Latest topics

AA:Divya keeps family, town image in mind

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AA:Divya keeps family, town image in mind

Post by --sumana13-- on 2014-03-17, 15:44

Divyanka Tripathi seems to be the new favourite bahu on television. Although from Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, the actress convincingly pulls of the role of a South Indian homemaker in Ye Hai Mohabbatein. But it isn’t as easy as it look, she admits. “Since I am from Bhopal, I have strong command over Hindi. For the role I have to keep reminding myself that I can’t be as fluent as I naturally am. I also have a Tamil tutor who keeps giving me new words that I can blend with my dialogues. Khoob sara rat leti hoon. (There’s a lot of mugging up I do), she says.

Working in television means working long hours and giving up on a personal life. For Divyanka, the biggest sacrifice is films. “I am a huge movie-buff but I just don’t get the time to watch them anymore. I barely get time to sleep or exercise, so movies are way behind on the list right now. There was a time when I would catch all the new releases on the first day itself, but now I just skip most of them even weeks after they have hit the theatres,” rues the actress.

But there’s a silver lining here. Thanks to the amount of time she’s spending on the sets, Divyanka has started treating her onscreen parents as her real ones. “My colleagues have become my family. Whenever I have a scene with my onscreen amma and appa (Neena Kulkarni and Abhay Bhargava respectively) I get super happy,” she admits. As for her real family, her brother is a huge fan of the show, she tells us. “My brother is 20 years old. There was a time when he would only watch Channel V and MTV. But now he watches my show as well and that is a great feeling,” she says.

The actress lives alone in Mumbai and although she misses her folks, is glad that don’t live with her. “I’m happier with them in Bhopal. Otherwise I would constantly worry about what they would think about me returning home late at night after the shoot. Now that they are away, I can give the show as many hours as required. When I miss home, I fly to Bhopal for 2-3 days.”

After starting off with the daily soap Banoo Mein Teri Dulhan, Divyanka had dabbled with comedy and says that is coming of use to her now. She explains, “My current show is not a hardcore drama; that’d be boring. There are comic elements and my experience on comedy shows comes in handy there.”

While her bond with her onscreen daughter Ruhi (Ruhanika Dhawan) has been appreciated by the audience, Divyanka says off screen too, she is protective about her. “I don’t like people using foul language when she is around. Even when we aren’t shooting, I hold her hand most of the time because I actually feel like her real mother.”

While there have been constant rumours about the actress is planning to marry Banoo Mein Teri Dulhan co-star Sharad Malhotra, the actress continues to deny the news. She says, “I am single. I will marry on a whim and it will be a lavish affair. I hail from a small town, which is why I don’t like to talk about my relationships. In the village everyone knows each other and I don’t want to spoil my family or my town’s image, which is why I prefer not to discuss it,” she clarifies.

Mar 15, 2014 - Natasha Coutinho | Age Correspondent

Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum