Latest topics

The Story Of Yeh Hai Mohabbatein Deals With The Theme Of ‘Nature vs Nurture’: Ekta Kapoor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Story Of Yeh Hai Mohabbatein Deals With The Theme Of ‘Nature vs Nurture’: Ekta Kapoor

Post by pollyanna on 2013-11-26, 15:19

The Story Of Yeh Hai Mohabbatein Deals With The Theme Of ‘Natur vs Nurture’: Ekta Kapoor

Yeh Hai Mohabbatein is the story of Ishita and Raman and how their lives intersect when Ishita’s family moves in next door. What will happen when their distinct personalities collide? We chat up with Ekta Kapoor to find out more…

Q. The story Yeh Hai Mohabbatein is based on the book Custody? Tell us a little more about that?

a. Yes. The story is based on a book called Custody by Manju Kapoor. When I read the book, I knew I had to make a show about the theme. It obviously has been tweaked to suit the medium and audience sensibilities to the extent that I didn’t need to ask anyone before making the show. But I thought it’d be unethical. So I went ahead and bought the rights of the book.

Q. Were the changes in the book a bone of contention between you and the author?

a. Not at all, really. Manju told me that I understand the medium so I should go ahead with what I see fit. Her only point was that we shouldn’t make the character of Shagun, who is Karan’s character’s Raman’s first wife, negative. Shagun has an affair with Raman’s boss. So I said that it is for the audience to decide if they want to call Shagun negative or not.

Q. You think the 11pm slot will work for the show?

a. I actually requested for the 11pm slot because I didn’t want primetime. The show is for a niche and more urban audience who will want to watch some fresh content at the time. I wanted to make a show exactly how I want it to be so I didn’t want the pressure of a prime time slot which are shows targeted to everyone.

Q. Kids pull a lot of audience for any show. Does Ruhi have as much to do on the show?

a. The story deals with the theme of ‘nature vs nurture’. In our Indian mythology, Yashoda by virtue of having brought up Krishna is always put above Devki who was Krishna’s birth mother. Ruhi’s upbringing by Ishita forms a major crux of the story. The show deals with the bigger question of what makes a woman a mother.

Q. Any particular reason for this theme?

a. I know a lot of women who have problems conceiving after marriage and that makes them a point of ridicule and they’re considered half women. Through this show I want this to reach dinner table conversation and each time a woman goes through this problem, I want the family members to think of Ishita. it is a glaring reality of today and we cannot ignore it.

Q. There are very interesting supporting characters too. Tell us a little about them?

a. it’s funny but the concept of neighbours has never really been explored on Indian television. There is a a funny North vs South nok-jhok that will continue through the show for everyone to enjoy.

*TE

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Re: The Story Of Yeh Hai Mohabbatein Deals With The Theme Of ‘Nature vs Nurture’: Ekta Kapoor

Post by pollyanna on 2013-11-26, 15:32

Point to be noted--

she chose 11 pm slot to show what she wants Wink 

and the character of Shagun will be left for audience to decide---as Manju had requested.

Hmmm...i can already see lots of scenes/sequences which HAD to be only for niche audience Wink

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum