Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 94: 'I' stands for Integrity

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 94: 'I' stands for Integrity

Post by sashashyam on 2013-10-28, 23:39

Folks

I had not done any posts after Wednesday last, either for 93 or 94, the latter mainly because the only aspect about which I have a different take from the  roseate romanticism flooding the forum over the weekend,  did not seem to justify a full post.

In any case, once one decides that all of Jodha's acts of commission and omission are governed solely her hidden pyaar for the Shahehshah, which she is held to be  deliberately masking, when with him, with her arrogance and her obtuseness,  there is nothing that one cannot explain or explain away.  For the others, there is not arguing with this approach, for it is a self-fulfilling one.

Unless of course Jodha  does an about turn again tonight or the day after, when Jalal, as is very likely, refuses to believer her 'evidence' against Sharifuddin and Adhan (Badiammi is sacrosanct for Jalal, and Jodha, if she has any commonsense, would do well to leave her out of her prosecutor's brief).

To revert,  I was not in for most of the weekend, and then again, it seemed to be too late today to comment on Episode 94 alone . But I could not let all those kind and detailed  comments on my Wednesday thread go unanswered, so I did an omnibus response, bringing things up to  the Friday Episode 94. 

Having done that, I decided that I might just as well share it with all of you, especially as the key element here - the integrity argument - is not limited to Friday's episode, but might be relevant for a while to come.

So here goes, and those short of time, or patience, or both, can move down to the part marked Episode 94!

Post Episode 92: My state of mind on Thursday morning was perhaps best summed up in what I wrote on another thread: I think one can twist oneself into knots trying to explain the Jalal and the Jodha one saw last night, and still get nowhere.She was appalling, and he was inexplicable in his sudden swing from controlled bitterness to what has been aptly described elsewhere as chichorapan.
Episode 93 (Thursday): 'I' stands for Inconsistency:

What followed on Thursday was  partly dismaying, partly reassuring. To my mind, what the Jodha-Jalal scene is Episode 93 showed is the yoyo tendency among the script writers, leading to a total inconsistency of characterisation for both Jalal and, even more so, for Jodha.

The scene the day before was very unpleasant, but it was in a way mature in its very off putting harshness, like something out of Who is afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Thursday  had the two of them doing a Govinda-Karishma Kapoor impersonation.

I was more startled than anything else to see Rajat do a Govinda without any warning, and I, frankly, as an old fuddy duddy of GenPrevious, who feels awkward with double entendres and  the like,
did not like it. It could easily have been scripted sensually instead of like a version of sarkaiyo khatiya jaada lage!

I never watched IPKKND but the odd episode, but I can visualise how Arnav Singh Raizada would have wooed a reluctant bride. Not like this, I am sure.  It was not really vulgar, and it was quite funny, but I would definitely have preferred more intelligent if even more aggressive sensuality. And of course Rajat was marvellous, but what is new there? The boy is a perennial source of wonderment to me.

Partly reassuring because, and this  came to me as  a profound relief, Jalal  did not turn into a lovesick poodle, as I had feared, nor did they make him do a Salman Khan in HAHK , with a dupatta over his shahi pagdi! Yes, yes, I know that would never have been an option, but given the shock that Jodha gave me the day before,  I  have become profoundly distrustful of even these CVs, generally far  superior to the run of the mill lot at  Balaji.

I was very happy that Jalal was dominating, unsettling, and even,as Vicki put it so well, predatory. Anything, even the Govinda act, was better than Jalal as a doormat to be walked over.

Inconsistency: This  said, the total lack of consistency in Jodha's characterisation was bewildering. Watch her in the kahin bhi jaake mariye, par hamare Amer mein nahin scene, lecturing him on her life and his, and look at her the very day!

The CVs have obviously never heard of either  progressive track development or of intelligent romance. It has to be the icebox or the khatiya, it seems, nothing in between. Alas for my hopes of a Jalal-Jodha between whom there is mutual caring and affection developing,  slowly but surely...an  edgy friendship morphing, insensibly, into love.

I suppose I should be grateful if Ekta does not decide to graduate from the Govinda template and  borrow scenes from her contemporary horror shows like Kya kool hai hum in future  episodes!

Episode 94 (Friday): 'I' stands for Integrity:

The outpouring of relief and joy across the forum,  after Jodha's ringing endorsement of the Shahenshah's refusal to hand over the Ratanpur fort, was directly proportional to their residual worries, the Govinda-Karishma stunt notwithstanding, that there would be a reversion of the cold war between them over this issue.

There was a near unanimous attribution of her endorsement of Jalal's stand on the fort to her caring, if not love as yet,  for him, and her protectiveness of him, and never mind if neither of these was anywhere in evidence on Wednesday night. She was just keeping them carefully under wraps, you  see!

As for Jalal, the bulk of the forum was in ecstasy over his referring to her as apni Jodha Begum.

My own take on this episode is rather different, and if you consider it carefully, you just might agree with me that this take is more consistent with Jodha's yoyo  like behaviour over the last week.

To my mind, nothing of what Jodha - or Jalal for that matter - does in this episode is dependent on the current state of their relationship. It is solely a question of the personal integrity of each of them.

Jalal would have called her apni  Jodha Begum in any case, for  that is what she is. Remember what he tells Mahaam in that quasi-soliloquy about ek hi kashti mein sawaar? She is his legally wedded wife, and so is entitled to all the public and private respect that goes with that position. As for the possessive adjective, what else would she be but his Jodha Begum? He would not refer to her as if she was some casual outsider.

As for Jodha, she defends Jalal because of her sense of right and wrong is always very clear. She knows that he is a man of his word, and so she backs him by saying that HE did not give this promise. It need have nothing to do with a greater understanding of what it means to be an emperor, as man are happily concluding. In fact I am pretty sure it does not.

As I wrote to Lashy in response to her question on her thread, it is not just a question of Jodha's personal integrity but of her assessment of the Shahenshah's personal integrity as well. She knows that he has kept every  promise he ever made to her, even when it was something that went completely against the grain for him. As  he never tires of repeating, the Shahenshah's word is patthar ki lakeer. So, it is but natural that she defends him on the promise issue, affirming that if he said he had not given that promise, it meant that he had not. This does not need any new and warm personal feelings for him on her part  at  all;  it is her objective assessment of Jalal's persona.

The only change now is that she does not deny or contradict , as was her habit earlier, whatever good  she has learnt about him from his behaviour, and dismiss it by saying "Isme  bhi unki koyi chal hogi" As no one can prove a negative, she was home  and dry, and did not need to face up to facts at all.

But she now takes it all at face value, that he has been a man of integrity in the matter of Sukanya's marriage as well.  The elaborate statement of backup arguments to buttress her affirmation is the same, though in a different context, as the arguments she once  offered against the execution of Abdul.

That she perceives and accepts Jalal'a integrity is obviously  the cumulative impact of a number of recent happenings: his not having uttered  a word of blame to her for the narnaal  fiasco, his epiphany at Ajmer which makes her conclude that he too is a man of God, and finally what he did to fulfil her sankalp during  the Kali Mandir visit. But still, at the end of the day, it comes round to her faith in his integrity, in being what he appears to be.

Secondly, her stand against  the demand for the durg need have nothing to do with anything she feels for Jalal, any more that Pratap's identical reaction has. She thinks such extortionate and improper demands are disgraceful, and that the Dhawalgarh lot have no right to demand as part of the kanyadhan  something that does not belong to Amer and is thus not theirs to give, and she says so.

It is another matter that, with her usual disregard for logic, she brushes aside the point repeatedly made by Bhagwan Das, that it is not now a question of whom the fort belongs to, but of a promise made, if not by the Shahenshah, then on his behalf, and thus of the violation of that promise.

There  is nothing new in her opposing her own family. She did it even for Abdul, remember? She marches to the sound of her own drummer.

So do both Jalal and Pratap. The latter was superlative on Friday, and Jalal was all Emperor, at long last. His looking at Jodha just before he leaves the assembly, a look that conveys both his inability to do anything else and his regret at that, is his only  concession to his personal ties to those involved.

All this  said, I am getting to be rather tired of all this parsing every look and every word of this couple in 9 columns, as we used to do in my schooldays in English grammar classes.

This  seems, increasingly, to be all the more pointless as the character graphs oscillate wildly from episode to episode, as far as the Jalal-Jodha equations are concerned.

But their sense of personal integrity is a constant. It is like the difference between those grossly  misleading promos and a precap. I thus prefer to base myself on this integrity angle to try and explain what each, and especially Jodha, does.

Need for voice-overs in Jodha's solo scenes: Lastly, I agree with Lashy that there is a sad  lack of any voice overs showing Jodha arguing with herself or mulling things over, about Jalal and otherwise.

I have long felt the same, and I have written in the past about this absence of such an inner voice, in the solo scenes for Jodha, being a roadblock  when the viewers try  to understand what makes her tick. The only exception to this was the Green Jodha /Yellow Jodha scene, but that was a one shot affair, never repeated. Jalal has the occasional scene of him ruminating and thinking aloud. Jodha, never, bar  that one exception.

This should  be rectified,  but it will not be. This will be, to my mind, not because the CVs are not sure of themselves. It seems rather to be because they want to keep open the one step forwards, 2 steps backwards option. Otherwise, how will  they churn out 500 episodes?

Shyamala

PS: The Dhawalgarh Raja looks like a character out of Ratatouille. There is something very ratlike about his face, don't you agree?

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 94: 'I' stands for Integrity

Post by clarissasham on 2013-10-29, 09:27

PS: The Dhawalgarh Raja looks like a character out of Ratatouille. There is something very ratlike about his face, don't you agree?

aunty that movie is my favorite he he:lol!: 

loved ur write up and agree on jodha esp yes she was always clear about her right  or worng adn she knows jalal is right.... 

though i loved the coochi cooing and opush up scenes ... :sunny: 

clarissasham
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-10-29, 10:50

Welcome back Aunty, hope ur all rejuvenated :) :) 

Loved the write-up Aunty and yes, the boolean behaviour of Jodha does irritate me but guess....such tendencies are akin to a typical husband-wife relationship..... Wink :P

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Manasvi on 2013-10-29, 11:48

There are a couple of scenes that stood out in this episode A) Jodha and Sukanya's bond...such a close bond between the sisters, Sukanya asking her sister to not give up in the relationship B) Ammijaan and the person she is...a person full of integrity and substance. She does not want to leave for Agra leaving the job half-done. C) Jalal having blind faith in his relations and extended family and not trusting Jodha as yet inspire of her repeatedly telling him that Sharifuddin is at fault..Jalal repeating the mistakes of his past..not having learnt his lesson from the dature ka ark episode.. May be he did..we will know tomorrow..D) Sweet dadisa .. So adorable ..hugs to you for rescuing Jodha. ... The episode belonged to Paridhi..finally We get to see her do some acting...the CV's had reduced her dialogue delivery to Grina and nafrat.. Good job Paridhi..

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-10-29, 16:15

Dear Manasvi,The dature ka ark example is not really relevant . There, Jalal exculpated both Jodha and Salima on his own and traced the culprit. That Mahaam got away by using a look alike is another matter altogether.Now,  We know that wrote:
the groom's party is being absolutely honest, but how would Jalal know that?  He thinks they are lying, and let us not trot out the Rajvanshis never lie nonsense. They have lied often enough, from the days of Jaichand downwards. I cannot understand why the Rajputs protest against this serial, which glorifies them far more than history  warrants. It is not that Jalal  trusts Sharifuddin blindly, whatever he might say to Jodha. It is rather that he cannot see what he would stand to gain from such a charade, as he says to Hamida Banu. At first sight, no rational person would be able to understand WHY Sharifuddin would want to take such a risk for no visible gain. It is the same with Jalal. He is absolutely  logical in what he says to his mother. In fact, I too found it very strange that he is doing it merely to take revenge on the Amer royals, plus damaging the Jalal-Jodha relationship, but at a very great risk to himself if ever he should be found out. It is one man's word, his brother-in-law's,  against the two others, for there are no other witnesses, and he does not know the Rat King (the Dhawalgarh Raja, is this not an apt name for him?) and his son as people at all. And in contrast with Adham,whom he does not trust at all,  right now he has no reason to distrust Sharifuddin. As for Jodha, he thinks she is a prejudiced party and is cooking this up to get him to hand over the durg. After all,  just  2 days ago, she told him it did not matter to her if anything happened to him provided it did not happen in Amer and jeopardise her sister's marriage. When this is the extent of her caring for his life in comparison with this wedding, why would he think that she would not implicate Sharifuddin to get the marriage back on the rails?
Secondly, the way in which Jodha handles the saboot  part in front of Jalal is a carbon copy  of the rank ineptitude with which she handles the Rahim aur dature ke ark ki  dibbi  affair. Drag an unprepared and  frightened witness in front of the Shahenshah without any warning and expect them to tell the truth.Next, what IS the truth to which she wants Bakhsi Banu to testify? Jodha only hears Sharifuddin say to his wife Sab wapas aa jayega.  She has NOT heard him say Jab shaadi hi nahin hogi to which preceded it. So how does she conclude that Bakshi Banu is privy to Sharifuddin's fraud?Finally, knowing Jalal's temper and his swiftness to punish brutally, she should have been able to guess that he would execute Sharifuddin on the spot for defrauding him in such a disgraceful manner. She should thus have anticipated that Bakshi Banu would be what is called in legal parlance a hostile witness. But then Jodha neither has any imagination, nor the ability to put herself in  the shoes of another and try to visualise that person's likely reaction. Which is why she always comes a cropper.This is where her affirmation in the precap is excellent tactics. It will get him to move and try and work out something far more than any  accusation could. She shows that at a pinch, she will take his side, and that will touch him more than any  of her hectoring him earlier. His face in the last shot is  a study in puzzlement: he is trying hard to decipher this new Jodha Begum. Rajat still has the power to surprise me; that shot was mindblowing.Shyamala B.CowsikManasviThere are a couple of scenes that stood out in this episode A) Jodha and Sukanya's bond...such a close bond between the sisters, Sukanya asking her sister to not give up in the relationship B) Ammijaan and the person she is...a person full of integrity and substance. She does not want to leave for Agra leaving the job half-done. C) Jalal having blind faith in his relations and extended family and not trusting Jodha as yet inspire of her repeatedly telling him that Sharifuddin is at fault..Jalal repeating the mistakes of his past..not having learnt his lesson from the dature ka ark episode.. May be he did..we will know tomorrow..D) Sweet dadisa .. So adorable ..hugs to you for rescuing Jodha. ... The episode belonged to Paridhi..finally We get to see her do some acting...the CV's had reduced her dialogue delivery to Grina and nafrat.. Good job Paridhi..

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-10-29, 16:45

Aunty, Absolutely loved the explanation u gave to Manasvi  Thumbsup

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-10-29, 16:46

Manasvi wrote:There are a couple of scenes that stood out in this episode A) Jodha and Sukanya's bond...such a close bond between the sisters, Sukanya asking her sister to not give up in the relationship B) Ammijaan and the person she is...a person full of integrity and substance. She does not want to leave for Agra leaving the job half-done. C) Jalal having blind faith in his relations and extended family and not trusting Jodha as yet inspire of her repeatedly telling him that Sharifuddin is at fault..Jalal repeating the mistakes of his past..not having learnt his lesson from the dature ka ark episode.. May be he did..we will know tomorrow..D) Sweet dadisa .. So adorable ..hugs to you for rescuing Jodha. ... The episode belonged to Paridhi..finally We get to see her do some acting...the CV's had reduced her dialogue delivery to Grina and nafrat.. Good job Paridhi..
u have aptly highlighted the scenes which made an impact yday cheers  bounce

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 15:43

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum