Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 204: Shahenshah in the suds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 204: Shahenshah in the suds

Post by sashashyam on 2014-03-28, 11:29

Folks,

I am very sorry if I  end up raining on your parade, as I  expect  that almost everyone here is ecstatic about the Great Hoojra Scene. But let me still put down my take on it, if only for the record. It goes without saying that none of you has to agree with any of it.

Let me first dispose of the one part on which I would agree with those ecstatic about it all.  The foot caressing scene was exquisite, because Rajat made it so. There was sensuality, yes, of a delicate kind, but that was not all, or even the most important part. It was the gentle possessiveness, the tenderness, the slow shake of the head that is a sign of inebriation. And the most touching of all, which makes one's heart turn over, the fathomless sadness in his eyes as he looks down at the sleeping Jodha.Those eyes hold all his  unfulfilled dreams about their relationship. It was not for nothing that the camera focussed throughout on Jalal's face in a tight closeup.

There is no point comparing this scene to the Paakeezah one, for there was no foot caressing there (with a stranger in the train, tauba, tauba!) and then we had Raaj Kumar's deep enunciation of those lovely  lines, repeated later in Meena Kumari's voice like liquid honey. There was no acting at all. Whereas here it was like the silent movies at their very best.

To revert, the latter part of the hoojra  scene, with Jalal on the bed. was not a patch on the earlier  segment. The only significant point was that The Dhakka came  back, not in a semi-casual, almost joking manner as it has of late, but with its full quota of hurtfulness. The scene with the mystery man in the hut and the dhakka reinforce each other, and so the bitterness in Jalal's voice as he says Is baar to aapke dhakke ke bina hi gir gaye. Aapki cheezon ko bhi meri kadar nahin hai.

Apart from this, I found today's episode fatiguing. Jalal was worse than disappointing. I do not like an emperor who

(a) cannot hold his liquor, and  still drinks himself silly (all this Devdas stuff is beyond pathetic. But Rajat looked infinitely sad as he looked at the sleeping Jodha after he had finished the Paakeezah part),

(b) makes a habit of  falling down in  Jodha's rooms and then being unable to get up (I hated that during the dhakka, and I hated it now, He is  an emperor, for Heaven's sake, not  a low  life drunkard in a tavern. He does not invite either sympathy or  empathy,  he looks ridiculous),

(c) cannot get a grip on his moods (what would he do if Agra was attacked that evening? Fall down at the fort entrance and babble about his being unable to stand someone having lied to him?), and

(d) makes an absolute cake of himself  because, deep down, he  is afraid she is cheating on him with the mystery man, so he asserts all the more loudly that she can do no wrong in order to drown out  that little inner voice.

As for Jodha's sudden fit of melancholy because Jalal went off to Ruqaiya, his first wife , it looked so out of the blue that I suspect that, as I always used to say, the CVs have now put up a placard in the scripting room that reads :Jalal aur Jodha ki amar prem kahani ab shuru ho gayi hai! Yaad rahe!!

Firstly, it was very strange, seeing that she is still not willing to let him even tug at her aanchal, not to speak of anything more intimate. Yet she has objections to his dallying with his other  wives . Moreover, all Rajvanshi kings had several wives, often running to 20 or even 40. So Jodha should be used to the idea of all the wives sharing their royal husband. It is decidedly odd that she suddenly starts moping because Jalal is following  this time honoured custom.

To my mind the real reason for her all too genuine depression not that she has been struck by Manmata's  arrows. It is far more likely  that

(1) she is missing all the bhav  Jalal gave her and  the effusive praise he constantly showered on her, and

(2) she is missing even more the Jalal whom she really valued, the obedient, enthusiastic, grateful pupil who listened with rapt attention to all her bhashans, took all her maxims to be Holy Writ, and chanted Aap bajah farmati hain, Jodha Begum as if it was his favourite mantra.

The only good thing about the hoojra scene, except the foot caressing part, of course, was that I had predicted (jocularly, it is true) that Jalal would fall off the bed, and he did. We surely deserve better than repetitive drunken scenes and Shahenshah, hamara aanchal chhodiye  when her aanchal stuck in his (limp) hand (or Rahim's. on the last such occasion)

Lastly, the CVs outdid themselves with a Sujamal in drag wandering the Agra palace corridors at the dead of night, with the self-declared aim of locating the mystery plotter he had spotted with Abul Mali. What does he expect,that he will be standing in one of the corridors. exchanging sinister whispers about the next attempt on Jalal's life with his co-conspirators? It was not even funny.

Shyamala /Aunty

EXPLANATORY EXTRACT  FROM MY MINI-POST ON THE PREVIOUS EPISODE 203

As for the precap, it will air all right, but our hero with get a jhatka when he comes to his senses and realises that it was Ruqaiya  besides him after all.

But would it not be great fun if it was for real? Just like I was contemplating a scene of Sujamal falling out of that tree right on top  of Abul Mali, I was today imagining Jodha's reaction if she wakes up suddenly and finds her patidev 6 inches away.

1) She will regress, and begin with Aap yahan, is samay?  while regarding him as if he was a caterpillar in her dinner plate. Then she will launch into a peroration about stree ke  liye lalasa. mauke ka anuchit upayog, & ashobaniya aacharan,  Not because she feels like that, but like  a pre-programmed  robot, out of sheer habit. 

This torrent of livid verbiage will jog Jalal out of his reverie and, seeing that it is only his Gatti after all, he will sigh resignedly. Or

2) She will look at him with dark, veiled eyes like Waheeda Rahman in Chaudhavin ka Chand ( I am sure you have no idea what I am talking about,but if you can, watch the title song of that film. It simply defines effortless, delicate sensuousness) and then slowly turn her head away,  languidly, inviting him to follow. Poor Jalal will be so shocked at this unexpected come-hitherness  from his touch-me-not biwi that he will jerk backwards and  fall off the bed.

At which point, he will awaken from his fantasy  ( this is the same in both options), see that it is Ruqaiya, and will begin worrying about whether he had called her Jodha Begum by mistake.

Jalal has to get out this habit of calling Jodha by her name with totally unnecessary frequency. If one has so many begums, it is good policy never to call any of them by their names, especially during ratri vyateets. It would be much safer!

By the way, I wonder why Paridhi used mauve lipstick. It looks too dark.

Finally, I loved the graceful Paakeezah touch at the beginning. Touching her pretty alta stained foot,which she draws back instinctively. Do you remember/know the lines from the film that went with that scene?

Aapke paanv dekhe. Bahut haseen hain. Inhe zameen par mat utariyega. Maile ho jayenge.

===================================================================

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 204: Shahenshah in the suds

Post by JAISMINE on 2014-03-28, 13:16

sashashyam wrote:Folks,

I am very sorry if I  end up raining on your parade, as I  expect  that almost everyone here is ecstatic about the Great Hoojra Scene. But let me still put down my take on it, if only for the record. It goes without saying that none of you has to agree with any of it.

Let me first dispose of the one part on which I would agree with those ecstatic about it all.  The foot caressing scene was exquisite, because Rajat made it so. There was sensuality, yes, of a delicate kind, but that was not all, or even the most important part. It was the gentle possessiveness, the tenderness, the slow shake of the head that is a sign of inebriation. And the most touching of all, which makes one's heart turn over, the fathomless sadness in his eyes as he looks down at the sleeping Jodha.Those eyes hold all his  unfulfilled dreams about their relationship. It was not for nothing that the camera focussed throughout on Jalal's face in a tight closeup.    Starry Love  Starry Love  Starry Love 

There is no point comparing this scene to the Paakeezah one, for there was no foot caressing there (with a stranger in the train, tauba, tauba!) and then we had Raaj Kumar's deep enunciation of those lovely  lines, repeated later in Meena Kumari's voice like liquid honey. There was no acting at all. Whereas here it was like the silent movies at their very best.

To revert, the latter part of the hoojra  scene, with Jalal on the bed. was not a patch on the earlier  segment. The only significant point was that The Dhakka came  back, not in a semi-casual, almost joking manner as it has of late, but with its full quota of hurtfulness. The scene with the mystery man in the hut and the dhakka reinforce each other, and so the bitterness in Jalal's voice as he says Is baar to aapke dhakke ke bina hi gir gaye. Aapki cheezon ko bhi meri kadar nahin hai........seriously.....poor guy no one respects him at all. No 

Apart from this, I found today's episode fatiguing. Jalal was worse than disappointing. I do not like an emperor who

(a) cannot hold his liquor, and  still drinks himself silly (all this Devdas stuff is beyond pathetic. But Rajat looked infinitely sad as he looked at the sleeping Jodha after he had finished the Paakeezah part),  eggjactly...agar mar gaya toh sultanat ka kya hoge....as it is he's heirless.. Question  Question  Question 

(b) makes a habit of  falling down in  Jodha's rooms and then being unable to get up (I hated that during the dhakka, and I hated it now, He is  an emperor, for Heaven's sake, not  a low  life drunkard in a tavern. He does not invite either sympathy or  empathy,  he looks ridiculous),  that was the best scene...I laughed until my jaws started paining.. ROFL 

(c) cannot get a grip on his moods (what would he do if Agra was attacked that evening? Fall down at the fort entrance and babble about his being unable to stand someone having lied to him?), and

(d) makes an absolute cake of himself  because, deep down, he  is afraid she is cheating on him with the mystery man, so he asserts all the more loudly that she can do no wrong in order to drown out  that little inner voice.

As for Jodha's sudden fit of melancholy because Jalal went off to Ruqaiya, his first wife , it looked so out of the blue that I suspect that, as I always used to say, the CVs have now put up a placard in the scripting room that reads :Jalal aur Jodha ki amar prem kahani ab shuru ho gayi hai! Yaad rahe!!

Firstly, it was very strange, seeing that she is still not willing to let him even tug at her aanchal, not to speak of anything more intimate. Yet she has objections to his dallying with his other  wives . Moreover, all Rajvanshi kings had several wives, often running to 20 or even 40. So Jodha should be used to the idea of all the wives sharing their royal husband. It is decidedly odd that she suddenly starts moping because Jalal is following  this time honoured custom......hmm she's a weird girl,n her mood swings are beyond any scientific or logical explanation Question  Question 

To my mind the real reason for her all too genuine depression not that she has been struck by Manmata's  arrows. It is far more likely  that

(1) she is missing all the bhav  Jalal gave her and  the effusive praise he constantly showered on her, and

(2) she is missing even more the Jalal whom she really valued, the obedient, enthusiastic, grateful pupil who listened with rapt attention to all her bhashans, took all her maxims to be Holy Writ, and chanted Aap bajah farmati hain, Jodha Begum as if it was his favourite mantra. .......yup Jallal has totally spoilt her

The only good thing about the hoojra scene, except the foot caressing part, of course, was that I had predicted (jocularly, it is true) that Jalal would fall off the bed, and he did. We surely deserve better than repetitive drunken scenes and Shahenshah, hamara aanchal chhodiye  when her aanchal stuck in his (limp) hand (or Rahim's. on the last such occasion)

Lastly, the CVs outdid themselves with a Sujamal in drag wandering the Agra palace corridors at the dead of night, with the self-declared aim of locating the mystery plotter he had spotted with Abul Mali. What does he expect,that he will be standing in one of the corridors. exchanging sinister whispers about the next attempt on Jalal's life with his co-conspirators? It was not even funny.

Shyamala /Aunty

EXPLANATORY EXTRACT  FROM MY MINI-POST ON THE PREVIOUS EPISODE 203

As for the precap, it will air all right, but our hero with get a jhatka when he comes to his senses and realises that it was Ruqaiya  besides him after all.

But would it not be great fun if it was for real? Just like I was contemplating a scene of Sujamal falling out of that tree right on top  of Abul Mali, I was today imagining Jodha's reaction if she wakes up suddenly and finds her patidev 6 inches away.

1) She will regress, and begin with Aap yahan, is samay?  while regarding him as if he was a caterpillar in her dinner plate. Then she will launch into a peroration about stree ke  liye lalasa. mauke ka anuchit upayog, & ashobaniya aacharan,  Not because she feels like that, but like  a pre-programmed  robot, out of sheer habit. 

This torrent of livid verbiage will jog Jalal out of his reverie and, seeing that it is only his Gatti after all, he will sigh resignedly. Or

2) She will look at him with dark, veiled eyes like Waheeda Rahman in Chaudhavin ka Chand ( I am sure you have no idea what I am talking about,but if you can, watch the title song of that film. It simply defines effortless, delicate sensuousness) and then slowly turn her head away,  languidly, inviting him to follow. Poor Jalal will be so shocked at this unexpected come-hitherness  from his touch-me-not biwi that he will jerk backwards and  fall off the bed. .... ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL  ROFL 

At which point, he will awaken from his fantasy  ( this is the same in both options), see that it is Ruqaiya, and will begin worrying about whether he had called her Jodha Begum by mistake.

Jalal has to get out this habit of calling Jodha by her name with totally unnecessary frequency. If one has so many begums, it is good policy never to call any of them by their names, especially during ratri vyateets. It would be much safer!

By the way, I wonder why Paridhi used mauve lipstick. It looks too dark.

Finally, I loved the graceful Paakeezah touch at the beginning. Touching her pretty alta stained foot,which she draws back instinctively. Do you remember/know the lines from the film that went with that scene?

Aapke paanv dekhe. Bahut haseen hain. Inhe zameen par mat utariyega. Maile ho jayenge.

===================================================================

JAISMINE
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by neha on 2014-03-28, 15:49

Aunty, you cracked me up  ROFL 

The boy is well trained, he removed his jooti's before entering her room though he was dead drunk  Wink ....I'm glad he remembered the DHAKKA and did not give her a chance to accuse him of taking advantage of her. What is with this lady ? She is beyond my understanding ! She does not like him spending time with Ruqaiya and when he comes to her she starts chanting her ridiculous "Ham aapka samman karate hai...Parantu...." This kintu and parantu of her have made him look like a fool !!

neha
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2014-03-28, 18:05

Shyamala loved reading your post ... Bit I must tell you this was the most sensuous romantic foot touching scene I have ever seen ..
Heart Heart 
Jalal has some thing for her pretty feet .. Jodha felt conscious of his stare .. I recall how she self consciously withdrew her feet ..covered them up with her ghaagra ...during the Palki travel while they were going on visit to Salim Chishti in plain clothes
 Starry Love 

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2014-03-28, 21:27

I so agree with you the reasons for Jodhas reactions...she misses the importance he was giving her...used to hear mahanta statements from him...I hope Jallu keeps up this act for some more time  Evil or Very Mad 

so right it doesnt suit a shahenshah..pathetic writing..sigh I keep saying the same

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:30

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum