Latest topics

Somethings You must Know!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Somethings You must Know!

Post by perfumeheaven on 2013-09-15, 13:47

The Niqaab or Veil does not differentiate one Muslim woman from the next, the purpose is to preserve chastity and purity.It is not for disguising or hiding below the cloth to do secretive things as depicted in the show either by Zoya or Tanveer. I find it very offensive to give this impression.

The Dowry (Mahr) is given by the groom to the bride and it is an agreement between the both of them, ONLY. NO family member  has any right to demand anything. The act of expense in giving gifts to each other's family is nonsense. Most of the times The mother in law-to be gives her daughter in law-to be a gift,but again this is voluntary and not a necessary.

In Islam, the hugging between couples who are not married are not allowed, please do not get the impression that it is a norm among Muslims. Of course some people do it anyway, in every faith there are people who do otherwise.

In a Nikaah ceremony, when the question is asked about acceptance of marriage and the answer is met with silence, it is considered affirmative.

A man can marry a woman, he can have another wife but the other wife or wives cannot be  the sister of his first wife. Islam prohibits marriage of sisters to a man. However it is fine if he divorces a woman and marries her sister or vice versa for brothers.

A woman can ask for a divorce, if she is not pleased with her marriage she has a right to request one. Do not know where the impression comes from where only man has that right.

Please do not mistake culture with religion  the show has shown so many things that Islam does not promote.Any questions feel free to ask.

perfumeheaven

Back to top Go down

Re: Somethings You must Know!

Post by sarra0 on 2013-09-15, 14:16

hey zai, while the niqaab is something people wear for religious reasons there r also some that use it for other purposes, there r those who wear it and once out of the house do things which Islam does not allow... so while it is not about doing secretive people like with most things use it to suit there purpose and after all this is fiction and this isn't the only show that has used the niqaab to use it for a purpose different then wat it was intended for...

it's usually a women who has not been married before if she remains silent then her silence is taken as a acceptance, a man needs to say yes, but for a marriage to b valid the man has to ask the women and she should have said yes... also while there r different views with some school of thoughts a wali [guardian] is also required...

Yes a man can marry again but for certain reasons and there r also conditions laid down in regards to additional marriage.

wen I heard Gul and 4lions were doing a show where the family was a Muslim I thought interesting let's c how they do this with romance and with wat they show, whether Islam is just a word they use and ignore conveniently, and it is...this is fiction and Gul's shows don't for very long have logic or reality...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-09-15, 14:22

I AM GOING TO KEEP A CLOSE WATCH ON THIS THREAD ...
thanks Zainab .. there are so many things on my mind but will ask only if not already explained by you in this thread yaara ...
long hug long hug

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by perfumeheaven on 2013-09-15, 15:10

sarra0 wrote:hey zai, while the niqaab is something people wear for religious reasons there r also some that use it for other purposes, there r those who wear it and once out of the house do things which Islam does not allow... so while it is not about doing secretive people like with most things use it to suit there purpose and after all this is fiction and this isn't the only show that has used the niqaab to use it for a purpose different then wat it was intended for...

it's usually a women who has not been married before if she remains silent then her silence is taken as a acceptance, a man needs to say yes, but for a marriage to b valid the man has to ask the women and she should have said yes... also while there r different views with some school of thoughts a wali [guardian] is also required...

Yes a man can marry again but for certain reasons and there r also conditions laid down in regards to additional marriage.

wen I heard Gul and 4lions were doing a show where the family was a Muslim I thought interesting let's c how they do this with romance and with wat they show, whether Islam is just a word they use and ignore conveniently, and it is...this is fiction and Gul's shows don't for very long have logic or reality...
Sarra, I simply wanted to clear some misconceptions the show has displayed. We both know what other misconceptions exist in both Western and Eastern parts of the world,so I took the initiative to explain somethings people may not know about. Many people wear the veil for whatever reasons but the explanation I gave is the true purpose.Yes I agree with you deary,where the woman remain silent indicating approval for marriage.In some cases, silence is considered yes in other aspects too. As for conditions for having another wife, there are four,but I wanted to relate it to the show and ensure people knew that a man cannot marry sisters.

As for Gul,She calls herself a Muslim, I am not judging her ,but the serial simply reflects how much knowledge she has. 

perfumeheaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Shesherkobita on 2013-09-15, 18:46

Interesting post Zai... I think Gul wanted to portray a regular family who happens to be Muslim. She is not trying to portray an Ideal Muslim family. All the characters in the show are flawed which is how the real world is. 
But at the same time she is harping on archaic laws  that do not exist anymore. I haven't met a single Muslim family with 2 wives ( Dilshad isnt divorced from Rashed). And if they go the Hilla marriage way, that would be ridiculous too... Cause it was outlawed in 1962. One has to go to court to divorce his or her spouse.. Simple and universal. 

One thing I have learnt from living in different countries is that any religion is heavily influenced by culture. Islam is not any different. Islam practiced in Southeast Asia is different from Middel East. The 5 core principals are the same and everything else changes according to culture of the land. Muslims from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives are very similar. .. Couples hugging is not uncommon in Asia. But you will see Gul refrained from showing them kissing ( unlike Arnav Khushi who definitely would've kissed and more if that Dam*ned Amaan didnt call). :P 

It also depends on upbringing... Some families are more conservative ( like my husband's) and some are not ... My husband is extremely uncomfortable with hugging and pecks on cheeks. I have asked my friends here to kiss him on the cheek when they see him  Embarassed and the sight of him turning red is worth paying for ! 

Still traveling... Will be back tomorrow. Thanks

Shesherkobita
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanthya on 2013-09-15, 20:03

As Sabi  so rightly pointed out, Religion is influenced by the culture of that region..

In Our country neither is the veil or burqa compulsory and many a women do not wear it .. Same thing regards  Dowry , Here Dowry is asked *most often* and is  acceded to by the Bride's family ..

It is not as if PMS is absent is Muslim families  here, It is present ..There are some muslim families wherein the girls put the bindi cuz they like it ( quite rare)  ..

I am told that as a muslim, one must not offer prayers in Dargah but here in India , you will find the Muslims offering prayers reverentially to the buried body of a revered  saint ..

I guess Religion is subject to cultural influence..

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by perfumeheaven on 2013-09-15, 20:28

Point noted ladies. Here in Trinidad, culture and Islam are clearly differentiated.We are not governed by any Islamic law, but the Muslims here wear their hijaabs and the Niqaabs. Yes there are a few who chose not too wear them. The Religions are clearly differentiated. Muslims do live in harmony and are tolerant to other faiths. Here a man having 2 or more wives exist.

However, back to the show,Gul is messing up some laws that define Muslims. According to the show Rashid has two wives, but that is not so, when a man leaves his wife and the separation is for a very long period,they are automatically divorced.

I do hope she does thread carefully,along that triangle between brothers and zoya. I am concerned since there are are so many people with wrong impressions about us.

perfumeheaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Shesherkobita on 2013-09-15, 20:40

Tanthya wrote:As Sabi  so rightly pointed out, Religion is influenced by the culture of that region..

In Our country neither is the veil or burqa compulsory and many a women do not wear it .. Same thing regards  Dowry , Here Dowry is asked *most often* and is  acceded to by the Bride's family ..

It is not as if PMS is absent is Muslim families  here, It is present ..There are some muslim families wherein the girls put the bindi cuz they like it ( quite rare)  ..

I am told that as a muslim, one must not offer prayers in Dargah but here in India , you will find the Muslims offering prayers reverentially to the buried body of a revered  saint ..

I guess Religion is subject to cultural influence..
Tants ...hug1 

I wanted to make a post on JA forum but will just quickly touch base here... The Muslims in Asia are heavily influenced my Mughals ( so by Sufis of Turkish origin and mongols from Central Asia) ... Sufis teach a spiritual and philosophical side of religion that fit perfectly in a a land that was inhabited mostly by Hindus and Buddhist ( as both Hindu and Buddhist religion are heavily inclined on spirituality ) ... Mughals became Muslims only 3 or 4 generations before Babar. The dargah culture came from the Sufis. 

The other Muslim group ... from khilafats and Ottoman Empire were different... Women had very little role in power. Whereas Mughals gave women tremendous power ( rightfully so as Jahangir was inebriated most of the time and his wife practically ruled the empire... You know more abt these than me) ... The ottomans and Mughals didnt see eye to eye. They fought constantly.  

Gotta run... Life calling... I mean daughter tantruming...wave

Shesherkobita
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:15

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum