Latest topics

Why Salim Khan was angry with Amitabh Bachchan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why Salim Khan was angry with Amitabh Bachchan

Post by Tinkerbell on 2013-12-15, 14:39

Bollywood's famous scriptwriter duo Salim Khan and Javed Akhtar though finally buried the hatchet yet their split remained a mystery unsolved. Together the talented duo scripted some of Bollywood's biggest success stories—Sholay (1975), Don (1978), Deewar (1975) and Trishul (1978) before the end of their association. Mr India (1987) was their last film together.

There were many reasons and rumours hovered over their parting ways but according to Anita Padhye's book 'Yahi Rang Yahi Roop', it all started when they approached megastar Amitabh Bachchan for Mr India, who due to some reasons declined the offer.

Javed Akhtar was not happy with Big B's decision and apparently vowed never to work with the star anymore. However, Slim Khan didn't approve his emotion and asked him to let it go. However, a few days later, Javed went to Amitabh's house to celebrate Holi and apparently told Big B that Salim didn't want to work with him. When Salim came to know about being falsely accused, an argument broke out between the two. This was the beginning of the split.

Elaborating more in an interview Salim Khan stated that Javed wanted to use this partnership to start writing lyrics too. "I hadn't consented to the use of my name for something that I had no interest in and knew nothing about. I told him to constrict the partnership to script-writing, while he could write lyrics on his own," explained Salim Khan.

"We were in Javed's building one evening when Javed told me he wanted to split... that he'd been thinking about it for some time now. I shook hands with him and started walking towards my car. He also started to walk with me, but I held him, turned him towards his house and said, 'I can look after myself.' I came back home and didn't tell anyone about it. The next evening, calls started coming in, asking about the split. It was only after a few days that I announced the split."

According to the book, after their split was made public Amitabh Bachchan announced that he would continue to work with Javed Akhtar. Salim Khan was left out in the cold. He went without work for almost four years. Even Big B and Salim Khan never came face to face till Akela (1991).

Speaking about Amitabh Bachchan, Salim Khan said that the 'Angry Young Man' image that has defined Bachchan's persona is solely his creation. "The image was conceptualized by me for the film Zanjeer. Javed wasn't even my partner when I wrote the film. It was only after I had sold it, that Javed became my partner," clarified Salim Khan, and added almost as an afterthought, "And I believe even Javed sa'ab would confirm that it was solely my creation."

The ace scriptwriter felt that the Big B didn't quite acknowledge his role in shaping up the superstar's career. "If Amitabh doesn't remember, I'd like to remind him that his 2 successful associations, with Manmohan Desai and Prakash Mehra, were because of me. I'd called Amitabh to Juhu Hotel and introduced him to Manmohan Desai, while we were there to discuss the script of Chacha Bhatija. "Prakash Mehra was shooting at Rajkamal for Pyar Ki Kahani. I'd called Amitabh to the sets and introduced him to Prakash Mehra," stated Salim Khan.

Though later in an interview Amitabh Bachchan acknowledged it saying, "I have never ever failed to acknowledge this fact. I am extremely sorry if Salim saheb has felt otherwise. I wish to apologise to him and tell him that there has obviously been a miscommunication and that he should never feel that I have thought otherwise. He has been a respected senior for me and shall always remain one."

Years after Apoorva Lakhia's Zanjeer remake happened and this helped both scriptwriters to reunite and claiming copyright and demanding compensation. The duo refused to give up the fight until a "financial settlement" was reached for an undisclosed amount.

On November 7, 2013, happily visible Salim-Javed together launched the trailer of 'Sholay 3D' in Mumbai. Salim Khan even reasoned that anything can be sorted out sitting across the table. "We are more mature now and can look beyond petty issues. There is no block between Javed and me today. We have a few ideas, but they are still half-baked. If we can pen a script together, I don't think there will be any dearth of producers."

*TNN

Tinkerbell
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum