Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 131: Heartbreak ++

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 131: Heartbreak ++

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-18, 15:14

Folks,
This is one of those times when I am not happy to have been correct in a prediction.
 It was not at 8  pm last night, but around 8:10. Jodha is trying to free herself from an amorous Jalal, who is convinced that her demurring and denials are part  of her  being ladylike. Like the old chestnut: If a lady says no, she means maybe, if she says maybe, she means yes, and if she says yes, she is no lady!
She shoves him (and don't kid yourselves that she did not. She caught him neatly on the left shoulder, with  a good bit of vim,and why not? I would have done the same in her place, for she has no idea where he is coming from).  Since  he is not expecting it, he loses his balance and falls to the ground, as an appalled Jodha looks on helplessly.
Jalal has thus been rejected, and repelled, both emotionally and physically, and then he is an emperor. An alpha male Shahenshah brought down to the floor by a  woman who, he believes, led him on deliberately,  and then turned around and spurned him after he had bared his innermost feelings to her.
Tears of rage, hurt and humiliation make his eyes brim over, and as a distressed Jodha tries to explain what she feels for him and what she does not feel, he squeezes them shut and his face contorts in mute agony.
There might not have been the tinkle of breaking glass, but Jalauddin Mohammed's heart is indeed broken.
Jalal: I had written yesterday, anticipating just this, about the vertiginous fall that awaited Jalal. "For the higher his heart soared today in imaginary bliss, the  greater the depth of the hurt and the heartbreak that will follow, as surely as the night follows the day. ... This is  a vulnerable Jalal, bewildered by hitherto unfamiliar emotions, by a tug at his heartstrings that he has never known before. ...Tomorrow is going to be terrible for this Jalal, aur uske bare mein soch kar hi dil ghabrata hai."
As it all came true today, my heart bled for him in his rage and his bitter grief.
Not the L word!:  I was right about something else, and this time I was very glad of it. I wrote, again and again,  all thru yesterday that what Jalal felt for Jodha was not just desire (I HATE  the L word) , or even primarily that. It was more subtle, more complex. It was in part the inexplicable pull of fate that drew him into that dangerous trip to Amer just to catch a glimpse of her, and  in part, as time went by,  a deep felt need for her to care for him, to care for what happens to him.
Love is a matter of individual definition, but the essence of it is caring,  and a longing for the other. Jalal's feelings for Jodha meet this test, and he proved it beyond doubt last night. And the L word was banished to the dump heap where it belongs.
Candour unlimited : But first  things first. Rajat deserves a dozen curtain calls for the Jalal that he created onscreen today.
It was a magisterial performance, and not only in the grand sweep of emotion as he bares his soul to Jodha. It was there even in the way he handles himself as he enters Jodha's rooms. The slight hesitation and half smile as he gathers himself up  so as not to reveal to the maids that he is sozzled.  The camouflaged  peering into the room to try and see where  Jodha is. The satisfied smile after he has rewarded and dismissed them. All the while retaining the slight loss of balance and control that are part and parcel of having imbibed far too freely. Everything  done impeccably, and in miniaturist detail.
What follows between him and Jodha is an infinitely  tender scene of love - not a love scene, for that needs reciprocity - one of the very best I have ever seen onscreen. As Rajat and Paridhi played off each other superbly, Jalal and Jodha made our hearts ache for them both.
And if  mine ached much more for Jalal, who ended up bruised and shattered, that was in large part due to Rajat'a ability to bring  this new found Jalal - with his hesitation,his  endearing shyness, his vulnerability,  his  touching candour that seeks both understanding and caring, and yes, love,  in return -    before  us with every nuance in place.
One has only to see him stretch his hand out to touch Jodha's back,  and then stop short, or quickly take away the arm he had put around her as he draws her  to the window to gaze at the moon, to understand how even  an emperor can be so unsure of himself when he is in love  and does not know it.
And then it all comes out, in a stumbling stream of words falling over one another, the husky voice thickened by unfamiliar longings, punctuated by self-deprecatory laughter. He speaks of an  Shahenshah who bends before no one, and is yet ready to bow before this woman. One who commands an empire and an army, and is yet afraid to tell her what he feels. Whose hand trembled the most when he held her hand in his  during their wedding ceremony. Who had begun by wanting to win her as  a trophy for his harem, but had changed, insensibly,  to now wanting her to understand him. Who had sought to conquer her, but had ended up losing to her.
This confession of his innermost feelings is, for Jalal, a kind of stripping of the soul,  a peeling away of every protective shell that he has built up around himself for years. It leaves him as  emotionally naked as a baby, and as vulnerable.
As all this comes pouring out, and Jodha holds his hand in hers in mute empathy, Jalal's face registers a kind of startled expression of  suspended disbelief. He cannot quite take in that this is  actually happening to him. When he turns back and sees the  gentleness in her eyes, the   amazement deepens. He puts out his other hand  to  cover hers, tentatively, as if afraid she would pull  hers away.
Jalal looks for all the world  like a little boy who has unexpectedly got the gift that he had long  yearned for. As Jodha assures that yes, she did mean every word she had written in that letter, and they came from her heart,  his eyes are lit up with  a wonderment at his good fortune, a childlike delight.
I could not but be both awed and moved by the depth,  and the transformative power of what, for lack of a better word, I shall call  love.
Alas, the words each is referring to are  disastrously different. And so the edifice of trust between them, built up with such difficulty in the face of so many obstacles, comes crashing down and buries even their nascent friendship in the debris. But not for long, of this at least  we can be sure.
Jodha- a blinkered thoroughbred: I was, for once, not cheesed off with Jodha today, For one thing, I was profoundly relieved not to have to endure a standard ashobaniya aacharan aur vaasnapoorti bhashan. Indeed, the respect, and more than that, the empathy and the affection she showed Jalal was heartwarming, and one realized anew how far she had travelled towards him in these last few weeks.
But the problem with Jodha is this: she has no perceptiveness where the  ideas or emotions of others are concerned, and thus no notion  of what Jalal is feeling as he talks and talks and talks to her of  what she has come to mean to him.
It is said that a woman always knows when a man is in love with her . The one who coined this aphorism had obviously never met the likes of Jodha Begum!
That she could listen to all of that, and that too from a man whose pride and power are both immense,  and still believe that it was a platonic friendship that lay behind it passes my comprehension, but so it is.  
So apni Jodha has no inkling that the gestures she makes  to comfort and encourage Jalal look very much like ladylike come ons.  All that handholding and shoulder patting would have given any man ideas, and this even without  the  assurance of the letter. Has Jodha Begum majored in platonic love by any chance, do you think?
More to the point,  how does she imagine that a man like Jalal can be tamed,  for the indefinite future,  into a 'friend' (without benefits, bien entendu) because that suits her?  That she can keep him   at arm's length forever,  while continuing to enjoy at the prestige and privileges of a Shahi Begum and, from time  to time,  getting her pet schemes  through using his imperial status and powers ?
No, I am not saying that Jodha is selfish or greedy or grasping or manipulative. She is not hardwired for any of that, in fact quite the opposite. She is merely unimaginative, self-righteous, self-absorbed, and in a word, plain cuckoo.
Reverting to The Shove, which is what made matters so disastrous,  Jodha realises that it should never have happened. She deeply regrets that, and the resultant hurt to Jalal's ego, judging from the lamentations with which she bombards Kanha the next morning. He must have promptly pressed the ear plugs (which  Ritu had thoughtfully passed on to him when it became clear that there was to be no ashobaniya vyavahaar bhashan) into action!
But Jodha takes it for granted that a heartfelt apology to Jalal will fix everything, which again betrays her  ignorance about the male psyche. For what stokes Jalal's fury is not so much that she does not love him. He was reconciled to that. It is rather that he had exposed himself to her as to no one else before, in the belief that she loved him. He had in effect confessed that he too  loved her  - he whispers that  he now wants to say to her what she had said to him in the letter . Now that she has, as he believes,  gone back on what she had written,  and had  snubbed him and spurned him, the confession that was meant as a proof  of his love for her has now become a source of lacerating shame at his weakness for an undeserving minx. .
Of course Jodha, devoid of any feminine intuition,  would never be able to decipher any of this. She is like a blinkered thoroughbred, always plunging ahead regardless.
Heartbreak and humiliation:As for  Jalal's predictably violent reaction to his rejection, I was relieved that it was anger, rather than a debilitating, self-destructive grief. An emperor cannot afford to become a Devdas.
This said,  it is a double blow, to his heart as well as to his ego. Heartbreak and humiliation do not have to be in separate compartments. They mesh into a toxic whole and embitter and corrode  a person from inside.  His imperial ego would not be able to  take not just rejection, but rejection after what he would see as having been deliberately led on by her  and then humiliated. Plus being knocked to the ground to boot, intolerable for an alpha male!
It was written elsewhere that both Jalal and Jodha felt they had suffered beizzati.  This could not be more wrong. Jodha does not feel humiliated in any way, for she realises - and this is a measure of her regard for him now - that there must have been some misconception or mistake in her letter to trigger his altered behaviour. It is only Jalal who is seething with inchoate fury, and possibly a desire for revenge against Jodha as well.
If this was a Thomas Hardy or Anne Bronte novel, they would split for keeps and Jalal would plot dark revenge against her. Here the happy ending is mandatory, which spoils the fun to a large extent, but also simplifies matters.
So Jodha will probably now find out, at least for a while, what it feels like to be consigned to the outer darkness because the Sun King has turned away from her. It will be interesting to see how she handles this, and anyway it will not be for too long, Benazir or no Benazir.
Shyamala B.Cowsik
PS: What was it with the 21 st century nightdress for  Jodha?  A sleeveless undergown and an outer wrap, no less! And she used to commune with Morpheus in her full stiff regalia till the other day!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 131: Heartbreak ++

Post by neha on 2013-12-18, 16:02

Superb  Thumbsup Loved your take on Jodha...she is indeed a plain cuckoo who is far away from baring her soul to Jalal or even loving him! I convinced myself somehow that she pushed him unintentionally in an attempt to free herself from his hug when he tried to remove her jacket or whatever it was for the second time and he sooo drunk lost his balance! In a blink of an eye Jalal's world shattered and he could not do anything except roaring back and throwing objects.
Though this time they both are victims of circumstances, Jodha is the one to blame for playing with his feelings knowingly or unknowingly. She deliberately tried to ignore his advances in Amer and seemed to enjoy the fruits of her so called political marriage. No woman is ever a fool as madam Jodha not to understand the feelings of a man who always keeps you in high regards no matter what!.
My heart goes out to Jalal who for the first time risked to bare his soul to someone and look what he got in return. Indeed a heartbreak ++

neha
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria J on 2013-12-18, 17:39

Loved reading u

I Loved Rajat too yesterday..

Maria J

Back to top Go down

Post by yagavarthini on 2013-12-18, 18:42

sashashyam

"speaks of an  Shahenshah who bends before no one, and is yet ready to bow before this woman. One who commands an empire and an army, and is yet afraid to tell her what he feels. Whose hand trembled the most when he held her hand in his  during their wedding ceremony. Who had begun by wanting to win her as  a trophy for his harem, but had changed, insensibly,  to now wanting her to understand him. Who had sought to conquer her, but had ended up losing to her."

*Proud to be a GIRL ( women can change a man )
Feeling a bit down & inferior- got bombarded by my opposite sex.

yagavarthini
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 03:50

Thank you, my dear Neha. I am glad we are of a mind on all of this. Shyamala  B.Cowsikneha wrote:Superb  Thumbsup Loved your take on Jodha...she is indeed a plain cuckoo who is far away from baring her soul to Jalal or even loving him! I convinced myself somehow that she pushed him unintentionally in an attempt to free herself from his hug when he tried to remove her jacket or whatever it was for the second time and he sooo drunk lost his balance! In a blink of an eye Jalal's world shattered and he could not do anything except roaring back and throwing objects.
     Though this time they both are victims of circumstances, Jodha is the one to blame for playing with his feelings knowingly or unknowingly. She deliberately tried to ignore his advances in Amer and seemed to enjoy the fruits of her so called political marriage. No woman is ever a fool as madam Jodha not to understand the feelings of a man who always keeps you in high regards no matter what!.
    My heart goes out to Jalal who for the first time risked to bare his soul to someone and look what he got in return. Indeed a heartbreak ++

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 03:51

So am I, proud to be a woman, that is! Shyamala B.Cowsik PS: Your id is fascinating and very unusualyagavarthini wrote:sashashyam

"speaks of an  Shahenshah who bends before no one, and is yet ready to bow before this woman. One who commands an empire and an army, and is yet afraid to tell her what he feels. Whose hand trembled the most when he held her hand in his  during their wedding ceremony. Who had begun by wanting to win her as  a trophy for his harem, but had changed, insensibly,  to now wanting her to understand him. Who had sought to conquer her, but had ended up losing to her."

*Proud to be a GIRL ( women can change a man )
Feeling a bit down & inferior- got bombarded by my opposite sex.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by yagavarthini on 2013-12-19, 06:01

Shyamala B.Cowsik PS

*That my feeling yesterday
Sorry, I should have written about jo & jalal - end up writing my own feelings

yagavarthini
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2013-12-19, 11:20

It is fascinating to read your posts Shyamala ...
Loved how Jodha stood her ground ... Unlike all the 21st century star plus Heroines .. Who take years to even begin resisting any injustice done to them ...

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-12-19, 11:26

Wow....awesome post Aunty...

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 13:19

My dear, what is there to be sorry about? You are perfectly free to link the serial  to anything you like, including your personal views. Shyamala B.Cowsiiyagavarthini wrote:Shyamala B.Cowsik PS

*That my feeling yesterday
Sorry, I should have written about jo & jalal - end up writing my own feelings

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2013-12-19, 13:28

Aunty...whats ur take on jallu's behaviour last nite......am eager to read ur views :)

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by yagavarthini on 2013-12-19, 13:30

sashashyam

Tq
Next time I will be free as possible on my views

yagavarthini
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 13:37

JODHA stood her ground? Injustice, what injustice? The hurt, the humiliation and the injustice are all to Jalal. Are you sure you did not read some other post by mistake? Shyamala --sumana13-- wrote: :)  :) It is fascinating to read your posts Shyamala ...
Loved how Jodha stood her ground ... Unlike all the 21st century star plus Heroines .. Who take years to even begin resisting any injustice done to them ...

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sandhya on 2013-12-19, 13:57

Aap jahan bhi jayenge,
Hum peeche peeche aayenge,

Apne comments pe personal comments paane ke liye
Aur thoda aur jalal keerthi sunne ke liye

Thakleef ke liye muaaf keejiyega.
This is just a repeat.

Shyamala Aunty,

First of all, I was in so much awe of Rajat's performance yesterday that Jalal's pain struck me with full intensity only on second watching.  Your boy wonder never ceases to amaze.

In fact I was eagerly awaiting your post today. I had earlier wanted to have Jalal whipped with your words. Today I wanted to have him praised for the depth of his feelings which I knew you would in good measure.(See how fickle the human mind is!!!! )

It was such a beautiful scene and the leads did so well  that nothing registered in my mind beyond the first scene. Thank God, we were spared from Bhaashan No :879798.  But Jalal would have preferred the usual bhaashan to her empathy which notched him to dizzy heights from where his fall was more painful.

It was sad that she  induced him in action and words, inadvertently though, to reveal his biggest secret - his vulnerability and readiness to surrender to a woman he has come to care against his initial instincts. His realisation that he has revealed his precious secret for no returns  devastated him and hit him where it pains most.

And the fall- You could feel the angst the way you did when Jodha placed the sword on his neck. If the sword bruised his ego, Jodha's push shattered his heart and his pride.

(Why don't they make the rest of the serial the way they made this scene?)

But I still can't accept the fact that Jodha is such a dunce that she could not perceive what was coming.  No mitr will reveal himself inside out as Jalal did yesterday.  I felt she should have stopped him right at the start if she can't reciprocate.  Her encouragement was only giving wrong signals.

It was also irksome that she chose to complete her explanation and clarification of her concept of prem, unmindful of the fact whether he was standing on foot or fallen on ground. And as I said in your previous thread,  will she accept him only after completing her Ph.D on Prem, theoretically analysing shringaar ras with its bhaavs and anubhaavs.(By the time she decides on her sthaayi bhaav, her aalambhan vibhaav would have switched himself to nafrat mode) Till then he is mitr. He has to be whatever she designates him to be, as far as she is concerned.

Anyway, now that he has begun to feel hatred cum humiliation at the events, I sincerely do wish that he totally ignores her as though she never exists, and it should be Jodha who analyses, and works hard to patch up his nafrat, the way he patched up her ghrina. It would balance the story well.

After seeing her spurn Jalal all these days and literally shove him yesterday, I think it would do her good to experience viyog shringaar to complete her thesis.

.....AND how did you like the 'stree ki lalsa' comment?  I'm madder than Jalal right now and all my empathy for the angelic Jodha of the provious night vanished into thin air and I am in a no-sympathy mode for her, whatever be on Jalal's humiliation agenda.

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-19, 14:13

My dear Sandhya,I am in the happy position of agreeing with you in  toto,and thus not having to add anything!Shyamala Auntysandhya wrote:Aap jahan bhi jayenge,
Hum peeche peeche aayenge,

Apne comments pe personal comments paane ke liye
Aur thoda aur jalal keerthi sunne ke liye

Thakleef ke liye muaaf keejiyega.
This is just a repeat.

Shyamala Aunty,

First of all, I was in so much awe of Rajat's performance yesterday that Jalal's pain struck me with full intensity only on second watching.  Your boy wonder never ceases to amaze.

In fact I was eagerly awaiting your post today. I had earlier wanted to have Jalal whipped with your words. Today I wanted to have him praised for the depth of his feelings which I knew you would in good measure.(See how fickle the human mind is!!!! )

It was such a beautiful scene and the leads did so well  that nothing registered in my mind beyond the first scene. Thank God, we were spared from Bhaashan No :879798.  But Jalal would have preferred the usual bhaashan to her empathy which notched him to dizzy heights from where his fall was more painful.

It was sad that she  induced him in action and words, inadvertently though, to reveal his biggest secret - his vulnerability and readiness to surrender to a woman he has come to care against his initial instincts. His realisation that he has revealed his precious secret for no returns  devastated him and hit him where it pains most.

And the fall- You could feel the angst the way you did when Jodha placed the sword on his neck. If the sword bruised his ego, Jodha's push shattered his heart and his pride.

(Why don't they make the rest of the serial the way they made this scene?)

But I still can't accept the fact that Jodha is such a dunce that she could not perceive what was coming.  No mitr will reveal himself inside out as Jalal did yesterday.  I felt she should have stopped him right at the start if she can't reciprocate.  Her encouragement was only giving wrong signals.

It was also irksome that she chose to complete her explanation and clarification of her concept of prem, unmindful of the fact whether he was standing on foot or fallen on ground. And as I said in your previous thread,  will she accept him only after completing her Ph.D on Prem, theoretically analysing shringaar ras with its bhaavs and anubhaavs.(By the time she decides on her sthaayi bhaav, her aalambhan vibhaav would have switched himself to nafrat mode) Till then he is mitr. He has to be whatever she designates him to be, as far as she is concerned.

Anyway, now that he has begun to feel hatred cum humiliation at the events, I sincerely do wish that he totally ignores her as though she never exists, and it should be Jodha who analyses, and works hard to patch up his nafrat, the way he patched up her ghrina. It would balance the story well.

After seeing her spurn Jalal all these days and literally shove him yesterday, I think it would do her good to experience viyog shringaar to complete her thesis.

.....AND how did you like the 'stree ki lalsa' comment?  I'm madder than Jalal right now and all my empathy for the angelic Jodha of the provious night vanished into thin air and I am in a no-sympathy mode for her, whatever be on Jalal's humiliation agenda.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by megharanjini on 2013-12-21, 10:29

Very well written post, loved it.

megharanjini
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2013-12-21, 11:40

Thank you Megha. Shyamala B.Cowsikmegharanjini wrote:Very well written post, loved it.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 07:26

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum