Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 100: Curiously unsatisfactory

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 100: Curiously unsatisfactory

Post by sashashyam on 2013-11-06, 13:04

Folks,
I hesitated quite a bit before beginning this one, for I do not like raining on anyone's parade. I do wish I could share in the outpouring of  joy and relief across the forum and the happy endings for both the  butparasti-cum-conversion, and the body heat (now the black cloth) issues. But I cannot in all honesty do that, for my overall  impression - only slightly improved after a rewatch this morning, and that too because of aspects other than these two - is that  it was slapdash at best and ludicrous at worst. So, if you are among the rejoicing 95%+, I shall not mind if you decide to switch off at this point!
-The Green Missive: The  message from Sheikh Salim Chisti was, in its soaring  mysticism, unquestionably  the most beautiful part of the episode.  His reference to the Almighty  understanding the twittering of the birds that the Sheikh  had seen flying around in the morning reminded me  of another epiphany.
This was that of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa, who, as a boy, saw a flock of white swans flying over head in the blue sky. He had a vision, an epiphany, of the Divine, which was so strong that he fell down in a dead faint and did not come to his senses for hours. It is thus that he acquired  the suffix Paramahansa.
It is not clear what the Sheikh meant by Jalal creating an place like Ajmer Sharif free of religious strife; does he mean a physical place of pilgrimage,  or a religious meeting place  like the Din-e-Ilahi that Akbar created much later in his reign?
The Sheikh  says, in an echo of what Hamida Banu once tells Jalal during the Farida fraud on him, that Jalal will have an heir once he understands mohabbat.  One did not spot Hamida clapping, but she must have been hard at it!
The question, however is this:  did the Sheikh have any idea  of the endless frustrations and despair that Akbar would suffer because of the totally unsatisfactory heir that Salim/Jahangir turned out to be? So much so that  he would have gladly ditched him if there had been any other heir available?
This was in fact proof positive of the old adage that there is only one thing worse than not getting what you want, and that is getting it.
Jalal: He was all Shahenshah in the Diwan-e-Khas before the ulema arrived, furious about their threat to his throne, raging  like a  caged lion as he seeks the source of the leak about his mandir visit, and cowing down Sharifuddin with a single scorching glance for daring to repeat/suggest, as  the way out, that Jodha should convert or leave Agra.
But then all he does in practice is tell the hapless Atgah Khan to produce the culprit. How does he think this is going to be done, by  magic?   In fact, in every problem of this kind, both Jalal and his Wazir are all talk and no action. Why, Hoshiyaar was better than the official spies at finding out about the maulvi revolt! God help the Mughal sultanate if these are all the intelligence resources they have.
But during the actual hearing, apart from  his insistence on his zubaan to Jodha, then and earlier,  and that there should be no pressure on her to convert, Jalal seems curiously passive,  and strangely ready to cave in  to the power of the clergy. There is none of the fire with which he declares, just  a little earlier, that if they had not been the custodians of the faith, he would have decapitated them on the spot. In fact he throws  in the towel straightaway, and not only accepts that they have the right to dethrone him, but is ready to step down at once.
This is simply unbelievable, that an emperor would be prepared to quit this throne, abandon his subjects, and leave them to suffer from all the chaos, instability, civil war and all that would follow in their wake,  for the self indulgence of being seem to keep his word to his wife. This is not rajadharma in any form, it is the negation of it. A king should be prepared to suffer hellfire if necessary to protect his subjects, and here we have a Jalal who thinks of nothing but his own self-indulgent virtue.
And how does Jalal  imagine that the ulema who have, thanks to his lack of resistance, acquired the power to dethrone him, are going to accept his choice of a successor? That too a 4 year old, whose father was one of the most hated men  in the Mughal sultanate? How long does Jalal think Rahim would stay alive even if the ulema accepted him as the heir? It seems to be such an ill-considered, kneejerk  statement that one does not know what to make of it.
Lastly, as far as the court scene is concerned, Jalal hardly looks either relieved or happy after the conversion demand  has been dropped and his position as the Shahenshah once more secure. In fact he looks withdrawn and grumpy.Why? Is it because he realizes what a near run thing it was? But then it was he who made it so.
Jalal-Jodha:  As Lashy has put it perceptively, though in different words, Jalal treats Jodha like a somewhat retarded child, whom he loves to cherish, indulge and tease. So nothing she does really upsets him; one does not get angry at the folly of children. He gives and gives and gives to her  and, to please her, to her family, just as he lavishes toys and sweets and dresses on his little saalis. There is the same  undemanding  affection and caring towards her as he has towards them.

The  only  difference is that they cherish him in  return, whereas Jodha accepts it all with an unparalleled sense of entitlement, but for what puzzles me. She does not really care for what happens to  him, for if she had, she would have jumped up the moment he announced that he would yield the throne to Rahim, and declared that she was ready  to convert of her own free will,  if only out of the gratitude to him that  she never voices but which she, hopefully, feels somewhere inside!

But she does not, and looks instead to Hamida Banu to bail her out,  and save her from blame for not having done anything to save her husband's throne. She never imagines that Hamida will decide that she should convert.
As I plan to stick for as long as I can to my Deepavali resolution not to tear strips off Jodha, I shall refrain from comment about her opening  lines to Jalal as soon as he turns up in her rooms. Besides how can one blame her when he is determined, like Darcy, to be pleased with her no matter what she does? It is pointless to look for a stormy, dominating Rhett in this Jalal, who reserves his imperiousness for Adham and Sharifuddin.
It is a fundamentally unbalanced equation between them, with him doing all the running, and I do not  think this is likely to change any time soon. Just look at the precap! She is preaching to him against acting in haste and anger, and he is taking it in with boundless admiration. Yet what does she do  every single time there is a problem except to act in haste and in anger? The obvious contradiction clearly does not occur to him.
In fact, Jodha Akbar is fast becoming a jazzed up version of PR, with a heroine who can never do anything wrong and is perennially up there  on a pedestal. Not because she is intelligent or resourceful or capable of logical thought, but simply because the CVs decree that it be so.

Why, yesterday Jodha was so much like a deflated balloon, helpless and adrift, that it was depressing to watch her. Our Amer ki Mirchi cannot even deduce that a man who can give up a throne to keep one promise he made her would never have broken another  promise (by now, Jalal's non-existent zubaan  has taken on a life of its own!), but actually attacks him afresh on that score. How an intelligent man can love such a featherbrained creature is a mystery.

Till now, there has not been a single instance where she has influenced Jalal  for the better, and whatever is good and noble in him was always there. Still, you will now see this haivaan ko banaya insaan mantra  being force fed to us; it has already started with the precap.

So, the only constant these days in Jodha Akbar is Meri Jodha Mahaan.
Jalal-Ruqaiya: Jalal's behaviour towards Ruqaiya yesternight, cold and  somewhat mocking,  lowered him in my estimation. I still remember how he was constantly scheming with her against Jodha in the old days; that was apparently kosher, but what she did now, which is only to be expected from a jealous watchful begum,  is not? I do not respect a man who throws over an old relationship for a new one, that too one in which he is doing all the  running after a disdainful,  eternally taking woman. There should have been some loyalty to a childhood friend who had shared all the ups and downs in his life, and at least some of the indulgence he shows in abundance towards his new obsession.

I also feel, like Ariel,  that what Ruqaiya was feeling as she watched Jodha and Jalal talking and laughing was hurt more than jealousy, though jealousy would naturally have been there as well, and why not? She too loves Jalal, without ever having acknowledged because of his oft stated aversion to the M word. Smiley brought out the pathos of this predicament beautifully in her last scene with Jalal.

The problem  for me  here is that I  cannot really pin down A Ruqaiya, ever since Smiley's complex, vulnerable Ruqaiya was replaced. So saying anything in defence of this one is like stepping on to quicksand.  
But regardless of what she is, which is no different from what he has been till recently towards Jodha, and still is in other respects, Jalal should have handled her better and let her down without making her lose face. The part where he needles her about him and Jodha that night was deliberately hurtful and  beneath him. I hope he redeems himself as the show proceeds.
As for those who feel that in pressurizing Jodha to convert or in rushing a messenger to warn Jalal about the maulvi revolt, Ruqaiya was  simply defending her own interests that are tied to Jalal, I for one see this as too facile an explanation.
Ruqaiya  is a complex character. She attaches top priority to Jalal's takht and to his remaining the Shahenshah because she is a Mughal princess. She has seen all the terrors and upheavals he has been thru, and thus sees the paramount need for him to retain the throne. Plus , as Alakh says, she is his childhood friend and she loves him in her own fashion. That cannot be denied.

Hamida Banu's reactions and what she says to  Jodha after the tiger attack, when Jalal  is at death's door, are very similar to Ruqaiya's. She never seems to be mourning the likely death of her son then, does she? She only voices fear for what will happen to the sultanate if the Shahenshah dies. So how, using the same logic,  should we  interpret those statements by Hamida? Obviously that she cares nothing for Jalal as her son, but only for the Emperor. 

Jodha has seen nothing of any kind of hardship in her life, except when Amer is threatened by Sharifuddin. So, by the same token, if and when Jodha tries to protect Jalal in the future, one could argue similarly that it would be because his continuance in power is vital for Amer's survival.

That would not be true, and neither is it true that Ruqaiya's fears for Jalal are motivated solely by her self interest. Or Hamida's for that matter.

Hamida Banu: The  other candidate for a halo after Jodha Begum. And for a gold medal for that 11:59:59 reprieve for Jodha. Of course she knew that the man from Ajmer Sharif would land up just before Jodha read the kalma,  like  a bomb being defused always with 1 second to go. Probably she knew he was like Harry Potter, and could apparate it  with that green missive.
The Kala Vastra: Nothing did more to cheer me up at episode end than this brainwave of the CVs. I was falling off my chair for laughing.  
It was LUDICROUS. A black cloth, or even a black blanket,  cannot generate heat, which was what was needed. Jodha's half frozen body had no heat to conserve. What was needed was an external source of heat. That is why the Khwaja recommended her husband hugging her tight to transfer HIS body warmth to her.  And  if not body heat, there could have been  the Mughal equivalent of  brandy, plus a blazing fire. Neither of which needed Jalal .
But how on earth can a black cloth  wrapping thaw out  a frozen body? This kind of nonsense is an insult to the intelligence of the viewers. And obviously none of the CVs has done even an elementary course in physics!
What riles me is that this is beginning to resemble the endless fake DNA reports and fake duration of pregnancy reports in PR, plus the total farce that was periodically shown there in terms of court procedures. If the CVs take the viewers so much for granted, AND are condoned, how then can one complain any longer? They will take heart from the rapturous reception to this episode and dish out even worse things next time around.
The mystery of the mole: To my mind, the most  interesting point in today's episode was Adham's revelation that it was not he who had leaked the butparasti  details  to the maulvis. It was clearly not Mahaam either. So who could it have been?

Even earlier, I was wondering about who could have known about Jalal's  maatha-tekhna in front of the Kaali Maa,  for only Jodha and her daasis were with Jalal then, and all the Mughal courtiers had been left outside. Unless one of the daasis gushed about what the Shahenshah had done to one of the Mughal baandis. It is mysterious.

I saw some speculation elsewhere that it could have been Ruqaiya, but that is as incredible as the black cloth explanation. She would never have risked Jalal's takht by initiating  a process that could so easily spin out of control,  and destroy not just Jalal's life but her own, and for what? To put Jodha on the spot? A non-starter if ever there was one.

I bet the CVs have no idea either, so this will be the latest addition to the collection of loose ends that abound in Jodha Akbar.
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 100: Curiously unsatisfactory

Post by Manasvi on 2013-11-06, 15:00

Sashashyam, you have an interesting interpretation of the recent episodes. Agreed, Jalal was the tormentor and would go to ruks and share every detail of his conversation with jodha in the past. However, after the suicide episode, Jalal did some soul searching and developed a soft corner for Jodha. My take is that Ruks has been thinking all along that Jodha is like one of his many begums who he has used and discarded and now that he has had a one night stand with Jodha, she would be reduced to one of the many begums awaiting their next chance..alas, in matters of the heart, these things don't work. In so many words, he is trying to convey the truth or soon tobe the truth on his relationship with Jodha begum. Jalal tells Ruks the truth but not the whole truth. In a previous occasion, he said MOhabbat karate hain hum Jodha begum se.. And now he says he shared the room with Jodha for the night.. He is probably testing the waters to see her reaction so he can handle his begums appropriately. A woman can never share her man..I am sure it was not easy in the 16th century either.. They didn't have a choice then..Poligamy was practiced widely,

The kala Vastra thing was silly I agree. How on earth could you revive a frozen body by draping it in a black cloth. Jalal, please !! Hugging her all through the night would have made more sense...hugging is not the same as sex..please !! We are all grown ups and this is a family show but please, CV's, don't feed us something so stupid.

Jalal is a man of words...zubaan me pakke.. Again, willing to abdicate the throne for a promise is admirable. Howeve,Would have expected Jodha to get up and stop him when he mentioned about Rahim. Alas, our Jodha madam is too full of herself..it would have been better for her to stop that by embracing islam which Salim Chisti would have stopped anyways. Hamida Begum need not have been involved in this at all.

It seems silly that Jalal has fallen hook , line and sinker for the Ameri Mirch when she has time and again shown to be full of herself.. But. It is always so in matters of the heart..the head does not rule.hopefully Jodha will live up to our expectations.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-11-06, 15:56

A very different perspective Shyamala ji.

//How an intelligent man can love such a featherbrained creature is a mystery.

They say opposites attract. :P

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-11-06, 16:34

As for @ red, do see my next one, coming up in a minute - The demands of Rajadharma, and I am sure you will change your mind on this. As for the rest, I agree with you.Shyamala (please call me so)Manasvi wrote:Sashashyam, you have an interesting interpretation of the recent episodes. Agreed, Jalal was the tormentor and would go to ruks and share every detail of his conversation with jodha in the past. However, after the suicide episode, Jalal did some soul searching and developed a soft corner for Jodha. My take is that Ruks has been thinking all along that Jodha is like one of his many begums who he has used and discarded and now that he has had a one night stand with Jodha, she would be reduced to one of the many begums awaiting their next chance..alas, in matters of the heart, these things don't work. In so many words, he is trying to convey the truth or soon tobe the truth on his relationship with Jodha begum. Jalal tells Ruks the truth but not the whole truth. In a previous occasion, he said MOhabbat karate hain hum Jodha begum se.. And now he says he shared the room with Jodha for the night.. He is probably testing the waters to see her reaction so he can handle his begums appropriately. A woman can never share her man..I am sure it was not easy in the 16th century either.. They didn't have a choice then..Poligamy was practiced widely,

The kala Vastra thing was silly I agree. How on earth could you revive a frozen body by draping it in a black cloth. Jalal, please !! Hugging her all through the night would have made more sense...hugging is not the same as sex..please !! We are all grown ups and this is a family show but please, CV's, don't feed us something so stupid.

Jalal is a man of words...zubaan me pakke.. Again, willing to abdicate the throne for a promise is admirable. Howeve,Would have expected Jodha to get up and stop him when he mentioned about Rahim. Alas, our Jodha madam is too full of herself..it would have been better for her to stop that by embracing islam which Salim Chisti would have stopped anyways. Hamida Begum need not have been involved in this at all.

It seems silly that Jalal has fallen hook , line and sinker for the Ameri Mirch when she has time and again shown to be full of herself.. But. It is always so in matters of the heart..the head does not rule.hopefully Jodha will live up to our expectations.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2013-11-06, 21:57

Loved reading you Shyamalaji. I had conceded right in the beginning of the show its going to be a typical Ekta show only thing being the charcaters would be in royal attire :lol!:
Otherwise the story is def fictitious as they put the disclaimer. there is lot of loopholes and illogical scritpting

..>>I agree tht it was silly of Jalal to give up the throne so easily which he had worked so hard and had some responisbility towards his people.

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2013-11-06, 22:06

Manasvi wrote:Sashashyam, you have an interesting interpretation of the recent episodes. Agreed, Jalal was the tormentor and would go to ruks and share every detail of his conversation with jodha in the past. However, after the suicide episode, Jalal did some soul searching and developed a soft corner for Jodha. My take is that Ruks has been thinking all along that Jodha is like one of his many begums who he has used and discarded and now that he has had a one night stand with Jodha, she would be reduced to one of the many begums awaiting their next chance..alas, in matters of the heart, these things don't work. In so many words, he is trying to convey the truth or soon tobe the truth on his relationship with Jodha begum. Jalal tells Ruks the truth but not the whole truth. In a previous occasion, he said MOhabbat karate hain hum Jodha begum se.. And now he says he shared the room with Jodha for the night.. He is probably testing the waters to see her reaction so he can handle his begums appropriately. A woman can never share her man..I am sure it was not easy in the 16th century either.. They didn't have a choice then..Poligamy was practiced widely,

Manasvi loved your post ! cheers 

I so agree Ruqs has been too over confident and ignoring tips from MA

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2013-11-07, 02:41

nice post...watchin the episode i put some the things shown down as artistic licence..

this being a ekta show and fiction it is going to take liberties with history, hence the dialogue about mohabbat and kids was for effect...

.Jalal announcing Rahim as the successor has a nice idea if he can rule through him...he is young would need guidance and is malleable like Jalal once was and a way of keeping power... if it only worked like that..., now I don't know how it worked in those days but I assume he had no way of enforcing that choice unless he took back the crown forcefully..to me it illustrated that he knows he can't trust the others, he has doubts, he knows they would do things there way.. Mahamanga [ if females can rule], Shriffuddin or Adham Khan..at the beginning of the show the case in point for Mahamanga may have been different...

something I wondered was did Jalal know he was coming, did Humeida let him in on it...because he was not doing anything...and then after both Humeida and Jalal were like he would have stood for you, he wouldn't have let them make u change your religion... well the proceedings for the change looked well on their way...wen was he planning on stopping it?? it didn't look right...

dont get me started on Jodha.. i don't have much good to say about her... she wanted to b saved, she knew Humeida's thought before hand.. Ah the shock wen Humeida said she would have to convert lol.. nice analogy like a child...there r aspects which r not childlike... i suppose they have gone down this route because they need to show Jodha that Jalal isn't as bad as she thinks, that there r redeeming qualities in him...now I wouldn't say that the slight softness, or seeing views different to his is as a result of Jodha's presence, v had seen that for certain things regardless of wat everyone said he did have a heart..eg kids, but i would say for certain things she has got him to open his mind or views.. religion being one...before she came there didn't seem to b tolerance of anything not to do with Islam..

the part of building a place my thoughts jus went to that place they show wen they show they r looking back and talking about wat occurred..

lol my thoughts wen Jalal asked him to find the culprit... here v go again...

about Ruqs and Jalal's mother...yes both were concerned with the state in the event of something happening to Jalal however Humeida's concern seems to have come through at other times whereas all v here from Ruqs is about ruling, being in power and Jalal being that avenue for her to do it, even to the extent that her child was another avenue to gain more importance, rights, power.. and unfortunately wen they went down the route of this Ruqs with the new actress they lost the person, vulnerability they had shown in the other who seemed to have more thoughts then just raj...

i didn't mind Jalal's words to Ruqs...i took it as a husband trying to get a reaction from a wife..wanting to know she cares...because there relationship is friendship but not love...its more mind, and give me and I give you...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-11-07, 08:45

Thank you for the detailed comments.No, I don't think Jalal knew that message was coming. As for the disastrous abdication offer, do see my next one The demands of Rajadharma, which was put up late yesterday. That is exactly what would have happened if Jalal had,most irresponsibly, stepped down.Shyamala B.Cowsiksarra0 wrote:nice post...watchin the episode i put some the things shown down as artistic licence..

this being a ekta show and fiction it is going to take liberties with history, hence the dialogue about mohabbat and kids was for effect...

.Jalal announcing Rahim as the successor has a nice idea if he can rule through him...he is young would need guidance and is malleable like Jalal once was and a way of keeping power... if it only worked like that..., now I don't know how it worked in those days but I assume he had no way of enforcing that choice unless he took back the crown forcefully..to me it illustrated that he knows he can't trust the others, he has doubts, he knows they would do things there way.. Mahamanga [ if females can rule], Shriffuddin or Adham Khan..at the beginning of the show the case in point for Mahamanga may have been different...

something I wondered was did Jalal know he was coming, did Humeida let him in on it...because he was not doing anything...and then after both Humeida and Jalal were like he would have stood for you, he wouldn't have let them make u change your religion... well the proceedings for the change looked well on their way...wen was he planning on stopping it?? it didn't look right...

dont get me started on Jodha.. i don't have much good to say about her... she wanted to b saved, she knew Humeida's thought before hand.. Ah the shock wen Humeida said she would have to convert lol.. nice analogy like a child...there r aspects which r not childlike... i suppose they have gone down this route because they need to show Jodha that Jalal isn't as bad as she thinks, that there r redeeming qualities in him...now I wouldn't say that the slight softness, or seeing views different to his is as a result of Jodha's presence, v had seen that for certain things regardless of wat everyone said he did have a heart..eg kids, but i would say for certain things she has got him to open his mind or views.. religion being one...before she came there didn't seem to b tolerance of anything not to do with Islam..

the part of building a place my thoughts jus went to that place they show wen they show they r looking back and talking about wat occurred..

lol my thoughts wen Jalal asked him to find the culprit... here v go again...

about Ruqs and Jalal's mother...yes both were concerned with the state in the event of something happening to Jalal however Humeida's concern seems to have come through at other times whereas all v here from Ruqs is about ruling, being in power and Jalal being that avenue for her to do it, even to the extent that her child was another avenue to gain more importance, rights, power.. and unfortunately wen they went down the route of this Ruqs with the new actress they lost the person, vulnerability they had shown in the other who seemed to have more thoughts then just raj...

i didn't mind Jalal's words to Ruqs...i took it as a husband trying to get a reaction from a wife..wanting to know she cares...because there relationship is friendship but not love...its more mind, and give me and I give you...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-11-07, 17:11

Shyamala .. I am addicted to your writing .. They are always awesome .. I do read them even though. I belong to the 95% rejoicing crowd ...

I feel the mole that leaked the temple visit to the maulvies was none other than Mahamangaa .. Because she was the one who had warned Jo several times .. That Jalal's temple visit was going to have serious fall out .. At Amer .. And she was very much opposed to Jo doing puja  in the harem ...

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-11-07, 21:03

No, Sumana, you have not listened to the confrontation scene at the palace gates carefully. When the maulvis start on the butparasti issue, Mahaam is talking to herself, and wondering how on earth this news reached Agra. Moreover, she is a political  pro, and she would never risk igniting a controversy like this which could easily spin out of control,  and in fact very nearly did.As for her warning Jodha about the likely negative consequences of the visit, that was after the visit, so I never saw what she meant by saying that Jodha should have stopped him!Judging from his later scene with the Maulvis, I think it was Sharifuddin, though I do not understand how he learnt about the maata tekhna  by Jalal in front of the Kali Maa, seeing that Jalal went in alone with Jodha and all the Mughal escort stayed outside.Thank you for your  very warm comment about my posts.Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:Shyamala .. I am addicted to your writing .. They are always awesome .. I do read them even though. I belong to the 95% rejoicing crowd ...

I feel the mole that leaked the temple visit to the maulvies was none other than Mahamangaa .. Because she was the one who had warned Jo several times .. That Jalal's temple visit was going to have serious fall out .. At Amer .. And she was very much opposed to Jo doing puja  in the harem ...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 02:39

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum