Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 50: Pas de deux

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-09-02, 15:58

Folks,

I am sorry to be late with this, but I thought I had posted it here on Friday morning. Anyway, here it is, for those who would still be interested.This is about Thursday's night's Episode 53. I did nothing for Episode 54,for there was nothing in it to discuss, neither in the Mahaam-Adham parts nor in the jashn part.

The only 2 noteworthy things were the extra attention Jalal now gives to Jodha and the regard he displays towards her, which was expected after the poem  segment of Thursday, and the kesar doodh angle couple with the precap. There was nothing clear to go on there, and i saw no point in indulging in fruitless and very likely erroneous speculation about the latter point and its implications for Jodha and Jalal, I very rarely try to second guess the CVs, there is no shortage of people here doing just that, with multiple  threads on the same topic!

I am sure there will be something worth analysing come Monday. Let us hope that it is rational, and not silly and melodramatic. For example, how could Mahaam have added poison in the milk so cleverly adjusted as to kill the baby but not Ruqaiya?  And within that very  short time, with staff all around?

Warm regards.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Jodha Akbar 53: A new hope

Consistency, the wise say, is the virtue of fools. Not being a fool, I am, after watching yesternight's wonderful episode, prepared to take back my lament on Episode 52, that it would have been been better for the development of the Jalal-Jodha story if the naatak had gone ahead after all.

The New Hope of my title of today is of course that of the first Star Wars  film, but it also perfectly sums up what I felt at 8:30 pm last night. The beautiful, imaginative script, and the pitch perfect performances by the duo, have opened the door on a new vista. A vista of a new beginning, a beginning of a sincere, candid understanding of  each other.  An understanding based not on attraction on one side or the end of repulsion on the other,  but on mutual, warm appreciation of each other's qualities of head and heart.

Jodha:  Yesterday belonged to Jodha, and Paridhi sailed thru the whole effortlessly, projecting the simple, transparent, unclouded goodness of  Jodha's whole persona  with total conviction.
The unruffled dignity and nobility with which she answered Ruqaiya's wild accusations (which only revealed the depth of the latter's by now endemic insecurity vis a a vis this polar opposite of a woman, whom she cannot understand and thus hates). The warm gratitude with which she responds to the outpouring of love and admiration from her Ammijaan, touching her feet repeatedly in respect and affection. The genuine detachment and goodness of heart with which she silences the complaints of Motibai.  And finally, the eager warmth and sincerity in her eyes, and her whole face,   as she explains to the Shahenshah the import of her gift and her poem of welcome for the new arrival. Not one line, not one expression, however fleeting, was out of place, not one was either over the top in cloying mahaanta or found wanting in sincerity.

It was a visually and tonally perfect performance which gladdened by my heart, for though I am no sentimentalist, and have by now, with age and experience, become more of a cynic than anything else, genuine goodness always moves me.

But the most arresting bit in the whole was not in any of the above-mentioned scenes.  It  came when Jodha is leaving Hamida Banu's rooms, after the latter voices the hope that Jodha too would soon give her the same happiness that Ruqaiya was now about to do. Jodha's face becomes serious,  and she tries to smile, the right side of her mouth lifting in a forced  attempt at cheerfulness.

As she comes out of the room, the flames from a nearby mashaal shade her face, which appears and disappears as they waver in the breeze. Her eyes seem desolate, clouded with a sense of despair. What is it that she feels? She believes  what she says earlier to Ruqaiya, that a woman, no matter how highly placed, is truly fulfilled only in motherhood. Is the sudden sorrow reflected in her eyes because she sees this longed for motherhood, as she sees it, forever outside her grasp? I felt so.

Jalal: He too was a revelation last night. I have often written that what Jalal  feels for Jodha is neither a pedestrian attraction rooted in admiration of her beauty, nor physical desire, nor even the pull of the unusual in the first woman who, far from running after him like all the others,  does not even want him. It was always  something more, a desire of the heart that he could not understand when it dragged him on that dangerous adventure to Amer just to catch a glimpse of her. 

It was the same with Jodha. The face in the water that haunts her conscious and her subconscious, the face  she sees even with her eyes closed. Now that she knows whose face it was, she has buried it deep inside her, under layers of stubborn and irrational ghruna. A ghruna  that she repeats to herself every now and then as if she might otherwise forget it!  But it is there, nonetheless, and as she watches Jalal leave her rooms, it is reflected once more in the curiously gentle expression in her eyes. A look of tentative hope,  which  seeks more of it  knows not what.

The scene in Ruqaiya's rooms as Jalal opens Jodha's gift brings out with blinding clarity the basic difference between   the two of them.

Jalal instantly sums up what lies behind  Jodha's lovely  poem to the child he awaits: Lagta hai ki dil se likha hai. But it needs  a dil,  and a sensitive and perceptive  one, to recognize what another such dil feels.

Ruqaiya, on the other hand, is unseeing in her total self-centredness and  foolish vanity: her comments about Jodha's supposed chaaploosi,  and her apparently trying  to cultivate Ruqaiya's favour are incredible in their blind folly. I do not suppose that Jalal, still lost in the aural beauty of the poem, even hears what she says, which is probably just as well for her!

I am convinced that when the break comes between Ruqaiya and Jalal, after the loss of her child, it will not be because she was careless and this led to the (anticipated) miscarriage. Even if he is furious with her for that, he will never cut her off, for he will assume that her grief at the loss  would be even greater than his, being coloured by her sense of guilt.

But if and when he hears her, as is most likely, lamenting not the loss of the child, but of the power that a son of hers would have gained her, the scales  will fall from his eyes in one fell sweep. It  is the shock of this discovery that will make him cut her off for good. He can forgive his childhood friend anything, even her indifference to his suffering at the death of his Khan Baba. But not the lack of caring  for the child he wanted so desperately and loved so  much already. It is then, methinks, that the bell will toll finally for Begum Ruqaiya Sultan.

To revert, when the lines of the poem haunt Jalal's sleep and echo and re-echo in his zehen,  the underlying note, for all that he remembers her beauty seen up close, is one of  gratitude, of a sudden emotional connect. He understands instinctively that her joy at the prospect of the child is both deep and genuine, and it  is this generous and caring spirit that touches him as perhaps nothing else so far in his life.

(NB: It is this conviction of Jalal's that will negate any attempt that Mahaam Anga, with her talent for killing several birds with a single stone, might eventually make to blame Jodha for the loss of Ruqaiya's child).

It is this same gratitude that lights up his whole face when, after having listened, with  unwinking concentration, to Jodha's enthusiastic explanation of  the significance of the spoon and the meaning of her poem, he praises  her words for having embellished and enriched her gift.

For the first time, he smiles at her with  a warmth that is untinged with even a hint of the usual mockery or one-upmanship, or even his trademark mischievous flirtatiousness. It is a smile of empathy, of understanding, of  a liking that is direct, candid  and genuine.  Something that he has perhaps never before felt for a woman. The same empathy, of recognition of what he feels, and of a reluctant liking, are  reflected in Jodha's eyes as she watches him leave.

It is in this quantum shift on both sides that the new hope of my title is rooted. 

Titbits: The little exchange between Jalal and Jodha, about her oblique manner of getting him to leave, was delightful in itself, but even more so for the sense of camaraderie  in her retort and his comeback. At long last, they are on the way to becoming  friends, and there is no stronger foundation for eventual love than friendship.

Jalal's phenomenal memory for the spoken word.  He is able to recite the whole poem, most of the words in which he cannot understand, faultlessly  after just one hearing,  which shows how keen is  his  faculty for Shruti . No wonder Akbar always had  something significant read out to him daily  before he retired for the night. It must all have imprinted itself in his memory, word perfect and docketed away  for future reference.

The  sudden sense of deprivation on Jalal's face when Ruqaiya, with unthinking casualness, asks him  to read Jodha's poem. That he cannot read and write is a lifelong and bitter regret for Jalal; remember his rooh describing himself, even centuries later  while speaking to Jodha's rooh, as an anpadh jaahil? That Ruqaiya rubs this wound raw, and does not even realise it,  is typical of her.

Jalal's curious expression when Mahaam Anga asks him whether he agrees with his Ammijaan's paean to Jodha. It is not resentment or even mild jealousy, but rather a bemused, and amused, acceptance.

One feels for Mahaam Anga in the precap, yelling at an obviously sozzled Adham in furious frustration. If they had had hospitals for deliveries in those days,  she would surely have sued them for saddling her with a changeling!

Jodha watching Jalal dancing, with Rahim on his shoulder. We cannot see thru the veil, but I am sure she is a tad more reassured about  the capacity for affection in the erstwhile Jalal the Jallad,  the ogre whose image is fast fading in her mind.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 50: Pas de deux

Post by pollyanna on 2013-09-02, 16:24

Ahhh PRICELESS!!! Thumbsup 

this is like a drop of water in the arid desert (read--office) ...what a superb post Aunty, every word party4 

Lovely Episode and ur superlative posts: love this jugalbandi aur kya chahiye bounce 

The NB and tidbits are WOW!!!! cheers 

@Friday's episode and precap: Why do I feel that CVs are once again putting us in panic mode---and mebbe its just Ruk's nightmare of losing the baby.

MA could not have poisoned milk, kesar is already tested..the only thing which can be altered was zimzim water: that can be MA's doing.....

BUT will MC happen so soon?? I wonder....and even if it happens, guess Jo-Ja bond( trust) will become more stronger else the poem thing will go waste....

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-09-02, 16:44

Pallavi my dear,It is not good to spoil me, or indeed anyone else, with extravagant praise, but thank you very, very much all the same. I have, rather belatedly, put up my Episode 53: A new hope, with a bit about Episode 54 as well, though I did not do a separate post on that. Take a look at it; I think you will like it.Shyamala Auntypollyanna wrote:Ahhh PRICELESS!!! Thumbsup 

this is like a drop of water in the arid desert (read--office) ...what a superb post Aunty, every word party4 

Lovely Episode and ur superlative posts: love this jugalbandi aur kya chahiye bounce 

The NB and tidbits are WOW!!!! cheers 

@Friday's episode and precap: Why do I feel that CVs are once again putting us in panic mode---and mebbe its just Ruk's nightmare of losing the baby.

MA could not have poisoned milk, kesar is already tested..the only thing which can be altered was zimzim water: that can be MA's doing.....

BUT will MC happen so soon?? I wonder....and even if it happens, guess Jo-Ja bond( trust) will become more stronger else the poem thing will go waste....

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-09-02, 17:04

Yup Aunty, agree with u...lets see how it pans out....the MC if it happens and the aftermath on Jo-Ja especially......

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-09-02, 17:11

Wonderful post, Shyamala Ji
I am Appu
Lately started following the show...
Many of our thoughts do match
hoping to meet u often in the future here...

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-09-02, 17:22

Dear Appu,Thanks a lot and so do I hope we meet often in the futureShyamala B.Cowsiksonshine487 wrote:Wonderful post, Shyamala Ji
I am Appu
Lately started following the show...
Many of our thoughts do match
hoping to meet u often in the future here...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-09-02, 17:38

I read your post the day before and reading here once again ....
 this is an excellent piece of read my dear Shyamala .. 
I am lucky to have you .. such a wonderful writer ....here in Dhwani ...

Last edited by --sumana13-- on 2013-09-02, 17:45; edited 1 time in total

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-09-02, 17:39

Ekta show hai...
I feel, Jodha will be blamed for the miscarriage

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-09-02, 18:02

My dear Sumana,

I am at a loss as to how to respond to such praise except to say that I am touched and grateful.

Have you read my latest post on Episode 53, A new hope? See how you like it.

Shyamala

--sumana13--

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-09-02, 18:18

Beautiful post shyamala Ji..

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2013-09-02, 18:48

Loved the post Shyamala ji!

But why do you think Jalal would blame Ruqs for the MC? Its not her fault after all...

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-09-02, 18:57

Thank you so much, my dear.

About Jalal blaming Ruqaiya for the miscarriage, I wrote  that not in the present context,  but in case she had done something inadvisable, like over exerting herself.

Shyamala B.Cowsik
zuzana

But why do you think Jalal would blame Ruqs for the MC? Its not her fault after all...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2013-09-02, 19:16

sashashyam wrote:
Thank you so much, my dear.

About Jalal blaming Ruqaiya for the miscarriage, I wrote  that not in the present context,  but in case she had done something inadvisable, like over exerting herself.

Shyamala B.Cowsik
zuzana

I think Ekta will not leave without bringing her regular dose of dramatics in this issue.

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-09-03, 05:00

sashashyam wrote:
My dear Sumana,

I am at a loss as to how to respond to such praise except to say that I am touched and grateful.

Have you read my latest post on Episode 53, A new hope? See how you like it.

Shyamala

--sumana13--
Yes I did read that Shyamala ... Late at night .. When all was quiet in my ward .. Such beautiful proses require concentration you see !!....:heart: :heart:

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 23:46

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum