Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 289-293: Week 58: Waiting for Godot 1/ JA 296 P 2

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 289-293: Week 58: Waiting for Godot 1/ JA 296 P 2

Post by sashashyam on 2014-07-29, 01:06

Folks,

This one, my first in over a month, is due to my little Mishti, who wanted my take on the Ruqaiya-Jalal and Ruqaiya solo scenes of Thursday last, and to young Sandhya, who called me to order sternly and reminded me that I had promised to stay with Jodha Akbar till the end “You did. You did. You did!”  If  she had been there with me, I am sure she would have drummed her heels and had a first class tantrum!  hpee 

I am now convinced that I need to have my head  examined for having rashly made such a Bhishma pratigya, but having  done so in the distant past,  when Jodha Akbar was still fresh and appealing, I am  apparently stuck with it now, when JA competes with itself every week to  plumb new depths. The JA CVs would be  recruits of choice for any offshore oil exploration firm!  hpee 

I am still keeping up my record  of not having missed a single episode of the show, but for the past 2 weeks, I have been doing marathon viewings of all 5 episodes every Saturday, like swallowing a bitter kaada in a one huge mouthful rather than in 5 equally bitter sips. 

The harem ‘jung’: I have nothing to say about  Week 57, with the jung  that wasn’t, nor about our limping Jalal’s public  obeisance to his Jodha Begum for having converted a haari jung  into a fateh. I had thought, in my folly, that  it was only a little skirmish by Abul Mali’s Death Eaters against Jalal’s harem, but now I know better. It was clearly on par with  the First and Second Battles of Panipat for sheer magnitude and the seminal significance of the outcome.  hpee 

Okay, now for Week 58. I am going to take it character wise, starting, of course, with Jalal. The poor chap has to be first somewhere!

So my dears, here  it is, and I hope  you will like this one.

Jalal: Rajat is being underutilized, and misused,  on a massive scale these days, and but for the very valid concern about what Ekta would do to him if he quit, I can think of nothing else that is holding him    back in Jodha Akbar.  My heart goes out to the boy.

Jalal had stopped limping by Monday, but by Friday, with his being tossed about like a tennis ball by the man mountain Khaibar, one had  no idea what other Jalal ke badan ka purza  was going to  go wonky .

I shall not even comment on the kind of Mughal security arrangements where there  is no alarm given even after  all the soldiers on the outer perimeter have their throats cut,  and the attackers  calmly proceed to scale the palace walls. Not just that, Atgha  is warned only when Khaibar is practically in the antechamber to the venue of the jashn.  It was beyond belief.

Just before that, Jalal’s attitude towards “Raja Bharmalji” was, to say the least, fawning, as he sought his approval of the jashn  arrangements. Then followed lavish encomiums to his Jodha Begum,  with Jalal attributing to her, and her influence on him,  the whole of Akbar’s inborn sarva dharma sambhava  approach to governance.

This in turn  inspired Raja Bharmalji to launch into  a matching peroration about the manifold virtues of his eldest daughter. He barely stopped short of patting  himself on the back for having contributed to producing this paragon. hpee 

Jalal-Jodha: To go a bit into reverse gear,  the Jalal-Jodha jhagda   about the non-announcement of the happy event ended  not with a bang but with a whimper. I felt a bit let down, since Jalal did not, as I had fully expected he would, seek Jodha Begum’s maafi for his temerity in actually  being brusque  and demanding with her, and even reminding her that he had equal rights to the child (in the 16th century, equal rights to the child for the mother and the father???) . I had in fact expected him, by scene end, to dig out the trusty chabuk and ask her to punish him for his gunaah.

Their subsequent, diabetes-inducing scenes were, to put it kindly, boring. Especially the one with the pickled amla. This must have been at  least partly due  to the arm’s length rule, and the consequent chaste forehead kissing, which always make me wonder  if her maang tika   did not poke him!  hpee  

I cannot imagine any husband and wife who do not even cuddle up close to each other under such circumstances, but let that pass. What I fail to understand is  why Jalal has  to stare like a demented person when informed that Jodha is to have twins.  I thought his eyes were going to pop out.

Again, at the jashn, I could not understand why there were 3 ceremonial seats if it was to be only for the Shahenshah and Jodha Begum. But seeing that there were 3 seats,  it was  for Jalal to have invited Ruqaiya, as his Begum-e-Khaas,  to sit there with him and Jodha, not for Jodha to do so. It looked ungracious on his part.

It was the same with the wish. If he was going to ask Jodha to choose her wish then and there,  he should have asked Ruqaiya too. I can see why making the inclusive  gesture was, in both these cases, left to Jodha; so that she could appear to be that much more gracious and proper. But both instances reflected badly on Jalal.

He  should take a lesson from Maharana Udai Singh of Mewar in Maharana Pratap, who treats his  patrani, Jaiwantibai, with profound respect, and always gives her the dues of her rank in any public function, despite his total infatuation with his younger and favourite queen Dheerbaiji.

Jalal-Ruqaiya: Their scene together was strange, to say the least. Jalal comes in saying that he had not seen her all day and wanted to make sure that she was all right. But his own later words contradict this reassuring statement; he notes that he had come to see her about the jashn  arrangements. Why say one thing only to negate it yourself a minute later?

He then tries awkwardly to recreate some of their old camaraderie, but then that is as dead as the dodo and cannot be resurrected.  Ruqaiya, who seems to have neither expected nor wanted this drop-by  of Jalal’s,  does not even try, after she has, frankly and  openly,  apologized for her outburst  of the day before. She is withdrawn and correct, and does not display the least enthusiasm for his company, which is hardly to be wondered at.

I could not  make out what it was that drove Jalal to make this visit to Ruqaiya. Not guilt,  for he does not think  he owes his bachpan ki dost  anything special. What then?

I suspect it was to get Ruqaiya to do the same kind of timardaari  for Jodha that she had asked  Jodha to do for her earlier during her fake pregnancy. If that is so,  it is the kind of stupidity  that has become Jalal’s trademark of late. He knows perfectly well that Ruqaiya detests Jodha, and if he had even a bare minimum of imagination, he should be able to understand how miserable Ruqaiya would be feeling now about losing out on the Maryam-uz-Zamani stakes to Jodha. Forcing  her to hang around Jodha under these circumstances and to take care of her is folly of the highest degree, and an open invitation to trouble.

Neither  does Ruqaiya, unlike Jodha,  have any medicinal or other expertise that would be helpful for an expectant mother,  nor  is she old enough to have any relevant experience in child bearing.  Nor is she a dear friend of Jodha’s whose  presence would be soothing and supportive.,What then would she do around  Jodha?  If Jalal had asked Salima Begum to do be with Jodha, it would have made perfect sense. But Ruqaiya?

Besides, what he tells her, that she  should not lose any of her khoobiyan,  and  he would not under any circumstances want her to be distanced from him,  sounds less like  a reaffirmation of  an lifelong friendship than   like a  threat or warning to Ruqaiya to behave herself.

The closing sentence, that  Jodha’s child would call her too Ammijaan,  is typical of a man’s idea of a consolation prize. Does he really think  this would comfort Ruqaiya at this point of time?

Her reply is no more that what it should be, and it is clear that she is at the end of her emotional tether.  No wonder that she wants to pack him off to Jodha  before her self-control slips.

Lavina was wonderfully controlled and convincing in this scene. The hastily suppressed anguish, the  tamping down of the welling grief and frustration as she thinks of Jodha being elevated to the rank that she had longed for all her life,  the struggle to maintain her hold on herself and not let any of this show: it was all there, as clear  as crystal. Beautiful.

In contrast,   Rajat’s Jalal was no more than just ok. I think he is already bored to death with the scenes he is being saddled with, and has  begun sleepwalking thru them. Sad for us, very sad.

Ruqaiya: Her solo scene gave me goose pimples. The haunted visage, ravaged by the stains of tears  let fall freely once she was alone, the eyes, hollow and ringed by dark circles,  the skin drawn tight over the cheekbones, enhancing the pallid misery reflected in her face.

She knows that she has lost everything she held dear – her sole prized possession and the only person  she had ever cared for, Jalal , and then the  audha  of the Maryam-uz-Zamani that she craved with such a frantic passion.  Now her rival would queen it over not just Jalal’s dil aur dimaag,  but also, as the mother of the heir to the throne,  over the palace and the whole imperial family as well. 

It is unbearable, this misery, and yet she has to bear it, if only out of sheer pride. She is Ruqaiya Sultan Begum, of the pure nasl-e-Timuri,  and she cannot betray her feelings and let the world gawk and sneer at her losses. As she tells her sole confidant, Hoshiyaar, Begum-e-Khaas hone se khaas dard sehne padte  hain. Humein jaana he padega… Humein aise sajao ki saari begumath mein hum sabse khubsoorat lagein.

So Ruqaiya  gathers  up the remnants of her pride, stiffens her spine, and gets set to attend the jashn  for Jodha. And she and Hoshiyaar have both done it.

For Ruqaiya is  more regal, more stately, and more beautiful than any other woman present there, Jodha included (though she looked much better in the Mughal costume this time than on the earlier occasion).  There is no hint  of grief or anger or frustration in the smooth, marbled face as she  enters, with her  trademark glide, gracefully returning greetings from all around.

Even when she is denied the relative anonymity of the veiled section  and almost forced by Jodha to sit   on  the podium with her and Jalal, Ruqaiya’s pride does not fail her. She might wince inside, and fleetingly on the surface,  at Jalal’s handholding and the sweet nothings he exchanges with Jodha, at his pressing only Jodha to make her wish, at the  gifts for Jodha,  at the announcement that from now on, Tansen would sing for Jodha alone. But none of that is offered for the public to note and gloat on.  For the world, Ruqaiya Sultan Begum is at peace, happy  in Jalal’s happiness.

This is what is called grace under pressure.

Jodha: She is proper and graceful and  genuinely good hearted all thru, so there is nothing much to be said about her.  In her scenes with Nigar, and with Hamida Banu,  she is exactly like the good bahu is all the saas bahu  serials.

In the confrontation with an angry (just for 1 minute  and 12 seconds!) Jalal, I was completely on Jodha’s side, bhashan or no bhashan. Here was this chap, moaning and groaning about having to go to war against his sister, and having to be kick started by  Ruqaiya and to a lesser extent by Jodha. Once at the battlefield, he kept Jodha’s spirits up by moaning still more about  his near certitude that he would lose the war and become a   shaheed. Even 450+ years later, his rooh confesses that if he had known the truth, he would not have gone to battle at all.

It is this Jalal  who is now asking Jodha  if she thought he was too kamzor  to fight if he had known that she was expecting! In her place, I would have responded with a resounding Yes!!  

And he has the audacity to upbraid her for having fought with the baby on the way! What does  he think would have happened if Jodha had not rallied the begums and held Abul Mali and his men at bay, seeing that he , Jalal, was busy doing a  Veeru from Sholay thanks to his unbelievable folly? In her place, I would have been far  more blunt, but then again, she loves him and she does not want him to lose face  in front of her.

Nigar: Nothing about her, except that I am relieved that she is not about to indulge in any more saazish. She looks quite tolerable in court attire. Luckily,  we will be spared any rakhi scenes between the bhai and the new found badi behen! hpee 

Khaibar: The earlier scenes with him and Mahachuchak were grotesque, but now he is fast becoming almost comic. Incidentally, Ketan Karande, who plays Khaibar,   used to play the commando in a crack police team in a  rather good crime serial called Arjun that I used to watch.  He was then called Chhotu!  hpee 

He is big, but not huge, and so they are resorting to low angle shots to magnify his size. I  was rather surprised to read that it is Jalal who will rescue Jodha from him. I would have supposed that  Jodha  would have  awakened  the khoonkhar darinde ki insaniyat,  which trait  Khaibar’s trainer was referring to with considerable trepidation  (just as Jalal assured Jodha , and us, that she had, singlehandedly, done for him ),   and rescue herself.  To another round of hosannas from all concerned. But it seems that is not to be!

Waiting for Godot: This is a riff on the Samuel  Beckett play of the same name – where of course Godot never arrives at all -  as a symbol of our fruitless wait for Jodha Akbar to improve, and rise from its present Stygian depths.  But Sandhya assures me that come October, there will be a giant leap forward to the Salim-Anarkali phase. That is reason enough for some mild rejoicing.  

If there is going to be a shift to Salim- Anarkali, does that mean that Rajat will do a remix of the Sethji to attempt  a Prithviraj-style Akbar? I can only shudder at the thought.  It might be too much to hope that he gets to play Salim as well!

Poor boy, I  hope he gets a decent break somewhere else soon. It was pathetic, to see him buffeted about  by that Khaibar  on Friday. The Adventures of Hatim, when I watched  about 20 episodes, was way better.

Update for tonight’s Episode 294: Which I watched at once, instead of on next Saturday,  only to round off this post. I was pleased to see that  my prediction about the  awakening of Khaibar’s insaniyat vis a vis Jodha Begum has proved to be correct. They have, however, not let Khaibar voice  his feelings and have limited him to  guttural roars as  he tries in vain to explain something to Jodha after rescuing her from Mahachuchak’s grotesque soldiery.  This was probably because Ketan Karande has  a very thick and strong  local accent,  that cannot possibly be passed  off as Afghan or Mughal or whatever!  hpee 

Apart from the bow to the Ramayana in Jodha discarding her ornaments one by one a la Sita, there was nothing much else  in this episode. Paridhi’s Jodha  must have had a rough and dirty time of it, being kidnapped and treated like  a sack of potatoes, and then having to scramble up a rock wall and  crawl out thru   a small opening.  She does quite well all in all, especially  in not panicking and keeping her head in the crisis.

Finally, the fact is that but for  something about  Jodha that  makes Khaibar develop a soft corner for her, neither could she have escaped, nor could Jalal have rescued her. So, in that sense, she did rescue herself after all!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

Last edited by sashashyam on 2014-08-02, 13:18; edited 2 times in total

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 289-293: Week 58: Waiting for Godot 1/ JA 296 P 2

Post by harrybird on 2014-07-29, 02:12

harrybird
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by sharmibalan on 2014-07-29, 02:34

From the beginning of the show for some unknown reason I was always pulled towards Rukaiya. Shyamala Aunty I immensely loved your take on Rukaiya Begum. My favourite line was "This is what is called grace under pressure". Will stay in my mind always.

Thank you.

sharmibalan
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by mandygi on 2014-07-29, 03:47

shyamala, hilarious take! loved the first paragraph and i can clearly see the boredom in rajat's eyes i have a feeling he has one foot at the door and is looking for the tr opportunity to just slip out! and then we all will hear the breaking news and i will be more than happy and will not have to look back at this piece of junk! for me only lavina's soslo scene was impressive and that is all i saw in the last two weeks, the rest was rubbish..i do not want to spol my mood especially after watching yudh!

mandygi
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-07-29, 10:24

Aunty, again I will be the odd one out here but I have to say sumthing.  I know aunty we all r so pissed off with jalal tht evryone else seems right to us. But thts not the case. Jodha had the time nd oppurtunity to move to a safe place when todermal offered them. She nd salima should have moved out not bcoz of themselves but for their babies. Nd im Srry aunty in those days protection of heir was more important. Yes when the attack happened they have to fight nd tht was not wrong but not thinking about ggoing to a safe place was definitely wrong. 2ndly aunty how jodha was so sure tht abul mali will actually give them time to prepare for the war?  Not telling jalal about the baby was justified but not having any back up plan was not justified.  As per jalal ruku goes jalal just wants jodha ruku to be together. Nd no its not tit for tat its just a try to make her realize tht child belongs to her well. He genuinely doesn't want to loose her nd thus trying to iinvolve her . Ruku herself was shouting on jalal bcoz  jalal haven't informed her. Dekhbhal doesn't always means to take care physically just like jodha used to do it also means keep an eye on others who r doing it. When two people start spending time with each other they often come close nd jalal was just trying to do tht in his own way. Im srry aunty if we r considering jalal's previous things why dont we do the same for others? Polygamy is for evryone nd honestly how many kings in those times had even tried to go nd talk. If screaming nd shouting is the only way then evryone should have done tht. When ruku herself didnt bothered about jalal when he was with him why only jalal is blamed for evrything.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-07-29, 10:54

Nd aunty there is a hell nd heaven difference b/w jayawantabai nd ruku. The actul history is when dheerbai came udai ignored jawanta nd sajjabai big time.  But they never played games to gain his attention. Yes u can say tht jayawanta had a son thts why she never thought of it but no even if pratap wasn't there she would not have done so. Moreover udai singh's behavior towards sajjabai was never gud. She used to wait for him for days yet he ignored her big time.  Nd who can forget udai singh wanted jagmal to be the king nd not pratap. So if u want jalal to be udai singh then ruku also should be a jaiwantabai. Nd no jalal never showed disrespect if thts the case he always had better oppurtunities for tht. But I know im always the odd one out here but the truth is ruku lost many things by herself only. Why always jalal is expected to do things in ruqlal relationship? Why rruku should nt learn anything?

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by shobita on 2014-07-29, 12:00

Sounds cliched, but you have made a marvellous post out of utterly nonsensical two weeks of JA!

Loved the use of humour -  I had thought, in my folly, that  it was only a little skirmish by Abul Mali’s Death Eaters against Jalal’s harem, but now I know better. It was clearly on par with  the First and Second Battles of Panipat for sheer magnitude and the seminal significance of the outcome.  -  loved it!

I did not watch the Mirchi Wars as I was travelling (Thank God for that). And last week was the same. The only scenes I watched were the Amla one, Ruqaiyya-Jalal conversation and Ruqaiyya's solo scene. I loved your take on Ruqaiyya's solo scene. Immensely moving in its description, I was teary eyed when I watched Lavina and teary eyed when I read your take on it.
A pity I did not watch her arrival at the jashn. Lavina was very good in both her scenes. And it is because of Lavina that I like Ruqaiyya's character. 

I watched yesterday's episode. 
When u say - Finally, the fact is that but for  something about  Jodha that  makes Khaibar develop a soft corner for her, neither could she have escaped, nor could Jalal have rescued her. So, in that sense, she did rescue herself after all! - I couldn't agree more  hpee 

So now we have Jalal's new nadir (maybe we should stop using this word for him - coz it gives me hope that things will only look good now, alas, it isn't so!).  And I don't want to watch a Salim-Anarkali track either! Not with the CVs currently around who just know to make saas-bahu sagas!

shobita
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by mishti on 2014-07-29, 12:38

long hug Thank you Aunty for your take. Do see my response to you in Divya's thread on IF.  hpee

mishti

Back to top Go down

Post by abhi786 on 2014-07-29, 13:54

Shyamala, I just liked Ruqu solo scene, which is superb...Lavina just nailed it..Especially the dialogue " Khaas Begum hone se khaas dard sehne padte hain ". It just sad to see that she lost everything to her rival jodha.... Jalaal dil aur dimaag pur hukumath, Khaas Begum, family and now MUZ.. She is left alone and now have to show the world that Ruqu didn't have any effect still she is the same.. I must say she really looked beautiful..

Ruqu-jalaal scene showed how much their equation changed, especially Jalaal was formal to Ruqu and I still didn't understand why he asked her to teemandari JO when he knows very well Ruqu Jo equation and ruqu very well.. I feel he warned Ruqu not to do any harm to JO, especially now when he is going to become father.

I really feel bad seeing Ruqu becoming an ousider when all 3 sad on the throne. Neither jallu offered her a seat nor asked her a wish, nor even looked at her. Jallu is happy in his own world with JO while Ruqu all alone seeing Jallu love towards JO, feeling jelousy and pain as an outsider... In the throne  I saw JJ a couple where Ruqu an outsider. It just didn't looked Ruqu is his first wife.

JJ scenes are good with little arguments why Jo kept it secret, and know that Jallu can't angry on JO for a while also loved the awla scene..The jashan very both JJ are in their own world happy  with Jalaal showering Jo surprises and those hand holding and enjoying the moments together..

I liked the chunni falling scene on Kyber and he getting distraught and goes towards JO leaving Jalaal and he actually takes away... Moti just left JO alone when Kyber came to take her.. Bang .. Is she really a friend or even a servant ? At least Hoshiyaar and Resham tried to fight with him .. It was good to see JO used her mind and throw jewelery while Jallu picked up..

Kyber already softened, he applied sand on Jo hand and saved her from MAC soliders.

I don't know if leap is there with Salim-Anarkali... If leap happens I would be happy that I will atleast quit the show, have no interest in watching old JJ nor salim story . I am watching for Rajat & paridhi and now I am liking Lavina acting also... I am sticking because of them tolerating this junk tracks...

abhi786

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-07-29, 17:31

Aunty,... long hug  long hug ..i can't express how happy i'm.. i thought u stopped doing episodic analysis of JA,atleast during yudh period..but u r back..Thanks to sandhya and mishti.. hpee ..loved ur analysis..ur explanation on RUKlal scene and Rukku solo scene was just awesome..Lavina just nailed both scenes,especially solo scene..
about RUKlal scene,i believe /or like to believe dat he came there becoz he still care for her.i know alot changed between dem in recent days,but somewhere care and affection is there..i dodn't think he came there only to say take care of jodha begam..hamare jalal aise kar sakta hai kya?? i doubt it..he is hurt, he is somewhere angry too..but this revenge part is not suit to his character..

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-07-29, 17:47

Aunty, Lavina is getting gud scenes nowadays apart from her usual screeching..she is using this opertunity to maximum.may b people don't love her as much as jodha and jalal ,(But my cousin brothers r fida on Ruk hpee ) but no one can deny dat she is a very good actor..i really wish Rajat too get some gud meaning ful scenes with fresh dialogues..why dey reduced him into a husband material whose only job is think about his jodha begum,hand locks,eye locks,praising his hunars.. Bang ..we never get a solo scene of him..always they try to include jodha angle in his every scene..kaha gaye woh din when he was remembering his khaan baba,his dilema to fight against him or not..the pain when he lost his child..why dey r doing did to Rajat??

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by harrybird on 2014-07-29, 20:42

sashashyam wrote:Folks,

This one, my first in over a month, is due to my little Mishti, who wanted my take on the Ruqaiya-Jalal and Ruqaiya solo scenes of Thursday last, and to young Sandhya, who called me to order sternly and reminded me that I had promised to stay with Jodha Akbar till the end “You did. You did. You did!” Thanks Sandhya & Mishti...Keep up your good work(emotional blackmailing) Wink  Wink  Wink   If  she had been there with me, I am sure she would have drummed her heels and had a first class tantrum!  
 I did that on behalf of Sandhya....

I am now convinced that I need to have my head  examined for having rashly made such a Bhishma pratigya, but having  done so in the distant past,  when Jodha Akbar was still fresh and appealing, I am  apparently stuck with it now, when JA competes with itself every week to  plumb new depths. The JA CVs would be  recruits of choice for any offshore oil exploration firm!

I am still keeping up my record  of not having missed a single episode of the show, but for the past 2 weeks, I have been doing marathon viewings of all 5 episodes every Saturday, like swallowing a bitter kaada in a one huge mouthful rather than in 5 equally bitter sips. You haven't missed a single episode !  ..... wow ! Aunty please do keep up your track record & shower us with your brilliant posts !

The harem ‘jung’: I have nothing to say about  Week 57, with the jung  that wasn’t, nor about our limping Jalal’s public  obeisance to his Jodha Begum for having converted a haari jung  into a fateh. I had thought, in my folly, that  it was only a little skirmish by Abul Mali’s Death Eaters against Jalal’s harem, but now I know better. It was clearly on par with  the First and Second Battles of Panipat for sheer magnitude and the seminal significance of the outcome.  

Okay, now for Week 58. I am going to take it character wise, starting, of course, with Jalal. The poor chap has to be first somewhere!

So my dears, here  it is, and I hope  you will like this one.

Jalal: Rajat is being underutilized, and misused,  on a massive scale these days, and but for the very valid concern about what Ekta would do to him if he quit, I can think of nothing else that is holding him    back in Jodha Akbar.  My heart goes out to the boy.
My poor Jallu....

Jalal had stopped limping by Monday, Aunty, I wanted to make a post on nondi Jallu...but he miraculously recovered only to..... ...why blood? same blood !  but by Friday, with his being tossed about like a tennis ball by the man mountain Khaibar, one had  no idea what other Jalal ke badan ka purza  was going to  go wonky .

I shall not even comment on the kind of Mughal security arrangements where there  is no alarm given even after  all the soldiers on the outer perimeter have their throats cut,  and the attackers  calmly proceed to scale the palace walls. Not just that, Atgha  is warned only when Khaibar is practically in the antechamber to the venue of the jashn.  It was beyond belief. No Logic...Only Comic !

Just before that, Jalal’s attitude towards “Raja Bharmalji” was, to say the least, fawning, as he sought his approval of the jashn  arrangements. Then followed lavish encomiums to his Jodha Begum,  with Jalal attributing to her, and her influence on him,  the whole of Akbar’s inborn sarva dharma sambhava  approach to governance.

This in turn  inspired Raja Bharmalji to launch into  a matching peroration about the manifold virtues of his eldest daughter. He barely stopped short of patting  himself on the back for having contributed to producing this paragon. 
 hppy 

Jalal-Jodha: To go a bit into reverse gear,  the Jalal-Jodha jhagda   about the non-announcement of the happy event ended  not with a bang but with a whimper. I felt a bit let down, since Jalal did not, as I had fully expected he would, seek Jodha Begum’s maafi for his temerity in actually  being brusque  and demanding with her, and even reminding her that he had equal rights to the child (in the 16th century, equal rights to the child for the mother and the father???) . I had in fact expected him, by scene end, to dig out the trusty chabuk and ask her to punish him for his gunaah.

Their subsequent, diabetes-inducing scenes were, to put it kindly, boring. Especially the one with the pickled amla. This must have been at  least partly due  to the arm’s length rule, and the consequent chaste forehead kissing, which always make me wonder  if her maang tika   did not poke him!   

I cannot imagine any husband and wife who do not even cuddle up close to each other under such circumstances, but let that pass. What I fail to understand is  why Jalal has  to stare like a demented person when informed that Jodha is to have twins.  I thought his eyes were going to pop out.

Again, at the jashn, I could not understand why there were 3 ceremonial seats if it was to be only for the Shahenshah and Jodha Begum. But seeing that there were 3 seats,  it was  for Jalal to have invited Ruqaiya, as his Begum-e-Khaas,  to sit there with him and Jodha, not for Jodha to do so. It looked ungracious on his part.

It was the same with the wish. If he was going to ask Jodha to choose her wish then and there,  he should have asked Ruqaiya too. I can see why making the inclusive  gesture was, in both these cases, left to Jodha; so that she could appear to be that much more gracious and proper. But both instances reflected badly on Jalal.

He  should take a lesson from Maharana Udai Singh of Mewar in Maharana Pratap, who treats his  patrani, Jaiwantibai, with profound respect, and always gives her the dues of her rank in any public function, despite his total infatuation with his younger and favourite queen Dheerbaiji.

Jalal-Ruqaiya: Their scene together was strange, to say the least. Jalal comes in saying that he had not seen her all day and wanted to make sure that she was all right. But his own later words contradict this reassuring statement; he notes that he had come to see her about the jashn  arrangements. Why say one thing only to negate it yourself a minute later?

He then tries awkwardly to recreate some of their old camaraderie, but then that is as dead as the dodo and cannot be resurrected.  Ruqaiya, who seems to have neither expected nor wanted this drop-by  of Jalal’s,  does not even try, after she has, frankly and  openly,  apologized for her outburst  of the day before. She is withdrawn and correct, and does not display the least enthusiasm for his company, which is hardly to be wondered at.

I could not  make out what it was that drove Jalal to make this visit to Ruqaiya. Not guilt,  for he does not think  he owes his bachpan ki dost  anything special. What then?

I suspect it was to get Ruqaiya to do the same kind of timardaari  for Jodha that she had asked  Jodha to do for her earlier during her fake pregnancy. If that is so,  it is the kind of stupidity  that has become Jalal’s trademark of late. He knows perfectly well that Ruqaiya detests Jodha, and if he had even a bare minimum of imagination, he should be able to understand how miserable Ruqaiya would be feeling now about losing out on the Maryam-uz-Zamani stakes to Jodha. Forcing  her to hang around Jodha under these circumstances and to take care of her is folly of the highest degree, and an open invitation to trouble.

Neither  does Ruqaiya, unlike Jodha,  have any medicinal or other expertise that would be helpful for an expectant mother,  nor  is she old enough to have any relevant experience in child bearing.  Nor is she a dear friend of Jodha’s whose  presence would be soothing and supportive.,What then would she do around  Jodha?  If Jalal had asked Salima Begum to do be with Jodha, it would have made perfect sense. But Ruqaiya?

Besides, what he tells her, that she  should not lose any of her khoobiyan,  and  he would not under any circumstances want her to be distanced from him,  sounds less like  a reaffirmation of  an lifelong friendship than   like a  threat or warning to Ruqaiya to behave herself.

The closing sentence, that  Jodha’s child would call her too Ammijaan,  is typical of a man’s idea of a consolation prize. Does he really think  this would comfort Ruqaiya at this point of time?

Her reply is no more that what it should be, and it is clear that she is at the end of her emotional tether.  No wonder that she wants to pack him off to Jodha  before her self-control slips.

Lavina was wonderfully controlled and convincing in this scene. The hastily suppressed anguish, the  tamping down of the welling grief and frustration as she thinks of Jodha being elevated to the rank that she had longed for all her life,  the struggle to maintain her hold on herself and not let any of this show: it was all there, as clear  as crystal. Beautiful.

In contrast,   Rajat’s Jalal was no more than just ok. I think he is already bored to death with the scenes he is being saddled with, and has  begun sleepwalking thru them. Sad for us, very sad.

Yes Aunty, Rajat expressions were banal except for those priceless 5 secs when Ruqaiya breaks the news of Jo pregnancy !

Ruqaiya: Her solo scene gave me goose pimples. The haunted visage, ravaged by the stains of tears  let fall freely once she was alone, the eyes, hollow and ringed by dark circles,  the skin drawn tight over the cheekbones, enhancing the pallid misery reflected in her face.

She knows that she has lost everything she held dear – her sole prized possession and the only person  she had ever cared for, Jalal , and then the  audha  of the Maryam-uz-Zamani that she craved with such a frantic passion.  Now her rival would queen it over not just Jalal’s dil aur dimaag,  but also, as the mother of the heir to the throne,  over the palace and the whole imperial family as well. 

It is unbearable, this misery, and yet she has to bear it, if only out of sheer pride. She is Ruqaiya Sultan Begum, of the pure nasl-e-Timuri,  and she cannot betray her feelings and let the world gawk and sneer at her losses. As she tells her sole confidant, Hoshiyaar, Begum-e-Khaas hone se khaas dard sehne padte  hain. Humein jaana he padega… Humein aise sajao ki saari begumath mein hum sabse khubsoorat lagein.

So Ruqaiya  gathers  up the remnants of her pride, stiffens her spine, and gets set to attend the jashn  for Jodha. And she and Hoshiyaar have both done it.

For Ruqaiya is  more regal, more stately, and more beautiful than any other woman present there, Jodha included (though she looked much better in the Mughal costume this time than on the earlier occasion).  There is no hint  of grief or anger or frustration in the smooth, marbled face as she  enters, with her  trademark glide, gracefully returning greetings from all around.

Even when she is denied the relative anonymity of the veiled section  and almost forced by Jodha to sit   on  the podium with her and Jalal, Ruqaiya’s pride does not fail her. She might wince inside, and fleetingly on the surface,  at Jalal’s handholding and the sweet nothings he exchanges with Jodha, at his pressing only Jodha to make her wish, at the  gifts for Jodha,  at the announcement that from now on, Tansen would sing for Jodha alone. But none of that is offered for the public to note and gloat on.  For the world, Ruqaiya Sultan Begum is at peace, happy  in Jalal’s happiness.

This is what is called grace under pressure.

Jodha: She is proper and graceful and  genuinely good hearted all thru, so there is nothing much to be said about her.  In her scenes with Nigar, and with Hamida Banu,  she is exactly like the good bahu is all the saas bahu  serials.

In the confrontation with an angry (just for 1 minute  and 12 seconds!) Jalal, I was completely on Jodha’s side, bhashan or no bhashan. Here was this chap, moaning and groaning about having to go to war against his sister, and having to be kick started by  Ruqaiya and to a lesser extent by Jodha. Once at the battlefield, he kept Jodha’s spirits up by moaning still more about  his near certitude that he would lose the war and become a   shaheed. Even 450+ years later, his rooh confesses that if he had known the truth, he would not have gone to battle at all.

It is this Jalal  who is now asking Jodha  if she thought he was too kamzor  to fight if he had known that she was expecting! In her place, I would have responded with a resounding Yes!!  

And he has the audacity to upbraid her for having fought with the baby on the way! What does  he think would have happened if Jodha had not rallied the begums and held Abul Mali and his men at bay, seeing that he , Jalal, was busy doing a  Veeru from Sholay thanks to his unbelievable folly? In her place, I would have been far  more blunt, but then again, she loves him and she does not want him to lose face  in front of her.

Nigar: Nothing about her, except that I am relieved that she is not about to indulge in any more saazish. She looks quite tolerable in court attire. Luckily,  we will be spared any rakhi scenes between the bhai and the new found badi behen! 

Khaibar: The earlier scenes with him and Mahachuchak were grotesque, but now he is fast becoming almost comic. Incidentally, Ketan Karande, who plays Khaibar,   used to play the commando in a crack police team in a  rather good crime serial called Arjun that I used to watch.  He was then called Chhotu!  

He is big, but not huge, and so they are resorting to low angle shots to magnify his size. I  was rather surprised to read that it is Jalal who will rescue Jodha from him. I would have supposed that  Jodha  would have  awakened  the khoonkhar darinde ki insaniyat,  which trait  Khaibar’s trainer was referring to with considerable trepidation  (just as Jalal assured Jodha , and us, that she had, singlehandedly, done for him ),   and rescue herself.  To another round of hosannas from all concerned. But it seems that is not to be!

Waiting for Godot: This is a riff on the Samuel  Beckett play of the same name – where of course Godot never arrives at all -  as a symbol of our fruitless wait for Jodha Akbar to improve, and rise from its present Stygian depths.  But Sandhya assures me that come October, there will be a giant leap forward to the Salim-Anarkali phase. That is reason enough for some mild rejoicing.  

If there is going to be a shift to Salim- Anarkali, does that mean that Rajat will do a remix of the Sethji to attempt  a Prithviraj-style Akbar? I can only shudder at the thought.  It might be too much to hope that he gets to play Salim as well!

Poor boy, I  hope he gets a decent break somewhere else soon. It was pathetic, to see him buffeted about  by that Khaibar  on Friday. The Adventures of Hatim, when I watched  about 20 episodes, was way better.

Update for tonight’s Episode 294: Which I watched at once, instead of on next Saturday,  only to round off this post. I was pleased to see that  my prediction about the  awakening of Khaibar’s insaniyat vis a vis Jodha Begum has proved to be correct. They have, however, not let Khaibar voice  his feelings and have limited him to  guttural roars as  he tries in vain to explain something to Jodha after rescuing her from Mahachuchak’s grotesque soldiery.  This was probably because Ketan Karande has  a very thick and strong  local accent,  that cannot possibly be passed  off as Afghan or Mughal or whatever!  

Apart from the bow to the Ramayana in Jodha discarding her ornaments one by one a la Sita, there was nothing much else  in this episode. Paridhi’s Jodha  must have had a rough and dirty time of it, being kidnapped and treated like  a sack of potatoes, and then having to scramble up a rock wall and  crawl out thru   a small opening.  She does quite well all in all, especially  in not panicking and keeping her head in the crisis.

Finally, the fact is that but for  something about  Jodha that  makes Khaibar develop a soft corner for her, neither could she have escaped, nor could Jalal have rescued her. So, in that sense, she did rescue herself after all!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

Aunty, Thank you so much for this brilliant post !

harrybird
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by varshaakulkarni on 2014-07-30, 14:48

Aahhh so here you are aunty .....  .... loved the analysis ... but sorry I havent watched the show lately or you can say stopped watching it long time .... I am watching yudh .... still lagging behind with 4 episodes ..... would better catch up with that than watching this crap  !!! even commenting for JA show seems tedious & waste of time .....

btw aunty ....apart from yudh that you watch,  if you dont mind I would like to suggest you another interesting show called as "Muhtesem Yuzyil "  its a turkish show .... based on sultan suleiman of the ottoman empire & his slave turned queen hurrem sultan .... the dubbing of this show in hindi is called as "Mera Sultan" which airs on one of a pakistan channel , but you can watch it online on desitvforum & desitv box 

Trust me aunty you will fall in love with this show , no much drama , no mahaanta's or sacrifices involved .. you shall see the grey & black shades of this mighty queen hurrem sultan , who has done hell of plots to keep suleiman in her control, but he being more intelligent than her never came under her rather he controlled her in his own way, knowing her character & the love he had for her   !!!  if you get some time definitely watch first 15 episodes !!!

varshaakulkarni
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanthya on 2014-07-30, 14:58

I have stopped watching this balderdash  but would love to read u on this ..

The segment on Khyber was side splitting.. I wonder why Ekta is intent on turning a historical show into children's fantasy series with Khyber n MC's palace

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by adianasr on 2014-07-30, 21:06

Ahh.... Shyamala, finally I watched today's epi from 'Atifa in bath tub' - as the epi aired - and I must say this - I am highly entertained - and I am lovin' this track now - time for Jodha Begum to have a reality chk - and for Jalal to have some fun - and me have fun watchin' Jalal have fun!!!!!!!!

adianasr
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-07-30, 22:42

@aunty, after a long time i loved an episode, not bcoz of the track but just bcoz of fun. & today i feel rajat is back on track as per his acting goes especially his expressions in the precap was awsum.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-07-31, 00:52

watched something different today..i enjoyed it too..i had alot of fun..i'm not going to spoil my fun by thinking s he a gud lover, or not,hubby or not..after ages,something inteesting came into the way..Atifa is not going to last for long..but bored with repatative hojra scenes..wanted a change.. hpee ..his expression in last scene was awesome..especially when he was walking to the people,he tried very hard to not luk at her,but ended up staring her..i don't knw jalal is wright or wrong..but i loved rajat in dat scene..it's lk like ruku ne chori pakdi.. hppy ..anyway i'm not bothered about dat..

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-07-31, 09:34

There is so much crying going on in I-F. When we were crying about jalal's portrayal we were given lots of gyan but now when its effecting jodha people r suddenly saying tht rajat is not happy with the track. Wow. Im loving it.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-07-31, 10:02

munnirony wrote:There is so much crying going on in I-F. When we were crying about jalal's portrayal we were given lots of gyan but now when its effecting jodha people r suddenly saying tht rajat is not happy with the track. Wow. Im loving it.
shreya,i gave up my hopes on Teda jalal,stromh warrior,strong shehehsha etc..ab show meinkuch bhi ho,i'm not bothered..so i'm enjoying dis track.. hpee ..

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-07-31, 10:22

If u had seen yesterday rajat was again back on track as per his acting goes. Since the war track his performance was not up to the mark but yesterday he was awsum so I have a feeling tht there is sumthing gud about this track. At least acting wise I think we r going to enjoy it.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Greeshma014 on 2014-07-31, 11:23

munnirony wrote:If u had seen yesterday rajat was again back on track as per his acting goes. Since the war track his performance was not up to the mark but yesterday he was awsum so I have a feeling tht there is sumthing gud about this track. At least acting wise I think we r going to enjoy it.
i watched it..his expressions were superb..he got more screen space,and he utilised it to maximum..i knw track is not good,but atleast he got to do something different after a long time..

Greeshma014
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-07-31, 18:21

A brief take on Jodha Akbar 296  of Wednesday night

Folks,

I have actually watched the episode last night, and I am greatly amused by all this talk of IF-wide lamentations over Jalal becoming  a Casanova all over again.

I never thought  to see so many (present company excluded, obviously) afflicted with the  Pavlovian reflex ! The CVs lead them  by the nose, and  they  trot along happily, or rather not happily, crying buckets like Jalal even a few days back. hpee 

To my mind,  Jalal is no more  infatuated with that Atifa, who looks like an overripe Preity Zinta hpee , than I am. It is something quite different, and as Raksha puts it, he is intrigued by the fact that he  cannot get her out of his mind, and she seeps, subconsciously, even into his painting.

Incidentally, Jalal was using  a lot of blue, but there was no blue at all in that daub of a painting. 

It is a teaser that haunts him. It might well be that she is someone he knows from long back but cannot  quite recognise now. Or it might be some other bizarre idea of the CVs. But he is not besotted with her nor is he going to have a fling with her, at least that is my take as of now. He does not look the least bit guilty when Jodha spotted the picture.

In fact, he looked inscrutable, and thus interesting, which has been a rarity of late.

The best shot of Jodha was the funny little headshake cum pout  she gives after surveying the painting. 

As for the precap, it might well be a daydream of Ruqaiya's. The CVs have done this sort of thing often enough!

This said, I do not know how shocked people  in the IF  would be if Jalal went to one of his other begums for a ratrivyateet one of these days. Jodha does not have a monopoly over him, and the other begums too have  a right to be with him,  you know! Plus, I do not see an emperor becoming an ek patni vrat for  so long.

I do not care what kind of tricks the CVs play on the IF folk, but  I was pleased that Jalal last night looked more like the old rakish Jalal of the early episodes:  the feature.s were sharp and clear cut and he looked as  handsome as during the Amer escapade.  And he did  not go thru the nose scrunching bit that gets my goat!

I know you youngsters must all be in transports over his hamam body show, but I, being used to a son obsessed with his 6 pack abs, felt that he looked quite decent, if not like the best in the business, like Aamir in Ghajini. If they had not been sure of that, they would never have risked it! Earlier,  they used to show only his head and shoulders, which was, at that point of time, a favour done to the viewers.

So, all in all, I am quite happy,  and if Jodha is diddled and thrown off balance by this Preity Zinta lite, why that is good too. Why should Jalal be always making  a doormat of himself? Let her feel a bit insecure and run after him for a while. As for the idea of Jalal being jealous of Khaibar, it is too ludicrous for words!

Shyamala Aunty

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-07-31, 20:36

@aunty, dont u think we r getting our rajat back??? i mean after a long time i really enjoyed his acting.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by smile.sara on 2014-08-01, 03:20

AUNTY ... long hug 
Mandy Shreya....my post got DT note  hppy  Clap

smile.sara

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-08-01, 09:01

@sara woh to hona hi tha. But let it be. We shouldnt stop posting our views. When we feel bad about a track we r told to get out now see whts happening.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 01:54

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum