a symphony in languorous, wicked flirtation by a master of the game . The sidelong upward glance at her confusion, her discomfort at this first ever physical proximity to  her handsome husband, that too in a state of considerable exposure,  of the kind she has never before faced. The relaxed enjoyment as she pours the milk, very tentatively, over his shoulders. Taking the jug away and himself pouring  it all over his face as he leans back, his strong  features, clear thru the white stream, offered up to her gaze, which he knows will be focussed on him.  
Then, just as she reaches for the empty jug, dropping it deliberately into the water, so that she is now forced to use her hands instead. Which of course takes much, much longer, even when she gets the hang of it and, seated right next to him on the pool edge,  scoops up the water in both hands  and washes the milk off his neck.
She looks sulky, pouting as she goes about splashing him, but it does not seem as though she is really angry. Perhaps the sheer relief at having secured the peace of mind of her parents is so overwhelming that it drowns  her resentment at having been tricked into helping him  bathe. Or maybe it did not feel all that bad after all !
Whatever it was, Jalal had a ball, and the expression in his eyes in the closing shot said  it all.  He  achieved exactly what he wanted, to get his  rebellious Begum  up close and personal with him, and this without any chance of her refusing. Tactics and strategy were both impeccable, and  it was a treat for us as well!
The  precap was one of the routine pieces of malice that litter saas bahu serials. I bet Jalal, though he would be sure the abundance of chillies was Jodha getting her own back for the hamaam trick,  will eat the stuff with every indication of relish, to the utter astonishment and dismay of Mahaam Anga. She will then see doom approaching at a very brisk pace, while Jodha continues  in   a state of blissful ignorance. I wonder if she even finds out about it!
Well, folks, a good bit of fun lies ahead, with our Petruchio and Kate putting  up a convincing  show of  newly wedded bliss for the sake of her parents. As GenX says, ungrammatically but with infectious energy, Enjoy!!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 42: The Emperor holds the aces

Post by sarra0 on 2013-08-14, 04:18

Shyamala once again nice post, i liked both the scenes u described... jodha's mum breakdown was annoying once again to watch but i suppose it was to show that she ended up being strong for jodha but once jodha is not there she falls to pieces... but u would think she now has belief in shaguni's tellin of the future and would realise that things turn out well, jus writing that made me realise that it may turn out ok doesn't mean getting there is painless..hmm..

I didn't expect Jalal to punish maansingh and certainly not by jail if he decided something was required...Jalal has stepped out of the shadows of everyone and is using his experience and to make some wise decisions for now...

Jodha doesn't think he wouldn't want to hide the real reason from her parents and on the insistence of moti bhai goes to c him, jus like wen she fed him it was on her insistence...

The bath scene wat can be said it was a good scene, Jalal's timing, his smirks, his words nicely done. That scene from the time she walked in to the end entertained and amused.

Precap like u i am hoping he doesn't make a fuss and eats it, if he thinks she did it on purpose he wouldn't want to give her satisfaction of a reaction if he can help it, he may bring it up with jodha later...but Mahamanga realised that there was something different about jodha from the way Jalal was staring at her during the wedding track and nothing since has shown her any differently.. and she knows not to underestimate the enemy...lets c wat tomorrow brings I'm enjoying the ride...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-08-14, 08:15

Thank you, Sarra, but you see, the problem is that she dreams Jodha has committed jauhar! Plus I detest the constant misuse of that term.Shyamalasarra0 wrote:Shyamala once again nice post, i liked both the scenes u described... jodha's mum breakdown was annoying once again to watch but i suppose it was to show that she ended up being strong for jodha but once jodha is not there she falls to pieces... but u would think she now has belief in shaguni's tellin of the future and would realise that things turn out well, jus writing that made me realise that it may turn out ok doesn't mean getting there is painless..hmm..

I didn't expect Jalal to punish maansingh and certainly not by jail if he decided something was required...Jalal has stepped out of the shadows of everyone and is using his experience and to make some wise decisions for now...

Jodha doesn't think he wouldn't want to hide the real reason from her parents and on the insistence of moti bhai goes to c him, jus like wen she fed him it was on her insistence...

The bath scene wat can be said it was a good scene, Jalal's timing, his smirks, his words nicely done.  That scene from the time she walked in to the end entertained and amused.

Precap like u i am hoping he doesn't make a fuss and eats it, if he thinks she did it on purpose he wouldn't want to give her satisfaction of a reaction if he can help it, he may bring it up with jodha later...but Mahamanga realised that there was something different about jodha from the way Jalal was staring at her during the wedding track and nothing since has shown her any differently.. and she knows not to underestimate the enemy...lets c wat tomorrow brings I'm enjoying the ride...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-08-14, 10:50

Shyamala .. thank you for sharing your posts wth us here .. this is awesome ...

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 19:06

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum