Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 74: Jodha Begum ko bhay kyon lagta hai?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 74: Jodha Begum ko bhay kyon lagta hai?

Post by sashashyam on 2013-09-29, 16:58

Folks,
Before getting  down to the business at hand, with apologies for  impinging on your Sunday afternoon siesta, I want to put out something pressing and important. Please see the notice below, to which I  hope that you will  respond positively and in large numbers.
 ESTABLISHMENT OF A PROTECT JODHA  GROUP IN THE  DHWANI JODHA AKBAR FORUM
It having been decided, in view of the havoc that the CVs have of late been playing with the  character of our much loved Amer ki Mirchi, who is fast beginning to resemble nothing so much as a(n anachronistic) yo yo, to set up a Protect Jodha Group within this forum, with the stated objectives of
1) Preventing any further erosion of her originally  fiery, intelligent, independent , occasionally OTT but withal era-appropriate persona.
2) Reversing the damage done already,  so that she no longer comes across as randomly and irrationally stubborn and  weepy by turns
Members of this forum will be called upon to lobby for the above-stated objectives, as and when required,  with the CVs, using every means of communication available to us,such as  special threads here, and for those well versed in the usage of the social media, on Facebook and Twitter as well.
Please indicate your willingness to  join whole-heartedly in this initiative by saying so on this thread.
Shyamala B.Cowsik                                                                                                                                                         (Convener of the  Protect Jodha Group in the Dhwan Jodha Akbar Forum)
Ok, that is done!
Now, let me begin by  apologizing to  the talented director Saeed Mirza for my riff on his cult film Albert Pinto ko gussa kyon aata hai? But believe me, I have been asking myself this question about Jodha since Friday night, and am  still at a loss for a credible answer.
The Holi fiasco: Here is our Jodha Begum, who has been given specific  permission, by the Shahenshah,  to celebrate Holi. It is  another matter, as I had noted earlier, that when he gives her this permission,  as a parting gift, he  adds that it should not inconvenience anyone else, sounding exactly like a hostel warden giving permission for a late night to a disobedient and unreliable student, whom he fully  expects to violate the  curfew deadline!
To the objection that she  needs no permission  at all,  as Jalal had given her the freedom to practice her religion, it needs to be noted that this  did  not mean automatic permission to celebrate all  her  festivals in public in the Agra palace.  It meant doing puja in the privacy of her rooms. We have to remember that this was a major concession by the emperor, and the mullahs must have criticised it vocally.So yes, she  needed his permission  for that, and Hamida Banu too does not say,  contrary to what she said about Jodha's temple visits, that his permission is not required.

Once  Jodha, in a fit of understandable joie de vivre  after the emotional storms she had been subjected to in recent weeks,  brought her Holi  celebrations out into the palace gardens, clashes and complaints were bound  to surface, and of course it all blew up with her colliding, inadvertently, with Mahaam Anga.  Given Mahaam's vinctiveness, the fat was well and truly in the fire.

Despite all this, I was surprised to see Jodha immediately  fold up  like a pack of cards. I would  have expected , and wanted her, our dauntless Amer ki Mirchi, who, moreover, had no further stake in the Mughal system as she was sure she was returning to Amer for good,  to stand up for herself somewhat more.
I did not at all like the way Jodha behaved at the Meena bazaar, trying to  talk down to the Shahenshah as if he was a stupid village yokel   and humiliate him,  and I did not at all like the  way she behaved  the next day , like  a bheegi billi, apologising to all and sundry and scared stiff. I expected her to be calm and collected, and to state her position that she was very, very sorry, but it was not intentional on her part, it was just an unforeseen and unfortunate accident. But even before anyone said  anything  to her, she looked terrified, in the garden  when she was speaking to her daasis after Mahaam Anga swept off, her face literally red.
It is not what one expects from our Rajputani sherni, who had unflinchingly faced the announcement of  a death sentence by being burnt alive. And it was not as though her sole weak point, her parivaar, was involved in any way - none of them was even in Agra . So now was the time for her to show her mettle. What is the worst that could have happened to her? Being sent back home pronto. But that was on the cards already.  Anyone can strut about when times are easy, but it is the brave who  stand up  to tough circumstances.

When Mahaam came to her to twist the knife in a bit more,  I saw no reason for all these abject apologies from Jodha, the folding of hands and begging pardon from "Mahaam Angaji" , that old witch, who she knows hates her, and whom she dislikes acutely . What does she imagine, that Mahaam would be amenable to reason?  If so, and this after so much of hands on experience of the Wazir-e-Aaliya, Jodha needs  to have her head examined. She had done nothing intentionally, and she should have said so, calmy but firmly, and left it at that.

What paap?:
What is more, I did not at all understand her statement, again to Mahaam,  that her parents would not have forgiven her and that she had committed a  big paap.

She was saying the same  to her daasis, and looking  very scared,  long before Jalal turns up to go thru his Pamplona bull  routine, and I could not comprehend that either.What paap?  It was only an unfortunate accident. How does that become a gunaah, not to speak of a gunaah-e-azeem, and why  should she be dissolving into a puddle  of regret for it? 
There is, so far as I am aware, no custom among Muslims of widows wearing only white, which was the prescribed colour for Hindu widows.  Hamida Banu does not wear white  at all, nor even pale colours, nor does Bakshi Banu before she remarries. So the accusation of a widow's weeds being soiled by Jodha, and this being  a gunaah-e-azeem, as that chamcha of a mullah helpfully proclaims, is hardly applicable here.
I was  listening to Mahaam shedding crocodile tears to her Energiser Bunny of a foster  son,  and asserting that Jodha Begum had, deliberately or  otherwise,  ruined her paakeeziyat. Why, by rights, the black inside Mahaam's soul should have long since seeped into her outfits and coloured them to  a shade fit for a burqa!

As for the explanation  that Jodha was so upset because it concerned her husband's Badiammi, that is hardly credible, as Jodha has never bothered  about her husband's  feelings. If she had,  she would not have failed to greet him with a pranam at the Meena Bazaar, at the very least, nor would she have been so ostentatiously off putting to him in public.

In short, I cannot think of an reasonable explanation at all for the Jodha we saw on Friday. When, Jalal, wound up by his Badiammi, and reverting to his Energiser Bunny-cum-Pamplona bull routine,  charged into Jodha's rooms and began all that tod phod, I knew , having seen her in the garden immediately after the fiasco, that she would not be putting out her favourite line whenever  he is yelling at her:  Hamein aapse koyi bhay nahin hai.  
But I did expect her to be not only appropriately  regretful, but also to state, calmly and very politely but clearly, that she had not done anything intentionally. Instead, she  seems to be bent on self-flagellation, and on proving the prosecution's case for them.
I felt like shaking her, but this time for a very different reason.  And I felt like kicking Jalal with a stout pair of hobnailed  boots all the way from Agra to Amer.
For  all that Jodha  gets on my nerves all too often,  I felt desperately sorry for the poor, unhappy child,  especially when she was sitting all by herself before Mahaam arrives. It is the concern one feels for the underdog. And when she lifted scared eyes to Jalal's and quavered that she had not meant to do it and it was just an accident, she looked so woebegone that my heart went out to her. Paridhi did wonderfully well in that scene.

Jodha plays her cards all wrong. The only person who counts in Agra is Jalal, but  even after he has become more civilised with her, and even apologetic, she does not take advantage of it by behaving at least politely with him, if not cordially, and building some sort of tentative bridge to him.

Take what he says at the height to his rage on Friday, something he has said  before to Jodha.   Aapne hamesha hamein apne hi nazaroon mein girane ki koshish ki hai. That belief, beginning from the day when he heard her demand his head from Suryabhan, and abuse him in the worst possible terms,at a time when he had not done anything against Amer,  also lingers in his zehen,  and colours all his reactions towards things she is accused of doing.

He is  convinced that she hates him and will miss no  opportunity  to hit at him and humiliate him. That too humiliate him in front of his own people, by apparently demonstrating, time and again, that the concessions he made to her were  misplaced and he had been unduly weak with her.

That was another reason why her misbehaviour with him at the Meena Bazaar was a mistake. For  all that he  displayed unwavering patience and unshakeable  calm  there in the face of her unrelenting rudeness, her attitude then would have definitely coloured his attitude towards her  during the Holi fiasco. As Napoleon said of a mistake made by one of his generals: It was worse than a crime, it was a blunder.

Lastly, in all this, why is Jodha behaving, even before this latest crisis, as though Jalal  is shunting her back to Amer against her will? He gave her a choice, and after seeing the way she behaved when he came to her with the khushkhabari, he assumes that she has decided to leave. If she does not want to go, all  she has to do is to wear that rich green joda in which she sang that ode to Rajput valour!!

And if she does, why,  he  has gone out of  his  way to make sure, as he tells Ruqaiya with more than a tinge of sadness in his  face and eyes, that Jodha's  last few days in Agra  are happy: Hum chahte hain ki wo khush ho kar jaaye.As Alakh has noted perceptively,it has always bothered Jalal that  Jodha doesn't want him.. But now it bothers him even more that he cannot make her happy.So he was trying  his best.
Of course until the latest storm burst over his head, and  he reverted, as  discussed above,  to his old template.
The Protect Jodha Group idea: To come back to my starting point in this post. Jodha is being shown to be like a yoyo, unnecessarily hoity toity one moment, and unnecessarily humble the other. Whence the need  for a Protect Jodha  Group  of like-minded members who feel, as  I do, that her character's potential is being ruined and reduced to the standard soap female lead, and this needs to be set right on priority basis by lobbying the CVs about it.
Tiger, tiger, burning bright: As we wait breathlessly for the dunk in a forest pool, thus  putting additional strain on the JA wardrobe department,  and then the belated arrival of Mohan the Magnificent,  we were treated to the tiger promo. It was so unintentionally funny that I  could barely see the laptop monitor for tears!
There is apni Jodha,  who goes for shikar in that yellow  joda with all her jewellery, Next,  being an accredited  member of the 16th century Save the Tiger Project, she  informs  her patidev, till then strutting about brandishing his trusty matchlock confidently, about her karnama with the  barood , and this when the tiger is barely 10 yards away. Finally, she is wringing her hands and hovering over Jalal and the tiger exactly like  a 1960s vintage heroine!  
I simply could not stop laughing.  Is paagal ladki ko apne sar laadne ke liye Jalal ka yeh to hona hi tha! The look on his face when she kindly informs him about the barood was to die for.  
But Mohan looks magnificent. I am sure he is real, not CGI.
Finally, as for Mansi's thoughtful suggestion to Mohan that he snack on Mahaam, the mullah of gunah-e-azeem infamy, or Adham Khan on the way to his tryst with our Odd Couple, there are several problems with this otherwise clever idea.
Mahaam and the mullah would be as tough as old shoe leather,  and  Mohan would have his work cut out to chew them to anything approaching  a digestible pap . Adham Khan would be softer, juicier and more filling as there would be far more of him, but he would be absolutely  pickled in alcohol, and Mohan, assuredly a teetotaller, would get tipsy and pass out after the first bite .

So Mohan will have to fall back on our Odd Couple, and if he has the misfortune to try and eat Jodha, he would expire on the spot from metal poisoning, given that she is, even on shikar, doing her best to look like  a Christmas tree on December 25.

That leaves only Jalal, who had thus better rehearse the excellent lines I had suggested for him weeks ago.
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 74: Jodha Begum ko bhay kyon lagta hai?

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-09-29, 20:10

Ah this is going to be a lovely Sunday read .. Will edit this after reading the post ... Running to the top to read ....run run

Finally completed reading and rereading your awesome post Shyamala .....

I am truly a Jodha fan and will definitely join you in supporting her ......

That tiger is for real in all the images it is along in the scene .... In all the scenes he shares the screen space with Jo - Jalal it is. Dummy toy ... And that blood is tomato sauce .... But loved that combat ... Very exciting ....

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-09-30, 12:38

Am so elated to read this post Aunty bounce ......U have nailed it RIGHT cheers ..... For me, its always or most of the times....Jodha's ACTIONS which drives Jalal to give REACTIONS......rite from the Jalal ka sar to Ghrina to the so called paap.....

Never did I find Jalal's actions not befitting a ruthless, heartless king who has been fed on hatred,loveless bonds since childhood and he is carrying the same with Jodha too. 

But about Jodha's actions, she has failed as a princess of Amer and queen of Agra till now(as far as Jalal is concerned) because her brains are getting clouded by irrational offensive words, she is losing her identity of Amer's Rajputani and behaving more like Rukkaya's clone.

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-09-30, 13:57

The tiger part was absolutely hilarious... Nice read Shyamala ji...

Jodha's reactions for the past few days- like being rude mostly with Jalal, but withdrawing to behave meekly when she realizes that she has mistaken can be accepted to an extent when we look at it in the angle that she didnt try to defend herself for she believed that she was wrong even though it was a mistake.

She respects the other religions as much as Hameeda or Jalal does, and her meekiness was a result of the guilt that she developed for thinking that she would have hurt the sentiments of a follower of another religion. Thats why she also apologised to MA even though she knew that the lady hated the very existance of her.

She didnt try to defend herself, or did she expect him to understand that she wouldnt have done it purposefully? That look of dissappointment on her face told something, like she wasnt happy with the departing words of Ja or was she disappointed that he didnt think for a bit about her intentions or the lack of it when the holi colored MA?

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-09-30, 16:09

Abavi wrote:Dear Abavi,

Jalal, I think, knows perfectly well that it was an accident, whether he says that or not. He is infuriated at the way in which she constantly creates problems for him vis a vis the  Mughal side, which makes him look weak. Her obnoxious behaviour to him in and out of season makes things much worse. As I had written in this post:

That was another reason why her misbehaviour with him at the Meena Bazaar was a mistake. For  all that he  displayed unwavering patience and unshakeable  calm  there in the face of her unrelenting rudeness, her attitude then would have definitely coloured his attitude towards her  during the Holi fiasco. As Napoleon said of a mistake made by one of his generals: It was worse than a crime, it was a blunder.

Given how she has been treating him even after that unprecedented public apology to  her and hers by the Shahenshah, how does she now expect him to cut her any slack?

She is a stupid and bull-headed girl, who does not know how lucky she is that Jalal  is not a wife beater. If she had said  even a fraction of the nasty things she has said to Jalal to a Rajput Maharana, like Udai Singh of Mewar, she would have been  jailed at once. I do not know if you watch Maharana Pratap, but that is far more era-appropiate and realistic than Jodha Akbar

Shyamala B.CowsikThe tiger part was absolutely hilarious... Nice read Shyamala ji...

Jodha's reactions for the past few days- like being rude mostly with Jalal, but withdrawing to behave meekly when she realizes that she has mistaken can be accepted to an extent when we look at it in the angle that she didnt try to defend herself for she believed that she was wrong even though it was a mistake.

She respects the other religions as much as Hameeda or Jalal does, and her meekiness was a result of the guilt that she developed for thinking that she would have hurt the sentiments of a follower of another religion. Thats why she also apologised to MA even though she knew that the lady hated the very existance of her.

She didnt try to defend herself, or did she expect him to understand that she wouldnt have done it purposefully? That look of dissappointment on her face told something, like she wasnt happy with the departing words of Ja or was she disappointed that he didnt think for a bit about her intentions or the lack of it when the holi colored MA?

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by clarissasham on 2013-09-30, 16:21

Mahaam and the mullah would be as tough as old shoe leather,  and  Mohan would have his work cut out to chew them to anything approaching  a digestible pap . Adham Khan would be softer, juicier and more filling as there would be far more of him, but he would be absolutely  pickled in alcohol, and Mohan, assuredly a teetotaller, would get tipsy and pass out after the first bite . 

So Mohan will have to fall back on our Odd Couple, and if he has the misfortune to try and eat Jodha, he would expire on the spot from metal poisoning, given that she is, even on shikar, doing her best to look like  a Christmas tree on December 25. 

That leaves only Jalal, who had thus better rehearse the excellent lines I had suggested for him weeks ago.

ROFL :*lol*: what a post aunty take bow

I agree with what all u said

clarissasham
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-09-30, 16:52

sashashyam wrote:
Abavi wrote:The tiger part was absolutely hilarious... Nice read Shyamala ji...

Dear Abavi,

Jalal, I think, knows perfectly well that it was an accident, whether he says that or not. He is infuriated at the way in which she constantly creates problems for him vis a vis the  Mughal side, which makes him look weak. Her obnoxious behaviour to him in and out of season makes things much worse. As I had written in this post:

That was another reason why her misbehaviour with him at the Meena Bazaar was a mistake. For  all that he  displayed unwavering patience and unshakeable  calm  there in the face of her unrelenting rudeness, her attitude then would have definitely coloured his attitude towards her  during the Holi fiasco. As Napoleon said of a mistake made by one of his generals: It was worse than a crime, it was a blunder.

Given how she has been treating him even after that unprecedented public apology to  her and hers by the Shahenshah, how does she now expect him to cut her any slack?

She is a stupid and bull-headed girl, who does not know how lucky she is that Jalal  is not a wife beater. If she had said  even a fraction of the nasty things she has said to Jalal to a Rajput Maharana, like Udai Singh of Mewar, she would have been  jailed at once. I do not know if you watch Maharana Pratap, but that is far more era-appropiate and realistic than Jodha Akbar

Shyamala B.Cowsik
I get your point Shyamala Ji,

I beg to differ, The slack that the emperor Ja cuts for Jo, his begum is something that he himself has been doing, without understanding why he does that.. If at all some other begum does this, what would happen? would he try and treat them the same way? or would he act differently?

He did act in haste during the MC fiasco, and the slack that he cut for Jodha (the public apology) and all that was on his own accord. The man is changing, he is not anymore the barbaric king of the past, it might do with the fact that his Khan Baba is not around to tell him how nasty the punishment needs to be, or it is probably, that he is being influenced by this reluctant begum of his.

In one way or the other, the emperor learns to be more patient with others too after his ways with Jo. Remember when Salima was also suspected during MC fiasco, he didnt want to commit the same mistake that he commited to Jo and her family. People didnt make a big issue out of that.. Did he act that way to Salima because she influences him? No. It was merely an act of a man who is reformed... I wouldnt say out of Love - not love as yet, Not with Jodha, Not with Salima- he is becoming more matured/reformed and his change may or may not be connected with Jodha's ways with him.

Her ways of bringing the point home is crude and unconventional, but it does have an effect on him.

My point is, she does not force him to act weak, he hasnt acted this patient with anyone in the past, but now he has started to act that way, people are surprised and they obviosly connect this to her presence in his life, Some instigate him. But He isnt in love with her to cut her a slake for her behavior... it is his reformation, why should he blame her?

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 06:18

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum