Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 208-209: Plumbing new depths 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 208-209: Plumbing new depths 2

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-04, 14:11

Folks,

I have not done anything new as a standalone post, for the episodes were just not worth it. But   below is a  collage of the brief comments I had made on these episodes,  and a new promo that has apparently been aired only in the US, but not in India,  on my own last thread in the IF, which now stands at 104 pages.

I hope you enjoy at least parts of this cut and paste effort.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Episode 208:

As for this last episode, the less said the better. When Jodha was talking of how Shahenshah ke liye mere man mein bhavanayein jag  gayee hain( why on earth can the girl not say simply unse prem karti hoon?)she looked as it she was pleased at  having discovered a nice new eatery. Not like a woman newly, shyly, tremulously in  love for the first time.

And when Jalal was telling Mahaam how he is losing his sleep because Jodha will not, of her own accord, tell him what she was up to, even Rajat could not salvage the scene. He was as flat as a pancake - there was no anguish in either his face or his voice. I have never ever seen him so before. Poor chap, the script is doing him in.

As for Sujamal/Dilawar, apart from the  bizarre notion of  a Hindu way of washing one's hands, they also showed him looking at the meat at the centre of the platter as if he  was put off it because he was a vegetarian. Since when have Rajput princes been vegetarian? Why, they used to feast on the proceeds of their aakhet, principally venison, and in any case, they were practically all  non-vegetarians. The women, maybe,  but not as rule, but the men,  very rarely. Meerabai was said to have  had problems in her sasural,  the royal house of Mewar, because she would insist  on cooking only vegetarian meals.

As for Dilawar being asked to press Ruqaiya's feet, what was  the big deal with that? Once he adopts a fake identity, he has to go along with the requirements of that identity. Did Jalal not lift Jodha's palki in Amer? No one said anything then.  In any case, surely Bakshi Banu would have needed to have had her feet pressed, most expectant mothers do from time to time.

The Mahaam-Adham scene was interesting, psychologically speaking. Ashwini was convincing when she is driven into a dead end, and desperate. Till the very end,she  asserts that she will not let anything happen to Jalal, but then she talks of seizing the throne from Jalal and giving it to Adham. I could make head or tail of that.

But it seems that Atgah Khan's murder by Adham, and Adham's execution for that crime are both drawing close. But then what will happen to Mahaam?Surely they will not let go of their prima black widow spider so soon?

Shyamala/ Aunty

Posted: 03 April 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged
THE NEW PROMO

Folks,

It has not yet been aired in India yet, but I took a look at it online and here are my comments,  for whatever they are worth.

I was not surprised by Jalal going down on his knees, saying Humne aapko thes pahunchayi hai, Jodha Begin, hamein  maaf kar dijiye.  He must be so profoundly grateful to learn that she was not meeting a gair mard after all  (who cares if the non-gair mard has attacked Mughal territory without provocation, and conquered it, killing two of Jalal's relatives!) that if he had been taught to do so , he would have done a shaashtaang namaskar!

Jokes apart, the whole idea of a man kneeling before  a woman was completely  alien to that age. It is an imported Western concept that has no place in an Indian  historical set in the 16th century. Even in the West, I cannot imagine Henry VIII or one of the Louises of France kneeling before any of the women they loved under any circumstances, no matter what their own mistake had been . And here, Jalal is  not to be blamed at all for cracking under the strain in the end. If he should be blamed for anything, it should be for not having questioned Jodha, calmly but firmly, a lot earlier.

2) If he is going to kiss her, he is going to have to deal with her cartwheel of a nose ring. I do not see how anyone could kiss a woman sporting that thing.

3) In the final embrace scene, Jalal is surely  standing on a box of sorts. He is only as tall as Jodha , and here he looks to be half a head taller.

Shyamala/Aunty/Akka

Episode 209:

I don't know about Jodha falling in love - it looks more like a prescription than  a fact. In the precap tonight, she looked completely blank  - whether when when Jalal  was accusing her, bitterly,  of having despoiled  his love for her with her zinakari,  or when he was telling her, with a spasm of fresh pain, to get out of Agra and stay out. There was NO expression on her face at all. I did not know what to make of it.

And when he barges into her rooms chasing Dilawar Khan, she looks guilty enough to invite capital punishment. Any female with an ounce of brains and wanting so desperately to save her Bhaisa' s life would have told Jalal, in 10 seconds flat:  Woh mere Sujamal Bhaisa hain aur woh mujhe batane aaye the ki mahal ke andar hi koyi aapki jaan  lena chahta hai. . But no, of course she will not do anything so sensible.

And what was it with that contemptuous Aap Rajvanshi hokar ek khwaja sera ke bhesh mein kaise aa sakte hain?  Kya apni Jodha ke liye khwaja sera manushya nahin hain?  To unke prati itni grhina kyon? Her patented lectures about humanism and the equality of all mankind are presumably meant only for the Mughals.

I know all of you must be delighted to see Jalal in a fury, but I thought he looked like a keyed up Energiser bunny, with his nose scrunched up and his chin set in a square line. They are making him act like a programmed robot - loud in blind anger, eyes glaring, and fury driving him to charge about like  a mad bull in the Pamplona bullrun.

Rajat can do much, much better than this if he was only allowed a free rein: snarl with  silken menace, lips drawn back  from his teeth in a terrifying mirthless smile. This evening's charging about  reminded me of nothing so much as the time when he was chasing the intruder in the harem, who was of course a drunken  Adham Khan after Motibai. Oh, for the Jalal of the earlier episodes, even the foot cutting one! Anything would be better than this version.

The only saving grace was the wrenching anguish he brought to the scene in the precap. The contrast between Jalal and Jodha, in terms of performance,  was never more marked.

Shyamala Aunty

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 208-209: Plumbing new depths 2

Post by pollyanna on 2014-04-04, 15:33

Thanku so much for such a fabulous post aunty...agree with each n every word u have penned down here....I just cant bring myself to watch such pedestrian performance by Rajat and Pari...they are so flat.....feel like they are just not anymore keyed in this show......

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-04, 16:34

That is really the problem, Pallavi my dear. They seem spaced out, and she much more than he, because she is a far more limited actor. Morever, the direction was sadly lacking in the scenes of Jalal going after Sujamal, like an Energiser bunny.Shyamala Auntypollyanna wrote:Thanku so much for such a fabulous post aunty...agree with each n every word u have penned down here....I just cant bring myself to watch such pedestrian performance by Rajat and Pari...they are so flat.....feel like they are just not anymore keyed in this show......

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 05:54

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum