Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 155: Dawnbreak ahead, or a mrigtrishna?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 155: Dawnbreak ahead, or a mrigtrishna?

Post by sashashyam on 2014-01-21, 15:29

Folks,
As you would see from the title,  after this latest episode, I am, and I am sure you are too, in a state of hesitant optimism or lucid pessimism, take you pick, about the way things are going. Given the way this tale has been yo-yoing, the mrigtrishna (mirage) term might well turn out to  be the correct one, but I intend to keep my fingers and toes crossed tightly enough to qualify them for an American style   pretzel contest. So should you!
My  tentative optimism is largely centred on Jalal, but I have not lost sight of Jodha either. I re- read my last 2 posts,  and confirmed to myself that I have been able to lavish a great deal of, for me, unusual,  but well-deserved  praise on her. Now, I only hope she does not start sliding backwards, for to tell the truth, I am heartily tired to having to take her apart in post after post. Even if she moves a little way towards becoming the Diana-cum-Juno that I had always wanted her to be, a feisty, strong-minded, and intelligent, but withal caring and protective  young woman,  who could tame a turbulent, arrogant Shahenshah by stages,  instead of what she is now, I would be more than satisfied.
Let us begin then with Jalal.
Dhakoslabaazi; The precap was, for me,  the highlight of the whole episode, with Jalal being informed  soulfully by Jodha about her keeping the Mahashivaratri vrat for him . She does not forget to add, in her typically disastrous style, that she will be doing it  because her Maasa  had made her promise to do that. Now if you were Jalal, how would you have taken that statement?
So,  when he  retorts snappily,  Jab aap hamein apna shauhar hi nahin maanti, to yeh dhakoslabaazi karne ki kya zaroorat hai?  I was clapping hard. It was savagely ironic and spot on, and Jodha is left speechless.
We will undoubtedly find out tonight if she has a neat comeback line, or disarms him by dissolving into tears. Of course to the accompaniment of Mirza's mantra (about mohabbat meaning that one cannot hurt the object of one's affections even if one wants to)  playing in the background,  while Jalal lowers his aggressive chin and stares at her tear-filled eyes. By now, I am as tired of this corny  mantra of Mirza's as I am of the overused  Jalal-Jodha background theme!.
But for now, Jalal can be given a couple of brownie points for  not behaving  like a marshmallow left out in the sun, but putting Jodha clearly on the defensive with that irrefutable question.
As for the rest of it, some have queried his second retort that he does not believe in pooja-path  for saving his life (What? Not dua? Our Shahenshah is getting rajvanshified  as well!) , citing his bowing before Kali Maa and his accepting prasad from Jodha as proofs to the contrary.
But none of this, which simply marks his admirable acceptance of and respect for the faith of others,  need have anything to do with his  believing that prayers can save  his life when it is endangered.  The two are quite diferent things. Jalal has always claimed that he writes his own fate with his shamsheer ki dhaar,  and while the shamsheer  is not even seen in his jungi riyaaz  these days, and might well be rusting, the principle presumably still holds!
Another brownie point is due to Jalal for his managing to withstand the magnetic pull that almost overwhelms him when he passes in front of Jodha's chambers.
At that moment, he is acutely irritated with  Mirza Hakim for having made him face something he does not want to acknowledge at all. This is  thanks in good part to Mirza's most unfortunate assertion that love can make even an emperor so weak that it can bring him to its knees. That  was  not only incorrect - true love makes one strong, not weak - but it was also the worst possible thing to say to a proud man who is in a state of denial about the very idea of mohabbat  as applied to himself. Whence Jalal's muttering to himself, as he  passes by Jodha's rooms,  about the inexplicable anger, the jealousy, and the restlessness he now feels.
If he had then been forced by his obsession with Jodha to go up to her and ask for the prasad, there would have been a subsequent and strong rebound, making him shy away violently  from what he perceives as a disastrous weakness. What he did was thus  better for his eventual progression  towards acknowledging what it is that he feels.
As for his decision to go to Ruqaiya for the night, it need not be on the rebound from Jodha at all. Why should he not spend the night with his chief queen? It must be something that he does all the time, and he does not  have to have  a reason for that, like not wanting to be shoved to the ground once more by Jodha! He is not in a good mood, and probably he wants a break with his Gatti. It is surely  better than doing it with the khaas tohfa,  even if she was not a vishkanya!
Sibling affection: The scene earlier with Mirza Hakim was warm and affectionate, as I had expected. Jalal is always very affectionate in a tactile fashion with his siblings - he hugs Bakshi Banu whenever  she is sad, and his  opening embrace of her in the confession scene was very touching.  So he wants to personally prepare Mirza for his first battle, and hand over his shamsheer  to him  before he leaves. Ideally, Hamida Banu should have been there to bless Mirza, seeing that his mother is not there, but she has not even tried to come and comfort him, so that is too much to expect . If Shivani had married him, she would have  handed him his sword, after the aarti.
Memory loss re: Mirza Hakim?: As for Mirza, he was  talking as if he had been at Jalal's right hand all these years, noting his expressions before every jung ka eilaan (did he start at 10 years old?), instead of having been doing badtameezi in Kabul, as per Jalal himself (in episode 49).
Jalal had then mentioned Hakim for the first time in court, and said  'Kabul me Mirza Hakim ki manmaani baghawat ki had tak badh gayi hai. Kabul sultanate ki sarhad hai, Use aur Kandahar ko mehfooz rakhna sultanate ki hifazat aur uske rasookh ke liye ahem hai. Hame usse iss tarah sambhalna hai ki kisi ko khabar bhi na pade ki waha kabhi koi takleef aayi thi'"
Given this, the present whiter than white  avatar of Mirza, plus Jalal's overflowing affection for him, seem illogical and puzzling. I suspect the present lot of CVs has not seen that episode,and  as for standing history on its head, why, what then is the 30 second daily disclaimer for?

NB: No, I did not remember the episode number, Lashy my dear, only the substance of that statement  of Jalal's, which I had cited in my  Inconsistencies abounding post, saying " This was why, in our serial, Mirza Hakim was mentioned at one point,  in a conversation between Jalal and Atgah Khan, as having become too big for his boots in Kabul. So much so that Jalal had to sent Munim Khan there to curb him and  clip his wings." The credit for digging out of the episode number and the verbatim text of what Jalal said then is  due solely to Shwetha (jshweta16)

Imperator resurgent: Jalal seems to crawling back to his old self,  witness the terrifying mirthless smile of old with which he tells Abul Mali that he has had his eye on him ever since Abul Mali  entered Agra, and that while as for his being executed, waqt hi batayega, he would make sure the traitor  experienced hell on earth while still alive. 
He is also beginning to  resume his siyasati self.
His asking Abul Mali about his  jasoos was rhetorical. He could hardly have expected to get an honest reply!
In fact, much of the ridiculing of Jalal in the forum for his 4/6 eyes claim is due to a fundamental misunderstanding of what Jalal and Atgah Khan have been up to re: Abul Mali.
The truth is that far from being a terminally ill-informed ruler who cannot spot  a  treasonous plot going on right under his nose (for which, I must confess, I too had taken him  severely to task) , Jalal has been having  a close watch kept on Abul Mali all this while, which is why they  are able to reel him in at once as soon as Jalal gives the go ahead to Atgah Khan.
Earlier, Jalal's  whispering to Atgah Khan was clearly about the ongoing "keep Abul Mali under strict observation" plan of his ,  about which we were told only later, at the Diwan-e-Khas scene. When Jalal says  to Atgah, while leaving,  that it is now time, he means for pulling Abul Mali out of his hidey hole and bringing him to Agra fort as a prisoner.
Please do not fail to note that this time,  Jalal extends his confabulation with Atgah Khan, instead of becoming distracted by the sight of Jodha Begum and immediately dropping affairs of state to start squabbling with her. This too was an achcha lakshan!
Question: Does  that mean that Jalal's spies also spotted the touching Benazir-Abul Mali  embrace in the middle of the Agra Bazaar? If they had done so, Jalal would be on to the KT (khaas tohfa) already and by himself.
I hope he has figured out Benazir, just as he had Abul Mali spotted as soon as he entered Agra. I want him to get out of that trap on his own. Jodha can come running in and try to take the bite, perhaps, and thus prove her bonafides as a devoted patni, but Jalal should be smart enough to take care of himself. Let us see.

As for the criticism of Jalal for brushing Jodha off summarily when she tries  once more to warn him about  Benazir, it  is  possible, indeed likely that,  just as he knew about Abu Mali being in hiding in Agra, he knows about Benazir being Abul Malis' weapon against him as well. If so, the last thing he would do would be to confabulate with Jodha  about that at the entrance to the Diwan-e-Khas. Why does she not try and meet him in his rooms?  He does not bar her entry the last I saw.

The zahreeli dosiza angle: We should also not forget one thing here. Even if Jalal knows  that Benazir is out to get him, he will not realise till  the very last moment HOW she plans to do that.

Why, even after watching Benazir writhe all over the screen today like an item dancer, and after having listened to Mirza's account of how a zahreeli dosiza gets restless and irritable when deprived of her daily fix of snake venom, our Jodha Begum  has not yet managed to connect the dots. How can Jalal, who has not had the benefit to Mirza's  esoteric knowhow, and has not seen his KT today, even guess that she is a vishkanya?

So, even if he is expecting her to attack him when she gets to be up close and personal with him, he will be looking out for a stab with a khanjar, not a deadly snakebite. Now he is a strong man, and  he would never  dream that in any such eventuality, he would  not be able to overpower her physically. So her actual move will catch him unprepared, and he will have to react very quickly.

The Great Snake Famine: It is here that the emptying out of  Benazir's stock of snakes comes in ( Zakira's timorous report that the pitaris are empty is exactly the sort of thing one's servants do. They always announce that the coffee or the sugar or the dals have run out after the stock has been completely used up, never a  little  ahead of time!) .
Judging from Benazir's writhing act of last night - done in full costume, such as there is of it,  complete  with jewellery - it does not look as thought the KT is in her usual top  form for poisoning Jalal.
This leaves open the possibility that even if she bites him, the poison might act far more slowly than the norm, giving some time for Jalal's rescue team, very likely headed by Jodha. I think we will have that climax only on Friday.

Question: Why would Benazir want to go ahead with her murderous plans now, with Abul  Mali  in prison? For this means that  even if she manages to dispose of  Jalal without getting  caught for it  - one presumes that she is a contract killer and not a suicide kisser! -  someone else will seize the throne.  Abul Mali will not be let out of prison  by the successor to Jalal, who would hardly want another contender for power, but would very likely be executed pronto. What then about  Benazir's imperial ambitions (which are crazy in any case) ? 

Jodha:   Her tenacious campaign to protect the Shahenshah from Benazir is admirable in its persistence against all odds. It is rooted partly in a desire to make up to him for the Shivani fiasco,  partly in order not to feel guilty that she did not do all that she could to stave off such a a disaster. As she says to Moti before she sets off to meet Sharifuddin for the first time, if anything bad happened and she had not done all that she could to prevent it, she would never be able to forgive herself as long as she lived.
This is not the desperate fear of a woman out to save the life of  the man she loves. While Jalal will not accept to himself that he loves Jodha,  Jodha has, as yet,  no idea she is moving towards that most uncomfortable state of being. 
It remains to be seen for how long she is safe from that. For love is rarely  a bed of roses. It brings insecurity, vulnerability, and often great grief,  more often that it brings roseate happiness. As I wrote earlier, when love comes, it is mostly not cock a hoop with fine feathers, but slowly,  dragging itself on bleeding feet.
A major faux  pas: Both Jodha and Mirza are like tubelights with a defective choke. One takes till today to decipher the code and the other  has still not done it!
Jodha's immediately confronting  Benazir and showing her hand prematurely was both very ill-advised and counter-productive. But she is always "like that only" - remember the time when she unwisely  reveals to Sharifuddin that she had masqueraded as a  daasi at Amer and learnt of his skulduggery in the Ratanpur fort affair; which led to his wanting to hit back at her and embarking on  the false pregnancy track?
Our Jodha Begum never connects such obvious points, as she is not given to introspection, and so she never learns from her past mistakes, but repeats them conscientiously. After all, she might be a Rajvanshi princess and a Mughal Shahi Begum, but she is still an Ekta Kapoor heroine! 
What she should have done instead was, as she does not have Benazir's letter, to write it out from memory and go to Jalal with the coded message she has deciphered. I live in hope, however, that Jalal has deciphered the message already before sending the “paigham” on to Kabul; his aural memory is amazing.
One significant comment  Jodha made while watching Abul Mali  was "It is tragic how all of Shehenshah's near and dear ones are out to betray him!' She conveniently forgot about her Sujamal Bhaisa, of course, whose treachery was no less. even  if he did have a valid reason for opposing Bharmal, for him to betray Amer to Sharifuddin was despicable.

Mahaam: I liked Mahaam's calm explanation of Jalal's decision to Adham, who will of course be reassured and more convinced than ever of his mother's siyasati  skills when he gets to lead the Malwa campaign.She has brains, you have to hand it to her, and is also generally a very good judge of  character.  Today that included the kaabil Mansingh, though I am sure she  detests him on principle.

The jung:  Do not get your hopes up, folks, but with any luck, you might have a 3  minute war, if only for Mirza and Mansingh to win the Mughal equivalents of the Mahavir Chakra. Not the Param Vir Chakra, as you mostly get it only posthumously.
The Mahashivaratri climax: My bet is that it will end up like a mythological  film, with Jodha deafening the helpless Kanha here with her desperate pleas, and Jalal waking up to the precise kind of danger he faces from the KT there, of course at the very last moment!  There will be much intercutting between the Jodha-Kanha duo and the Jalal-Benazir duo, till we reach the fatal ending, for Benazir, that is.   
Given that this is an 8 pm family show (some of the  dubious recent tracks notwithstanding!), we are unlikely  to get what 99% of the forum would die for: Jodha rushing in,  repeating The Shove, this time on Benazir, and replacing  her at the very last minute  for The Kiss (of course it needs capitalisation!). But there is nothing to stop you all from dreaming of it!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 155: Dawnbreak ahead, or a mrigtrishna?

Post by anurao66 on 2014-01-21, 16:44

Shyamala,

I really loved your post as usual. Yesterday i felt like hitting Jodha for going and confronting Benazir. I do hope the Cv's change tracks and show her as an intelligent princess.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by candy on 2014-01-21, 16:59

Shyamla, i liked ur post. I hope they Will give Jo at least one chance to show a queen's cleverness before they end this show.

candy
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Arpitha on 2014-01-21, 17:24

loved your post Shyamala aunty.......... Thumbsup  Bye  Bye

Arpitha
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-01-21, 17:47

Thank you, my dear Arpita! Shyamala AuntyArpitha wrote:loved your post Shyamala aunty.......... Thumbsup  Bye  Bye

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-01-21, 17:48

Thank you, Candy. As forJodha, I hope so too, for I am tired of criticising her! Shyamalacandy wrote:Shyamla, i liked ur post.   I hope they Will give Jo at least one chance to show a queen's cleverness before they end this show.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-01-21, 17:49

Thank you, Anu, and I hope so too, very much. I am tired of criticising her in post after post. Shyamalaanurao66 wrote:Shyamala,

I really loved your post as usual. Yesterday i felt like hitting Jodha for going and confronting Benazir. I do hope the Cv's change tracks and show her as an intelligent princess.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by ShaliniRobinson on 2014-01-21, 21:41

That was hilarious --- the bit on Jodha. She's really exhausted most variations of the word 'dumb'. At least twice in the past she's shown this strange, senseless inclination to go confront the culprit; each time with disastrous result. Apparently the kahaawat 'doodh ka jalaa cchacch bhi phoonk ke pita hai' doesn't apply to her.

She seems to format the hard disk of her head, wiping it clean of most lessons that any particular situation/fiasco may have taught her - except for the ones ingrained into her head.

I really did enjoy the entire write-up. Thank you so much!

My heart went out to Jalal in the past few days as he tries time and again to convince himself that he's heartless, he doesn't believe in love, is not in love and most certainly not with Jodha.
His wish to go spend time with Ruqaiya seems so much out of sheer need for someone who agrees that he's heartless and would affirm his faith in it.

Poor Jalal! He really had to work hard to keep Ruqu happy. Desperation, frustration, pain and more than anything else, probably complete fatigue from the constant pressure --- Rajat is pulling off these scenes extremely well.

So Jodha's gone praying and fasting for someone she doesn't really consider husband. I remember there was a scene where Jalal came to Jodha while she was at the Tulsi plant, and she imagined armed men launching themselves on Jalal. She came through and covered Jalal.

I really wondered back then if it was symbolic -- which I do hope -- and not literal, such that Jodha gets bitten by Benazir instead of Jalal or in an attempt to save him. Jodha has already been frost-bitten once, and Jalal was anxious enough then to realize his 'heart' in the matter. I hope there isn't going to be a repeat of that.

It might be 'romantic' but please, spare the few of us who are not so inclined. I, for one, would be bored out of my mind to see Jodha bitten and in critical haalat, and Jalal losing it all and falling to bits. Please - there has got to be a better way to redeem Jodha from the Amer-disgrace.

I think I could take the Jodha-kanha v/s Jalal-Benazir option better than the 'romantic' angle.

Thank you so much, once again! :)

ShaliniRobinson
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by candy on 2014-01-21, 21:59

agree with ur views shalini.. hug1

candy
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-01-22, 02:23

I agree completely  with all that you have said here, Shalini, especially the parts about Jalal and Ruqaiya. wrote:
I felt very sorry for poor, tired Jalal tonight, chewed out by his Begum-e-Khaas till he gets up to leave - he was so patient with Ruqaiya for so long, while his body language screamed that he was dropping with emotional fatigue. Rajat was superb then.I wanted to wallop Ruqaiya for mentioning The Shove again  in such a sneering way and rubbing that wound raw all over again. What sort of childhood friendship is this that cannot see when the friend needs some  peace of mind and something soothing? She must be used to nagging him like this from their childhood. When Jalal  comes up to her and says Hamse itna khafa mat ho Ruqaiya, my heart went out to the boy.He just needs to get away  from both these tiresome women; he should have asked Salima to read him to sleep with some good book. I  liked the dhakolsabaazi scene when Jalal just walks away. He was looking very sombre as he was walking towards her. It is clear that post-Shivani, he does not want to linger near Jodha at all, for all that his heart pulls him that way. He is determined to keep this woman out of his system, and not be forced to go down on his knees some day soon (as per the Mirza catechism on the divine passion!). I had predicted as much two posts ago, and so I am quite pleased about that.Jodha was good in that scene, her face and voice were in sync with the mood of the scene. She had been standoffish and downright offputting when she thought that he was hankering after her because of SKLL, Now he barely pauses to talk to her, and shows clearly that he does not want anything to do with her, and she goes all gooey-eyed and smiles secretly to herself when the new, flat-voiced Moti affirms that the Mahashivaratri vrat brings husband and wife together in a strong bond, and later prays in the Shivmandir for their sambandh to be lasting as that of Shiva-Parvati. Who can fathom the heart of a woman?ShyamalaShaliniRobinsonThat was hilarious --- the bit on Jodha. She's really exhausted most variations of the word 'dumb'. At least twice in the past she's shown this strange, senseless inclination to go confront the culprit; each time with disastrous result. Apparently the kahaawat 'doodh ka jalaa cchacch bhi phoonk ke pita hai' doesn't apply to her.

She seems to format the hard disk of her head, wiping it clean of most lessons that any particular situation/fiasco may have taught her - except for the ones ingrained into her head.

I really did enjoy the entire write-up. Thank you so much!

My heart went out to Jalal in the past few days as he tries time and again to convince himself that he's heartless, he doesn't believe in love, is not in love and most certainly not with Jodha.
His wish to go spend time with Ruqaiya seems so much out of sheer need for someone who agrees that he's heartless and would affirm his faith in it.

Poor Jalal! He really had to work hard to keep Ruqu happy. Desperation, frustration, pain and more than anything else, probably complete fatigue from the constant pressure --- Rajat is pulling off these scenes extremely well.

So Jodha's gone praying and fasting for someone she doesn't really consider husband. I remember there was a scene where Jalal came to Jodha while she was at the Tulsi plant, and she imagined armed men launching themselves on Jalal. She came through and covered Jalal.

I really wondered back then if it was symbolic -- which I do hope -- and not literal, such that Jodha gets bitten by Benazir instead of Jalal or in an attempt to save him. Jodha has already been frost-bitten once, and Jalal was anxious enough then to realize his 'heart' in the matter. I hope there isn't going to be a repeat of that.

It might be 'romantic' but please, spare the few of us who are not so inclined. I, for one, would be bored out of my mind to see Jodha bitten and in critical haalat, and Jalal losing it all and falling to bits. Please - there has got to be a better way to redeem Jodha from the Amer-disgrace.

I think I could take the Jodha-kanha v/s Jalal-Benazir option better than the 'romantic' angle.

Thank you so much, once again! :)

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:25

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum