Latest topics

TV is a regressive medium: Prachi Desai

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TV is a regressive medium: Prachi Desai

Post by clarissasham on 2013-02-15, 14:56

She made it big with television show, but actress Prachi Desai does not approve of how the medium has become today and feels that it is regressive in nature.

"I think, I was a part of TV in a more fortunate time. Even though my story was of a girl being in love with an older man, it was a slightly modern drama as compared to what it is right now. It is extremely regressive," she told IANS in an interview.

Before venturing into movie with 2008 hit "Rock On!!", she featured as Bani Walia in hit show "Kasamh Se" in 2006.

"You feel that everyone is doing the same thing and copying each other. When I was in TV, there were so many different stories. I think that stage has gone," she said.

An Ekta Kapoor discovery, Prachi has been part of films like "Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai" and "Bol Bachchan".

Will you go back to TV?

"If a very interesting phase on Indian TV comes where we have short stories and films, then why not? At the end of the day, you are an actor and the medium doesn't matter," she said.

However, she can't think of doing a daily soap.

"I surely cannot go back to daily soaps. That is something I know. At least not right now. It's a decision I made when I did 'Rock On!!'" said the 24-year-old.

She feels in India you can't do both. "You can't be a film star and a TV actor. In the West you can. But the culture here is different," she added.

clarissasham
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Re: TV is a regressive medium: Prachi Desai

Post by sunshine99 on 2013-02-17, 08:22

thanks shammi for posting it. I liked her honest answers and the stereotyping for Tv actors if they come back to TV without having a big name.It's unfair. If SLB and AB can be appreciated for taking up TV seriously why cannot the TV actors be looked at without presumptions if they move freely between two mediums?

Last edited by sunshine99 on 2013-02-17, 09:07; edited 1 time in total

sunshine99
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2013-02-17, 08:40

Shammi,

Thanks for posting this. I liked some of her answers. What she said was absolutely true. It has become regressive. Why cant they progress from torturing the Bahu's and Beti's of the house.

The second part it do not agree. Actors can easily make time for television whether it is hosting a show or even acting. In Tamil and Telugu Radhika, acts in daily soaps but also acts in movies. She does not look down upon TV. Why In fact recently SRK did say that he would love to act in a 23 episode show with all bollywood bigwigs. So there is space for both mediums if you want to make the space. You only have to have some time management, good script and a role.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by -Sheena- on 2013-02-19, 18:30

Her answers are not new but seems a standard way of distancing oneself from the two worlds of TV and Films. No medium is perfect and yes TV is regressive in terms of Saas Bahu but Movies are regressive as well in many ways...

Hmmm....Interesting that she says that TV is regressive but honestly women have more substance in terms of roles on TV than they do in movies....We hardly see any women backed roles in movies and some of the dialogues and actions done by the hero to the heroine can be categorised as regressive...Wearing western clothes and romancing the hero does not automatically mean that it is progressive, just the same way saas bahu drama is presumed regressive...

Creativity is lacking in all mediums and not just TV..I just think it is how one views both medium...Film actors look down on TV yet they find it acceptable to dance at weddings and do adverts for TV...

-Sheena-
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2013-02-19, 18:40

Hi Sheena,

I totally agree with your statements.You were very lucid in your reply.No medium ids perfect as you said. I agree with all your points. Yes you raised a valid question about creativity because, now if a movie is hit in one regional language it is made in all the languages and Hindi also.

Film stars look down upon TV but dance for wedding and award shows maybe they get
paid more.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sharmibalan on 2013-02-19, 18:53

I think it all comes to time and money at the end of the day.....
You are paid more for a small role in a movie, or for an adv or to even perform in a wedding....
But it you see a weekly soap...its a lot of work for less money.....and to add the working conditions......
Both TV and Movies have become a regressive medium...very rarely we get to watch good movies or a good soap....
In the 70ties and 80ties....movies came out with bold concepts......But now the boldness of a movie is limited to a smooch or a half-naked ??? scene.......Rolling Eyes

sharmibalan
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2013-02-19, 18:59

Sharmi,

Yes truly said. People cant take the shows or movies they want.There is always a fear that the politicians will play a apart and stop the movie from being shown for some vague reason. It curbs creative liberty. If a movie is cleared by the censor board then why should it be stopped later.It now become a norm to cause controversy. Even shows on TV are at the mercy of the TRP mummies and Aunties and rarely a PH can tell their story as they originally visualized it.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sharmibalan on 2013-02-19, 19:19

Very True Anu....Theres no creative liberty these days......Viswaroopam was a classic example.....

sharmibalan
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by trintring on 2013-02-20, 10:20

I liked the fact that she was kinda honest. But I think more than being regressive for most of them it is about fame and fortune. No matter how popular you become on television at the end of the day there is nothing like the ultimate glamour and star power like being a movie star. Its a different feeling alltogether. And also aren't movies regressive too? We are lucky to find 5 movies each year which are original or fresh or just different rather than the same old things we see. The same is true for Hollywood as well. Half of the movies that are coming out each year are either Superhero movies (I do enjoy some of them though), sequels, biopics or remakes. There is so little originality anywhere at the moment. So just blaming TV as extremely regressive is not fair. I mean what was Bol Bachhan?

trintring
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:39

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum