Latest topics

Pongal with the Iyers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pongal with the Iyers

Post by slmu on 2014-01-15, 14:32

Pongal celebrations at the Iyers.. full of religious fervor, happiness and a feeling of good times to come. The celebrations were really complete.. with .. wait for it...  'live nadaswaram' (for those wondering what I'm talking about - the nadaswaram is like the shehnai, but longer).

Seriously, this to me was completely overboard. The nadaswaram is very auspicious and played during weddings, thread ceremonies etc. They also have them in temples. Do families hire a nadaswaram troupe to perform for Pongal festivities? Not that I know off.

And are the CVs even aware of the decibel factor - small flat, loud nadaswaram. etc etc.

While fiction is fiction, some homework is necessary.

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Re: Pongal with the Iyers

Post by anusha.cochin on 2014-01-15, 14:39

slmu wrote:Pongal celebrations at the Iyers.. full of religious fervor, happiness and a feeling of good times to come. The celebrations were really complete.. with .. wait for it...  'live nadaswaram' (for those wondering what I'm talking about - the nadaswaram is like the shehnai, but longer).

Seriously, this to me was completely overboard. The nadaswaram is very auspicious and played during weddings, thread ceremonies etc. They also have them in temples. Do families hire a nadaswaram troupe to perform for Pongal festivities? Not that I know off.

And are the CVs even aware of the decibel factor - small flat, loud nadaswaram. etc etc.

I was thinking n the nadaswaram part as well.....In Kerala nadaswaram is played only during wedding and functions held in temples....

I tht nadaswaram n pongal celebration s not unusual as I dnt knw much abt Tamil Iyer customs.... Shocked 

anusha.cochin
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by slmu on 2014-01-15, 14:40

anusha.cochin wrote:
slmu wrote:Pongal celebrations at the Iyers.. full of religious fervor, happiness and a feeling of good times to come. The celebrations were really complete.. with .. wait for it...  'live nadaswaram' (for those wondering what I'm talking about - the nadaswaram is like the shehnai, but longer).

I was thinking n the nadaswaram part as well.....In Kerala nadaswaram is played only during wedding and functions held in temples....

I tht nadaswaram n pongal celebration s not unusual as I dnt knw much abt Tamil Iyer customs.... Shocked 

No Anu, its not usual. I don't think we even play a tape of it.

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2014-01-15, 14:41

The show is always going overboard in depicting the southern culture.

The producer nor the director has any idea of the reality...just the costumes is not enough they should have minute details of how the lives of the present day South Indians are...otherwise they could have just shown a normal family instead of highlighting wrongly abt them

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by slmu on 2014-01-15, 14:45

zuzana wrote:The show is always going overboard in depicting the southern culture.

The producer nor the director has any idea of the reality...just the costumes is not enough they should have minute details of how the lives of the present day South Indians are...otherwise they could have just shown a normal family instead of highlighting wrongly abt them

Completely agree.. they've got absolutely no clue about the southern culture. Surely some homework is necessary?

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2014-01-15, 14:56

as I said send ekta and the director to chennai and tie him up for one month in a house...

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by slmu on 2014-01-15, 14:58

zuzana wrote:as I said send ekta and the director to chennai and tie him up for one month in a house...

:*lol*:  good plan

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2014-01-15, 15:43

Shanthi,

Where do they have nadhaswaram playing for any festivals. I would like to mention the nadhaswaram players themselves will be celebrating Pongal in their houses and not go out anywhere. At present we have holidays for four days and no one stepping out. Infact most of the shops are on leave.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by slmu on 2014-01-15, 21:18

anurao66 wrote:Shanthi,

Where do they have nadhaswaram playing for any festivals. I would like to mention the nadhaswaram players themselves will be celebrating Pongal in their houses and not go out anywhere. At present we have holidays for four days and no one stepping out. Infact most of the shops are on leave.

Exactly Anu.. these CVs have absolutely no clue as to how South Indian households function.. its ridiculous.

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 06:19

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum