Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 92: It was a mirage, after all

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 92: It was a mirage, after all

Post by sashashyam on 2013-10-24, 02:27

Folks,

Well, after sticking my neck out about what the previous episode's precap might lead to, I have landed on my backside  with a loud thud, which  must have been heard all the way from Agra to Amer.  Everything for which I had hoped, even against hope,  has proved to be a mirage, and worse.  The only consolation is that my title for this post was at least halfway correct.

I do not remember when I last felt so dispirited about Jodha Akbar. It is a major letdown, that scene between Jalal and Jodha, and then from there, we are suddenly pitchforked into a mehndi ki rasam, and Jalal secretly watching Jodha's nritya, which consists of her shaking her none too slender midriff and her fairly substantial derriere.

It was trivialising things with a vengeance. I am sure Vicki will still be able to gild even the scene  with  her flowing prose, and successfully  gloss over Jodha's blank face as Jalal thanks her for not having negated his conviction that she is one of those enemies of his who hate him upfront, but I cannot find it in me to say  anything about it.

I presume that  Mansi, for her part, will parse each frame into its component parts to pan for  gold among all this dross, and she will get there as well, for there is nothing that determined optimism cannot achieve, and she is very,  very good at  elaborate constructs. But for me, it  will be  fool's gold.

Both of them will of course be perfectly right from their respective points of view.  It is just that I hear a different drummer.
In this, what dismays me the most is not a Jodha who does not seem to have a thought to spare for the dangers threatening the man she has married, except to categorise him as an untouchable she wants to shoo away, since his very  presence would endanger the welfare and the good name of her beloved parivaar and her even more beloved Amer.

After having seen him close to death just a little earlier, she  has no qualms about saying  her only worry is that nothing should happen to him in Amer,so that her loved ones do not suffer any after effects from his being   assassinated there.

The only possible inference to be drawn from this is that it is perfectly all right for her  if he is murdered  away  from Amer .The sheer callousness, and the crass self-centredness with which she said all that to him did not surprise me. In fact, like Jalal, I  was glad and relieved to have my assessment of her confirmed. I need expect nothing from her any more.

There will be those who take the line that she needs  more time to disengage herself from her ghrina  for him. That her pride will not let her climb down so soon. They will of course have to avoid the sticky question of why it was necessary for her to be so brutal when she says, in  effect,  It does not matter to me what happens to you, so long as it does not happen in Amer.
I was proud of Jalal in that scene, for he took all of her heedless, cruel selfishness and  her  total absence of any concern for him - I  do not even think of caring - on the chin and did not flinch.

I was glad to hear his voice cut like a whiplash when he told this ignorant, self-obsessed  princess,  from a petty,  tinpot little principality that exists only on his sufferance, that he would not tolerate her trying to pity him. That his having to walk alone in life,  and to be able to trust no one, was linked to his imperial destiny, and that destiny had been chosen for him by fate. He does not expect such a frog in the well to understand imperial concerns.

Rajat was superb in his controlled bitterness.
But what dismayed me a little later was the Jalal who is suddenly, without warning, reduced to a peeping Tom,  secretly watching  a woman who dancing joyously, after telling him openly that if she is concerned about anything happening  to him, it is only because it would derail Sukanya's wedding.   I do not know precisely what this says about him, but whatever it is , I do not like it.

I am sure there will be any  number here who would be able to romanticize over  an emasculated  Jalal trying to win over this  woman despite everything, but I will not be one of them.  I would hate this kind of Jalal far more than this kind of Jodha.

If this is to go on, I might as well pack up and leave, for I came on board for an emperor, and for Jalal to be one,  it  is not enough for him to repeat that he is one thrice or more  in an episode. He has to act like one, to be imperious and dominating and proud, not a man so pitifully weakened by an obsession that he runs helplessly after  a woman who talks  to him as Jodha did today, like a poodle or a lap dog.
I am sure that after another 200 episodes, the Jalal-Jodha amar prem kahani will materialise, when it simply cannot be avoided any longer.  But I cannot, as of now, see how it can, after such batterings,  even  approximate to what I  had hoped for and had described  in my last post. That is not to say it will not delight very many, and that, after all, is what TRPs are all about.
I know that I sound harsh, perhaps excessively so, but I am afraid that is how I feel right now.
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 92: It was a mirage, after all

Post by sonia1 on 2013-10-24, 02:45

long hug 

The entire episode came down to that explosive moment between them.

sonia1
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-10-24, 07:25

Frog in the well !! Liked that for Jodha ...
I wish she could understand his point of view better ... She over looks all his positive points completely .. Why is she like this ...

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Manasvi on 2013-10-24, 07:52

I think the CV's need to keep in mind that this happened in th 16th century and people were a lot more respectful of each other then than they are today. Also, they should not taint the real Jodha's character.. They did the same to Jalal in the inital episodes with his big eyes and demeanour though they have shown his phenomenal personal growth in a way that is much appreciated amongst Rajat's fans.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-10-24, 12:17

loved it Aunty....and hope u come back all rejuvenated from the break :)

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by clarissasham on 2013-10-24, 12:36

But what dismayed me a little later was the Jalal who is suddenly, without warning, reduced to a peeping Tom,  secretly watching  a woman who dancing joyously, after telling him openly that if she is concerned about anything happening  to him, it is only because it would derail Sukanya's wedding.   I do not know precisely what this says about him, but whatever it is , I do not like it.  cheers 

well said aunty i hate jodha when she said so like she doesnt care.. she is outright selfish i would say and jalal andlove him when he gave her mooh thod jawab ..but ALAS

what followed next was simply not digestabel for me...  jalal like love sick puppy secretly watching dance and ready to face another grihna kahani and punishment from jodha...... grrrrrrr i loved the promo prior to that yesterday epi and now i hate that promo

jalal cant do this...... love dur writing aunty

clarissasham
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 09:56

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum