Latest topics

Replacing Karan was like a bomb blast in my head: Raqesh

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by slmu on 2014-02-23, 14:38

Raqesh Vashisth and Surbhi Jyoti

When Raqesh Vashisth and Surbhi Jyoti, who play Asad and Zoya on their show Qubool Hai, were recently in town, we had an interesting chat with the hot telly couple. Excerpts:

My wife says I'm in permanent mediation mode
Having moved from films to TV, Raqesh said that acting happened to him by default. "I come from an army background, and this was never the plan. I have never been a serious person who would make plans. I am a destiny's child, but my wife says that I am in permanent meditation mode, probably because I never lose my cool. She is a loud Punjabi girl and I am a quiet Madrasi boy. Ab kisi ko toh shaant rehna hoga na to maintain a good balance," he said.

I don't have the patience to wait for films
Talking of his experience of acting in films as compared to acting on television, he said, "I know that films are very different from TV, but I would like to ignore the difference. When my films did not work, I was in a very bad shape. I went back to Pune, cleaned my slate and came back with a bang with Saat Phere on TV. And that's when I realized that I don't have the patience to wait for films. TV keeps you on your toes, it's like a school for actors. When I started doing TV, I realized I was terrible in films. When you are on TV, it's almost like being on stage because you get the audience's reaction almost instantly. So, you can improvize, and have the option to correct yourself, if you feel you are going wrong."

Replacing Karan was like a bomb blast in my head
On replacing Karan Singh Grover for Asad's role in December 2013, he said, "It was like a bomb blast in my head. I was excited about the role, but I was apprehensive. So, when the audience had trouble accepting me as Asad, I knew that it was bound to happen. TV fans get emotionally attached to the characters. There were hate mails on social networking sites, people did not want to accept me as Asad so easily, but I decided not to let criticism affect me. I focussed on my work and forgot about the rest."

His co-star Surbhi added, "When I heard about Karan leaving the show and Raqesh replacing him, even I got scared. So, the day I was supposed to start shooting with Raqesh, he came to me and said, 'Yaar, I am very nervous,' and I said, 'Yaar, even I am nervous'. People would ask me, 'Do you really miss Karan? How can you work with him?'. But Raqesh did his homework before he started to shoot and he was really good. And since Asad's character did not undergo any change, I had no problems whatsoever."

On TV, you have to create complications for longevity
On TV, has it become a formula where the lead characters fight, marry, suffer, separate and then reunite, we asked the actors. To answer this, Raqesh said, "It is not a three-hour film. So for longevity, sometimes, you have to create all these complications. For the plot to stay interesting, and to ensure that the producers don't lose their money, you have to add twists and turns to keep it going. When your viewers are hooked to your show, that's how it manages to run. On an average, a show has to run for at least two years to be considered a success. And we belong to a country where people love to watch Bigg Boss. We are gossipmongers by nature and love drama. So, that's probably what keeps the audience interested."

Yeh mere kapde hain, mera character nahi
When asked if Zoya, who was a rebel in the beginning and had to mellow down during the course of the show, Surbhi said, "We (Asad and Zoya) made a deal that we won't ask each other to change anything about ourselves. So, it's not been an issue. But yes, Mr Khan had to mellow down a bit. Initially, he was against the way my character dressed up. But I made it clear to him that 'Yeh mere kapde hain, mera character nahi'. So, if anyone had to compromise, it's Mr Khan." "Men always have to mellow down," added Vashisth, and Jyoti remarked, "Yeh bola asli mard."

Our show is portraying the true image of Muslim community
Talking about how Qubool Hai has moved away from all the cliches related to Islam, Raqesh said, "When it comes to Islam, there are so many stereotypes. But when I saw this show, I thought it was path-breaking."

"Our show is portraying the true image of the Muslim community. Zoya is a Muslim woman, who moves around in jeans and flaunts a cool haircut. Zoya is modern, progressive and at the same time, is familiar with the traditions. She offers namaz and knows everything about her culture. The show deals with women's empowerment," Surbhi added."Had we been following the stereotypes, toh phir toh Zoya burkhe mein hoti. Kisi ko bhi cast kar lete phir toh," joked Raqesh.

I was offered the role of Arjun in Mahabharat
Raqesh has had his share of roles that he rejected and the shows that he feels he shouldn't have done, Raqesh said, "I regret doing Honge Juda na Hum with Aamna Sharif. It was a cliched show. It was a good script to start with, but then it just fell apart. I was offered the role of Arjun in Mahabharat, but I didn't see myself as Arjun. Also, I don't want to do a mythological show. I would rather play a modern version of Shiva with all the shades to his personality."

*TOI

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Re: Replacing Karan was like a bomb blast in my head: Raqesh

Post by Maria J on 2014-02-23, 14:47

TFS Shanti  long hug

Maria J

Back to top Go down

Re: Replacing Karan was like a bomb blast in my head: Raqesh

Post by slmu on 2014-02-23, 14:49