Latest topics

Annoying ??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Annoying ??

Post by anusha.cochin on 2013-12-15, 23:14

Show is doing good

but the mocking of Southies s annoying me sumtimes...cv's seems 2 have zero knowledge in South culture...Y they r stereotyped in a comical way always?
Y Ishitha's mom speaks like a comedian.... Shocked  I knw many Tamil ladies who speak excellent English and Hindi with a good accent

Ishita is not a common Tamil name...still its ok

But the Tamil accent and dressing is not that ok....Y do Ishitha's dad wear a second veshti n shoulder always....Do cv's thnk all Tamilians dress like that?

cant blame the actors as they myt not be knowing much abt South culture....but cv's shud have paid more attention n this

anusha.cochin
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 2639
Join date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by Manasvi on 2013-12-16, 01:03

Amma's acting is a bit over the top. Mrs. Bhalla also speaks with a very heavy Punjabi accent but it is the real Punjabi accent and goes with the mood of the show. Mrs.Iyer's accent is fake and hence seems to pinch a raw nerve amongst the Tamil speaking community.

The story line is great and so is the chemistry between the leads. It will be a great show if the CV's pay some attention to the Iyers and the Amma's accent and over enthusiasm to get her daughter hitched.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Posts : 331
Join date : 2013-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by Shesherkobita on 2013-12-16, 03:20

I have often wondered WHY southerns are always chosen as comic relief! Thanks for making that post... When I went to study aboard in Global Health class we were taught that Southern India has the highest level of education and the best health indicators in the WORLD, they are one of the world's smartest population. That always stuck with me... When I watch Hindi movies where southerns are invariably chosen as comic relief ... I dont get it... scratch oh well... For us, rest of the world ... No one can touch the southern Indians in smartness!

Shesherkobita
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 6421
Join date : 2013-02-13
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by sarra0 on 2013-12-16, 05:34

I find at times the acting of both mothers at times over the top, but for someone like me who doesn't know wat the accents r meant to b like, or how southies r, i just assumed it was done for the show and not cause they resemble the reality...just like most other shows where these take a back seat..

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 11312
Join date : 2013-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by Shesherkobita on 2013-12-16, 07:12

Hai Anusha ... I didn't see this serial from the beginning... Is Raman divorced or widower? what happened to ishita? Why did she get divorced? Thanks ...

@ manasvi.. I got interested in this serial after I saw your post... This will be good for next three months.... Most serials become unwatchable and predictable after three or four months... Thanks for the referral.

Shesherkobita
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 6421
Join date : 2013-02-13
Location : Pennsylvania, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by Manasvi on 2013-12-16, 08:09

Thanks Shesherkobita. Yes this is a good one. i watch only 2.. Jodha Akbar and this one...love both..

This is loosely based on the book 'Custody' by Manju Kapur. In the novel, Ishita is divorced due to her inability to conceive. In the serial, she is single not being able to find a life partner due to her inability to conceive. Raman is the CEO of a company, single father and divorced from his wife who per the book left him after having an affair with his boss. Raman's wife is very much alive and per the book they have a son too who is in boarding.

I love the chemistry between the leads.. Divyanka sometimes talks like a child but is very sweet. Love Karan Patel and his mannerisms. He is handsome. This is his first show that I am watching. I have seen Divyanka earlier in Banoo main teri dulhan. I am loving Karan as much as I am loving Rajat Tokas. Moreover, this being a very urban story of the 90's, it is very relatable.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Posts : 331
Join date : 2013-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by anusha.cochin on 2013-12-16, 09:08

Shesherkobita wrote:Hai Anusha ... I didn't see this serial from the beginning... Is Raman divorced or widower? what happened to ishita? Why did she get divorced? Thanks ...

@ manasvi.. I got interested in this serial after I saw your post... This will be good for next three months.... Most serials become unwatchable and predictable after  three or four months... Thanks for the referral.

Started watching frm last day only.....Manasvi has explained the plot :) 

Gonna try this show for 3 months

anusha.cochin
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 2639
Join date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by anusha.cochin on 2013-12-16, 09:15

Shesherkobita wrote:I have often wondered WHY southerns are always chosen as comic relief! Thanks for making that post... When I went to study aboard in Global Health class we were taught that Southern India has the highest level of education and the best health indicators in the WORLD, they are one of the world's smartest population. That always stuck with me... When I watch Hindi movies where southerns are invariably chosen as comic relief ... I dont get it... scratch oh well... For us, rest of the world ... No one can touch the southern Indians in smartness!

Kerala is first in literacy n whole India..but usually Northies has a concept that all Southies has the same culture and same dress culture....but there is vast difference .

cv's also nt diff...they r gng in the same cliched way ......making fun of Tamil people.....There is no particular pattern of dress for tamilians.....Silk sarees and Veshti were common but nowadays allmost all dress upto current trends only....here only Ishita is normal n the case of dressing and hindi accent

anusha.cochin
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 2639
Join date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by anurao66 on 2013-12-16, 09:47

Anu
I totally agree with you and had commented in another thread about it. We southies speak English and Hindi very fluently without an accent. Her mother cant call Ishitha properly which is just too much. 
I really have no idea why Tamilins are made fun of all the time in movies

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 9171
Join date : 2013-02-04
Age : 50
Location : Chennai

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by poornima on 2013-12-16, 10:19

agreeing with you guys.when i watched the show i felt the same.i live in tamilnadu and i swear i can speak better hindi than her.Mrs.Iyer's accent is terrible.i think the cv's are inspired by deepika's accent in 'chennai express'.and the next funny thing is that they think tamilians always wear veshti and smear their forehead with holy-ash(thiruneeru or vibhoothi) always.maybe think, only then viewers will think that they are tamils!?!

poornima
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 8
Join date : 2013-12-16
Age : 22
Location : tamilnadu,India

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by anusha.cochin on 2013-12-16, 11:32

anurao66 wrote:Anu
I totally agree with you and had commented in another thread about it. We southies speak English and Hindi very fluently without an accent. Her mother cant call Ishitha properly which is just too much. 
I really have no idea why Tamilins are made fun of all the time in movies

My aunt s settled on Mumbai for last 20years...she even didnt knw a single hindi word...But now she speak good hindi without any south accent. Ishitas parents r living there 4 a long time...then y does her mom speaks hindi with a weird Slang.....

anusha.cochin
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 2639
Join date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by anusha.cochin on 2013-12-16, 11:34

poornima wrote:agreeing with you guys.when i watched the show i felt the same.i live in tamilnadu and i swear i can speak better hindi than her.Mrs.Iyer's accent is terrible.i think the cv's are inspired by deepika's accent in 'chennai express'.and the next funny thing is that they think tamilians always wear veshti and smear their forehead with holy-ash(thiruneeru or vibhoothi) always.maybe think, only then viewers will think that they are tamils!?!

Exactly....nowadays which South Indians wear veshti always Shocked 

anusha.cochin
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 2639
Join date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by slmu on 2013-12-16, 11:51

Agree with you Anu. Having grown up in Mumbai, I kind of understand the mind set that the CVs have.. they are going by the belief that North Indians have that every South Indian is a Madrasi who speaks with a heavy accent and eats only idlis and dosais  Rolling Eyes 

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Posts : 21953
Join date : 2013-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by anusha.cochin on 2013-12-16, 12:15

slmu wrote:Agree with you Anu. Having grown up in Mumbai, I kind of understand the mind set that the CVs have.. they are going by the belief that North Indians have that every South Indian is a Madrasi who speaks with a heavy accent and eats only idlis and dosais  Rolling Eyes 

and South films are masala stunt movies only...thats another misconcept

anusha.cochin
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 2639
Join date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by anurao66 on 2013-12-16, 12:17

Anu

That is truly a misconcept for now a lot of Telugu and Tamil movies are reamde into Hindi.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Posts : 9171
Join date : 2013-02-04
Age : 50
Location : Chennai

Back to top Go down

Re: Annoying ??

Post by Sponsored content Today at 03:20


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum