Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 258-259: The death of a dream

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 258-259: The death of a dream

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-12, 12:36

My dear Sam, you  would be the ultimate pep up pill for anyone!Thanks a lot, my dear, for such lavish praise; not being Jodha Begum, I cannot swallow it & look like the cat that has got at the cream! hpee 

As for Jalal last night, as I wrote to Greeshma above, I think Rajat  should have done the revelation scene differently. When he does raw anger nowadays, he scrunches up his nose till it looks like a misshapen potato, and the handsome face gets distorted. He should not do such OTT stuff. Instead, he should use the style he had in the beginning, the face undisturbed, but very menacing. The mirthless grins with the lips drawn back from the teeth but the eyes sneering with icy coldness.

That would have put the fear of God into Ruqaiya.He seems to have forgotten how to do that.

Plus the precap outburst was so predictable. There is only anger of the OTT kind, with Jodha Begums all over, two in one sentence. Ruqaiya Begum ne dhokha diya tha Jodha Begum. it would have been far more effective if he had sat down somewhere and collapsed within himself, and Jodha had come to ask him what was wrong.

I hope he does not reveal the truth to the whole harem, which in turn would mean all of Agra and then of the Mughal sultanate, for it would be very damaging for the reputation of the imperial family and then people would gossip even about Jodha's pregnancy. If he wants to hush it up, he can say she lost the child when she slipped and fell in her hoojra. Who will question his word?

The real punishment for Ruqaiya would be being cut off from Jalal, just as Mahaam was. There is no need for sackcloth and ashes, or public disgrace.

As for the last part of your comments, do recall what I said  in this post:

It might be too much to expect that he would grasp, even if only dimly, that it was his excessive preoccupation with Jodha that has contributed  to Ruqaiya’s escalating insecurity. Or that he would understand that the second, and even more important contributory factor was his failure to get it across to her, gently and affectionately but firmly, that he loves Jodha,  and that Ruqaiya now has to adjust to this, given that her status, and her position in Jalal’s life will remain unchanged.

Shyamala Aunty

Sam_0506

There is no question of “how and why Jalal should have justified his love (for Jodha) to her”. It is not  justification, it is stating a plain and simple fact, and gently breaking it to Ruqaiya that she has to adjust to this and not take her frustrations out on Jodha. Nowadays, when a man falls in love with a new  girl, he has to let his current girlfriend know, does he not? It is different here only insofar as they are both his wives. If you leave things dangling, he is setting things up for an explosion down the road. But then Jalal is perfectly happy babbling that he does not understand women, so  what can one expect?

Aunty, I haven't been able to access forums much these past days. Hence missed your other masterpiece, mystery of missing  missives.. Just superb. Couldn't stop laughing. You take sarcasm in the region of art..  long hug 

This one was quite fun too.. And I read it post bhandafod today. So somehow I could enjoy it more..

Aunty, have you watched today's episode yet? Jalal's controlled rage was just the way you said. controlled, understated, icily cutting.. Hope he continues. Although I wouldn't mind a private break down in front of Jodha, I don't want him to make a spectacle of himself in front "Agra Royal Mahila Mandal". That would demean him.. I additionally don't want Ruqaiya to get scot-free this time with just a slap on the wrist. She needs to be punished. Not just because of this stupendous lie, but mainly because of betraying his trust. She as his bestie knew better than anybody else how much he longed to be a father (mind it not of boy only, he wanted to welcome even a girl equally eagerly). She used that tenderest spot, hit his rawest nerve. No matter her insecurities, her growing fear of losing Jalal, how can anybody hurt anybody this way??

Aunty, Jalal never said he loved her. The same way he didn't say she was less important than Jodha. So I don't get how and why Jalal should have justified his love to her. Of course, I haven't forgotten how he plotted against Jodha initially making Ruqaiya his favorite accomplice. And there he could have explained her how he no longer wanted to hurt Jodha. But does he need to justify or even explain his love to anybody?

This week seems to be action packed. Hope that gives you enough material for such fantastic posts..  hpee

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by mishti on 2014-06-12, 12:48

sashashyam wrote:Folks,

This one will be relatively  brief, as I have  a couple of teenage guests eyeing the laptop
@Bold it is not brief Aunty...but who is complaining? Not me  hpee 

greedily, and I do not know how long I can hold them off! hpee  So this is going to be only about Rajat/Jalal, peripherally about Ruqaiya and Jodha, and in passing about Shehnaaz. Please bear with me if there is anything else that you would have wanted me to cover!

Let me start with last night’s precap. I could not quite understand what had set Jalal off on this track,  but that will surely be clarified tonight. But I was struck by one thing,  quite apart from what is going to hit him once the truth is out.  It was this.

Scotching the scandal?:Jalal does it all by himself, of course along with the unavoidable hakima. He does NOT bring in his counsellor  par excellence for all things under the sun, Salima Begum (or at least so I hope!) .

Which means that he does not want this to become a full blown scandal that will reverberate thru the harem, and then across Agra and the Mughal empire. For, as the culprit is his Begum-e-Khaas, any such scandal would surely  lower the prestige of the Mughal royal family as a whole. And even, in the future, call into question the legitimacy of Jalal’s eventual heir, for the gossips would argue  that Ruqaiya must have been planning to foist some baby or the other on Jalal  as the heir, and that others might also have  later followed her lead.

This, if I am correct, would then mean that though he would freeze Ruqaiya out of  his life as far as possible, he would not want to publicise the matter, and might have it hushed up as a miscarriage. The best, from Jalal’s point of view, would be for  no one, not even Hamida Banu and her coterie,  to know anything of the truth. The hakima would never dare open her mouth in any case.

This course of action would be in line with his behaviour during the (admittedly far less serious) moorti kaand.  Then, as you would remember, Jalal had torn a strip off Ruqaiya, but sttictly in private, and he did not let her be shamed publicly. It was the same when Salima intruded on Ruqaiya’s tearful apology after his break-up with Mahaam. He did not let Salima guess anything of what had gone wrong with Ruqaiya, for all that he accords her a lot of respect and trusts her in all things. 

Betrayal ++: This time around, however, the depth of the betrayal by Ruqaiya, and the depth of the hurt she has  inflicted on him, might make Jalal react far more  ferociously. After all, it is not only the destruction, for the present, of  his dream of  being called Abba Huzoor. Far  more corrosive would be  the loss of faith in a friend and companion of practically his whole life.

The two together might severely strain Jalal’s mental and emotional resources, and he might lash out like a wounded lion. But I hope not, and I confess that I would be greatly relieved if he is able to control himself, and the situation, with icy maturity.

It might be too much to expect that he would grasp, even if only dimly, that it was his excessive preoccupation with Jodha that has contributed  to Ruqaiya’s escalating insecurity. Or that he would understand that the second, and even more important contributory factor was his failure to get it across to her, gently and affectionately but firmly, that he loves Jodha,  and that Ruqaiya now has to adjust to this, given that her status, and her position in Jalal’s life will remain unchanged.

For it is  almost a given  that the CVs will, in due course,  give Jodha  the credit for persuading  the estranged Jalal to eventually forgive Ruqaiya.  For that to happen, he would now have to break off completely with Ruqaiya over her awful deceit in this matter.

Heartbreak ahead : Jalal once said that his life rested on  3 pillars: his Khan Baba, his Badiammi, and Ruqaiya Begum.  One has died, the other has betrayed him. If the third too should turn out to be a  disgraceful  cheat, Jalal would be shattered.  He would then have only one emotional  support left: Jodha, for I am sure he will take her into his confidence. He would not be able to cope with this one alone.

But the agony of Ruqaiya’s betrayal – so heartless in its folly, so uncaring of his jazbaat on such an ultra sensitive issue  - would still be there, eating away at his heart, and not even the comforting touch of the woman he loves would be able to heal that  wound.

Oh Ruqaiya, you benighted idiot, what have  you done ? Not only to yourself, but to Jalal?

The dreams of an Abba Huzoor: Last night,  even I,  a confirmed non-sentimentalist,  was moved to tears as  Jalal was swept away on a tide of emotion centred on the child who would call him Abba Huzoor. It was a superb rendition by Rajat, who handled that very difficult scene with a sure touch,  and the ability to let go without any holding back,  that must have touched the hardest of hearts.

I echo your sentiments, but when the actual scene was playing, I couldn't help but laugh, I could only visualize Jalal talking to Ruqaiya's stomach  hppy 

Let us not underestimate what Rajat  accomplished last night.  It is not easy. In fact it is very hard to make a man, that too such a mighty emperor, seem utterly natural and moving  as he  weeps thinking of the joy his child will bring him, when he kneels in front of the mother-to-be and  talks to what he imagines is the baby he will soon hold in his arms, whose palna  he will soon rock.

It was terrible to watch  Jalal  luxuriating  in the  anticipation of the  greatest joy life could offer him. For one knew that all this was a cruel farce, that the bitter truth would  very soon poison his existence, like the hemlock of the ancient Greeks. But unlike their poison, mercifully lethal, this one would  leave him alive but wounded to the depths of his being.

@bold: you reminded me of my most favourite Shakespearean work Hamlet. 

In the precap, as Jalal sees the colour of the vomit (ugh.. are we never to be free of these varicoloured vomits?) , his face freezes in horror. What will he do next? 

Ruqaiya: She  finally realises, as she watches Jalal’s delight at the prospect of the child, watches his eyes fill with tears of joyous anticipation, watches his face as he talks to his child, the  cruelty, the stupidity, the thoughtlessness of what she has done to him. Her repentance,  which surfaces at long last,   is genuine, because it is for him, nor because she is now in a chakravyuh of the kind that defeated even Abhimanyu. But it is  too late.

@Bold: It was too little, too late...and after watching night's episode, she still doesn't grasp the seriousness of her act...she's seeing it as a mistake and not as a betrayal.  Bang  Bang  Bang 

As I wrote on my last thread, I simply cannot fathom  the kind of folly that made Ruqaiya go into this charade without an exit plan. She seems to have no notion of what to do even in the short term, and when Mahaam poses this very pertinent question, she is content to trust to her luck.  It was unbelievable!

And this is the woman who was said to be so sharp and intelligent that Jalal always consulted her about siyasati  matters, and in fact came all the way to Agra to seek her advice re: Amer? Maybe the real Ruqaiya went away with Smiley, leaving this idiotic, insensitive changeling in her place!

I generally have a mild soft corner for Ruqaiya, but not last night. I felt that she deserved  every bit of what would be coming to her, and if  I wanted Jalal to be mature in handling this affair, it was for him, not for her.

Jodha: There seems to  be nothing much to say about her last night: she was like a pre-programmed robot during the scene with Jalal and Ruqaiya, alternately smiling with delight and looking moved and astonished all at once. The only good thing was that unlike what happened during Jalal’s April 4 tirade, Jodha last night did not get her expressions mixed up and mis-timed!

It was the same when Jalal tried to make her his confidante and advisor re: Chand Begum. He is at a bit of a loose end about such family matters now,  and  seems to think it best to use Jodha as a totally trustworthy sounding board. But he draws a blank here, for she has no ideas to offer, and simply looks blankly at him ashe looks at the (admittedly substandard) portrait of Chand Begum.

@bold: It has always been the case Aunty, remember during Sukanya's wedding too, when Jalal had put Jodha in his shoes, for being a Shehanshaah, the price he'd to pay....and asked her thoughts about what he should  do....she had nothing to offer him, let alone she didn't understand the gravity of his position then and did what she does best, except, then it was a hollow lecture preached to him.

Circumstantial errors: That scene was also an illustration of the perils in  interpreting circumstantial evidence. Because the attack on him (and Jodha) on the way from the mandir to the orphanage occurred soon after he set in motion a thorough search for Chand Begum, Jalal concludes that the two issues are linked. But of course  they are not.

The namaaz scene: Yes, yes, Jodha’s  performance during the namaaz scene. I am perfectly prepared to admit that when she asks him to teach  her about the Muslim form of prayer, Jodha looked, for once, completely convincing.  Her eyes lit up,  and when she adjusted her dupatta and brought out the prayer mat, she looked for all the world like an eager child looking forward to a special treat, while Jalal’s delight bubbled over in his radiant smile.

But the scene itself, sweet though it was, did not call for any great acting. It was only a series of vignettes of two very goodlooking  young people,  and they did not even bother to show Jalal teaching Jodha what she should recite during the namaaz and what it meant. It thus looked odd, to see her lips moving ceaselessly when she could not have known what to recite!

NB: Where on earth did Jalal find that white pagdi in Jodha’s rooms? One instant, as she is turning aside to find a mat, he is smiling and bare-headed. The next instant, when she is spreading out the mat, lo and behold, he is all togged out in the safed pagdi!

Aunty that is understood na...CVs are telling us to imagine, that Jalal asked some baandi to bring in the white pagdi and taught Jodha what to recite.... Idea 
===============================================================

The one place where I really liked Jodha  last night was when she was seeing off young Mansingh, togged out in what looked like an overturned saucepan on his head.  hpee 

I was pleasantly surprised that she told him to go ahead and do his duty to the Mughal sultanate,  and enhance his Rajvanshi reputation as well. I had been almost sure that she would deliver a bhashan to Jalal on the inviolability of the rule of sanctuary, and insist that the Rajvanshi Raja of Panna could thus not be expected to hand over a sharanaarti to the Mughals. Our Jodha Begum is a changing, folks!

Do biwiwale ki dastaan: The opening scene of the Monday episode, when  a raging Ruqaiya descends on Jalal-Jodha,   was a treat, and all because of Rajat’s  Jalal. I never fail to be taken by surprise by the boy’s sheer range, and in that segment, he was a marvel of minutiae.

First, when he catches sight of Ruqaiya, there was the expression of a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar as Mummy  turns up unexpectedly in the kitchen hpee . Till then, he was happily nodding his head in comfortable acquiescence as his fount of wisdom, his Jodha Begum, was telling him exactly what to do when and why. But alas, it all comes suddenly to naught as the pocket size fury, his Begum-e-Khaas,  lands up.

As she berates Jodha and warns her off her, Ruqaiya’s turf, Jalal looks bewildered and at a loss as to what to do, exactly like every do biwiwala shauhar  is bound to be at some point of his beleaguered existence. It was utterly superb, the expressions chasing each other across his face.

Then he summons up all his resources of experience in handling Ruqaiya, and begins soothing her down,  reassuring her that he was not just all right but had never been at risk. And it begins well.

But then the gremlin  that trips up such  much married husbands surfaces, and Jalal starts babbling of Jodha Begum’s hunar as a warrior ( I do not know if Jalal was a zero in arithmetic as well, for nothing else can explain his insistence that Jodha had disabled 20 renegades, when one could not count more than a dozen in all, and Jalal had taken care of several of those! hpee ).

@Bold He can't read and write, so his calculations are random scratch  scratch 

No one but a besotted fool  would have done what he does at this point, and actually believed that Ruqaiya would be pleased by his gushing encomiums to Jodha. Even between siblings, it is never wise to praise one child too much in front of the other, and these are soutens! 

But Jalal’s profile as he looks adoringly up at Jodha Begum,  was a tour de force for Rajat. I could not have imagined that a bare profile could be made so expressive! No wonder Ruqaiya, watching him, sees red and treats him to a prolonged sulk all the way to her rooms!

Once there, Jalal is back in full, familiar form with his bachpan ki dost. He is delightful as he coaxes her back into good humour, turning her to face him, cupping her face in his hands and questioning her, his face full of mischief, Khush hain ab? And as she finally smiles back, his face lights up with happy satisfaction.

It was a lovely little scene, lit up with what Mira Nair called old shoe love (between Naseeruddin Shah and Lilette Dubey in her Monsoon Wedding), the kind between a  miyan-biwi  who have spent years together and know everything there is to know each about the other. My heart ached when I thought of how short-lived this  old shoe love was doomed to  be.

Water splashed to no purpose!: That, folks, is almost it. I did not think very much of Jalal’s water-splashing scene, though Rajat’s  timing at the beginning was impeccable,  and made it look almost  like the old Jalal.

Aunty!!!! Haiiiiiii!!!! he was looking soooooo ummm if I may use the word scorching HOTTTT:*love*:  Starry Love  Starry Love  of course before he opened his mouth  hpee 

But when he started on how he would not tolerate any attack on his azeez,  it  began coming apart. What on earth did he mean, that it was ok, and pardonable, for someone to attack him with the intent to kill, because it is the common lot of a Shahenshah? But that capital punishment must be mandatory is even a katra of the blood of his azeez  (read Jodha Begum) was shed in the process ? Bizarre, and  made no sense at all. No  wonder Abul Mali survived, and thrived, on repeated assassination attempts against Jalal!

Shehnaaz: You have all said everything that needed to be said about the folly of Shehnaaz’s characterization, so I will desist from adding my two bits to the chorus. But what would you bet that Jodha will not only unmask this scatty female, but will also wean her away from her blind hatred of Jalal,  and instal her in the Agra palace as Bakshi Bano II?

It does sound a tad improbable given Shehnaaz’s imperial ambitions, but who knows? Jodha can always do with one more coat of gilt to her halo! hpee     

Two feet of separation :I had wanted to go into the all important issue of reservations in romantic scenes, but time presses,  and I shall have to keep that for my next. Never fear, the topic will not get out-dated in Jodha Akbar, not with our heroine,  with her penchant for body doubles and two feet of separation (not two metres? What a  pity! hpee ).

Shyamala/Aunty

mishti

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-12, 12:55

I agree completely, Priyanka, but why are you surprised at the reaction among the Jodha-philes? Naturally they would want Ruqaiya slapped,and consistency be damned. He does give her a hard shove when she confesses at the end of the Mahaam break up.

And in any case, he is not the slapping kind. Even during his ferocious outburst on April 4, he stops himself just in time from slapping Jodha.
As for the rest, do see my  responses to Greeshma and some others above. They would interest you.
Shyamala Aunty

shiningways2407I dont understand y ppl (of IF)
expect a tight slap from jalal.
 Jab jodha ko dhakka diya
to domestic violence n now they
want a tight slap.
@aunty n munni 
I seriously believe that for
ruks OTT follies 5 -10% 
jalal's (ekta's jalal) OTT pampering is
responsible, N 90-95%
 Ruks' stupid brain n immature brain.
N Hamida is also responsible.
I dont know in what sense 
she treats ruks as her daughter.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-12, 12:56

Oh, you kids! All you want it someone HOT!!! Well, well, it is the generation gap showing up!  hpee 
Plus, my little Mishti, you have to pay attention to qualifying words. I wrote "relatively brief", ie as compared to my 5 pagers! Then again, I never understand how all of you wade thru them AND like them. It is most flattering.

Shyamala Aunty

mishti
sashashyam wrote:Folks,

This one will be relatively  brief, as I have  a couple of teenage guests eyeing the laptop
@Bold it is not brief Aunty...but who is complaining? Not me  hpee 

greedily, and I do not know how long I can hold them off! hpee  So this is going to be only about Rajat/Jalal, peripherally about Ruqaiya and Jodha, and in passing about Shehnaaz. Please bear with me if there is anything else that you would have wanted me to cover!

Let me start with last night’s precap. I could not quite understand what had set Jalal off on this track,  but that will surely be clarified tonight. But I was struck by one thing,  quite apart from what is going to hit him once the truth is out.  It was this.

Scotching the scandal?:Jalal does it all by himself, of course along with the unavoidable hakima. He does NOT bring in his counsellor  par excellence for all things under the sun, Salima Begum (or at least so I hope!) .

Which means that he does not want this to become a full blown scandal that will reverberate thru the harem, and then across Agra and the Mughal empire. For, as the culprit is his Begum-e-Khaas, any such scandal would surely  lower the prestige of the Mughal royal family as a whole. And even, in the future, call into question the legitimacy of Jalal’s eventual heir, for the gossips would argue  that Ruqaiya must have been planning to foist some baby or the other on Jalal  as the heir, and that others might also have  later followed her lead.

This, if I am correct, would then mean that though he would freeze Ruqaiya out of  his life as far as possible, he would not want to publicise the matter, and might have it hushed up as a miscarriage. The best, from Jalal’s point of view, would be for  no one, not even Hamida Banu and her coterie,  to know anything of the truth. The hakima would never dare open her mouth in any case.

This course of action would be in line with his behaviour during the (admittedly far less serious) moorti kaand.  Then, as you would remember, Jalal had torn a strip off Ruqaiya, but sttictly in private, and he did not let her be shamed publicly. It was the same when Salima intruded on Ruqaiya’s tearful apology after his break-up with Mahaam. He did not let Salima guess anything of what had gone wrong with Ruqaiya, for all that he accords her a lot of respect and trusts her in all things. 

Betrayal ++: This time around, however, the depth of the betrayal by Ruqaiya, and the depth of the hurt she has  inflicted on him, might make Jalal react far more  ferociously. After all, it is not only the destruction, for the present, of  his dream of  being called Abba Huzoor. Far  more corrosive would be  the loss of faith in a friend and companion of practically his whole life.

The two together might severely strain Jalal’s mental and emotional resources, and he might lash out like a wounded lion. But I hope not, and I confess that I would be greatly relieved if he is able to control himself, and the situation, with icy maturity.

For it is  almost a given  that the CVs will, in due course,  give Jodha  the credit for persuading  the estranged Jalal to eventually forgive Ruqaiya.  For that to happen, he would now have to break off completely with Ruqaiya over her awful deceit in this matter.

Heartbreak ahead : Jalal once said that his life rested on  3 pillars: his Khan Baba, his Badiammi, and Ruqaiya Begum.  One has died, the other has betrayed him. If the third too should turn out to be a  disgraceful  cheat, Jalal would be shattered.  He would then have only one emotional  support left: Jodha, for I am sure he will take her into his confidence. He would not be able to cope with this one alone.

But the agony of Ruqaiya’s betrayal – so heartless in its folly, so uncaring of his jazbaat on such an ultra sensitive issue  - would still be there, eating away at his heart, and not even the comforting touch of the woman he loves would be able to heal that  wound.

Oh Ruqaiya, you benighted idiot, what have  you done ? Not only to yourself, but to Jalal?

The dreams of an Abba Huzoor: Last night,  even I,  a confirmed non-sentimentalist,  was moved to tears as  Jalal was swept away on a tide of emotion centred on the child who would call him Abba Huzoor. It was a superb rendition by Rajat, who handled that very difficult scene with a sure touch,  and the ability to let go without any holding back,  that must have touched the hardest of hearts.

I echo your sentiments, but when the actual scene was playing, I couldn't help but laugh, I could only visualize Jalal talking to Ruqaiya's stomach  hppy 

Let us not underestimate what Rajat  accomplished last night.  It is not easy. In fact it is very hard to make a man, that too such a mighty emperor, seem utterly natural and moving  as he  weeps thinking of the joy his child will bring him, when he kneels in front of the mother-to-be and  talks to what he imagines is the baby he will soon hold in his arms, whose palna  he will soon rock.

It was terrible to watch  Jalal  luxuriating  in the  anticipation of the  greatest joy life could offer him. For one knew that all this was a cruel farce, that the bitter truth would  very soon poison his existence, like the hemlock of the ancient Greeks. But unlike their poison, mercifully lethal, this one would  leave him alive but wounded to the depths of his being.

@bold: you reminded me of my most favourite Shakespearean work Hamlet. 

In the precap, as Jalal sees the colour of the vomit (ugh.. are we never to be free of these varicoloured vomits?) , his face freezes in horror. What will he do next? 

Ruqaiya: She  finally realises, as she watches Jalal’s delight at the prospect of the child, watches his eyes fill with tears of joyous anticipation, watches his face as he talks to his child, the  cruelty, the stupidity, the thoughtlessness of what she has done to him. Her repentance,  which surfaces at long last,   is genuine, because it is for him, nor because she is now in a chakravyuh of the kind that defeated even Abhimanyu. But it is  too late.

@Bold: It was too little, too late...and after watching night's episode, she still doesn't grasp the seriousness of her act...she's seeing it as a mistake and not as a betrayal.  Bang  Bang  Bang 

As I wrote on my last thread, I simply cannot fathom  the kind of folly that made Ruqaiya go into this charade without an exit plan. She seems to have no notion of what to do even in the short term, and when Mahaam poses this very pertinent question, she is content to trust to her luck.  It was unbelievable!

And this is the woman who was said to be so sharp and intelligent that Jalal always consulted her about siyasati  matters, and in fact came all the way to Agra to seek her advice re: Amer? Maybe the real Ruqaiya went away with Smiley, leaving this idiotic, insensitive changeling in her place!

I generally have a mild soft corner for Ruqaiya, but not last night. I felt that she deserved  every bit of what would be coming to her, and if  I wanted Jalal to be mature in handling this affair, it was for him, not for her.

Jodha: There seems to  be nothing much to say about her last night: she was like a pre-programmed robot during the scene with Jalal and Ruqaiya, alternately smiling with delight and looking moved and astonished all at once. The only good thing was that unlike what happened during Jalal’s April 4 tirade, Jodha last night did not get her expressions mixed up and mis-timed!

It was the same when Jalal tried to make her his confidante and advisor re: Chand Begum. He is at a bit of a loose end about such family matters now,  and  seems to think it best to use Jodha as a totally trustworthy sounding board. But he draws a blank here, for she has no ideas to offer, and simply looks blankly at him ashe looks at the (admittedly substandard) portrait of Chand Begum.

@bold: It has always been the case Aunty, remember during Sukanya's wedding too, when Jalal had put Jodha in his shoes, for being a Shehanshaah, the price he'd to pay....and asked her thoughts about what he should  do....she had nothing to offer him, let alone she didn't understand the gravity of his position then and did what she does best, except, then it was a hollow lecture preached to him.

Circumstantial errors: That scene was also an illustration of the perils in  interpreting circumstantial evidence. Because the attack on him (and Jodha) on the way from the mandir to the orphanage occurred soon after he set in motion a thorough search for Chand Begum, Jalal concludes that the two issues are linked. But of course  they are not.

The namaaz scene: Yes, yes, Jodha’s  performance during the namaaz scene. I am perfectly prepared to admit that when she asks him to teach  her about the Muslim form of prayer, Jodha looked, for once, completely convincing.  Her eyes lit up,  and when she adjusted her dupatta and brought out the prayer mat, she looked for all the world like an eager child looking forward to a special treat, while Jalal’s delight bubbled over in his radiant smile.

But the scene itself, sweet though it was, did not call for any great acting. It was only a series of vignettes of two very goodlooking  young people,  and they did not even bother to show Jalal teaching Jodha what she should recite during the namaaz and what it meant. It thus looked odd, to see her lips moving ceaselessly when she could not have known what to recite!

NB: Where on earth did Jalal find that white pagdi in Jodha’s rooms? One instant, as she is turning aside to find a mat, he is smiling and bare-headed. The next instant, when she is spreading out the mat, lo and behold, he is all togged out in the safed pagdi!

Aunty that is understood na...CVs are telling us to imagine, that Jalal asked some baandi to bring in the white pagdi and taught Jodha what to recite.... Idea 
===============================================================

The one place where I really liked Jodha  last night was when she was seeing off young Mansingh, togged out in what looked like an overturned saucepan on his head.  hpee 

I was pleasantly surprised that she told him to go ahead and do his duty to the Mughal sultanate,  and enhance his Rajvanshi reputation as well. I had been almost sure that she would deliver a bhashan to Jalal on the inviolability of the rule of sanctuary, and insist that the Rajvanshi Raja of Panna could thus not be expected to hand over a sharanaarti to the Mughals. Our Jodha Begum is a changing, folks!

Do biwiwale ki dastaan: The opening scene of the Monday episode, when  a raging Ruqaiya descends on Jalal-Jodha,   was a treat, and all because of Rajat’s  Jalal. I never fail to be taken by surprise by the boy’s sheer range, and in that segment, he was a marvel of minutiae.

First, when he catches sight of Ruqaiya, there was the expression of a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar as Mummy  turns up unexpectedly in the kitchen hpee . Till then, he was happily nodding his head in comfortable acquiescence as his fount of wisdom, his Jodha Begum, was telling him exactly what to do when and why. But alas, it all comes suddenly to naught as the pocket size fury, his Begum-e-Khaas,  lands up.

As she berates Jodha and warns her off her, Ruqaiya’s turf, Jalal looks bewildered and at a loss as to what to do, exactly like every do biwiwala shauhar  is bound to be at some point of his beleaguered existence. It was utterly superb, the expressions chasing each other across his face.

Then he summons up all his resources of experience in handling Ruqaiya, and begins soothing her down,  reassuring her that he was not just all right but had never been at risk. And it begins well.

But then the gremlin  that trips up such  much married husbands surfaces, and Jalal starts babbling of Jodha Begum’s hunar as a warrior ( I do not know if Jalal was a zero in arithmetic as well, for nothing else can explain his insistence that Jodha had disabled 20 renegades, when one could not count more than a dozen in all, and Jalal had taken care of several of those! hpee ).

@Bold He can't read and write, so his calculations are random scratch  scratch 

No one but a besotted fool  would have done what he does at this point, and actually believed that Ruqaiya would be pleased by his gushing encomiums to Jodha. Even between siblings, it is never wise to praise one child too much in front of the other, and these are soutens! 

But Jalal’s profile as he looks adoringly up at Jodha Begum,  was a tour de force for Rajat. I could not have imagined that a bare profile could be made so expressive! No wonder Ruqaiya, watching him, sees red and treats him to a prolonged sulk all the way to her rooms!

Once there, Jalal is back in full, familiar form with his bachpan ki dost. He is delightful as he coaxes her back into good humour, turning her to face him, cupping her face in his hands and questioning her, his face full of mischief, Khush hain ab? And as she finally smiles back, his face lights up with happy satisfaction.

It was a lovely little scene, lit up with what Mira Nair called old shoe love (between Naseeruddin Shah and Lilette Dubey in her Monsoon Wedding), the kind between a  miyan-biwi  who have spent years together and know everything there is to know each about the other. My heart ached when I thought of how short-lived this  old shoe love was doomed to  be.

Water splashed to no purpose!: That, folks, is almost it. I did not think very much of Jalal’s water-splashing scene, though Rajat’s  timing at the beginning was impeccable,  and made it look almost  like the old Jalal.

Aunty!!!! Haiiiiiii!!!! he was looking soooooo ummm if I may use the word scorching HOTTTT:*love*:  Starry Love  Starry Love  of course before he opened his mouth  hpee 

But when he started on how he would not tolerate any attack on his azeez,  it  began coming apart. What on earth did he mean, that it was ok, and pardonable, for someone to attack him with the intent to kill, because it is the common lot of a Shahenshah? But that capital punishment must be mandatory is even a katra of the blood of his azeez  (read Jodha Begum) was shed in the process ? Bizarre, and  made no sense at all. No  wonder Abul Mali survived, and thrived, on repeated assassination attempts against Jalal!

Shehnaaz: You have all said everything that needed to be said about the folly of Shehnaaz’s characterization, so I will desist from adding my two bits to the chorus. But what would you bet that Jodha will not only unmask this scatty female, but will also wean her away from her blind hatred of Jalal,  and instal her in the Agra palace as Bakshi Bano II?

It does sound a tad improbable given Shehnaaz’s imperial ambitions, but who knows? Jodha can always do with one more coat of gilt to her halo! hpee     

Two feet of separation :I had wanted to go into the all important issue of reservations in romantic scenes, but time presses,  and I shall have to keep that for my next. Never fear, the topic will not get out-dated in Jodha Akbar, not with our heroine,  with her penchant for body doubles and two feet of separation (not two metres? What a  pity! hpee ).

Shyamala/Aunty

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by smile.sara on 2014-06-12, 13:00

Hi AUNTY
 hpee

smile.sara

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-12, 13:02

Hello, Sara my pet! I will be back to respond to your comments about Ruqaiya. In the meantime,be a good girl! Shyamala Auntysmile.sara wrote:Hi AUNTY
 hpee

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by mandygi on 2014-06-12, 13:05

shyamala just briefing through comments will reply in details later..i too agree that rajat went a bit ott in showing his anger somehow i did not get impressed much...he has raised the bar himself so high that our expectations r too high..will elaborate later!

mandygi
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by smile.sara on 2014-06-12, 13:24

I m not saying rukayya is justifying ... no she is not .... I know they totally change the earlier character of smiley rukayya for their own convenience....

but still when we were so annoying with his manju giri and we all were so irritated we an think how much would be ruku feeling ....the maham last outburst wa more justify in ruku case....

I was astonished when jalal said to ruku when he thought his doubt was wrong...tht I will spend time and will tell u every thing like earlier..thats mean he also knew he has change he knew friend ship suffering a lot due to love .... which is soul reason of this damage of their  relation

smile.sara

Back to top Go down

Post by riyya6 on 2014-06-12, 13:30

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-12, 13:32

Riyya darling, WHERE did you find this one? Shyamala Auntyriyya6 wrote:

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by riyya6 on 2014-06-12, 13:37

sashashyam wrote:
Riyya darling, WHERE did you find this one? Shyamala Auntyriyya6 wrote:

For IPK it was : Redux in Power (RIP)....

For JA ; It is Rest In Peace (RIP)....

riyya6
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-06-12, 14:26

@Aunty The real revelation scene b/w RukLal only started..it'l continue today too..His reaction were apt except the last part..he was very angry..Even HS was there..He was almost acting like a king,and not the one who betrayed by his best friend..Today the anger is going to convert into deep hurt..i hope Ruk open up abt her insecurities, fears,infront of him completely instead of saying "hamey maaf kijiye jalal" repeatedly..
I agree with u completely about precap..i'm very much confused about the promo..He is badly hurt becoz of his Best friend's betrayel,and his dream of being a father crashed..He is romamcing with his other begam..it dosen't make any sense..

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-06-12, 14:34

smile.sara wrote:I m not saying rukayya is justifying ... no she is not .... I know they totally change the earlier character of smiley rukayya for their own convenience....

but still when we were so annoying with his manju giri and we all were so irritated we an think how much would be ruku feeling ....the maham last outburst wa more justify in ruku case....

I was astonished when jalal said to ruku when he thought his doubt was wrong...tht I will spend time and will tell u every thing like earlier..thats mean he also knew he has change he knew friend ship suffering a lot due to love .... which is soul reason of this damage of their  relation

@ bold completely agree with u sara..i too was shocked hearing dat from jalal..like oh , u r really pregnent,so i'l spent time u like before..i'l tell everything with u like before ..what type of deal is dis?? I liked the way he investigated the whole thing yesterday..but dat one dialogue gives us a clear cut idea wher their relation stands now...

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-12, 14:37

No, it does not, but when do the scripts here make any sense? And don't expect this Ruqaiya to do anything as sensible as what you are suggesting, though she does say, Aapko wapas paane ke liye.Shyamala AuntyGreeshma014 wrote:@Aunty The real revelation scene b/w RukLal only started..it'l continue today too..His reaction were apt except the last part..he was very angry..Even HS was there..He was almost acting like a king,and not the one who betrayed by his best friend..Today the anger is going to convert into deep hurt..i hope Ruk open up abt her insecurities, fears,infront of him completely instead of saying "hamey maaf kijiye jalal" repeatedly..
I agree with u completely about precap..i'm very much confused about the promo..He is badly hurt becoz of his Best friend's betrayel,and his dream of being a father crashed..He is romamcing with his other begam..it dosen't make any sense..

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by shiningways2407 on 2014-06-12, 14:45

@grees my view on promo
is that its just a specially shot
promo n atleast the romance
kinda thing is not gonna take
place on friday.
Its just like 1st march ME promo
where jo said to ruk '' ye aapka
ahenkaar bol rha hai'' but in 
actual epi nothing like that
was said.

shiningways2407

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-06-12, 17:25

In yesterday's episode HS told Ruk can't b a mother never ever in her life becoz of the strong ark which was given to her..Ruk already knew dat too..And all dis caused becoz of MA..Adham's death, cave mystery everything going to happen soon..what abt MA involvent in MC?? And Ruk already know she can't b a mother.. I think she left the dream of being MUZ long time ago..now i'm it's 100% confirmed dat she did everything to get jalal's love, not any power..But her plan was very very wrong..I'm not understanding one thing..why everyone thinks dat Ruk is out of JJ life, Ruk's role ends in jalal's life ..she lost jalal completely etc, etc..ofcourse, she lost jalal, but temporarly..He is angry with her,and wil stop talking with her..And Ruk is not going to give up..she wil ask forgiveness again and again..i don't think CVs wil drag this separation so long..Afterall she is not the lead..And also according to history,he didn't stop talking with her for years..it only mentions dat due to some personal differences,dey were not in gud terms with each other for sometimes..dat's it..But at that time too Akbar gave her full freedom in political and harem matters..Her power, title everything was same as before..Most of the forum people happy dat Ruk's screen space wil b less now onwards..i think reverse is going to happen....They r going to show more Ruk-jalal scenes to show how much jalal hurt by her betrayel,and how much Ruk regretting becoz of it..dat's why paridhi got another vecation...

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-06-12, 20:47

gr8 going CVs, u opened another window for jalal bashing today from both jodha & ruku fans. & the most worst part is they just snatched away an opportunity from rajat to give an wonderful performance. Bang 

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-06-12, 20:54

munnirony wrote:gr8 going CVs, u opened another window for jalal bashing today from both jodha & ruku fans. & the most worst part is they just snatched away an opportunity from rajat to give an wonderful performance. Bang 

what happened Munni?? I'm a jalal fan..love Ruks too..i won't mind jalal punishing Ruk..she deserves it..Didn't read WU..no courage at all to read it..my poor jalal..

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by shiningways2407 on 2014-06-12, 21:20

@munni what happened
now???
If ur reaction is becoz
of IF  ppl then simply
ignore them.
Even I have stooped coming
to IF(except to check mandy's, post) 
Even I m fan of jalal
n ruk as well,n have criticised
them for their follies n appreciated for their good deeds.
But ppl on IF will blame jalal
for everything.
They r blaming him that
he didnt punish ruk but
will not criticise jodha devi
for giving''saugandh.'' they
have created diff rules for
jo n ruklal.

shiningways2407

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-06-12, 21:22

Greeshma014 wrote:
munnirony wrote:gr8 going CVs, u opened another window for jalal bashing today from both jodha & ruku fans. & the most worst part is they just snatched away an opportunity from rajat to give an wonderful performance. Bang 

what happened Munni?? I'm a jalal fan..love Ruks too..i won't mind jalal punishing Ruk..she deserves it..Didn't read WU..no courage at all to read it..my poor jalal..
jalal wanted to punish ruku but jodha stopped him, gave him lectures, blamed him for not giving ruku time & jalal forgave ruku. now jodha fans r saying why did he listened to jodha??? if jodha was in ruku's place he would have slapped jodha, but in ruku's case agreed about his flaws & hugged her. & obviously people who love ruku will say why cant jalal it himself??? why jodha has to give him brains??? CVs ne jalal ka popat bana k rakha hua hain. Bang

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by ngayou on 2014-06-12, 21:22

I ll finally admit it today, really Jodha is really a "mahaan" , & thanks Jo begum for sparing us from Jallu bashing by taking the bashing upon urself too ROFL

ngayou
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-06-12, 21:23

Read wu..i don't knw what to say..what's happening in dis show?? ..dey butchered every character..

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Alakh on 2014-06-12, 21:25

Amazing as usual. Have stopped watching so can't say much.

One thing, whenever I try to search you on Facebook, I end up on kapil sharma's page somehow. Please explain  Wink

Aunty please watch today's Mahabharat episode.. It was so beautiful....... Pls pls plsssssssssss

Alakh
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Alakh on 2014-06-12, 21:26

Greeshma014 wrote:Read wu..i don't knw what to say..what's happening in dis show?? ..dey butchered every character..

She is mother teresa not Jodha hppy

Alakh
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-06-12, 21:27

@shinning, its not about the forum. its about both I-F & dhwani. & maybe today evryone's statements will be justified & thus im angry with the CVs for jalal's portrayal. i neither care about jodha nor do i care about ruku, bcoz both r just the same for me. but at least i was expecting a mind blowing episode where rajat will be showing his wonderful performance, but the CVs snatched tht opportunity from him. Evil or Very Mad

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 05:42

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum