Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 123-126: Reductio ad absurdum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 123-126: Reductio ad absurdum

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-11, 16:03

11/12/13
Folks,
For those of you who might have noticed my absence, it was not entirely because I went into a depression because of the bizarre goings on of late on TV at 8 pm. I am by now hardened to the ways  of  the CVs and nothing surprises me any more. I would not bat an eyelid even if Jalal was to actually turn into the headless chicken he strongly resembles of late, or if Jodha were to walk on water, which, I am convinced, she can, going by her consistent track record in the miracles department.
The explanation was far more mundane.  I was, and in fact still am, considerably  under the weather with a very bad bout of viral fever, compounded by assorted ancillary ailments. I would never have attempted this one but for 2 things.
One, young Sandhya' s vehement and decidedly un-Gandhian request  that I should come back and "bash Jalal". Which, incidentally,  she then proceeded to do herself,  so strongly and competently, stoutly refuting any and all counter suggestions, that she  has left me nothing to say that would add anything to the debate. But just to please  her, I will try my hand at analysing Jalal this last week. This post will thus be mostly about him.
And the second, that I simply could not pass up the chance to send out a post dated 11/12/13, something that will not recur for another century. Add to that the fact that it also happens to be my birthday, which I  often forget. But not this time, for this is truly  a date to remember!
Now to business, and as my head feels like it wants to come apart, this will be blessedly short.
Jalal: Sandhya my dear, there is no point in bashing Jalal. This Jalal, that is. What we hav to do immediately is to register a fraud-cum-missing person report with the daroga in charge of Agra. Our Jalal has gone mysteriously missing, and has been replaced surreptitiously by a doppelganger (double) who looks like him, right down to the gelled hair, but that is about it. Everything else has been screwed up beyond belief.
This Jalal is such a far cry from the subtle and magisterially devious Shahenshah who ran rings round the Rat King in Amer only a month back that one does not know where to start in listing out his failings. Or even the one who, after consulting Salima Begum, went on to solve the false pregnancy case swiftly and effectively, even if a tad melodramatically.
This one, first of all, seems to have made such a fetish of admiring his Jodha Begum's brainwaves, unconditionally and uncritically, that one wonders what has happened  to his brains. In that stagy scene with the drought stricken villagers - who are so close to Agra that the imperial couple can trudge their way to them  on foot, and yet so far that they cannot elbow past petty thieves and adulterous spouses into the Diwan-e-Aam -  Jalal behaved as if this case was a revelation from on high, with Jodha Begum as the lightning conductor. It said very little for his commonsense.
Later, when the awaam turned up in incredibly large numbers to thank him for the well,   he was so effusively grateful to Jodha Begum for having introduced him to his people that one was sure he was a changeling. For this was the same man who had, just  a few days ago, spoken from his heart, with rare and compelling eloquence, to the same awaam about the bond between him and them, calling them his janasheen and his aulad.
Well, one should be thankful for small mercies, for he seemed to be so  moved that he might well have taken a pickaxe  and tried to dig the well himself!
His praise of Ruqaiya's birthday gift to him,  in the open court,  and then, after the balcony appearance, of  Jodha's  gift trumping that one, was both ill-advised and unnecessary. Also unbecoming in a monarch whose dignity should automatically rule out such gushing, and this in either case.
I have nothing against his traipsing to Jodha Begum's rooms in the middle of the night to voice his profound gratitude to her all over again, for all that her first instinctive move is to look at him as though he is about to make unwelcome advances to her. Nor against his mooning about, literally, and sighing at the silvery orb while clutching his cardiac region as if a heart attack was on the way (apologies to the romantics who adored that scene, but I am "like this only"!). There has to be a Jalal-Jodha romance (though God, or rather Ekta alone knows when), so even I cannot object to such mushy stuff.
I did not like it when this Jalal received Ruqaiya's advice about the subedarial appointments - which was based on the most elementary principles of divide and rule, and of  trust no one - as if it would have never occurred to him on his own. Why, these precepts  must have featured promptly   in his Khan  Baba's Siyasat 101 course  for a very young Shahenshah! The real Jalal would never have forgotten them, but this one looks so blank that one's heart sinks.
However, what made me acute register dismay, if not worse, was when this Jalal lets Adham Khan, who is no Chanakya,  con him into a trap of Jalal's  own making. Probably Jodha Begum's mahaanta complex is contagious, for nothing else can explain Jalal's rash move to renounce his imperial status above the law. He wants to seem to be extra noble, extra fair, and he ends up, predictably, in the suds.
Even then, the "no retrospective application of any law"  is such an elementary principle  of any jurisprudence that I fully expected Jalal to grab it at once.
But no, he seemed to have been dropped on his head, for he promptly announces that he will dissolve his longstanding marriage with his childhood playmate for absolutely no fault of hers, solely so that he can look good to the awaam,  as the 16th century avatar of the Maryada Purushottam.
In fact, this sequence was so strongly reminiscent of Lord Rama banishing an expectant Sita to the forest because of the dhobi's comment about her (which will, for me,  forever be a dark spot on his character) that I was looking for some reference to it by an bystander.But then I realized that Ekta would never risk an assuredly incendiary reaction from the  present day awaam to any such parallel being drawn!
I have nothing to say about Jalal then letting Ruqaiya weep buckets all over him (one presumes that his costumes are not dry clean only'), though his acutely  lachrymose countenance in all these scenes  made me want to clobber him,  if only  to  try and shake his frozen gray cells loose. He seemed so totally clueless,  so resigned to having the closest relationship of his life destroyed due to his own folly, that one was left speechless. How could this be the same Jalal we had admired so often in the past?
Well, one could say that this divorce is a private matter, that affects only the two of them, and probably Ruqaiya  far more than Jalal, who can easily compensate by mooning still more over his Jodha Begum.
But what does one make of his  incomprehensible fiat that all marriages of underage girls in the 12/13 years since he married Ruqaiya should also be mandatorily dissolved? What did  Jalal think - that his divorcing his empress was going to make the awaam accept this fiat, that would affect hundreds of thousands of young women and rip apart their families and harm their children,  without protest?  This is incomprehension and folly on such a grand scale that one does not know what to make of it.
Nor does one know what to make of a clueless Jalal, who is shown sharpening a  blade when he should have been trying to sharpen his brains, clutching at Jodha Begum's equally incomprehensible proposal like a drowning man clutching at  a straw.
Her proposal hardly makes any sense. What does she mean - that by exposing Adham Khan's role in precipitating the Jalal-Ruqaiya divorce, Jalal can reverse the awaam's rage against the new law that mandates all these talaqs retroactively? How? And why? They will be satisfied only if the retrospective application of the law is reversed, and it is implemented only from now on.
And if, as Ruqaiya asserts in her speech to the ever-ready-to-be-assembled awaam, Jalal is divorcing her to set a compelling example of non-tolerance of underage marriages, how will accusing Adham Khan, or even (as Jalal says in the precap) delivering him up to mob fury, change the above logic and the consequent need for the divorce to go through? It is all absurd and illogical.
I wish that stone had found Jalal's head instead of Mahaam's. Maybe he might, just might, have actually started using the grey cells which would  have been activised by the shock. As it is, it is only his knee jerk loyalty to his  Badiammi that resurfaces in full strength. So much for those who were hoping that he was becoming  wiser about her and even a tad wary of her!
So we come back to my title: Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to absurdity"). Could any title be more appropriate for the last week and more?
As for Jodha, Ruqaiya, and the rest, I leave them to your care. My head will take no more punishment!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 123-126: Reductio ad absurdum

Post by pollyanna on 2013-12-11, 16:43

Wish u avery happy birthday Aunty, have a wonderful year ahead!! Stay blessed!!!

Missed u loads and thanks to Ekta's Jallu , at least something good came out of it:--UR POST :)

@post: loved reading u after such a long time.....and have ranted already in Sandhya's thread ....i guess...am not too furious as I have not been a regular watcher of JA for the past few weeks.....so my patience n tolerance level is building up Wink

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2013-12-11, 17:23

Shyamala

Wish you a very happy Birthday and hope you have a great day and recovered from your flu. I am Anu by the way an old regular of this forum. Your post was fantastic and loved reading you. I really hope the CVs dont tamper with history and show it as it is for we know what to expect.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by neha on 2013-12-11, 17:51

Loved your post aunty!! Marvelous as usual   :)  :) . Even I am tired of bashing him now. I think the Ameries have done some kaala jaadu on him  :*lol*: so that he will listen only and only to their laado. Ever since he is back to Agra from his sasural he has lost his brain and is not in his senses. Even your doppelganger possibility can't be denied and I am sure Ameri's are behind it  :P  :P

neha
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by neha on 2013-12-11, 17:52

And a very happy birthday to you !!  :)  :)

neha
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sandhya on 2013-12-11, 18:47

Thank You once again, from here as well, aunty.

Wish you a very happy birthday once more and wish you a speedy recovery.

Your posts are the perfect delicious desserts at the end of each episode. But now as the main meals get more and more insipid day by day, the yearn for the dessert that gets tastier day by day, only increases.

Of late, Jalal who is the crown of the show in all senses is being twisted so much that he hardly resembles the Jalal we all loved, the Jalal who hooked us on to the show, the Jalal who was adorable even when wicked. But now he looks like a brainless saint.

I just feel  like shaking him from this stupor. Hence my request to you to bash him as well. I felt flattered by your response. Your words lighten up any despondency.

As you've said we should file  a missing complaint at the Agra police station rather than hammer him.  This Jalal is certainly not OUR Jalal.

THIS Jalal's recent gallantry to bind himself within law and order talaaq for Ruqaiya and innumerable girls across the state was worthy of a sergius saranoff. He can only salvage himself if the opposition's ammunition gets wet.

First he did a Rukmini at Tula Dan.
Now he is made to do a Ram.
Wonder which deity is next on the list.

So this show is now about Mahaan Jodha Begum changing him from Insaan to Bhagwaan.( as it is my belief as i said earlier that it was mohan who changed him from haivaan to insaan)

Please get well soon Aunty. We always await your desserts with impatience.

Last edited by sandhya on 2013-12-11, 20:10; edited 1 time in total

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sandhya on 2013-12-11, 18:50

neha wrote:Loved your post aunty!! Marvelous as usual   :)  :) . Even I am tired of bashing him now. I think the Ameries have done some kaala jaadu on him  :*lol*: so that he will listen only and only to their laado. Ever since he is back to Agra from his sasural he has lost his brain and is not in his senses. Even your doppelganger possibility can't be denied and I am sure Ameri's are behind it  :P  :P
Shaguni Bhai's work?????    confused

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by neha on 2013-12-11, 20:08

sandhya wrote:
neha wrote:Loved your post aunty!! Marvelous as usual   :)  :) . Even I am tired of bashing him now. I think the Ameries have done some kaala jaadu on him  :*lol*: so that he will listen only and only to their laado. Ever since he is back to Agra from his sasural he has lost his brain and is not in his senses. Even your doppelganger possibility can't be denied and I am sure Ameri's are behind it  :P  :P
Shaguni Bhai's work?????    confused

Hmm...Possible...She must have done that Om Whrim Cream on Jalal  ROFL 

neha
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-12-12, 09:31

Thanks for this awesome post Shyamala ....

I laughed a lot while reading it and also all the comments in this thread 

Happy birthday to you dear Shyamala 

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by Manasvi on 2013-12-12, 09:35

Hello Shyamala, Wushing you a very Happy Birthday. May you keep enthralling us with your very interesting comments

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Abavi on 2013-12-12, 10:17

Shyamala Ji, Happy birthday.

I sincerely thought Jalal actually had a PLAN.
But he seems to have none and had to depend on Jo Begam to give him that stupid plan.

It would have been much better, if they showed the Awaam coming to him, asking him to cancel this law, and he saying that he had no intention of passing this law, but was planning to teach a lesson to his milk brother on why he wanted to implement this law only for all the future marraiges.

Matter over. But the way the things are going now, I was infact tryong hard to comprehend and find the cleverness in the solution.

Thanks to this wonderful post, which helped me with assurance that I was infact searching for something which wasnt existant. I can stop thinking about it.

Abavi
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria J on 2013-12-12, 17:52

Loved reading u Shyamalaji. Apt title too

Many Many Happy Returns of the Day..

Maria J

Back to top Go down

Post by sandhya on 2013-12-13, 01:40

Abavi wrote:Shyamala Ji, Happy birthday.

But he seems to have none and had to depend on Jo Begam to give him that stupid plan.

It would have been much better, if they showed the Awaam coming to him, asking him to cancel this law, and he saying that he had no intention of passing this law, but was planning to teach a lesson to his milk brother on why he wanted to implement this law only for all the future marraiges.

Matter over. But the way the things are going now, I was infact tryong hard to comprehend and find the  cleverness in the solution.

Thanks to this wonderful post, which helped me with assurance that I was infact searching for something which wasnt existant. I can stop thinking about it.

Jo's cleverness here and in ratanpur qila issue is very mysterious. Not visible to the normal eye. Not understandable by the normal brain.
Even more mysterious than the origins of the famous curious vachan.
Even more mysterious than jalal's brainless ness.

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2013-12-13, 15:30

Wish you a very Happy Birthday!

Wonderful post..I couldnt but shake my head ina *yes* for every sentence.

Jalal has lost his brains..It was unbelievable that he didnt have any back up plans when he announced the talaq ...how stupid of that...each and every thing Jalal does has to be credited to Jodha ..typical ekta heroines

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 13:46

Thank you so very much, my dear, and I never had such a scrumptious looking cake ever!Shyamala--sumana13-- wrote:Thanks for this awesome post Shyamala ....

I laughed a lot while reading it and also all the comments in this thread 

Happy birthday to you dear Shyamala 

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 13:48

Thank you so very much, my dear Pallavi. All I want from 2014 is to stay healthy!Shyamala Auntypollyanna wrote:Wish u avery happy birthday Aunty, have a wonderful year ahead!! Stay blessed!!!

Missed u loads and thanks to Ekta's Jallu , at least something good came out of it:--UR POST :)

@post: loved reading u after such a long time.....and have ranted already in Sandhya's thread ....i guess...am not too furious as I have not been a regular watcher of JA for the past few weeks.....so my patience n tolerance level is building up Wink

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 13:50

Thank you so much, my dear Anu, both for the birthday wishes and for liking my posts. I hafe done 2 more that you might have seen here. I am still getting out of the flu and hoping there is no relapse!Shyamala anurao66 wrote:Shyamala

Wish you a very happy Birthday and hope you have a great day and recovered from your flu. I am Anu by the way an old regular of this forum. Your post was fantastic and loved reading you. I really hope the CVs dont tamper with history and show it as it is for we know what to expect.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 13:51

Thank you  so much , my dear Neha! Shyamala Auntyneha wrote:And a very happy birthday to you !!  :)  :)

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 13:53

My dear Sandhya,Thank you very much, my dear, and I do like the idea of being  dessert!The bit about all the deities Jalal resembles from time  to time is side-splitting!Shyamala Auntysandhya wrote:Thank You once again, from here as well, aunty.

Wish you a very happy birthday once more and wish you a speedy recovery.

Your posts are the perfect delicious desserts at the end of each episode. But now as the main meals get more and more insipid day by day, the yearn for the dessert that gets tastier day by day, only increases.

Of late, Jalal who is the crown of the show in all senses is being twisted so much that he hardly resembles the Jalal we all loved, the Jalal who hooked us on to the show, the Jalal who was adorable even when wicked. But now he looks like a brainless saint.

I just feel  like shaking him from this stupor. Hence my request to you to bash him as well. I felt flattered by your response. Your words lighten up any despondency.

As you've said we should file  a missing complaint at the Agra police station rather than hammer him.  This Jalal is certainly not OUR Jalal.

THIS Jalal's recent gallantry to bind himself within law and order talaaq for Ruqaiya and innumerable girls across the state was worthy of a sergius saranoff. He can only salvage himself if the opposition's ammunition gets wet.

First he did a Rukmini at Tula Dan.
Now he is made to do a Ram.
Wonder which deity is next on the list.

So this show is now about Mahaan Jodha Begum changing him from Insaan to Bhagwaan.( as it is my belief as i said earlier that it was mohan who changed him from haivaan to insaan)

Please get well soon Aunty. We always await your desserts with impatience.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 14:03

My dear Manasvi,Thank you so much, and I do hope that will advancing age, my wisdom quotient is also going up, though I am none too hopeful about that!ShyamalaManasvi wrote:Hello Shyamala,  Wushing you a very Happy Birthday. May you keep enthralling us with your very interesting comments

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 14:05

Thank you so much, my dear Abavi, and I am sorry this message has been delayed.And as for your frustration in hunting for  logic in this story, I am glad to have been of help!Shyamala B.CowsikAbavi wrote:Shyamala Ji, Happy birthday.

Matter over. But the way the things are going now, I was infact tryong hard to comprehend and find the  cleverness in the solution.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 14:07

Thank you so much, my dear Maria. I hope that  along with gaining in age,  I am also gaining in wisdom!Shyamala B.CowsikMaria J wrote:Loved reading u Shyamalaji. Apt title too

Many Many Happy Returns of the Day..

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 14:09

Thank you so very much, my dear Zuzana, both for the birthday wishes and for liking this11/12/13 post so much!Shyamala B.Cowsikzuzana wrote:Wish you a very Happy Birthday!

Wonderful post..I couldnt but shake my head ina *yes* for every sentence.

Jalal has lost his brains..It was unbelievable that he didnt have any back up plans when he announced the talaq ...how stupid of that...each and every thing Jalal does has to  be credited to Jodha ..typical ekta heroines

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by megharanjini on 2013-12-21, 10:28

Loved reading this Shymala

megharanjini
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down