Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 214: The meltdown- Part 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 214: The meltdown- Part 1

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-11, 16:39

Folks,
I was mightily pleased last night to see that at long last, most of my predictions in the main post on my last  thread have  been proved right in toto. Since it is not often that this happens, I am breaking open the bubbly. In any  case I will need at least 3 champagne flutes to get thru what awaits us tonight !
Let me refresh your memory about these predictions;
1)       Rajat pulling out all the stops for Jalal's Majnun act &
2)      Jalal being lectured by Hamida Banu, Salima Begum, Jijianga ,and possibly Javeda and the palace cat as well (someone actually asked me whether there was a cat  in the palace!), about what they will insist was  his  unwarranted cruelty towards Jodha, and the need for him to make immediate reparation. Since he will feel exactly the same by then, he will cry a few more bucketfuls.
The Soliloquy: I was so pleasantly taken aback, and hopeful, as were so many of  you, seeing the unusually clear and logical phrasing of  Jalal's soliloquy in front  of Jodha's portrait, which was  in fact unbelievable by JA standards.  As also by his intensely moving, and dignified vilaap - candid and holding nothing back, offering no facile excuses, but not letting her go scot free either.
The deep voice rose and fell, at times thickening with pain and regret,  at times almost too husky to make out.  The little catch in it as he says that as it is his pehli  mohabbat, he has no mohabbat ka tajurba, is so understated,  and it is such a  throwaway line, and yet it made my heart turn over  in empathy.
His face was  furrowed with both grief and plaintive protest, but it retained  its dignity and never descended to being maudlin. . I was left wondering who had written those lines for him.
This was regardless of my reservations about his assertion that she had always sambhalofied  him, as they were a happily married, well adjusted couple of longstanding, and as if there had never been nasooors like the dhakka  between them. Not to speak of the edgy tentativeness of all their interactions, with absolutely no demonstrative affection, or even ease from her side, and the constant worry about being accused of SKLL on his.  
What this showed is that Jalal is  now clearly inhabiting a vision of his life with Jodha that is  a pleasing, though fictional mental construct, no more. But the point is that he has begun to believe in this  version, like  man lost in roseate opium-fuelled fantasies.
He was also going on   about her vafadari aur mohabbat,  which too made wonder what he had been smoking. For to the best of my recollection, there had been no asareeri (voice from the heavens) informing him that Jodha Begum had now discovered that she had abundant  prem  for him.
But of course, as is invariably the case in this benighted show,  Jalal's  good sense and logic were short-lived, and withered and died under the blast of his Ammijaan's fiery (and totally  inconsistent, but that is the one consistent element in Jodha Akbar!) rhetoric.  He promptly started giving his best take on an ice cream left out in the sun.
It was pathetic, his inability  to point out to his foolish mother - with whom he can be as distant and cutting as he wants when he so chooses, even recently - that he had had ample reason for what he did, and that he had  been unbelievably patient for so long.
As for her comment about the need for him to be able  to recognize good from bad, the track record of the family in the matter of sons in law does not inspire confidence, does it ? And then he could have told  her that when she herself had made the same accusation against her Jodha beta, it was he who had stood by Jodha, and that too without any evidence.
In Majnun  mode: The Majnun part, with Jalal watering  Jodha's scrawny tulsi plant with his tears (and thus practically ensuring its imminent demise) does not merit any comment,  except that this kind of  constantly watery-eyed grief   does not suit Rajat, otherwise a master of emotions at any  level. I might be a jurassic specimen, incapable of appreciating the Sensitive New Age Man (well, medieval man, to be precise!), but I do not like men crying.
The scene where Jalal  vainly tried to catch his mother's eye before mounting his horse was the worst of all. I am sure Rajat could do a magisterial take  on inner pain, guilt and despair with dry eyes, and do it a lot better than this whipped schoolboy act. But he will not be allowed to try that, more is the pity.
Ruqaiya-Salima: As for the accompanying, and entirely  predictable pronouncements  by Ruqaiya and Salima, they do not merit any comment either. The latter is now setting up  as the resident Obi wan Kenobi of the Agra palace, with the active backing of Jalal (and Jodha too once she is back).
Her vicious jealousy of Bairam Khan's first wife, Rahim's mother,  right up to the latter's death, is now long buried and forgotten. But I do wonder how supportive of Jodha she would have been if she had wanted Jalal for herself as a real husband. Not much, I would bet! Now that would have been an interesting twist!
What stayed with me from this segment was Ruqaiya's silent double take when Salima tells Jalal that she knows ki aap Jodha Begum se bahut mohabbat karte hain,  and her lifeline of a dil- less Jalal is lost for ever. Another was the genuine, frozen despair in her face as Jalal announces that he will go in search of Jodha and will not return without her. She has guessed this already, and said as much to Mahaam, but coming face to face with it is  something else.
Wild goose chase to Amer :Jalal  riding at breakneck speed to Amer, only  to draw a blank there. This only shows that his pehli mohabbat has sadly depleted his grey cells. The shrewd and savvy tactician he once was would have remembered Mainavati's last bhashan,  that she would close her doors to a parityakta Jodha,  and concluded  that Jodha would never go there. He  could have spared himself  (or rather his horses) the trouble.
My bet is that Mainavati will blame Jodha  and Jalal will defend her,  while indulging in yet another bout of self-flagellation.  The Amer lot, especially Bharmal,  will curse Sujamal,  roundly and with good reason,  for having created this imbroglio, while Jalal defends Sujamal  as well and lauds him for saving  his life.
So off Jalal will  go now,  on  the real chase, which in practical terms,  even today and so much more so in that age,  would closely resemble  searching for a needle in a haystack. He will of course find her, safe and sound, but that is only because the CVs will it so. It is NOT what is the most likely fate to befall her.
Jodha:What Jodha  has done  is not just childish, it is profoundly irresponsible, She, a lone and beautiful woman, wandering all over the countryside with no resources , would be exposed to all sorts of very real dangers that could end up destroying her body and soul. It is exactly like a teenager today who runs away from home in a huff, and if  he/she is not lucky, ends up  as the puppet of a  criminal gang and is used for their sordid ends.
But of course no one is going to point that out.
Right now, Jodha  seems ensconced snugly atop a haystack, thus going one up on Nirupa Roy, who generally restricted herself to city pavements.
She is presumably subsisting on fresh air and the  abundant prem  she suddenly announced that she now feels for the Shahenshah. (I was dumbfounded by this sudden, giant leap from bhavanayein putting out their little shoots like  snowdrops after winter,    but bahut prem? Does she even know what that is? )
This despite the   Shahenshah   having  given her bahut dukh by not looking deep into  her eyes  (courageously risking another dhakka ) and divining that she meant something very different from what she said and  what she did not say.
The best form of defence is offence: Jodha has by now refined and finalized her defence  strategy, which consists of going on the offensive without the least hesitation. Gone with the wind is the confession to her antaraatma that it was her silence that was the real cause of all this mess, and that  given the circumstances, Jalal's  anger was only to be expected. Now, it is all Jalal's fault for not divining,  in a burst of clairvoyance, what she had  really meant. 
The funny thing is that 450 years down the road, Jodha's rooh is if anything even more aggressive in pursuing this line of attack Aapko dekhna chahiya tha, par nahin.. Aapne hamare moun  ko hamaar apradh  samajh liya..aur hamare prem ko  paap. Bang!  Knockout blow!
And Jalal's rooh is  as submissive and as ready for self-flagellation as ever, closely resembling a Chinese Communist Party cadre at a public, self-corrective exercise.
A question about Jodha: But the question that haunts me, and to which I seek an answer is this. Does Jodha, so ready to feel her own, and  justified outrage and pain, at all understand what Jalal must have been going through these last few days because he loves her? Does she even glimpse,  not to speak of grasp,  the horrendous agony that racks him because of what she has been doing, which drives him almost insane with jealous rage?  Does she understand how  she is in good measure responsible for what he does in the end?
It does not seem to me that any of these questions can be answered  with a Yes.  If not, then what sort of a love is it  that  she now claims to feel for him, a love that cannot read the heart of the loved one, cannot see things thru  his eyes,  cannot perceive and will not heal the hurt that lacerates his whole zehen? It would be a childlike, innocent love, to be sure,  dewy fresh, affectionate  and charming,  but lacking in both depth and deewangee.  Not the love of a Laila for her Majnun, for all that Jodha  was prepared to die for Jalal. Which is, in one  sense , the easiest kind of love. 
Future prospects:Well, I am sure many of you are holding your breaths waiting for the Grand Reconciliation scene. I too hope that it  is at least halfway decent, with Jodha having had enough time for some long overdue introspection, leading to her going back to her stand with her antaraatma. But this is one hope that is almost sure to be belied.
I for one shudder at very thought of Jodha Begum's  Grand Homecoming to Agra, with Jalal playing the Reformed Sinner (now graciously forgiven by her, as predicted by Salima) to the hilt,  while Hamida and her cohorts  fawn all over  The Paragon.  We will be drowned in treacle and mush , and  might  all end up  becoming diabetic.
But the fact is  my problem is not with this sort of  unquenchable optimism,  or even a kind of starry-eyed hope  for  genuine romance. My  problem is with what Jalal has become.  At the rate at which he is setting my teeth on edge, it is my dentist who is going to go laughing all the way to his bank!
Not even the incredibly talented Rajat -   forced deeper and deeper into the Majnun mode,  for all that Jodha is no Laila - can salvage this show  if this sort of thing continues, and the  present state of affairs becomes permanent.
As for me, if the current avatar of  Jalal is going to become a permanent fixture, I  will not give a damn if he gets her or she gets him,  for she was never of  much  interest to me, and he will now follow suit. I do not like men to be wetrags.  I watched the  old Jalal in one of Jodha's flashbacks tonight, when he is offering to help her off a podium - that roguish, Rhett Butler look was such an unalloyed delight!
Then I watched the present avatar, watering  Jodha Begum's tulsi with his endless tears.  And I felt like weeping as well.

But don't let me dishearten you folks,  carry on!  Only, re: the  Grand Reconciliation, don't get your hopes up for any real hugs, not to speak of a kiss, tauba, tauba! After watching the fantasy love scene the other day, I marvel at the unquenchable optimism of those awaiting any such demonstrations.

This said, for all your  sakes,  all I wish with all my heart that I am proved wrong,  and  you right, and that Badal and Kajri are resurrected in Mathura. For I have grown so fond of so many of you that I would rather be wrong and  have you happy than the other way around.
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 214: The meltdown- Part 1

Post by suchee on 2014-04-11, 19:30

Nice and pleasant post ma'am... Thank u.

suchee
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2014-04-12, 18:02

Shyamala,

I loved reading your point of view. This was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your views. I really wonder if Jodha will think from Jalal's point of view at all?

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-12, 18:05

Thank you, my dear Anura. As for your question,  no, I do not think so. She is to self-centred, and Hamida Banu and her coterie make her much worse. One of my young friends in the IF wrote that the way Hamida was  going on and on and on about Jodha's purity, she made her sound like a brand of bottled spring water!Shyamalaanurao66 wrote:Shyamala,

I loved reading your point of view. This was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your views. I really wonder if Jodha will think from Jalal's point of view at all?

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Manasvi on 2014-04-12, 21:42

Ekta's Jodha is so full of herself. She is concerned about everyone including her MIL and the awaam except her own husband. Vish tho pi liya but she has no clue about her husbands pain. Jodha dear, charity begins at home. Love your hubby as much if not more than the rest of your family and awaam.

Manasvi
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by JAISMINE on 2014-04-12, 23:08

I have also started hating jodha nowadays.....that self-centred tubelight has turned my dear Jallu into a cry-baby...it's sooo sad...

JAISMINE
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by neha on 2014-04-13, 13:42

Superb post aunty ! You have an awesome sense of humor  hpee 
Jodha's character now looks shallow in front of Jalal, this is high time now, show will complete a year within some months and Jodha is still where she was at the beginning of the show, he journey till Kajri track was well portrayed but now all of a sudden she is back to her proud self and is least bothered about knowing his pain !

neha
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 00:05

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum