Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 258-259: The death of a dream

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 258-259: The death of a dream

Post by sandhya on 2014-06-17, 01:14

sashashyam wrote:Folks,

Scotching the scandal?:Jalal does it all by himself, of course along with the unavoidable hakima. He does NOT bring in his counsellor  par excellence for all things under the sun, Salima Begum (or at least so I hope!) .

Which means that he does not want this to become a full blown scandal that will reverberate thru the harem, and then across Agra and the Mughal empire. For, as the culprit is his Begum-e-Khaas, any such scandal would surely  lower the prestige of the Mughal royal family as a whole. And even, in the future, call into question the legitimacy of Jalal’s eventual heir, for the gossips would argue  that Ruqaiya must have been planning to foist some baby or the other on Jalal  as the heir, and that others might also have  later followed her lead.

This, if I am correct, would then mean that though he would freeze Ruqaiya out of  his life as far as possible, he would not want to publicise the matter, and might have it hushed up as a miscarriage. The best, from Jalal’s point of view, would be for  no one, not even Hamida Banu and her coterie,  to know anything of the truth. The hakima would never dare open her mouth in any case.

This course of action would be in line with his behaviour during the (admittedly far less serious) moorti kaand.  Then, as you would remember, Jalal had torn a strip off Ruqaiya, but sttictly in private, and he did not let her be shamed publicly. It was the same when Salima intruded on Ruqaiya’s tearful apology after his break-up with Mahaam. He did not let Salima guess anything of what had gone wrong with Ruqaiya, for all that he accords her a lot of respect and trusts her in all things. 

Alas, our tubelight Jalal didn't think that deep! Only the investigation was under the wraps. He then set out in full force to do a Ceasium bomb, but was duly defused by Faraday Cage Jodha Begum.

It might be too much to expect that he would grasp, even if only dimly, that it was his excessive preoccupation with Jodha that has contributed  to Ruqaiya’s escalating insecurity. Or that he would understand that the second, and even more important contributory factor was his failure to get it across to her, gently and affectionately but firmly, that he loves Jodha,  and that Ruqaiya now has to adjust to this, given that her status, and her position in Jalal’s life will remain unchanged.

He didn't and won't. The CVs will do nothing to restore even a semblance of decency in Jalal-Ruqaiya relationship! Bang 

Heartbreak ahead : But the agony of Ruqaiya’s betrayal – so heartless in its folly, so uncaring of his jazbaat on such an ultra sensitive issue  - would still be there, eating away at his heart, and not even the comforting touch of the woman he loves would be able to heal that  wound.

Oh Ruqaiya, you benighted idiot, what have  you done ? Not only to yourself, but to Jalal?
She deserves  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang 

The dreams of an Abba Huzoor: Last night,  even I,  a confirmed non-sentimentalist,  was moved to tears as  Jalal was swept away on a tide of emotion centred on the child who would call him Abba Huzoor. It was a superb rendition by Rajat, who handled that very difficult scene with a sure touch,  and the ability to let go without any holding back,  that must have touched the hardest of hearts.

Let us not underestimate what Rajat  accomplished last night.  It is not easy. In fact it is very hard to make a man, that too such a mighty emperor, seem utterly natural and moving  as he  weeps thinking of the joy his child will bring him, when he kneels in front of the mother-to-be and  talks to what he imagines is the baby he will soon hold in his arms, whose palna  he will soon rock.

As usual, Rajat rocked in the demanding scene.

It was terrible to watch  Jalal  luxuriating  in the  anticipation of the  greatest joy life could offer him. For one knew that all this was a cruel farce, that the bitter truth would  very soon poison his existence, like the hemlock of the ancient Greeks. But unlike their poison, mercifully lethal, this one would  leave him alive but wounded to the depths of his being.

Higher the rise, greater the fall.............Jalal doesn't deserve it at all. So many fooling around with his Abba Huzoor sentiments. No 

The namaaz scene: Yes, yes, Jodha’s  performance during the namaaz scene. I am perfectly prepared to admit that when she asks him to teach  her about the Muslim form of prayer, Jodha looked, for once, completely convincing.  Her eyes lit up,  and when she adjusted her dupatta and brought out the prayer mat, she looked for all the world like an eager child looking forward to a special treat, while Jalal’s delight bubbled over in his radiant smile.

But the scene itself, sweet though it was, did not call for any great acting. It was only a series of vignettes of two very goodlooking  young people,  and they did not even bother to show Jalal teaching Jodha what she should recite during the namaaz and what it meant. It thus looked odd, to see her lips moving ceaselessly when she could not have known what to recite!

Instant turbans, instant verses, instant memorising...............aren't we talking about J the Great? But the genuinity and earnestness in wanting to learn his ways was beautiful and charming.

The one place where I really liked Jodha  last night was when she was seeing off young Mansingh, togged out in what looked like an overturned saucepan on his head.  hpee 

I was pleasantly surprised that she told him to go ahead and do his duty to the Mughal sultanate,  and enhance his Rajvanshi reputation as well. I had been almost sure that she would deliver a bhashan to Jalal on the inviolability of the rule of sanctuary, and insist that the Rajvanshi Raja of Panna could thus not be expected to hand over a sharanaarti to the Mughals. Our Jodha Begum is a changing, folks!

Ah! Finally, she is changing! Hindu vs Hindu wars are now acceptable as she has bahut prem for Jalal! But earlier, killing a dacoit king wasn't!

Do biwiwale ki dastaan: The opening scene of the Monday episode, when  a raging Ruqaiya descends on Jalal-Jodha,   was a treat, and all because of Rajat’s  Jalal. I never fail to be taken by surprise by the boy’s sheer range, and in that segment, he was a marvel of minutiae.

First, when he catches sight of Ruqaiya, there was the expression of a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar as Mummy  turns up unexpectedly in the kitchen hpee . Till then, he was happily nodding his head in comfortable acquiescence as his fount of wisdom, his Jodha Begum, was telling him exactly what to do when and why. But alas, it all comes suddenly to naught as the pocket size fury, his Begum-e-Khaas,  lands up.

As she berates Jodha and warns her off her, Ruqaiya’s turf, Jalal looks bewildered and at a loss as to what to do, exactly like every do biwiwala shauhar  is bound to be at some point of his beleaguered existence. It was utterly superb, the expressions chasing each other across his face.

Aunty, classic. You have caught in words, what Rajat managed through expressions! This was a little toned down version of pre-chauugaan bewilderness!

Then he summons up all his resources of experience in handling Ruqaiya, and begins soothing her down,  reassuring her that he was not just all right but had never been at risk. And it begins well.

But then the gremlin  that trips up such  much married husbands surfaces, and Jalal starts babbling of Jodha Begum’s hunar as a warrior ( I do not know if Jalal was a zero in arithmetic as well, for nothing else can explain his insistence that Jodha had disabled 20 renegades, when one could not count more than a dozen in all, and Jalal had taken care of several of those! hpee ).

No one but a besotted fool  would have done what he does at this point, and actually believed that Ruqaiya would be pleased by his gushing encomiums to Jodha. Even between siblings, it is never wise to praise one child too much in front of the other, and these are soutens! 

Jalal is a besotted fool undoubtedly! Remember his pre-harem-elections behaviour that would have made anyone do something insane!

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-17, 12:46

My dearest Adiana,
I am so pleased that you liked both these scenes as much as I did. I was quite simply blown away.
And the do biwiwala scene was actually much more difficult to do than the other, highly emotional one; subtle comedy is very tough to pull off, but  Rajat pulled it off in style. The pity is that there would not  be many who appreciated that scene as it should have been appreciated. They like high drama, with yelling  and finger pointing!
Shyamala

adianasrShyamala, Rajat is surprising me with his take every time!!!! The dream of Abba huzoor - that entire sequence - with Jalal having that talk with the 'supposed baby in womb' - and the hope expressed of holding his child - that entire gamut of emotions and expressions - this is definitely coming from someone who is living the character!!!!!

And as for the opening sequence of Monday - it was comical!!!! Rajat as 'do biwiyon ke beech phansa shauhar' was brilliant - definitely one does not need stand-up comedy for making the audience laugh - all that is needed is unlimited range in terms of expression or better yet, the ability to visualize the scenario and stand in the shoes of the character and respond to the situation!!!

Have just seen Monday and tuesday epis till now and Rajat was the high point in both!!!!!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-06-17, 12:54

My pet, delightful comments as usual! wrote:
I loved the bits about Jalal's tubelight, and the very sharp aside about his do biwiwala turn being a toned down version of the pre-chaugan scene. I had forgotten that, Sandhya, it was so clever of you  to remember that after so long! That was OTT to the point of being almost ridiculous, the way Jalal was rolling his eyes and appealing to the Oracle of Agra. This time, it was pitch perfect and extremely, but subtly funny. So Rajat would have no problems at all with comedy, it seem.
Shyamala Aunty

sandhya
sashashyam wrote:Folks,

Scotching the scandal?:Jalal does it all by himself, of course along with the unavoidable hakima. He does NOT bring in his counsellor  par excellence for all things under the sun, Salima Begum (or at least so I hope!) .

Which means that he does not want this to become a full blown scandal that will reverberate thru the harem, and then across Agra and the Mughal empire. For, as the culprit is his Begum-e-Khaas, any such scandal would surely  lower the prestige of the Mughal royal family as a whole. And even, in the future, call into question the legitimacy of Jalal’s eventual heir, for the gossips would argue  that Ruqaiya must have been planning to foist some baby or the other on Jalal  as the heir, and that others might also have  later followed her lead.

This, if I am correct, would then mean that though he would freeze Ruqaiya out of  his life as far as possible, he would not want to publicise the matter, and might have it hushed up as a miscarriage. The best, from Jalal’s point of view, would be for  no one, not even Hamida Banu and her coterie,  to know anything of the truth. The hakima would never dare open her mouth in any case.

This course of action would be in line with his behaviour during the (admittedly far less serious) moorti kaand.  Then, as you would remember, Jalal had torn a strip off Ruqaiya, but sttictly in private, and he did not let her be shamed publicly. It was the same when Salima intruded on Ruqaiya’s tearful apology after his break-up with Mahaam. He did not let Salima guess anything of what had gone wrong with Ruqaiya, for all that he accords her a lot of respect and trusts her in all things. 

Alas, our tubelight Jalal didn't think that deep! Only the investigation was under the wraps. He then set out in full force to do a Ceasium bomb, but was duly defused by Faraday Cage Jodha Begum.

It might be too much to expect that he would grasp, even if only dimly, that it was his excessive preoccupation with Jodha that has contributed  to Ruqaiya’s escalating insecurity. Or that he would understand that the second, and even more important contributory factor was his failure to get it across to her, gently and affectionately but firmly, that he loves Jodha,  and that Ruqaiya now has to adjust to this, given that her status, and her position in Jalal’s life will remain unchanged.

He didn't and won't. The CVs will do nothing to restore even a semblance of decency in Jalal-Ruqaiya relationship! Bang

Heartbreak ahead : But the agony of Ruqaiya’s betrayal – so heartless in its folly, so uncaring of his jazbaat on such an ultra sensitive issue  - would still be there, eating away at his heart, and not even the comforting touch of the woman he loves would be able to heal that  wound.

Oh Ruqaiya, you benighted idiot, what have  you done ? Not only to yourself, but to Jalal?
She deserves  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang  Bang 

The dreams of an Abba Huzoor: Last night,  even I,  a confirmed non-sentimentalist,  was moved to tears as  Jalal was swept away on a tide of emotion centred on the child who would call him Abba Huzoor. It was a superb rendition by Rajat, who handled that very difficult scene with a sure touch,  and the ability to let go without any holding back,  that must have touched the hardest of hearts.

Let us not underestimate what Rajat  accomplished last night.  It is not easy. In fact it is very hard to make a man, that too such a mighty emperor, seem utterly natural and moving  as he  weeps thinking of the joy his child will bring him, when he kneels in front of the mother-to-be and  talks to what he imagines is the baby he will soon hold in his arms, whose palna  he will soon rock.

As usual, Rajat rocked in the demanding scene.

It was terrible to watch  Jalal  luxuriating  in the  anticipation of the  greatest joy life could offer him. For one knew that all this was a cruel farce, that the bitter truth would  very soon poison his existence, like the hemlock of the ancient Greeks. But unlike their poison, mercifully lethal, this one would  leave him alive but wounded to the depths of his being.

Higher the rise, greater the fall.............Jalal doesn't deserve it at all. So many fooling around with his Abba Huzoor sentiments. No 

The namaaz scene: Yes, yes, Jodha’s  performance during the namaaz scene. I am perfectly prepared to admit that when she asks him to teach  her about the Muslim form of prayer, Jodha looked, for once, completely convincing.  Her eyes lit up,  and when she adjusted her dupatta and brought out the prayer mat, she looked for all the world like an eager child looking forward to a special treat, while Jalal’s delight bubbled over in his radiant smile.

But the scene itself, sweet though it was, did not call for any great acting. It was only a series of vignettes of two very goodlooking  young people,  and they did not even bother to show Jalal teaching Jodha what she should recite during the namaaz and what it meant. It thus looked odd, to see her lips moving ceaselessly when she could not have known what to recite!

Instant turbans, instant verses, instant memorising...............aren't we talking about J the Great? But the genuinity and earnestness in wanting to learn his ways was beautiful and charming.

The one place where I really liked Jodha  last night was when she was seeing off young Mansingh, togged out in what looked like an overturned saucepan on his head.  hpee 

I was pleasantly surprised that she told him to go ahead and do his duty to the Mughal sultanate,  and enhance his Rajvanshi reputation as well. I had been almost sure that she would deliver a bhashan to Jalal on the inviolability of the rule of sanctuary, and insist that the Rajvanshi Raja of Panna could thus not be expected to hand over a sharanaarti to the Mughals. Our Jodha Begum is a changing, folks!

Ah! Finally, she is changing! Hindu vs Hindu wars are now acceptable as she has bahut prem for Jalal! But earlier, killing a dacoit king wasn't!

Do biwiwale ki dastaan: The opening scene of the Monday episode, when  a raging Ruqaiya descends on Jalal-Jodha,   was a treat, and all because of Rajat’s  Jalal. I never fail to be taken by surprise by the boy’s sheer range, and in that segment, he was a marvel of minutiae.

First, when he catches sight of Ruqaiya, there was the expression of a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar as Mummy  turns up unexpectedly in the kitchen hpee . Till then, he was happily nodding his head in comfortable acquiescence as his fount of wisdom, his Jodha Begum, was telling him exactly what to do when and why. But alas, it all comes suddenly to naught as the pocket size fury, his Begum-e-Khaas,  lands up.

As she berates Jodha and warns her off her, Ruqaiya’s turf, Jalal looks bewildered and at a loss as to what to do, exactly like every do biwiwala shauhar  is bound to be at some point of his beleaguered existence. It was utterly superb, the expressions chasing each other across his face.

Aunty, classic. You have caught in words, what Rajat managed through expressions! This was a little toned down version of pre-chauugaan bewilderness!

Then he summons up all his resources of experience in handling Ruqaiya, and begins soothing her down,  reassuring her that he was not just all right but had never been at risk. And it begins well.

But then the gremlin  that trips up such  much married husbands surfaces, and Jalal starts babbling of Jodha Begum’s hunar as a warrior ( I do not know if Jalal was a zero in arithmetic as well, for nothing else can explain his insistence that Jodha had disabled 20 renegades, when one could not count more than a dozen in all, and Jalal had taken care of several of those! hpee ).

No one but a besotted fool  would have done what he does at this point, and actually believed that Ruqaiya would be pleased by his gushing encomiums to Jodha. Even between siblings, it is never wise to praise one child too much in front of the other, and these are soutens! 

Jalal is a besotted fool undoubtedly! Remember his pre-harem-elections behaviour that would have made anyone do something insane!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 14:11

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum