Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 169: Sunlight on a butterfly’s wings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 169: Sunlight on a butterfly’s wings

Post by sashashyam on 2014-02-09, 12:30

Folks,
When was the last time you  watched dappled sunlight dancing on the surface of running  water? Or  the iridescent colours that appear and disappear on a butterfly's wings as the  light catches  them? A long  time ago, I expect. But I saw both  on Friday night ,  as Jalal and Jodha  created magic together, and Tinkerbell spangled the screen with fairy dust.
Frankly, I  did not expect what we saw, or even  ten percent of it. Not even  after seeing the new promo the day before, and no wonder,  for promos in Jodha Akbar have often proved misleading, or even downright  fake,  as during the Hawaii incident. I had  thus merely voiced the modest hope that they  might, at long last,  have a calm, sensible, mildly productive conversation. Which, even  if it did not resolve the issues of The Letter and The Shove, might at least move them a bit  down the path to what we have been assured would be an amar prem gatha.
Friday night magic: What we got was,  in the truest sense of the word, magical. Romance  of neither the RK Films logo she-slips-and-lands-in-his-arms variety,  nor of the sensual, heavy breathing variety. Instead,  of the delicate, butterfly-dancing-above-the-water kind,  where  the most commonplace nok jhok can brighten their spirits as if a candle had been lit inside them. When looking at each other from 10 feet away, or the slightest, almost accidental touch of the fingers, can conjure up  the warmth of  a close embrace.
Let  us walk thru their scenes once more, in no particular order, to confirm my first impression that they were really spangled with fairy dust.  
And no, I am not going into anything else from that night: neither  the  frantic Ruqaiya,  so pathetically  ill-equipped to tackle what is soon going to hit her, nor her stormy  encounter with Mahaam, nor even the congregation in Jodha's rooms with Mirza Hakim and Mansingh, and definitely not that sleazy bit with a creepy Sharifuddin. One does not  sully fairy dust with chuna and muck.
Silken bonds of longing: It  began when Jodha asks Jalal  Aap hamse kya baat karna chahte hain?  and lasted till the final shot, over 10 minutes later,  of them sitting over an angeethi  in the angoori bagh.
Communing with each other,  for  long stretches thru  silence that spoke more than words  ever could,  Jodha and Jalal tangled themselves in gossamer thin, silken strands of  longing for each other - strong and acknowleged on his side, nascent and still unacknowledged on hers. A longing  that was all the clearer for  never being voiced by either, or even  understood by her. Not yet.
Jodha: But  it  was there  when Jodha stopped Jalal,  when he rose to  take leave of her,with an abrupt Nahin! It was almost as if she had grabbed his hand and  held him back by main force.
It was there when she  forced  a protesting  Jalal  to take her out  to the angoori bagh.  Through an quintessentially feminine  combination of stubborn insistence that she would  go out there ( he must have been mightily pleased when she pouted Kyonki yahan par kisi vishkanya ki prashansa sun sunkar hamare kaan pak gaye hain) and an unprecedented  assertion of her wifely rights, as distinct from her status as a Shahi Begum. Aap hamare pati hain na? To hamein baahar nahin le ja sakte?  
Delightful, and Jalal,  initially taken aback by this new, possessive avatar of his Jodha Begum,  must have felt exactly the same as he held her close, if in a somewhat gingerly fashion,  and prepared to support and guide her out to the  garden
It is worth noting that this sudden yearning  of Jodha's  for the  great outdoors and  fresh air was nowhere in evidence when she was chatting comfortably  with Moti just before  Jalal arrived. Apni Jodha is no  slouch, after all,  when it comes to feminine wiles!
The hidden longing  was there again later, when, as they sat together in the garden,   she  looked across at him with shy eyes  that sank  at once when she caught  his steady gaze.
It was there in her half  smiles  of pure pleasure when he treated her like a Dresden porcelain figurine, when he fetched the angeethi for her, when he put an end to her anxious looking around  for him - kya wo vastav mein chale gaye? - by  suddenly appearing behind her and wrapping her, with careful tenderness, in a velvet shawl.
She clearly felt as cossetted and cared for as if he had pulled her into a warm, protective embrace, and she blossomed as never  before under such pampering. Which must have been  all  the sweeter after weeks spent  in the marubhoomi, the harsh desert to which she had been consigned  after  he had turned away from her after the night of the The Shove, and  she had had to watch, in escalating  horror,  as the threat to his life from Benazir came ever closer.
Weeks during which she realized that were he to die, life for her would be no longer worth living, and this no matter how he behaved with her. That  her marriage vow Aapse hi hamara sowbhagya hai  was now  true  in the spirit as much as  in the letter.
Jalal: The same longing  was there also in Jalal's persistent probing to find out why Jodha had done what she did: was it merely out of a sense of duty as his wife,   or was there, hopefully, something more to it? So  he begins by scolding her for her recklessness, only to be halted in his tracks by  her  calm  pronouncements: Aapko kuch nahin hua na? Hamare liye wohi paryapt tha... Humne socha aapko khone ke sthan par is marg  ko chunna hi theek hoga.
NB: He  should have zeroed in on the aapko khona, which is very significant, but his resentment at The Shove surfaces at this point: Kya dekhte, kya sunte Jodha Begum? Aapko yaad hoga, ek din  hum aapke hoojre mein aaye the.. kya kya nahin kaha aapne, humein dhakka tak de diya..khair..
But it is clear from the context - of his complaints about the   caprices of his begums,  and the impossibility of making out what they really mean from what they say- that he has now come round to classifying what he once saw as an unforgiveable insult under the head of feminine nakhras.
This reinforces my point, made in  an  earlier post, that while  it would be most desirable, there will no longer be any need for the mystery  of Jodha's paigham to be solved and brought to light.  The tidal wave of emotions unleashed within Jalal by Jodha's sacrifice has swept all before it, every past ranjish, gila aur shikwa.   
And that is the way ot should be, for when Jalal and Jodha finally accept each other fully, it should not be on the basis of proofs  that dispel past misunderstandings. It should be on the basis of faith that does not need  proof.
Jodha's eyes look anxious and troubled, but she  says nothing. She does not want to go down that road again. _________________________________________________________________________
The same longing is there in Jalal using Benazir as a  tool  to try and prise  Jodha's heart open. Which is why when she complains that he  never believed what she told him about Benazir,  he does not offer the most handy excuse, the milk test that failed. Instead, he trots out only the jealousy angle,  that too not, as he once said bitterly, because of him, kyonki aapne hamein kabhi apnaya hi nahin,  but only for rank and position.
When Jodha stoutly denies all of this,  it is  there again in  Jalal's  follow up question:  Aapne hamari jaan kyon bachayi?, and  the bright, questioning gaze that he fixes on her face. He  is like  a high stakes poker player risking all on a single throw.
Jodha-Jalal: It is there when  Jodha does not respond to Jalal's  question with her boilerplate formulations: patnidharma, maasa ko diya hua vachan,  vivah ke vachanon ka maan rakhna,  and that helpful omnibus  phrase, kartavya nibhana.  Instead, she lowers her eyes demurely and poses a counter query: Aap swayam ki sochiye ki humne aisa kyon kiya.  
Which was an answer in itself if Jalal had been  able to hear the unspoken words  Kaise nasamajh vyakti hain aap, Shahenshah! Kyonki hum aapke liye jaan de to sakte hain, parantu aapke bina jee nahin sakte.
He must have heard them for,  after hemming and hawing and fortifying himself with  circumlocutions - Agar aap yeh baat hamse poochengi to... hum kahenge ki... humein laga ki .. - finally ,  like  a rider  clearing a high fence in a rush,  he comes out with  Aapke dil mein hamare liye jagah hai.
Then,  it peeks out again in what  Jodha does not do. She does not say anything. But her eyes, raised slowly to meet his  in a limpid gaze, speak.  They  are not shy,  not dismissive,  and there is no withdrawal.  They are  direct and questioning, and underlying that is , if  only  Jalal could read it,   the silence that equals  consent.
Even  if Ruqaiya had actually barged in at this point, something would still have been gained from this truncated  exchange. But the gods willed that there should be much more, and so Ruqaiya stormed back, raging, to her own rooms.
Benazir: It was there in Jodha's  coming back again and again to Benazir, to try, in her turn,  to prise open Jalal's zehen  and see what there is there for her, Jodha.
It is there in her hesitating when he asks  - his eyes wide open in a  seemingly innocent query Kyon, koi wajah? - why she had disliked Benazir from the very beginning.  For she can hardly say because I could not stand your becoming so besotted with her. When she finally hits on an answer, it produces  an exquisitely funny moment.
Jalal watches her casting about for something plausible, his face carefully deadpan.  He must  have been in stitches when she launches into a scathing  attack on Benazir's dress sense, adding, for good measure Aise vastra bhi koyi pehanta hai bhala, aur wo bhi kisi aur ke pati ke saamne? (No prizes for guessing whose pati!). He turns aside to suppress  the bubbling  mirth inside him, as she continues to look at him in righteous indignation.  I can bet that this one will later  rank high in their collection of insider jokes!
It is  there when Jodha pillories Jalal  : Aapko Benazir mein itna kya nazar aaya ki aap us par itna aasakht ho gaye?  Is mahal mein  us se adhik sundar  aur bhi to theen! ( Unsaid: Me, in the first place!)
I am sure Jalal does  not understand what aasakht means;  but for watching DKD Mahadev, I would  not have known either that  it means attachment.  Not that he needs a translation; her tone of voice suffices!
When he claims that all the palace women  were jealous of Benazir's beauty, a decidedly grumpy  Jodha protests, her neck and  head moving in tandem with her voice, Kya keh rahe hain aap, Shahenshah? Itni sundar to nahin thi  wo!  (Unsaid: What deplorable taste you have, Shahenshah!)
But when he offers to take a kasam on himself  about the truth  of his statement,  the old panic about his wellbeing surges up in her and she pulls his hand down at once, concern for him darkening her face.  She  fears the consequences of a false kasam taken lightheartedly, and no way will she let his run that risk.
That, however, is not the end of Benazir. Jodha is at it again in the angoori bagh. She demurely watches her patidev  from under her long lashes  as he, having  gently settled her in the garden seat, looks here , there and everywhere - at the heavens, at the balustrade, at the ground, in short everywhere but at her  - as he moves sideways and perches himself on the other seat. From where he continues to look all around, as awkward as a teenager on his first date, rather than like an emperor with a harem full of beautiful women.
Jodha finally realises  that if this man is to be made to  do anything other than gaze at nature and palace architechture, she will have to take the initiative. So she clears her throat, and  begins with Shahenshah!  But  what is the momentous question she comes up with? Sach sach batayiye, ek Shahenshah ki tarah nahin par.. Kya Benazir aapko sach mein bahut sundar lagti thi?
Jalal (secretly delighted)   remarks  that she seemed to have fallen in  love with the woman, who is lingering  on in Jodha Begum's mind even after she had been finished off.  When Jodha insists  on an answer,  and Jalal begins with Agar aap apne sawaal ka jawaab chahti hain to.. ,  I was in stitches seeing  her wrap her pallu around her  shoulders and straighten up, preening herself expectantly.
Her crestfallen face, the half smile she forces  after a long moment of evident disappointment at his Haan, wo kaafi khubsoorat thi.. make Jalal, who has been watching her steadily  with a cat-at-the-mouse-hole  look, like a medieval Rhett Butler,  turn aside to hide his smile.
Yearnings of the heart: As they continue to sit there, with their hands,  spread out over the flames of the angeethi,  dancing a minuet of now touching, now not, Jodha confesses to herself what she was yearning to hear from him. Kaash hamare vishay mein bhi aapke yahi vichar hote! Ek baar kaha hota ki hum Benazir se sundar hain!
Having him call her sundar  is not the point. He has done it often enough before. It is that she wants to be  seen, in her husband's eyes, as more beautiful than Benazir.  This craving is not significant per se, but rather - though she still does not recognize it  -  as  a symbol  of what affects her now, the need to come first for Jalal.  Ahead of Benazir, whom she sees as having successfully  seduced  him with her beauty, and  soon,  perhaps, ahead of everyone else as well. For with nascent  love comes nascent possessiveness, and with possessiveness comes jealousy  of the competition.
Jalal was not so foolish after all with his jealousy tactic, and Benazir has been the catalyst that thawed our ice maiden.
Jalal is at a different stage of the journey. He is sure of his own feelings now, but unsure of hers,  and he will not make a single move towards greater intimacy unless Jodha gives him the signal. Whence  his sotto voce lament at the end :  Kaash hum aapko bata sakte ki hamare dil mein  kya hai.. Kaash aapne Benazir  ko hamari zindagi mein aane hi nahin diya hota. .. Kaash  aapne kabhi apni jagah hi chodi nahin hoti, ki Benazir to kya, koyi bhi nahin aa sake...
Who is to square this circle? It will have to be Jodha, since for Jalal, The Shove still stands as a solid roadblock.  She will have to do the running, and I hope her newly awakened feminine instincts tell when and how to do precisely that. The trip outside Agra to fulfil Jalal's mannat  for her recovery lies ahead, and should be a godsend. It is to be seen if she uses  it. The charming precap looks promising, despiter Storm Ruqaiya looming on the horizon.

For now, I am content with  the  treat we got on Friday. It was more   a triumph of  perfect coordination   between Rajat and Paridhi, who  played off each other  superbly, made  the words do their bidding and  got even the silences to  speak,   than even of the very charming and  beautifully written screenplay.
For those who feel that  all this  was too much too soon, or that it might not last, or that Jalal was still not looking the astute, dominating, decisive Shahenshah he was  not so long ago, I would say this.
Sufficient unto the day is the  beauty thereof. Magic should not be analysed, or parsed into nine columns like a grammar exercise. Magic should be exulted in for as long as it lasts.  And then, we should all say (with apologies to Oliver Twist): Please, Ma'am, may we have some more?
Moment of the day:  When Jalal replies to Jodha's sulky question about , who else, Benazir:  Aur agar usne aapko das liya hota  to ?  by asserting that she could never have done that (Ya, tell me another, buddy!), as there was only one Rajvanshi  with the taap  to do it.  Jodha first pouts in mock anger as Jalal looks at her from under his brows, eyes lambent with ill-suppressed mischief.  Slowly, the corners of his mouth widen in amusement, and Jodha reacts in sync with that, biting her lower lip as her eyes begin to crinkle with incipient laughter. His smile widens to a delighted grin and she matches it,  as both dissolve into silent,  shared mirth.
It  was a  rare moment of shared camaraderie that was a delight to behold. No wonder that when Jalal gets up to leave, Jodha comes  up with a resounding Nahin!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 169: Sunlight on a butterfly’s wings

Post by Manasvi on 2014-02-09, 13:10

Wonderful WU for a very beautiful episode. I agree, Rajat and Paridhi were so much in tune with each other. I have seen the scenes mentioned in your WU least 10 times and cant seem to get enough of it. Same with the soul talk between Jodha and Jalal. Their chemistry is simply sizzling now.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by yagavarthini on 2014-02-09, 13:53

The heart to heart talk was wonderful & it is bombarding me in my head like HEAVEN!  hug1 
if the CV did more the monologues on jo's silence that will be more wonderful moments Starry Love  Dance  Dance 

hope to see their monologues in their upcoming love scenes

yagavarthini
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiggy on 2014-02-09, 19:55

beautiful post for a beautiful episode..... 
kudos  Thumbsup

Jiggy
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by clarissasham on 2014-02-09, 20:46

Superb narration aunty ..with this write up you made those moments more colorful

I would say Friday episode will remain,as one of the best episode so far for me
..everything was perfect

clarissasham
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sandhya on 2014-02-10, 15:43

Aunty,
The episode and your post are as magical as these.

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-02-11, 18:13

Sandhya, how sweet of you to take the trouble to find these exquisite pictures for me! The first 2 are a perfect fit  too! Thank you, and I am very pleased that you liked my post so much.Shyamala Auntysandhya wrote:Aunty,
The episode and your post are as magical as these.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by suchee on 2014-02-11, 20:06

Wow... Im in total awe of ur writing...
I nvr liked JA. But aftr reading ur posts;i strted liking them....

suchee
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-02-12, 03:12

Now that, my dear Suchee, is a real compliment!Shyamala B.Cowsiksuchee wrote:Wow... Im in total awe of ur writing...
I nvr liked JA. But aftr reading ur posts;i strted liking them....

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Manasvi on 2014-02-12, 07:22

Language is very powerful, they say. And you prove it, Shyamala Chowsik. I am one of those people who gets floored by people who are articulate and have a command over one or more languages. i am totally imoressed by your amazing talent. How did you develop such an amazing talent? Did you get since when you were in school or is it an acquired one. Any pointers? I am very interested in honing my own skills.

Rajat Tokas is one other person who I am totally impressed by. He is an amazing actor, no doubt. That seems to be his passion. What I am totally amazed by is his command over dialogue delivery of very complex sounding Urdu words and after last night's episode, even the Marwari/Rajasthani language. He even gets the accent and the voice modulation so perfect. Some bundle of talent and all of 22. His Hindi is pretty good too.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-02-12, 10:58

Thank you so much, Manasvi. That was a real compliment.I love words for their own sake, whether in English, Hindi, Tamil (my mother tongue), French (my main foreign language), German or Spanish. In return, they  are kind to me from time to time. I was a professional Indian diplomat for 38 years till  I retired recently at 60. One of my young IF friends recently called a 10 year old article from The Hindu of March 2004 to my attention, and you might like to see that at http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/03/10/stories/2004031000460100.htm.The photo (lower one!) is still  a decent likeness!As for Rajat, the boy is a marvel, to the screen born. He is bound to migrate to the big screen soon, so we should enjoy him on a daily basis while we can. I had never seen him before this show, and he bowled me over in 3 episodes flat. You would not have seen my very first post on him, of June 30, 2013. It is at wrote:
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3647623
You might find it interesting.Shyamala B.CowsikManasviLanguage is very powerful, they say. And you prove it, Shyamala Chowsik. I am one of those people who gets floored by people who are articulate and have a command over one or more languages. i am totally imoressed by your amazing talent. How did you develop such an amazing talent? Did you get since when you were in school or is it an acquired one. Any pointers? I am very interested in honing my own skills.

Rajat Tokas is one other person who I am totally impressed by. He is an amazing actor, no doubt. That seems to be his passion. What I am totally amazed by is his command over dialogue delivery of very complex sounding Urdu words and after last night's  episode, even the Marwari/Rajasthani language. He even gets the accent and the voice modulation so perfect.  Some bundle of talent and all of 22. His Hindi is pretty good too.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Manasvi on 2014-02-12, 12:48

Thanks Shymala for sharing the 2 links. Read thru them. You are so amazing. I never miss out on any of your WU's. If you have a blog, would love to read it. If you dont, please start one. You have a fan in me for sure.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-02-12, 14:17

That is flattering, my dear, but I am hard put already to do these posts and respond to the comments on each of them, both here and much more so in the IF. I take about 3 hours to do a post and about 4 hours more to reply  to comments.This post was an unexpectedly popular one, running right now at 129 likes (I average 70) and 12525 viewings, for the forum is full of diehard romantics! But if I quit the IF for any reason and I am still writing for Jodha Akbar, I will think about a blog, and will be sure to let you know!Manasvi wrote:Thanks Shymala for sharing the 2 links. Read thru them. You are so amazing. I never miss out on any of your WU's. If you have a blog, would love to read it. If you dont, please start one. You have a fan in me for sure.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria J on 2014-02-12, 16:25

Loved reading u.. Awesome description of the scene   hug1

Maria J

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 07:01

Sponsored content