Latest topics

Haan! Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Haan! Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain...

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 15:49

hello... mohabbat hain, par utna bhi nahin... aagey bhi padho...:lol!: 

Watched the first four episodes of Yeh hai Mohabbatein.

TV is no more repetitive and Ekta Kapoor is here to underline it! This show is based on the novel “Custody” by Manju Kapur. And I hope it is a limited episodes serial. I wish to goodness that it won’t be dragged on and on. I read an article, in fact several articles about it… but the one that comes to mind is this one…

[url=http://www.tjells.com/article/354_Asha saharan.pdf][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/url]

Maternity versus Feminity…  Infertility versus Infedility…

And I am liking it as a whole.

The first episode mostly deals with Infertility.

The episode begins aptly with a narration of Lord Krishna’s birth by Ishita, who is a dentist by profession with a special affinity and skill with little kids. Her yearning and longing for what she could probably never have in life is brought out very well. also apt is the line… “Uss din, do Maa-on ka janam bhi hua… ek, Devaki, jissney Krishna ko Janam diya… aur doosri, Yasodha, jissney unhein paala…

While Devaki had to separate herself from her child… it is for no fault of her own. She could not be blamed for the circumstances. Yasodha did not give birth to Kaanha, but she doted on him. And praises are sung in her favour. So when it comes to a struggle between Shagun and Ishita here… how will it be presented? An evil, selfish, adulterous biological mother with the backing of society with the loving step-mother? The clichéd black and white route? Or will they be more realistic and present the other side of the story too? Will Ruhi’s mother be presented as only human with nothing much to call vice, except for an ardent wish to break forth from unhappy shackles and live life on her own terms.

Ishita is presented to us as the simple, sweet, soft-spoken South Indian girl; educated, obedient and independent- she is everything people look for in a prospective bride. But no, she is not perfect. She smiles… but there is a world of unhappiness in her eyes when she does so. Her unhappiness is internalized, for she does not wish to shadow the peace of those around her. No avenging Durga, no self-sacrificing martyr; but Ishita is one of those many Indian Girls… normal and real. Yes, they do exist. Poked and prodded and examined minutely under the magnifying lens and left on the shelves of the Marriage Market to gather dust… because they are found wanting in some way or the other. She deals with slights and insults with an untiring smile, she does not provoke… but is not above being provoked. I liked this. (I find such sweet girls rather boring… and the actress is competent though not brilliant. She does manage to convey what we need to know. But here, I will be a little lenient. Because, this is not just any other young girl. she has been dealt  several severe blows by fate and has had to suffer much in her young life. Barbed comments and taunts come her way even without provocation… so yes, she has learnt to keep herself quiet and invisible… to be placating instead of confrontational. How she changes in the future is what I would like to see…)

I liked too, the scenes at the MM (marriage mart… oops! The Yuvati-Yuva Sangam… whatever!) the wares are displayed to advantage and advertised and promoted with vengeance. Interesting to note that they didn’t show any other girl other than Ishita, who was self effacing and humble to a fault, truthful and sweetly well-behaved. The other 3 were boys. One was not self-effacing… but was confident. He did not strive to be humble. The second one was by proxy… Mrs. Bhalla was a hoot… the way she was promoting her “Raman, da Bhalla!” but yes, Mothers are a laugh riot when promoting their offspring, especially if they happen to be boys! The third was an idiot. He promoted himself too… in “The most foolish pick up lines to use on a girl” department! Love at first sight? Really? Yeah… and he scooted at the “First Bell” too… and used a non-existent horoscope as an excuse.

I liked Ishita’s reaction in the car when faced with rejection. Practical and pragmatic; and later at the house too. She did not cry and let loose a volley of reproaches on her mother. She did not go all lofty and uphold the principles of “Truth”, “Honesty” and “Sacrifice.” She did not take a vow of celibacy and refuse to enter the MM again. She merely made a statement. If the man she was in a long-term relationship with and his family could not accept her along with her infertility… how could she or her parents expect virtual strangers to accept her as she is? Ishita promises her mother that she will attend and continue to attend such functions if and so long as her mother so desires. She has not hope, but will keep her mother’s faith.

Ishita’s father too is sensible… he very practically asks what is the point in hiding such facts when all it leads to is a waste of Time? I like this man. And he definitely is a good actor!

Mr. 'Da' Bhalla... in house bartender... ineffectual, invisible, etc.
The extrovert, loud and flamboyant Punjabi family with a prejudice to everything South is probably presented as a violent contrast to the subdued and calm, straight-laced Southies. Also Ekta Kapoor thinks this is humor. But the humor is rather forced. The loud-mouthed, fat, non vegetarian Punjaban with a liking for things “spirit”ual was overdone. Trust me, there are people like her. I lived with a more subtle younger version of her for 4 years during my college days. That typical Northerner’s prejudice against South Indians is truly laugh worthy. Then again, the favor is returned with interest. This basic intolerance between the various races that make us Indians is sometimes what MAKES us INDIANS. It has its own flavor. It is only as good or as bad as we make it. The in-the-face treatment of it was a bit indigestible. Let us hope that when the time comes, it will be truly interesting to see what the familes make of each other when their children decide to unite.

Mrs. Bhalla is loud and intolerant. But that does not mean that she is not vulnerable. She hurts for her son and loves her grand-daughter. Her prejudice probably stems from ignorance and lack of wordliness. A typical North-Indian housewife, concerned with her own little world. But that is no cause for the taunts and barbed comments she throws at Ishita. The fights between the two house-wives are really silly. Surely, there is another way to showcase the fact that the two ladies don’t see eye to eye.

Aiyyo... yeh kya? Mrs. 'Da' Bhalla's moment of infidelity? Caught in her 'Vadda' wala bed... with Muthuswamy!!!!

Mrs. Iyer is depicted as a protective mother. Fiercely loyal to her daughters and large hearted too.

That was why she was willing to keep poor Muthuswamy despite being a devout and strict Brahmin. In contrast, the meat eating Mrs. Bhalla was intolerant of that poor puppy.

Though some things do grate. I cannot digest that exaggerated accent of Ishita’s mother. To be sure, us southies do have an accent… but it not so irritating as it is shown here. That actor needs to tone down.

The father on the other hand was more believable. And also it is to be appreciated that Ishita has a better speech… probably because unlike her parents, she was in the north from a considerably younger age. While on the accent, even if we waive aside the irritating southern mode of speech while the language is Hindi… how can we explain the very very obvious northern inflexion when they are using Tamil words? Why couldn’t Ekta have used a Southern actor for the role of Ishita’s mother? Surely, it could not have been too difficult? Also I wish there were more Tamil Dialogues. Mrs. Bhalla is always talking in Punjabi… while I understand that most of the audience may find Punjabi easy to follow while Tamil is difficult for them to grasp, a little bit more of Tamil, I think, is not too much to ask. But if it is Ishita’s mother speaking…. Then no, thanks… rehne do!

Right! Now that I have got that out of my system, we can get back down to business…

The last few minutes of the first episode is the highlight. It deals with one of the most important facets of womanhood… that of motherhood. The meeting between Ruhi and Ishita. Ishita saves Ruhi’s life. And so begins their fateful journey. Strangely, Ishita remembers her mother’s words… reading out her day’s horoscope… that she will meet the person she will fall in love with at first sight, and for whom she will be willing to sacrifice her life for without a single thought. Her mother thought it was her life-partner, but fate had resolved on the female version of “a little Krishna” for Ishita.

The second episode deals with the other face of womanhood… Sexuality.

And here this sexuality is presented as Infidelity.

Raman is introduced. And I am not so impressed. No matter, I’ll give him time. His wife left him for another man, probably richer and more powerful than him… and he has become spiteful after that. His dealings with that woman in the red saree are proof enough of that. Raman is not an attractive character. But he is honest enough to accept that he was made a fool of in his first marriage. He does not encourage a closeness with Ruhi. He stays detached from his family. His divorce is not yet final… the case is pending.

(On a side note, I liked the body language and expressions of that woman in red! Mr. and Mrs. Luthra’s story appear to be a reflection of Raman and Shagun’s failed marriage.)

Ishita’s extended family and their interpersonal relationships were nicely done. I like the Akka and the Jeejaji. The vampish “almost” mother-in-law was too much. Though I couldn’t fault her for taking Vandana to task for reprimanding her husband for inviting Subbu to the function. Hell, the guy was in his own house! But it was heart-wrenching to see Ishita torn to shreds for no fault of her own.

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Re: Haan! Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain...

Post by Maria J on 2013-12-09, 16:20

Loved reading u Appu.. All the scenes with Ishita and Ruhi have been adorable..

Maria J

Back to top Go down

Re: Haan! Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain... Humein Mohabbat hain...

Post by A.N.Jell_Zarina on 2013-12-09, 16:27

Loved reading u...though i havnt watched the show, ur review touched me...
May be the show is the change in demand..

A.N.Jell_Zarina
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 16:33

thanks, Maria... Ruhi and Ishita does touch the heartstrings.
the little girl is a very silent presence... but a strong one
she will be brought to the fore later

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 16:35

Aasudi wrote:Loved reading u...though i havnt watched the show, ur review touched me...
May be the show is the change in demand..

it has a different story... hoping against hope that ekta will stay true to the original story and not mess up

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanthya on 2013-12-09, 16:38

I am absly positive tht the show is nowhere as good as your writing

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 16:51

Tanthya wrote:

Twisted Evil  No, It is not! Even if I do say so myself
 :*lol*: 
but efforts must be appreciated
at least they refrained from grandiose sets and outlandish costumes
and are sticking to reality

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanthya on 2013-12-09, 16:54

sonshine487 wrote:
Tanthya wrote:

Thats a big relief, Low key n Ekta have never gone hand in hand , lets see how far she walks the straight path

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 16:57

Tanthya wrote:
sonshine487 wrote:
Tanthya wrote:

Thats a big relief, Low key n Ekta have never gone hand in hand , lets see how far she walks the straight path

as long as the trp's are good
the minute she feels audience won't like it, she will ruin it and star will cheer her on
even now... she has deviated from the book... here Ishita is unmarried and a virgin...

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanthya on 2013-12-09, 17:00

sonshine487 wrote:
Tanthya wrote:
sonshine487 wrote:
Tanthya wrote:

as long as the trp's are good
the minute she feels audience won't like it, she will ruin it and star will cheer her on
even now... she has deviated from the book... here Ishita is unmarried and a virgin...

Ekta pointedly did mention that it would be 'broadly' based on the book and not a strict adaptation .. looking frm her POV, regular viewer's would have trouble accepting a divorcee achiever remarrying again * would have no qualms had the FL been the Adarsh naari type *

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 17:09

yes... the adarsh FL must be pack piece...
but too stupid...
how can you say for sure that a virgin is infertile... it is not until she has a reason to investigate specifically that infertility can be determined!
why would an unmarried girl go for such tests
and that abdominal TB excuse was just that... excuse
but it will suffice for a TV show

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2013-12-09, 18:42

nice post Apps...the show has a lot to do..I can't believe this is the only way they could show differences between the two mothers... it is loud, grating, and annoying...the first scene where Ishita and Ruhi met made me laugh wen she remembered her mother's words about loving someone...love with a difference... i do feel sorry for ishita yes she can't have children but really is that any reason for it to b bought up again and again by anyone and everyone?? has no one heard of compassion? decency? empathy? y does it constantly need to b thrown in her face? I liked her relationship with her brother in law.. also Ruhi, does her father want to avoid her because of his wife's infidelity? If that's the case how come she doesn't stay with the mother? doesn't she want her??

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by A.N.Jell_Zarina on 2013-12-09, 19:02

sonshine487 wrote:yes... the adarsh FL must be pack piece...
but too stupid...
how can you say for sure that a virgin is infertile... it is not until she has a reason to investigate specifically that infertility can be determined!

i have known few women wth no mensuration cycle yet...that can b the reason, a virgin knws infertility

A.N.Jell_Zarina
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by slmu on 2013-12-09, 19:05

Nice post Appu.

The start has been decent enough.

Like you I find Ishita's mother's accent too much. The father is I think really a south Indian so comes across better. And yes the constant underlining of the differences between the two mothers should be toned down a bit.

Ishita and Ruhi scenes were nice and I am looking forward to more and I am also looking forward to the meeting of the protagonists. From the precap looked like Raman has issues with what Ruhi looks like.

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 19:41

sarra0 wrote:nice post Apps...the show has a lot to do..I can't believe this is the only way they could show differences between the two mothers... it is loud, grating, and annoying...the first scene where Ishita and Ruhi met made me laugh wen she remembered her mother's words about loving someone...love with a difference... i do feel sorry for ishita yes she can't have children but really is that any reason for it to b bought up again and again by anyone and everyone??
unfortunately, in India... getting married, pregnant and attaining motherhood is the be all and end all of most girl's existence. yes, times are changing in the Urban world... but majority of Indians are still bound to commonplace, conformist mentality... PITY!
has no one heard of compassion? decency? empathy? y does it constantly need to b thrown in her face? I liked her relationship with her brother in law.. also Ruhi, does her father want to avoid her because of his wife's infidelity? If that's the case how come she doesn't stay with the mother? doesn't she want her??
interesting question... we will have to wait and see... also depends on Ruhi's mother and the reason for the split

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 19:44

Aasudi wrote:
sonshine487 wrote:yes... the adarsh FL must be pack piece...
but too stupid...

i have known few women wth no mensuration cycle yet...that can b the reason, a virgin knws infertility
need not be... it can be due to something as simple as an imperforate hymen!!!  :lol!: 
on a serious note... I was wondering about the need for such an in depth investigation at the time...
it was indeed a ploy by the PH to keep the FL a virgin and untouched
but then again, it is only a show

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-09, 19:46

slmu wrote:Nice post Appu.

The start has been decent enough.

Like you I find Ishita's mother's accent too much. The father is I think really a south Indian so comes across better. And yes the constant underlining of the differences between the two mothers should be toned down a bit.

Ishita and Ruhi scenes were nice and I am looking forward to more and I am also looking forward to the meeting of the protagonists. From the precap looked like Raman has issues with what Ruhi looks like.

Hugs! Shanthi
my thoughts exactly!

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2013-12-10, 04:55

sonshine487 wrote:
sarra0 wrote:nice post Apps...the show has a lot to do..I can't believe this is the only way they could show differences between the two mothers... it is loud, grating, and annoying...the first scene where Ishita and Ruhi met made me laugh wen she remembered her mother's words about loving someone...love with a difference... i do feel sorry for ishita yes she can't have children but really is that any reason for it to b bought up again and again by anyone and everyone??
unfortunately, in India... getting married, pregnant and attaining motherhood is the be all and end all of most girl's existence. yes, times are changing in the Urban world... but majority of Indians are still bound to commonplace, conformist mentality... PITY!
has no one heard of compassion? decency? empathy? y does it constantly need to b thrown in her face? I liked her relationship with her brother in law.. also Ruhi, does her father want to avoid her because of his wife's infidelity? If that's the case how come she doesn't stay with the mother? doesn't she want her??
interesting question... we will have to wait and see... also depends on Ruhi's mother and the reason for the split

i can understand that for someone who can have children, for someone who isn't seen as having any abnormalities, or deficiencies but wen it is not the persons fault, they had no say in their condition, nor is it there fault that society considers them lacking, then why taunt...it is a sad state of reality...

i thought u may have read the novel and could give me the cheat answers lol.... split between husband and wife, or mother and daughter? The precap from Friday he seemed happy to c his daughter and then it was like he remembered, so wonder if she reminds him of his wife...i am looking forward to Ishita and his first interaction, i have forgotten his name oops...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2013-12-10, 09:48

Appu  cheers 

I really loved your post. I did catch the second episode and as you said Ishitha's mother 's accent was really annoying. We southies as you put did do not talk woth such an exagerated accent. We do talk much better Hindi without an accent.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-10, 13:18

sarra0 wrote:
sonshine487 wrote:

i can understand that for someone who can have children, for someone who isn't seen as having any abnormalities, or deficiencies but wen it is not the persons fault, they had no say in their condition, nor is it there fault that society considers them lacking, then why taunt...it is a sad state of reality...
they taunt, they make fun... human failings, yaar! sometimes they do it to camouflage their own shortcomings... which is even sicker!

i thought u may have read the novel and could give me the cheat answers lol.... split between husband and wife, or mother and daughter? The precap from Friday he seemed happy to c his daughter and then it was like he remembered, so wonder if she reminds him of his wife...i am looking forward to Ishita and his first interaction, i have forgotten his name oops...
novel starts with Raman-Shagun's breaking marriage... she has an affair with Raman's boss. Raman later gets close to Ishita, who is a divorcee. her husband ditched her bec she is infertile. Ishita gets close to Raman's daughter Ruhi... Raman has two kids from his first marriage. Then the custody battle following divorce starts... Shagun wants the Kids... but Ishita succeeds in convincing the judges and Ruhi too is attached to Ishita

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-10, 13:20

anurao66 wrote:Appu  cheers 

I really loved your post. I did catch the second episode and as you said Ishitha's mother 's accent was really annoying. We southies as you put did do not talk woth such an exagerated accent. We do talk much better Hindi without an accent.

Thanks, Anu!  hug1 
yep... that accent was fake and highly annoying

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-12-10, 13:41

I havent started watching this show yet Appu, but your write up is very tempting!

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2013-12-10, 13:53

Abavi wrote:I havent started watching this show yet Appu, but your write up is very tempting!

the story is fresh re... u just have to turn a blind eye to the fine-tuning

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 15:38

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum