Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 223: The hand of fate

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 223: The hand of fate

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-23, 12:59

I was asked for my take on this one,  especially by Mandy and Sandhya, and I was going to post a response for them on my last thread. But I too am still struggling with the quirks of this set up; I tried to insert the date and the whole post disappeared. 

But I am nothing if not persistent, and I started all over again, this time safely in MS Word, as I usually do, not directly on the thread. It workd, but perhaps predictably, it became too long (so what is you, I can hear you folks muttering!) ,  and so I decided to put it up as a separate post . Here it is.

I have to confess that to my own surprise, after fast forwarding the whole of the Kunwari (yeh kaise kunwari hai? Begum na kahein, Rani to  keh sakte hain!) Jodha in Amer, and watching all the Jalal bits, plus the 2 segments  with  Jodha when that haar falls and breaks and again at the end when she is repairing it herself, I liked it very much.  

Maybe it is because I am in a specially good mood after having come here for keeps,  but I was not irritated by anything last night. Now for the highlights.

Jalal: The early scene before the woodsman got there with the food was intensely moving, for Jalal was not than an exasperating, cringing lover, flagellating himself for faults that he has wilfully magnified. 

He was like a small boy who has been abandoned,  and  he wipes his tears with his sleeve as such a child would. A child has lost his most precious possession, and does not know what to do now.  He was miserable and lonely and crushed by the slap fate has dealt him,  and when he laments Hum itna kaise gir sakte the! the despair gets to you and turns you inside out. Just  as Rajat was doing onscreen.

It did not matter to me that I still thought he was all wrong, and needed to get  his act together. I merely wanted to pick him up, soothe him,  and make him well again.

If only Jalal could have been like this, even if in a different situation, on Saturday!

Sikka No. 786: The scene with the sikka  was a new flashback; there seem to be so many of them of late, like the one at the riverbank the other day. The curious thing is that the sikka was a Mughal coin, the engraving was in Persian, one could see the cursive script when he puts it back in his cummerbund.

NB: The occasion for Jodha giving that Mughal sikka  to him  as  a sort of holy taaveez was unclear, but I  liked her new cream and gold dress! I am sure it will surface again soon, seeing the sense of economy, indeed parsimony, prevailing in Balaji, and then I can have a better look at it! hpee 

As for the  muqaddas No. 786, well, I made that up, but it was for all of you who have been  so unfeeling as to turn up your noses at this life-saving sikka! Shame on you disbelievers! hpee 

Now don’t you dare question the near cert of a prediction that it will save Jalal’s life from Abul Mali’s sword thrust ! Why else would Jalal tuck into his cummerbund,  and why else would Abul Mali stab him in the midriff and not in the chest, to get his heart?

And do not question the  hoary, impeccable cinematic ancestry of this plot device either.Why, it was used for Amitabh' s Vijay time and again, most notably in Deewaar, when his Billa No. 786 stops  a bullet, aur yeh to sirf Abul Mali ki shamsheer hai!  hpee 

I am sure Jodha's coin  will save her suhaag,  but the scene was frightful, and I literally winced as the sword drove home and Jalal's body  jerked under the blow.

The common touch: The tired sincerity in Jalal's voice as he talks to the woodsman  was very, very well done. He really has the common touch, and always had it; it is not something that is part of Jodha Begum's reform programme. And I was glad he did not embrace him as he raised him from the ground; that would have made it OTT. As it was, it was just right.

Moreover,  I do not see why there is all this fuss about Jalal accepting food from a NON-beggar (caps intentional!). There is  nothing in the least degrading or inappropriate about it. Any great king would have done the same - Vikramaditya or Raja Raja Chola, or Ashoka. It is a manifestation of their innate humility and their having the common touch; the  first is mandatory for a great human being, and the second is mandatory for a great ruler.

A boon, a boon! :Plus the conversation between the surprisingly wise woodsman and Jalal was unexpectedly deep in both tone and content. If this had been a mythological, instead of a pseudo-historical, the woodsman would have turned into Vishnu or Mahadev as soon as Jalal offered him the sikka.  Jalal could then have sought the biggest boon of all, that his Jodha Begum be transformed permanently into Kajri! Alas, this is just a soap  masquerading as a medieval tale !

TE ke jungi  chaal: I loved everyone of the indications last night that Adiana’s TE was still with us, despite being buried under the weight of all that debilitating mohabbat for his Jodha Begum, and that he can still surface when the occasion calls for it.

There was his keen shikari’s ear that spots the first assailant who is creeping up on him on nearly silent feet.  His flinging the chap bodily right into the path of the descending Abul Mali’s shamsheer. His vigorous shamsheerbazi, almost on par with the display against Suryabhan’s soldiery during his escape from Amer, which must have gladdened Sandhya’s heart (right, my dear?), even if it was with a borrowed shamsheer (Abul Mali’s ).

Like  Munni, I too noted and applauded his tribute to his Khan Baba’s  taaleem,  as further proof that the old Jalal was still round and had not been permanently turned into a Majnun.

And above all, his quintessentially tedi  chaal of the dua  as his aakhri khwahish. All of it beautiful, reassuring stuff, bar one reservation.

Dangerous weakness:The  old Jalal, even if he had not executed Abul Mali the first time but kept him as a prisoner in Agra, would never have made that mistake the second time around. If Jalal had finished  Abul Mali off when he had the shamsheer at his throat, instead of pushing him away and turning to face the rest, thus leaving  him free to attack  again, all would have been well. The others would have run away as soon as their patron was dead and gone.

I did not know what to make of this dangerous weakness, but it was dismaying. If it was Jodha ki sangat ka asar, why then it is doubly  dangerous.

Jodha: The perils of sacrilege:  I skipped all the Ameri effusions till the part about the haar that was Gauri Maa ka aashirwaad came up. Jodha’s face froze in sudden apprehension as soon as she dropped it , and it became blind panic  as soon as she realized that it was broken.

One could see the strength of her belief in an ill omen, and her desperate desire to somehow make amends  for what she fears  was an act of  sacrilege, however inadvertent, and thus avert the danger to her husband.  It was there most markedly in her frantic refusal to take another haar instead , and her insistence of repairing the auspisicious broken one and wearing it,  and it alone.  Na jaane un par kahan , kaise, kaunsa sankat aajaye!!

And so fear achieves what all of Jalal’s pleading and self-abasement could not. The threat of an unbearable loss, and the bond that links her with Jalal  resurfaces, breaking thru the cocoon of ego and self-centredness in which Jodha  had shut herself away.

Paridhi’s Jodha  was excellent  in that scene, her wide eyes are dark with dread of the unknown danger  that, she feels instinctively,   will strike Jalal if she does not wear the auspicious haar  and thus extend the Devi’s  protection to him.

It was the same a little later in a heavily symbolical  scene, when she cuts her finger at the precise instant when Abul Mali slashes Jala’s left shoulder from behind,and  Jalal and Jodha  both bleed.

The panicky haste with which Jodha rushes to get the haar back into shape tells its own tale, and her face, at that moment, mirrors all the dark,  inchoate presentiments that crowd in upon her.

The Chemmeen  parallel: It reminded me of, oddly enough, something from the famous novel Chemmeen,  by the great Malayalam writer Thakazhi Sivasankaram Pillai. The fisherman out at sea is safe only as long  as his wife back on the shore is chaste, the belief goes, but when she slips and becomes unfaithful to him, the goddess of the sea will punish her by destroying her husband.

Transpose that belief with the one about the  wife wearing the sacred haar  to protect her husband, and you will see the parallel. Damage the haar and thus  do not wear it, and your husband will suffer the consequences of your uncaring negligence.

And so there is Jodha, the blood from the cut soiling the gold of the haar,  racing against time to avert the disaster that her mistake will, she is sure in her heart,  bring down on Jalal.

It was quite beautiful.  It was this, and the shades of the old TE, that salvaged last night’s episode for me. What about you?

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Last edited by sashashyam on 2014-04-23, 14:29; edited 1 time in total

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 223: The hand of fate

Post by mandyg on 2014-04-23, 13:31

shyamala, lovely analysis for a lovely episode! i too skipped jodha and ameris ka milaap..rajat was too good and loved every scene of his..beautifully done!

mandyg
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by mishti on 2014-04-23, 13:53

As usual gr8 post Aunty, and don't worry about its length, we love to read it, if you love to write them   hpee 

Oh!!! I loved RT thoroughly yst'day...even his crying melted me.  long hug 
I loved his eating of food from a poor and appreciating him wholeheartedly...showed the magnanimity of the Shehanshaah.
For once in later part Jodha was bearable after loooooooooooooong time.
And this saving of Jalal's life credit also, will again go to Jodha, albeit in form of her sikka....gawddd!!! where were we, when these two were playing dil-dosti.....may be dance ke FB later humein mil jayein.  Shocked

mishti

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_0506 on 2014-04-23, 14:04

Superb analysis Aunty.  long hug I too liked yesterday’s episode which according to me a very welcome change from Friday’s so called Maha (Boring) Episode or Monday’s (mediocre) one. Their Monday episodes are invariably fall in that category. Although I like only s=certain parts of the episode, it was more than paryapt after last two disasters.

Aunty, I liked Jodha in that Haar Mending scene. Unlike her OTT reactions in ME episode of Friday’s this one was quite subtly done. Her frantic attempts to mend that haar were really touching. But I think it still talks about her fear of Jalal’s life and any imminent threat to it. It is the same reaction she showed when he was ready to take Kasam when he was discussing Benzir’s Khubsurti with her. She stopped him from taking such zooti kasam, didn’t she? I don’t think this indicates her affections towards him. It just indicates a wife’s fear for her husband’s life, concern for his safety. But that doesn’t set Jodha apart from any other Indian (for that matter any) wife.

Coming to Jalal’s reactions to that stranger’s declaration of Shehenshah’s supposedly missing dil and subsequent sharing of his meager lunch, they were as usual, spot on. But then that is expected from Rajat, isn’t it? Aunty, but honestly speaking, I’m getting tired of his constant lament, self-flagellation and repentance. The dialogues too are getting repetitive. Everybody now (including Abul Mali. I wonder how did he come to know that Jodha rejected Jalal?) knows that he made a mistake and Jodha has refused to forgive him. My Jalal (for whom I started watching this serial) would have by now found ten different ways to manofy his errant Beghum, or failing to that, would have simply kidnapped her, forced her to admit her love and proceeded with his main job, that is running an empire.
Maybe as they say, if a lie is told over and over, one starts believing it himself. He has been told so many times now that he made a mistake (by Hamida Banu, Salima Beghum, Jodha, and most of all his Antaratma – Jodha’s Antaratma spared him, Aunty. Thank God for small mercies), that he is not ready to come out of this whirlpool of guilt and repentance. And till the time he doesn’t he won’t be able formulate any plan as to how to win her back.

I frankly don’t know whether I should be happy of small glimpses of my old Jalal who sensed the approaching assassin and who had enough presence of mind to ask for a chance for a last prayer; or should I bang my head agaist the nearest wall, that he was careless enough to wander the wilderness without even taking a small khanjar with him, let alone smasheer. His small posy of four soldiers needs to be chunavaofies in the wall. What kind of bodyguards are they. Shehenshah says, “akele rahena chahate hai” and these morons don’t even take care of making his surroundings secure? Unbelievable. Thanks to that poor man, Jalal had eaten something. Varna bhook se hi behosh hona tha use, that too Abul Mali.

I found that pre-cap a bit scary. Not because of Abul Mali stabbing his sword in Jalal’s stomach. Aunty, Abul Mali is gonna miss his mark. With his hair falling on his eyes, he won’t be able to hit the broad side of the barn, forget Jalal’s stomach. I found it scary because now Jalal might be taken to Amer. He would continue the “Jodha Manao” abhiyaan. Again, Jodha, won’t have chance to miss him, come to realize his importance in her life (not only as a pati, but as a lover). The whirlpool may get deeper Aunty.
One more thing is really annoying me. How come a woman as astute as Dadisa, could make an assumption that Rolly-Polly Baker Bharmal found Jodha? I hate it when Jalal is not given credit for his achievements. That too, Bharmal ???????????

Sam

PS – Aunty I hope you haven’t forgotten me. It would make me start crying all over your thread once again. You don’t want that, do you?  hpee

Sam_0506
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

RE:Jodha Akbar 223: The hand of fate

Post by harrybird on 2014-04-23, 14:14

Hello Aunty,
Awesome post ! ( as usual )....  Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup 

I also found yesterday's episode beautiful for it appeared to be the beginning of more good things to come!

Both Rajat and Paridhi performed brilliantly! 

Although, I dont like crybaby Jalal, Rajat's crying act moves me. he does it differently everytime...Today he looked like school boy!( for Rajat, its not an act, but habit!...) I wonder how on earth sumone can emote like this that too at 22 yrs of age...

Harry

PS: Aunty, I was not in station for the past 4 days..just came back today morning and was pleasantly surprised to see your post ( turning dhwani forum upside down!...) Great times ahead for all dhwani forum members!
 Dance

harrybird
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-04-23, 14:28

Excellent analysis aunty. Coming to abul mali's case whether its old Jalal or new he would have left mali more than once nd this weakness is not related to jodha. As we know even real Jalal pardoned people like Adam nd cheapo many times. Even our old jalal was very emotional about his own people. So even if it was our old Jalal we cant be sure whether he would have executed mali or not.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-23, 14:32

Thank you so much, Munni dear.Yes, Jalal was merciful to his own people, but in this situation, Munni, when leaving him safe and sound would make all the difference in a life or death situation? I would hope not!At  least he could have slashed at him and incapacitated him, so that he could not get up to any more mischief.Shyamala Auntymunnirony wrote:Excellent analysis aunty. Coming to abul mali's case whether its old Jalal or  new he would have left mali more than once nd this weakness is not related to jodha. As we know even real Jalal pardoned people like Adam nd cheapo many times. Even our old jalal was very emotional about his own people. So even if it was our old Jalal we cant be sure whether he would have executed mali or not.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by aashyagh on 2014-04-23, 14:42

Superb Analysis Shyamala.  
The fight sword scene was superb, liked Jalal to the "T".  I was glad that he did not forget his "Talim" from his Khanbaba.  
About he taking food from the poor- when I saw it first, infact I watched the scene inbetween and he was trying to pay the poor guy for the food he gave him, at that instant I felt, why is Jalal in the ground in that stage and taking food from the beggar (I didn't know he wasn't) and all that made me dislike the part, but I watched the episode from start later and then the impact was not bad, and Jalal didn't let me down yesterday.
Jodha- I agree with the connection of the haar and the "war", and emotions connected to it as well, but I still don't like her, she needs to work a lot to redeem herself.

aashyagh
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-04-23, 14:47

Well he didn't left mali safe nd sound its just the tactics of the CVs to show sum action from Rajat. Mali went there to kill Jalal so obviously he wont leave till his mission is completed. It was just a bad scripting nd has nothing to do with jalal.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Alakh on 2014-04-23, 14:52

I'm surprised that you like the episode..

It was Ok ok types for me.. and thanks a lot for the post dear

Alakh
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-23, 14:53

Munni dear,You cannot mix both types of reviewing. If you are going to blame the CVs, then we should go the whole hog and blame them for everything, don't you agree? Then there would be nothing to analyse in the character.I am analysing only the character as he is onscreen, and so I arrive at this conclusion. In any case, none of this has to do with the real historical Jalal, or with Rajat. It is about Ekta's Jalal and his plus and minus points.Shyamala Auntymunnirony wrote:Well he didn't left mali safe nd sound its just the tactics of the CVs to show sum action from Rajat. Mali went there to kill Jalal so obviously he wont leave till his mission is completed. It was just a bad scripting nd has nothing to do with jalal.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-04-23, 14:56

Is that really Autumn_Rose of the IF, my Chipmunk No.1,  or a  namesake?This said, my dear, spice is the variety of life, and if we all agreed on everything, it would be very dull. So I am never surprised at  a different take from mine.lNever fear, a lot of much worse tripe will soon be coming our way.Shyamala AuntyAlakh wrote:I'm surprised that you like the episode..

It was Ok ok types for me.. and thanks a lot for the post dear

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by adianasr on 2014-04-23, 14:58

Thankyou Shyamala, Indeed my TE is not lost and I am now very very hopeful for his return!!!! hpee 
Oh and I love the emoticons here!!!!! hppy 

And as for mhaari Jodha!!! Twisted Evil  Well I have been saying that the Universe will play the Zen master for her and I am proven rt!!! My poor poor TE, suffering for this foolish woman!!! Kya karen Ishq Par zor nahin!!! Rolling Eyes 

And now for that symbolism!!!! Twisted Evil 

Did all note that the haar was given by Hypervati to Jodha but mhaari Jodha lets it slip and fall  Question - was it carelessness?????? Shocked 

Symbolism  detective - TE heart, body and soul was handed to Jodha by the Universe and what did she do????? Let let him slip - did not hold on - due to her own callousness!!!! Shout out 

And now mhaari Jodha is scared?????? affraid SO she shd be!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Foolish woman!!!!! Evil or Very Mad 

Jodha disregarded the gift from the Universe - her dropping her mother's gift and its breaking is definitely symbolic - and it is all her own making  Bang - but no she still wont wake up!!! That is mhaari Jodha  Bang  - no wonder I love TE and not her!!!! cheers 

Srry to spoil the party since the symbolism that I saw was Jodha's carelessness with the haar - simalr to Jodha's callousness with the most precious gift from the Universe!!!!!

As for that letting Mali off - well since I have learnt martial arts - this is something my teacher told us - first disarm the opponent and then look to injuring him physically - which may have been the intent from TE perhaps - ki Mali ka shamsheer toh le liye pehle inn ghadon ko saaf karte hain phir iska safaya karenge. (waise bhi how can I not defend my TE  Wink )

Last edited by adianasr on 2014-04-23, 15:07; edited 1 time in total

adianasr
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Priya.n on 2014-04-23, 15:03

Wonderful post, Aunty. Yesterday was the first time I didn't feel like cringing when Jalal was feeling bad and cursing his fate. Seems the separation track is finally progressing from the constant requirement  for glycerine.

Sikka No. 786: Loved your sikka take aunty. I don't mind Jodha's sikka saving him. It's definitely better than Jodha having a premonition and running all the way to throw her body over Jalal and take the blade on herself.   

The common touch: I also liked this scene very much. It's always good to see humble Jalal and the way he did let the common man know that he is the Sehenshah was nicely done.
"  It is a manifestation of their innate humility and their having the common touch; the  first is mandatory for a great human being, and the second is mandatory for a great ruler." - Couldn't agree more with you.

A boon, a boon: Would you think even Vishnu/Mahadev could grant such a wish aunty?? Shocked  I think they would have said, " I can order her to get back to you. But transforming her completely into Kajri is beyond us. Because she is a Rajvanshi and changing her nature without her consent is out of my hands". hppy 

TE Ke jungi chaal & Dangerous Weakness: Was really impressed with Jalal after a long time. His cunning strategy to distract everyone gave us a jalak of old Jalal that we all loved. About not killing Abul Mali aunty, maybe killing him without a proper jung didn't sit well with Jalal. He is after all a sachhe sipahihpee 

Jodha:The perils of sacrilege & Chemmeen parallel: The scene was done well. It could have easily slipped and become OTT but like you said Paridhi did really good. I have no idea about the chemmeen novel aunty but the description you gave seems really good fitting in this case.

The only complaint in yesterday's episode was about Jodha's welcome party. Wish they would have toned it down and just be happy that she reached home safely. The way it was shown it looked like Jodha was coming home after accomplishing world peace  confused

Last edited by Priya.n on 2014-04-23, 15:12; edited 1 time in total

Priya.n
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by PuPuMon on 2014-04-23, 15:05

Thank You, Aunty for ur write up. Lovely to read 'em.

Firstly even i love skipping Amer/maasa/dadisa parts. Secondly, Why the hell are giving all the credit to good for nothing baapusa... He was very well sitting in his mahal and ordering his sipahis to look for Jodha and only turned up himself when Jalal's nautanki/efforts succeeded.

That Haar scene was touching i liked Jo for that in this entire track. 

Woh sikka Rajnikanth ka hai, mind it! detective 

You have summed up each and every expression of Jalal so well that i don't feel the need to say anything else. Ya but i loved that smirk and please Jallu keep ur dil at place, yahan wahan mat rakh ke chhodh diya karo Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Regards
Pooja/Popo/Pupumon from IF  hpee

PuPuMon
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by lashy on 2014-04-23, 15:10

Actually aunty, your take is compelling me to watch the episode - something I had no intention of doing..  Shocked 
Maybe for the sake of my Jalal  luv 

And you actually had a kind line for Jo Raani.. I have been finding it difficult to say anything nice about her lately  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  
She believes in mending a haar for the life of her husband but cares not for the fact that the king who's life is/has been in danger is roaming aimlessly with minimal protection? The very guy's life for whom she started this nonsensical vachan in the first place!

She cares for the haar, but she didn't even budge to send him a lep after he was being stoned.

Pfffft I can confidently say for all the nonsense Jalal did during the Benazir track - one thing HE WOULD NOT have done is stood back and watched Jodha being stoned... Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Even in the midst of all that excessive hatred he had the sanity to listen to her 'proofs' about Ben, to not have her caught for the arrow attack, to not blame her for the Shivani fiasco ...and the list is endless!

lashy
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by lashy on 2014-04-23, 15:11

One Question - why are all beginners that character from Ice age  Frnds chatting I quite liked these emos..

lashy
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_0506 on 2014-04-23, 15:19

Can anyone please please tell me how to like a post ?  confused

Sam_0506
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by adianasr on 2014-04-23, 15:21

Sam_0506 wrote:Can anyone please please tell me how to like a post ?  confused
Sam, bottom left has like written - click on it

adianasr
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by rpeez on 2014-04-23, 15:25

Hello Aunty.

Actually I was not so impressed with Jalaal's scenes yesterday, then ones after, attack. Though it had been scripted well, I felt there were a few bloopers like, blood already being present before the person was stabbed. Executions of this scene was at best pathetic. I think the inexperience of the makers in making a historical is obvious these days. 

That said, I really appreciate Paridhi in handling a scene that dripped melodrama with grace.Somewhere, I saw a glance of Jodha in Benazir track. Single minded in her purpose of saving her husband's life. Here though, for her it's symbolic. 

I am happy that you liked the episode, as I was laughing on watching it, thanks to the bloopers.

rpeez
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by divyavm on 2014-04-23, 15:26

Shyamala Aunty, 

I finally made my way here ... Though I have been reading your posts all along. Great post as always. 

I think Jalal was just so miserable in that scene that I was mad at the non-beggar scene ... The fact that Jalal was in that state in the first place and was so alone that this poor man was the only one who could advise him to eat. 

While I was always the Jodha fan (along with Jalal), I was not too moved by Jodha yesterday. I found her worry for his life to be very similar to her worry during the Mohan / tiger attack ... I feel she still places the vows, rituals, and duties over the actual man.

Now when I post this, I hope it posts correctly.

divyavm
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by aashyagh on 2014-04-23, 15:28

Ladies, have you got the update on Tatasky spoiler?  It says, saazish happening in Agra to dethrone Jalal (what new, we knew about it), still forumwasis want Jalal away from Agra to be in Amer and romance/manofy his Jodha Bang

aashyagh
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam_0506 on 2014-04-23, 15:33

adianasr wrote:
Sam_0506 wrote:Can anyone please please tell me how to like a post ?  confused
Sam, bottom left has like written - click on it

Phew... Now I feel really stupid having asked that question

Sam_0506
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by lashy on 2014-04-23, 15:33

Divi Sunshine and Sam you two here too..  long hug  long hug  
Divi do your take fives here na... plzz plzz

lashy
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sandhya on 2014-04-23, 15:37

sashashyam wrote:I was asked for my take on this one,  especially by Mandy and Sandhya, and I was going to post a response for them on my last thread. But I too am still struggling with the quirks of this set up; I tried to insert the date and the whole post disappeared. 

Thanks Aunty. hpee 

But I am nothing if not persistent, and I started all over again, this time safely in MS Word, as I usually do, not directly on the thread. It workd, but perhaps predictably, it became too long (so what is you, I can hear you folks muttering!) ,  and so I decided to put it up as a separate post . Here it is.

Longer, the better. hpee 

Jalal: The early scene before the woodsman got there with the food was intensely moving, for Jalal was not than an exasperating, cringing lover, flagellating himself for faults that he has wilfully magnified. 

He was like a small boy who has been abandoned,  and  he wipes his tears with his sleeve as such a child would. A child has lost his most precious possession, and does not know what to do now.  He was miserable and lonely and crushed by the slap fate has dealt him,  and when he laments Hum itna kaise gir sakte the! the despair gets to you and turns you inside out. Just  as Rajat was doing onscreen.

When he can move us with his anger and rage aunty, (it was his brilliance in that opera-ic performance that has earned all the sympathy for the one raging than the one raged at), his suffering in solitude was naturally very moving. Did you notice the 'chee'...... 2nd habit picked up from Jodha, first being bhaashaning.   Evil or Very Mad ...............he gave one on religious tolerance at Angoori Bagh and a second on Mohabbat.

Sikka No. 786: The scene with the sikka  was a new flashback; there seem to be so many of them of late, like the one at the riverbank the other day. The curious thing is that the sikka was a Mughal coin, the engraving was in Persian, one could see the cursive script when he puts it back in his cummerbund.

So the couple have had their secret meetings and romances afterall as the flashbacks say and we were lamenting on their non-togetherness! scratch 

NB: The occasion for Jodha giving that Mughal sikka  to him  as  a sort of holy taaveez was unclear, but I  liked her new cream and gold dress! I am sure it will surface again soon, seeing the sense of economy, indeed parsimony, prevailing in Balaji, and then I can have a better look at it! hpee 

As for the  muqaddas No. 786, well, I made that up, but it was for all of you who have been  so unfeeling as to turn up your noses at this life-saving sikka! Shame on you disbelievers! hpee 

Aunty, I still don't believe that a coin however strong can stop a sword thrust with full force in close range, though I know it will be so in all probability. With a bullet it is different. It has been fired and the other person has no control of it once fired. But here we are talking about an extra sharp sword thrust directly by the attacker...........if there is a small round solid object on its way, well it might at most slip and pierce an inch away. But if BT is going to canonisae 'Jodha Begum ka sikka' too .............kya kahein........sigh........

And do not question the  hoary, impeccable cinematic ancestry of this plot device either.Why, it was used for Amitabh' s Vijay time and again, most notably in Deewaar, when his Billa No. 786 stops  a bullet, aur yeh to sirf Abul Mali ki shamsheer hai!  hpee 

I am sure Jodha's coin  will save her suhaag,  but the scene was frightful, and I literally winced as the sword drove home and Jalal's body  jerked under the blow.

The common touch: The tired sincerity in Jalal's voice as he talks to the woodsman  was very, very well done. He really has the common touch, and always had it; it is not something that is part of Jodha Begum's reform programme. And I was glad he did not embrace him as he raised him from the ground; that would have made it OTT. As it was, it was just right.

Moreover,  I do not see why there is all this fuss about Jalal accepting food from a NON-beggar (caps intentional!). There is  nothing in the least degrading or inappropriate about it. Any great king would have done the same - Vikramaditya or Raja Raja Chola, or Ashoka. It is a manifestation of their innate humility and their having the common touch; the  first is mandatory for a great human being, and the second is mandatory for a great ruler.

Okay.okay............I said food from a beggar......................but Jalal's dignity was on the downslide ever since Tuesday last and I thought that we was deliberately made to look so haggard.He was made to look so pathetic and haggard. As though he was suffering personified, crying and berating himself for having questioned her. No . He was comfortable earlier as Badal too to get food from anyone and stay anywhere. He was indeed a great human being.....and a great king even before Jodha Begum 'transformed' him, as you have to be born with these qualities. Moeover, he has been a sipahi, and accustomed to extreme situations.

But one relief if the sikka saves him would be , nobody would take 'moorchith hone ka anuchith laabh' and take him to Amer. But the disadvantage would be that he would be so filled with admiration of the hunar of Jodha Begum's sikka and gratitude for the giver that he would run to Amer and like Tulsidas, hold a snake and climb onto her kaksh.................... Evil or Very Mad 

A boon, a boon! :Plus the conversation between the surprisingly wise woodsman and Jalal was unexpectedly deep in both tone and content. If this had been a mythological, instead of a pseudo-historical, the woodsman would have turned into Vishnu or Mahadev as soon as Jalal offered him the sikka.  Jalal could then have sought the biggest boon of all, that his Jodha Begum be transformed permanently into Kajri! Alas, this is just a soap  masquerading as a medieval tale !

TE ke jungi  chaal: I loved everyone of the indications last night that Adiana’s TE was still with us, despite being buried under the weight of all that debilitating mohabbat for his Jodha Begum, and that he can still surface when the occasion calls for it.

There was his keen shikari’s ear that spots the first assailant who is creeping up on him on nearly silent feet.  His flinging the chap bodily right into the path of the descending Abul Mali’s shamsheer. His vigorous shamsheerbazi, almost on par with the display against Suryabhan’s soldiery during his escape from Amer, which must have gladdened Sandhya’s heart (right, my dear?), even if it was with a borrowed shamsheer (Abul Mali’s ).

Aunty, Rajat  MUST have been a knight in shining armour in his poorva janam. There is something utterly fascinating in the way he fences. So Roual. So forceful. It is a pleasure watching him action. Aunty, our cals to Z does have some effect.........................we kept complaining of lack of action inspite of Rajat's potential and we are getting action scenes every now and then. Twisted Evil 

Like  Munni, I too noted and applauded his tribute to his Khan Baba’s  taaleem,  as further proof that the old Jalal was still round and had not been permanently turned into a Majnun.

My imaginary convo between Jalal and the spirit of PRC in which I had said 'Khan Baba who?' went pop. So Jalal dearest does remember his Khan Baba.

And above all, his quintessentially tedi  chaal of the dua  as his aakhri khwahish. All of it beautiful, reassuring stuff, bar one reservation.

Why would the goons too pray? And why do they talk so much in moments of life and death?

Dangerous weakness:The  old Jalal, even if he had not executed Abul Mali the first time but kept him as a prisoner in Agra, would never have made that mistake the second time around. If Jalal had finished  Abul Mali off when he had the shamsheer at his throat, instead of pushing him away and turning to face the rest, thus leaving  him free to attack  again, all would have been well. The others would have run away as soon as their patron was dead and gone.

I did not know what to make of this dangerous weakness, but it was dismaying. If it was Jodha ki sangat ka asar, why then it is doubly  dangerous.

No aunty, it was his weakness even before Jo came into his life. He cared for his people and forgave easily. 

Jodha: The perils of sacrilege:  I skipped all the Ameri effusions till the part about the haar that was Gauri Maa ka aashirwaad came up. Jodha’s face froze in sudden apprehension as soon as she dropped it , and it became blind panic  as soon as she realized that it was broken.

The Ameri effusions were  Bang . Surely she wasn't home after winning a Nobel Prize, all out of her own efforts or winning a war.  Why does Menawati self-flagellate herself even more than Jalal? Wasn't she right in her decision then, when the daughter declared that she wanted to come home herself? Even HB applauded her for it.........................and all sorrys were already said during Sukanya's wedding. In these matters Teapot is the best diplomat. He can balance everyone to suit his convenience. Whenever he gets into a tight spot, he uses his daughter as a ticket to wriggle out. And he never blames himself for ANYTHING and gets a good name easily. Twisted Evil 

One could see the strength of her belief in an ill omen, and her desperate desire to somehow make amends  for what she fears  was an act of  sacrilege, however inadvertent, and thus avert the danger to her husband.  It was there most markedly in her frantic refusal to take another haar instead , and her insistence of repairing the auspisicious broken one and wearing it,  and it alone.  Na jaane un par kahan , kaise, kaunsa sankat aajaye!!

And so fear achieves what all of Jalal’s pleading and self-abasement could not. The threat of an unbearable loss, and the bond that links her with Jalal  resurfaces, breaking thru the cocoon of ego and self-centredness in which Jodha  had shut herself away.

Paridhi’s Jodha  was excellent  in that scene, her wide eyes are dark with dread of the unknown danger  that, she feels instinctively,   will strike Jalal if she does not wear the auspicious haar  and thus extend the Devi’s  protection to him.

She was like in the pre-vishpan episodes. And post visahpan, when Jalal is about to take that kasam that Ben was beautiful

It was the same a little later in a heavily symbolical  scene, when she cuts her finger at the precise instant when Abul Mali slashes Jala’s left shoulder from behind,and  Jalal and Jodha  both bleed.

The panicky haste with which Jodha rushes to get the haar back into shape tells its own tale, and her face, at that moment, mirrors all the dark,  inchoate presentiments that crowd in upon her.

And so there is Jodha, the blood from the cut soiling the gold of the haar,  racing against time to avert the disaster that her mistake will, she is sure in her heart,  bring down on Jalal.

It was quite beautiful.  It was this, and the shades of the old TE, that salvaged last night’s episode for me. What about you?

But the big question is..................where would he go now..........................to Amer.........with abounding and overflowing mohabbat after the sikka saves him or when he is taken in a moorchith hone ka anuchith laabh state there? or back home and a track where there is real separation and yearning from both sides, esp Jodha ............which is needed for the story. scratch 

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Last edited by sandhya on 2014-04-23, 15:45; edited 1 time in total

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 00:03

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top