Latest topics

Jodha Akbar 309-313: An accordion finish

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jodha Akbar 309-313: An accordion finish

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-24, 17:18

Folks,

I am afraid I have no idea how this post, being written under near duress, is  going to turn out, so please bear with me, for old times’ sake, if it does not meet with  your  roseate expectations. I hope that most of you have now descended from the cloud nine to which Jalal, as the Teda Emperor once again, had transported you by Thursday night, and are now back on good old terra firma

The title comes from the very rapid, rushed way in which   the  finale was played out, rather like a musician  compressing his accordion in one swift move. It  would have been far better if it had been done in a more leisurly and more credible manner.

But then, what the heck! Ekta knows her audience, the TRP one and the IF  one, and she tailored this simplistic, at times plain nutty  resolution to please all of them at one fell sweep. And her cast rose to the occasion splendidly.

Jalal : There was Jalal at the top of his game, having recovered his missing grey cells and discovered his naatakiya hunar  all of a sudden.

He played the besotted lover of Sandhya’s papaya¸ and the sarcastic, stubborn, unfeeling shauhar of all three of his khaas begums,  with equal elan. He  was a delight to watch as he treated them all to classic putdowns that  instantly deflated any  notions they might have entertained of their influence over him.  And this without any overt harshness, except to Jodha, who  he knew would be the most difficult to  put off.  It was an interesting display of the real power equations between husband and  wife in that age, and often even now. Equations which, in this show, have been buried under a totally unrealistic 21st century treatment of a medieval tale.

Khauf-e-Jalal: And though many of Jalal’s  scenes with Atgah, Mansingh and Todar Mal were decidedly OTT in the depiction of the harsh, almost cruel Shahenshah who seemed to have suddenly taken over inside Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar, Rajat made  them all a treat to watch.  His handling of the scene where he orders that cannon be mounted  on the ramparts of the fort to intimidate the protestors -  Hukumat ki jaati hai awaam ke dil me khauf paida karke - was an excellent example of  how he brought the old khauf-e-Jalal  alive once more.  During  almost the whole of this week,  Rajat’s Jalal  got the chance to do this kind of  wonderful,  hatke  stuff after what seemed like forever, and he dug his teeth into this unexpected opportunity and  made the most of it.  So did I!

Curious lack of appreciation:  Well, good things rarely last, and by Friday end,  Jalal  was back  in his old avatar, complete with a dil  overflowing with unnecessary repentance. Apologising  to  bis Ammijaan and to all his khaas begumat  for what was clearly a political compulsion that any begum worth her salt should have understood without having to be told.  Hoping that they might shaayad  be able to forgive him. 

My foot!  In his place I would have said that being the intelligent women they were, they should need no  explanations as to why he had behaved the way he did,  and he was sure they would have understood that it was all playacting for a very serious reason.  Instead, each of them lapped up the apology and condescended to nod  their assent when he begged their pardon.  The intention clearly  was to restore all the old equations, but I cannot  imagine any 16th century alpha male emperor behaving  like this.

What was decidedly strange was that not ONE of them- not Hamida, not Ruqaiya, not Salima, and not even Jodha -   uttered even a word of  praise to Jalal  for the remarkable way in which he  had, single handedly, tackled a very  grave danger to his rule, to him, and to them as well. I would have expected all  of them to lavish compliments, which were more than deserved, on  him. But there was nothing like that forthcoming.  It was downright bizarre.  They barely seemed to grasp the enormity  of the danger that had threatened them all,   which he had successfully averted, and that too thru a thorough, roots and branch operation.

The lone ranger: It was this, Jalal playing a totally lone  hand to such splendid effect,  which was, for me as it must have been for many of you, the major plus  point in this whole track. Going by past experience, I was almost sure that Jodha would put in her tuppence at some point and, in the end,  acquire a new coat of  gilt for her 24 carat halo, with Jalal, after having done all the heavy lifting,  joining the rest in singing hosannas to her.

But no such thing happened, which is to me the greatest mystery of  all! It was very likely a consolation prize for the legions of Jalal-philes  in the throes of depression after the Veeru-cum-mirchi  war track,  and it is unlikely to last very long. But  it was wonderful while it lasted, was it not?

Jodha: There was Jodha, looking gorgeous throughout as she played a composite of all the saintly wives down the ages.  

Ever dignified even under extreme stress. Standing up for Ruqaiya against a furious Jalal, solely on grounds of principle, and later comforting the distraught Ruqaiya in a strong display of feminine solidarity and empathy. Adjuring Mansingh to stay loyal to the Shahenshah, no matter what he was up to, and adjuring Kanha to forgive her errant patidev  his trespasses, and also to credit to his ledger in Heaven all the punya  she, Jodha, had ever acquired thru her good deeds (there  must have been enough that to ensure  that Jalal’s account stayed in the black till the end of his days! hpee ).

It was another matter that for all her saintliness,    Jodha failed in one crucial test, that of faith, as Jalal points out to her at the very end on Friday, and to which she has, for once, no answer. The kind of unquestioning  faith that comes from understanding a loved, and loving  one completely. It is true that  appearances were decidedly black, but then  it is under such adverse circumstances that faith, which  has, by definition, to be blind and not to need proof, has to come into it own.

And here, Jodha stumbles, for she cannot make that leap of faith and see what Atgah is able to see, that the core Jalal cannot change so drastically. And since he cannot change thus, ergo, he is pretending, for whatever reason. But perhaps, as he himself explains to her,  given her impulsive and rash  nature, it was best for the success of Jalal’s schemes that Jodha could not see thru him.

Once her fears have been  swept away,   there are  stars in Jodha’s  eyes  as she rejoices penitently  in front of the long-suffering Kanha, boasting to Moti that Shahenshah abhinay kar rahe the! Wo sab se adhik humse hi prem karte hain!! Paridhi was  excellent in this rendering of  a Jodha awash with relief and joy,  the depth of which was in direct proportion to her  desolation of just a little while earlier.. Ab yahan se jaane par man  phata sa ja raha hai..

However, it was also characteristic of her make up that  by episode end on Friday. Jodha sulks and pouts and cries prettily,  thinking only of her sufferings and nothing of what Jalal has been  thru. Predictably, he dissolves into  a puddle of regret as he promises to lavish enough mohabbat  on her to  wipe out all the unpleasant memories.

I would have expected her, like Desdemona with Othello, to demand a longer and  more detailed account of  how he bested Mahaam Anga at long last. But at least she has the empathy to  note his grief about  Mahaam, and to seek to comfort him.

Invincible self-righteousness: I was amused to see that Jodha  makes sure that she is given a complete waiver on the Khyber  issue as well.She  is  a smart cookie,  is Jodha Begum, and no matter that she loves Jalal deeply and genuinely now,  her strong streak of self-righteousness never ever goes away.

Remember her bizarre assertion to Salima that Khyber had died to save Jalal’s life and hers,   a fantasy if even there was one?  And her  insisting that the whole Khyber fiasco had been as much Jalal’s fault – for the harsh sentence he had passed on Khyber- as hers? It was as if  the whole explanation for  the sentence that Jalal had given her after he  had rescued her had never  happened.

Even then, she starts lecturing him Shahenshah, baat ko samajne ka prayas kijiye.. Her apologies are always qualified about her mansha   being good - apparently no one has told her that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And when she is between a rock and  a hard place, as when Jalal berates her about the soldiers killed by Khyber, she simply lowers her eyes and keeps quiet.

I suppose Jodha must be familiar with the Ramayana, and how Lord Rama treated Sita after he rescued her from Lanka, though her kidnapping was not her fault, except that she crossed the Lakshmanrekha taking Ravana to be a rishi. She had to go thru an agniparisksha. Then again,  back in Ayodhya, because a dhobi made a loose comment about her character, Rama had a pregnant Sita abandoned in the forest.

It is as well that Jalal does not know the Ramayana, and  Jodha should thank her lucky stars that she has not married the likes of Lord Rama. In fact, in a 16th century royal family, a wife who behaved as Jodha does,  and spent days on end wandering around the countryside with a  strange man, would never have been taken back. The scandal would have been horrendous and not even a Shahenshah could have weathered it.

Not to speak of what would have happened to her if Khyber had not arrived in the nick of time to save both her life, and her honour,  from those bandits.  She seems now to have conveniently forgotten all about that horrendous situation into which her folly  had led her.

I am sorry to disappoint you, Sandhya my pet,  but  Jodha, being  like the  imperial  Hapsburgs of Austria, who remembered nothing and learnt  nothing, will not learn anything from either the Khyber affair or from this recent glimpse of the  old Jalal. And the   dilwala Jalal will be of no  help in this matter either,  as he exerts himself to compensate his chaheti begum  for all that she has been thru. In the  process,  a very  promising opportunity to educate Jodha  in the realities of life and about the need for her to display a modicum of commonsense while exercising her  rehamdili ,  was lost, very likely for ever.

Ruqaiya: For me, one of the 2 best scenes this last week was the tete a tete between Jodha and a Ruqaiya who, in an agony of guilt  and regret, bares her heart and soul  to her detested rival. The crushing sense of gratitude to Jodha that almost overpowers her is proof that Ruqaiya,  usually far from likeable,  is nonetheless not going to lose her positive facets. Grey she might be, most of the time, but  she will never   become black-hearted.  Lavina did exceptionally well in that scene, which must have made heavy demands on her as an actress.

Mahaam:  Hers was the second of my  2 best scenes. Not  the one on Friday, when she roars at  Jalal that she did what she did because he had  become a joru ka ghulam  and was no longer worthy   of the throne.  The one of the day before, as she rages at Sakina and then at Amanullah about Jalal having been assassinated against her express orders that he should be merely dethroned and not killed.

Midway, she turns,  and catches sight of the  corpse on the floor. As she exclaims  Jalal!.. all her old tenderness for  the nurseling she had raised from babyhood surges forth anew in the voice thickened by  grief and guilt. As she crumples on the floor and weeps unrestrainedly over the Jalal she takes to be dead,  one almost  forgot all her  endless, devious villainy, and  saw her only as a  mother grieving for the son she had  loved,  and   now lost.  

When Jalal reveals himself,   Mahaam's  first reaction is only of joy and relief, and this is reflected in her Jalal!,  and the glad light in her eyes as she sees him standing in front of her.  Later, when she has lost  the game completely, and Jalal asks her what punishment he should give her,  she does not break down or plead for mercy as she did  on the last such occasion. She looks at him with dry eyes and  asks for the death penalty. Nor do her eyes flinch when Jalal sentences her to  lifelong imprisonment in a kaalkotri.  She takes it on the chin, for she is above all a very strong woman.

A curious point: Mahaam does not contradict Jalal when he  accuses her of wanting to murder him:  Jise apna beta kehti hain, use maarne ke liye ek aurat ka sahara liya?  Why? And why does he accuse her of this when he has, in his soldier disguise,  eavesdropped on Atifa telling Amanullah  that their order were  only to dethrone Jalal,   not to kill him? And did he, in maulvi disguise,  not listen to Mahaam’s laments to the same effect over the dead body?
All in all, it  was a stellar performance by Ashwini. I am going to miss  her Mahaam Anga very badly. Mahachuchak would be a very poor substitute; the only good thing about her is that she has been offscreen for quite a while now, along with her bald sidekick!
Atgah: He was superb this week, the character more than the generally  expressionless actor. Atgah Khan  knows his Shahenshah thru and thru, and on the bedrock of this understanding stands a faith in Jalal that nothing and no one can shake.

He also seems to have suddenly been  transformed into a sarvantaryami.  He is everywhere, detecting  everything and everyone. He  finds out that Atifa’s aim is to get Jalal to announce his nikaah  with her, thus damning himself in the eyes of his awaam.  He digs out the  most vital secret, that it is  Mahaam who is the real plotter,   by eavesdropping on her meeting with Atifa.  He even manages to stumble on Chand Begum,  though one would have thought that she was safe from prying eyes in the  hidden chamber next to Mahaam’s hoojra.  Maybe, after listening to her reading the riot act to Atifa,  Atgah decides to search Mahaam’s rooms thoroughly.

To sum up, the real mover and shaker this week, without whom Jalal would not have been able to bring things to such a neat conclusion, was Atgah Khan. Probably this is the very thing that is going to prove deadly for thim next week, as a raging Adham Khan swears bloody revenge on him for having  exposed and destroyed his Ammijaan.

Now let us get back to the accordion finale.

Siyasati kaabiliyat:I have to confess  that while watching it,  I never left  terra firma,  TE or no TE.  I was not cast into transports of long awaited delight as Jalal  treated us to an extended  exposition  of his  siyasati samaj, somewhat like Hercule Poirot at the end of Murder on the Orient Express.  It was clearly done with the express intention of ensuring that neither  his onscreen audience nor his offscreen audience was left  in any doubt about    his magisterial handling of the whole complicated plot against both his takht  and his sar.  The only difference was that Poirot never sneered, not even at the murderer.  But then it was not his life that had been at stake!

All the while as Jalal was holding forth, spread over  more than 20 minutes on two  nights, I was irresistibly reminded of the same Jalal following his Nigar aapa  like Mary’s little lamb,  to what she said would be  a mehfoos jagah, with a horrendous outcome. How come that Jalal did not have even a fraction of the siyasati kaabiliyat  that  was so prominently on display  now,  and instead ended  up doing a Sholaywale Veeru for endless excruciating  scenes, and escaped with his life only thanks to Mansingh’s timely arrival?

Mughlai cheese: That  one was as ludicrous as this one  was  overpowering, and at places plain incredible.  Let us go down the end game on Thursday to see how large the holes in the screenplay were. Swiss cheese was nothing to it!

Okay, the Shahenshah enters the nikaah hall, smiles roguishly at his dulhan-to-be,   and  sneeringly demands that all those opposed to the nikaah should speak up. No one does, not even Hamida Banu. I expected  her to  protest, seeing that she was in any case safe from any punishment  for gaddari.

Adham Khan is absent, though every one has been commanded to be present, under pain of severe penalties.  How come? Surely Mahaam  would have  wanted him there as an eventual reinforcement, seeing that he is,  if nothing else, an excellent jungbaaz?  His being  revealed as a gaddar  would hardly have mattered at that point. And where was Sharifuddin, come to think of it?

Lastly, why is a solid contingent from the awaam  included,  especially when they seemed to be violently opposed to the nikaah?   I could see no reason for this, except to have them  as a kind of Greek chorus, to cheer after the wedding is  over,  and to argue among themselves  about the relative merits of even a sinner like Jalal  and whoever might come after him as the Shahenshah, which  last was both realistic and revealing!

In a totally meaningless, indeed counterproductive exercise, Mansingh is deprived of his sword, as must Todar Mal have been. Why? These two men would have been  very useful in the final melee.

The only possible explanation is that the end  game  had to be  a solo Jalal show, and he had to be shown killing all those rebels on his own, with that  shamsheer that he pulled out so dramatically from the back of his maulvi  cassock. Good thing it did not slash the outfit in the process!

Now to the nikaah proper. Rajat’s Jalal was in top  sarcastic form as  he responds to Hamida Banu’s protest against the qazi being forced to  conduct the nikaah  at shamsheer  point. It was also a neat little demonstration  of  how almost everyone will cave in if the pressure is sufficient.

Now the dulha in the sehra  seemed to be Jalal, for his posture was  perfect  and the voice that said  Qubool hai!  the mandated three times sounde exactly like Jalal’s. If it had been the unfortunate henchman of Mahaam’s who had his lips sewn together, as was revealed at the end, he could hardly have said anything, not to speak of saying it in Jalal’s voice. Plus,  even if he had no idea he was going to get his throat cut, how could Jalal or Atgah have got him to co-operate to the extent of  sitting  on the dais and then  getting down from it and walking up to the supposed Atifa, when his peforated lips must have been  putting  him thru hellish torment?

There was no way that one could see that  Jalal, if he was the dulha with the sehra on the dais,  could have been replaced  by the other chap as he was getting down. So the only possible conclusion is that the chap on the dais  was already the  man with the sewn lips, who was substituted when Jalal went to get his   sehra.  But this was not made clear at all,  even in the second half of Jalal’s  exposition on Friday, and it is incredible that the captive would not have made some attempt to reveal his identity and escape.

A minor point, but for a chap with his jugular vein sliced thru,  there is NO blood to be seen  on his sehra!  hpee 

Next, after the throat cutting, Amanullah comes in with exactly 4 henchmen, no more. He orders them to round  up everyone of the begums and the baandis, and  take them to the prison. Unless the  four could multiply themselves at will, like the villain in the Matrix   films, Amanullah was talking thru  his hat,or his pagdi, if you will hpee .

All this while, seasoned warriors like Todar Mal and Munim Khan,  and a young, courageous fighter like Mansingh, are all unable to deal with the soldiers behind each of them,  holding  swords to their throats.  Difficult to digest, this one!

Jodha,   blessedly, does not scream like a banshee at the sight of the supposedly dead Jalal. Instead,  she  decides to take a crack at not leaving Mahaam jeevit,  regardless of her having no weapons at hand for achieving this laudable objective.   But she does not  set off as soon as  Mahaam is revealed to be the key conspirator. She swings into action only when Mahaam is crying all over Jalal and loudly lamenting that she had never wanted to get him killed. Odd timing!

The Mystery of the Maulvi: Where precisely was Jalal-the-Maulvi  all this while? He suddenly surfaces, out of the blue, when Amanullah practices a hockey manouever  on Jodha Begum.  As they carefully avoided overhead shots for the most part, one had no way of seeing where he was before he  held the falling Jodha.  I am convinced that the CVs have no idea where he was either hpee , which is why Jalal, otherwise so voluble, does not even touch  on this  point in his peroration!

The maulvi then proclaims, even before he strips off his facial   props, Shaayad hum tumhari jab baksh dete, Amanullah, par tumhein Jodha Begum par haath nahin utthana chahiye tha..  A more ridiculous statement from a Shahenshah to a murderous rebel who was not of his family (and this was crucial for Jalal/Akbar) , can hardly be imagined!

And finally,  Atgah Khan manages his mopping up operations in the other parts of the palace with such perfect timing that he rolls up with his reinforcements  as soon as Jalal yells Atgah Saheb!!  It might have been prudent if  he had done so a bit earlier.  But then it had to be Jalal  and no one but  Jalal to dispose of all the assorted ruffians, so perhaps that was understandable!

Well, folks, this is it. From tomorrow, apart from Adham’s fulminations, and  possibly also the killing if Atgah Khan, we are sure to be treated  to more scenes of undying love between Jalal and Jodha (the mandatory 2 1/2 feet distance between them seems to have been reduced a bit on Friday!) , and then, soon enough,  we shall be expected to ooh and aah over the babies.

I hope they have the leap soon and leave at least me in peace.  For my zubaan, which I gave in an unwary moment to young Sandhya,  does NOT extend to any Salim-Anarkali junk, with a pot-bellied Akbar once again!  hpee 
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Jodha Akbar 309-313: An accordion finish

Post by sandhya on 2014-08-24, 17:51

Res

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-08-24, 20:15

Aunty, I feel this track was to get back rajat's interest into the show  which he had clearly lost in last couple of tracks. Just like jalal was sidelined to show jodha's valour, in this track they needed to show jalal doing evrything single handedly. but since they also have to please the TRP audience they needed to show jodha dedicated dialogues. We may have enjoyed those 2 weeks of jalal's authority , TRP audience continously protested against this track. So obviously tht old jalal has to be 4 din ki chandni. So maybe now since rajat is pleased nd we actually saw the difference in this track so again CVs will be back to their trial nd tested formula. But at least we got sum very gud scenes especially for a change few logical scenes like jalal's dialogues after Khyber's death nd tht was certainly not a part of his acting, even though jodha begum thought it to be.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by adianasr on 2014-08-24, 20:40

Well, to me it does seem that the leap may happen - good for all since there will nothing else for EK to milk in as she does not want to get into Akbar's administration and military acts - and definitely Salim - Anarkali looks to be on the cards - hope Rajat has ensured his release with the leap - dont want to see him either as an aged Akbar or as the weak Salim - maybe this track was to be Rajat's swan song in JA

adianasr
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-24, 20:46

My dear Adiana,I too hope  so, devoutly. Plus I very much want Rajat to get another really good show. Are you sure there is going to be a leap?Rajat was excellent in an item he and Paridhi did for  some Zee show that was aired this afternoon. The good thing is that they do not make him dance around, he stays very dignified and the sword play was splendid. The whole  segment for both of them lasted 7:38 minutes, which is a  lot. And Ruqaiya, Salima, Resham, Hoshiyaar, Gulbadan and  Bharmal were all there in full costume to cheer Jalal and Jodha. That is another nice thing about the Jodha Akbar team.Shyamalaadianasr wrote:Well, to me it does seem that the leap may happen - good for all since there will nothing else for EK to milk in as she does not want to get into Akbar's administration and military acts - and definitely Salim - Anarkali looks to be on the cards - hope Rajat has ensured his release with the leap - dont want to see him either as an aged Akbar or as the weak Salim - maybe this track was to be Rajat's swan song in JA

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-24, 20:50

That is very likely, my dear Munni. As I wrote here, this Jalal. shrewd, decisive and successful on his own, is not going to last. I only hope the show, at least  in this phase, does not last much longer either. And that Rajat gets something else that is really good for him, and not just for  the producers. As for the Khyber affair, Jalal should have clearly told  Jodha now how criminally foolish what she did was. She could have been carried off by those bandits and sold into a kotha. But of course he is so busy reassuring her and apologising where no apologies were needed that anything so practical is too much to hope  for.Shyamala Auntymunnirony wrote:Aunty, I feel this track was to get back rajat's interest into the show  which he had clearly lost in last couple of tracks. Just like jalal was sidelined to show jodha's valour, in this track they needed to show jalal doing evrything single handedly. but since they also have to please the TRP audience they needed to show jodha dedicated dialogues. We may have enjoyed those 2 weeks of jalal's authority , TRP audience continously protested against this track. So obviously tht old jalal has to be 4 din ki chandni. So maybe now since rajat is pleased nd we actually saw the difference in this track so again CVs will be back to their trial nd tested formula. But at least we got sum very gud scenes especially for a change few logical scenes like jalal's dialogues after Khyber's death nd tht was certainly not a part of his acting, even though jodha begum thought it to be.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by adianasr on 2014-08-24, 21:03

Shyamala, it does seem from the way the show is going that there will be a leap - next week will see the deaths of Atgha and Adham - followed by the death of Maham - and then the birth and death of Akbar's twins - all this shd be done by 12th Sept - which then means we will be taken directly to the events around the birth of Salim and September will end with the birth celebrations of Salim - and that does mean we shd get that leap in October - and I wont be sorry if that happens as long as Rajat has his exit plan in place simultaneously !!!

I also hope he has another show in his kitty - so that we are not made marhoom from his excellence on TV - but this time I do hope that the makers come with a show that has a set number of epis - it will keep Rajat happy and interested, will be tight in story terms and we as audience have a chance to thoroughly enjoy the drama quotient

adianasr
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by mandygi on 2014-08-24, 22:33

shyamala, interesting analysis with valid questions regarding the bloopers and unexplained scenes! but i let go off all of them becasue for me it was a delight to get back our rajat's jalal which had dissappeared under the shadow of ekta's historical turned SBS! i wa happy for our jalal and i was happy for our rajat!..all i want now is a strong akbar and a supporting jodha which might be possible as they are getting ready for the leap what else is needed to shown in terms of mahaanta and hunabaazi of mhaari jodha!..i hope it all ends and we get to see some history and some interesting story!

mandygi
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by mandygi on 2014-08-24, 22:35

adi, i too hope the same but will mis rajat as akbar! becasue we cannot deny the fact that he has given face to akbar!
adianasr wrote:Shyamala, it does seem from the way the show is going that there will be a leap - next week will see the deaths of Atgha and Adham - followed by the death of Maham - and then the birth and death of Akbar's twins - all this shd be done by 12th Sept - which then means we will be taken directly to the events around the birth of Salim and September will end with the birth celebrations of Salim - and that does mean we shd get that leap in October - and I wont be sorry if that happens as long as Rajat has his exit plan in place simultaneously !!!

I also hope he has another show in his kitty - so that we are not made marhoom from his excellence on TV - but this time I do hope that the makers come with a show that has a set number of epis - it will keep Rajat happy and interested, will be tight in story terms and we as audience have a chance to thoroughly enjoy the drama quotient

mandygi
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-08-24, 22:52

Aunty, I was talking about jalal's dialogues immediately after  Khyber's death. His dialogues  about the dead soldiers nd destruction tht Khyber caused were exactly the same dialogues which I was continously telling. But just like jodha her bhakts also continously ranted about mahan Khyber's mahan balidan. I just loved jalal's dialogue when he explained why exactly he jailed Khyber into the well. For me it was the jalal which I want to see . Confidently putting forward his point.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by munnirony on 2014-08-24, 23:01

Aunty,  the prog which ur talking about is an item from zee ristey awards 2013. Nd yes tht was brilliant not only the performances but also rajat was in full mood.

munnirony
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sandhya on 2014-08-24, 23:10

sashashyam wrote:Folks,

I am afraid I have no idea how this post, being written under near duress, is  going to turn out, so please bear with me, for old times’ sake, if it does not meet with  your  roseate expectations. I hope that most of you have now descended from the cloud nine to which Jalal, as the Teda Emperor once again, had transported you by Thursday night, and are now back on good old terra firma

Near Duress? .....no, no, no Evil or Very Mad . 
Thank You for the post aunty. TE deserves it. hpee

The title comes from the very rapid, rushed way in which   the  finale was played out, rather like a musician  compressing his accordion in one swift move. It  would have been far better if it had been done in a more leisurly and more credible manner.

Actually, the rush was perhaps to cover up all the gaping holes in the 'plans'. It was done so fast that we didn't have the time to think.

But then, what the heck! Ekta knows her audience, the TRP one and the IF  one, and she tailored this simplistic, at times plain nutty  resolution to please all of them at one fell sweep. And her cast rose to the occasion splendidly.

Jalal : There was Jalal at the top of his game, having recovered his missing grey cells and discovered his naatakiya hunar  all of a sudden.

He played the besotted lover of Sandhya’s papaya¸(Actually it was Sun29 who christened her papita) and the sarcastic, stubborn, unfeeling shauhar of all three of his khaas begums,  with equal elan. He  was a delight to watch as he treated them all to classic putdowns that  instantly deflated any  notions they might have entertained of their influence over him.  And this without any overt harshness, except to Jodha, who  he knew would be the most difficult to  put off.  It was an interesting display of the real power equations between husband and  wife in that age, and often even now. Equations which, in this show, have been buried under a totally unrealistic 21st century treatment of a medieval tale.

Rajat/Jalal were on a roll, after a long long time. Rajat had actually begun to appear bored these days, esp in and post the war track. This track got him firing from all cylinders. (Papaya invigorates and refreshes the body systems, he he......). Anyway, even if his family have got to know that he was acting afterall, the effect of it all must have seeped into them inadvertently. They would have atleast to themselves realised where they stand, if this one man, decides to be good no more. (ofcourse except Jodha who is ever convinced that she is never wrong)

Khauf-e-Jalal: And though many of Jalal’s  scenes with Atgah, Mansingh and Todar Mal were decidedly OTT in the depiction of the harsh, almost cruel Shahenshah who seemed to have suddenly taken over inside Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar, Rajat made  them all a treat to watch.  His handling of the scene where he orders that cannon be mounted  on the ramparts of the fort to intimidate the protestors -  Hukumat ki jaati hai awaam ke dil me khauf paida karke - was an excellent example of  how he brought the old khauf-e-Jalal  alive once more.  During  almost the whole of this week,  Rajat’s Jalal  got the chance to do this kind of  wonderful,  hatke  stuff after what seemed like forever, and he dug his teeth into this unexpected opportunity and  made the most of it.  So did I!

So did we all. hpee 

Curious lack of appreciation:  Well, good things rarely last, and by Friday end,  Jalal  was back  in his old avatar, complete with a dil  overflowing with unnecessary repentance. Apologising  to  bis Ammijaan and to all his khaas begumat  for what was clearly a political compulsion that any begum worth her salt should have understood without having to be told.  Hoping that they might shaayad  be able to forgive him. 

My foot!  In his place I would have said that being the intelligent women they were, they should need no  explanations as to why he had behaved the way he did,  and he was sure they would have understood that it was all playacting for a very serious reason.  Instead, each of them lapped up the apology and condescended to nod  their assent when he begged their pardon.  The intention clearly  was to restore all the old equations, but I cannot  imagine any 16th century alpha male emperor behaving  like this.

Aunty, I dreaded another folded hands apology or pair choona and was ultimately happy that it ended with this. No 

What was decidedly strange was that not ONE of them- not Hamida, not Ruqaiya, not Salima, and not even Jodha -   uttered even a word of  praise to Jalal  for the remarkable way in which he  had, single handedly, tackled a very  grave danger to his rule, to him, and to them as well. I would have expected all  of them to lavish compliments, which were more than deserved, on  him. But there was nothing like that forthcoming.  It was downright bizarre.  They barely seemed to grasp the enormity  of the danger that had threatened them all,   which he had successfully averted, and that too thru a thorough, roots and branch operation.

When has he ever been praised by anyone at all for anything, while Mrs. Urmi praises Jodha even when she cruelly and unthinkingly lands her husband in front of the canon.

Jodha: There was Jodha, looking gorgeous throughout as she played a composite of all the saintly wives down the ages.  

Ever dignified even under extreme stress. Standing up for Ruqaiya against a furious Jalal, solely on grounds of principle, and later comforting the distraught Ruqaiya in a strong display of feminine solidarity and empathy. Adjuring Mansingh to stay loyal to the Shahenshah, no matter what he was up to, and adjuring Kanha to forgive her errant patidev  his trespasses, and also to credit to his ledger in Heaven all the punya  she, Jodha, had ever acquired thru her good deeds (there  must have been enough that to ensure  that Jalal’s account stayed in the black till the end of his days! hpee ).

It was another matter that for all her saintliness,    Jodha failed in one crucial test, that of faith, as Jalal points out to her at the very end on Friday, and to which she has, for once, no answer. (another surprise - that Jalal actually asked her the question and the extempore queen didn't have an answer) The kind of unquestioning  faith that comes from understanding a loved, and loving  one completely. It is true that  appearances were decidedly black, but then  it is under such adverse circumstances that faith, which  has, by definition, to be blind and not to need proof, has to come into it own.

And here, Jodha stumbles, for she cannot make that leap of faith and see what Atgah is able to see, that the core Jalal cannot change so drastically. And since he cannot change thus, ergo, he is pretending, for whatever reason. But perhaps, as he himself explains to her,  given her impulsive and rash  nature, it was best for the success of Jalal’s schemes that Jodha could not see thru him.

Once her fears have been  swept away,   there are  stars in Jodha’s  eyes  as she rejoices penitently  in front of the long-suffering Kanha, boasting to Moti that Shahenshah abhinay kar rahe the! Wo sab se adhik humse hi prem karte hain!! Paridhi was  excellent in this rendering of  a Jodha awash with relief and joy,  the depth of which was in direct proportion to her  desolation of just a little while earlier.. Ab yahan se jaane par man  phata sa ja raha hai..

However, it was also characteristic of her make up that  by episode end on Friday. Jodha sulks and pouts and cries prettily,  thinking only of her sufferings and nothing of what Jalal has been  thru. Predictably, he dissolves into  a puddle of regret as he promises to lavish enough mohabbat  on her to  wipe out all the unpleasant memories.

When has she ever seen anything beneath and beyond what appears at the surface. When has she ever seen things from his pov? Sigh. Atleast it was a relief that she didn't run away to Mathura as her pati ne katu vachan kahe.

I would have expected her, like Desdemona with Othello, to demand a longer and  more detailed account of  how he bested Mahaam Anga at long last. But at least she has the empathy to  note his grief about  Mahaam, and to seek to comfort him.

Now that would have been an intelligent Jodha. How I expected Jodha to be intelligent graceful and strong! She is the third, second sometimes but the first, just once in a blue moon.

Invincible self-righteousness: I was amused to see that Jodha  makes sure that she is given a complete waiver on the Khyber  issue as well.She  is  a smart cookie,  is Jodha Begum, and no matter that she loves Jalal deeply and genuinely now,  her strong streak of self-righteousness never ever goes away.

Remember her bizarre assertion to Salima that Khyber had died to save Jalal’s life and hers,   a fantasy if even there was one?  And her  insisting that the whole Khyber fiasco had been as much Jalal’s fault – for the harsh sentence he had passed on Khyber- as hers? It was as if  the whole explanation for  the sentence that Jalal had given her after he  had rescued her had never  happened.

Even then, she starts lecturing him Shahenshah, baat ko samajne ka prayas kijiye.. Her apologies are always qualified about her mansha   being good - apparently no one has told her that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And when she is between a rock and  a hard place, as when Jalal berates her about the soldiers killed by Khyber, she simply lowers her eyes and keeps quiet.

She even defended her pulling the gunpowder out of the rifle quoting her good mansha, even recently.

I suppose Jodha must be familiar with the Ramayana, and how Lord Rama treated Sita after he rescued her from Lanka, though her kidnapping was not her fault, except that she crossed the Lakshmanrekha taking Ravana to be a rishi. She had to go thru an agniparisksha. Then again,  back in Ayodhya, because a dhobi made a loose comment about her character, Rama had a pregnant Sita abandoned in the forest.

It is as well that Jalal does not know the Ramayana, and  Jodha should thank her lucky stars that she has not married the likes of Lord Rama. In fact, in a 16th century royal family, a wife who behaved as Jodha does,  and spent days on end wandering around the countryside with a  strange man, would never have been taken back. The scandal would have been horrendous and not even a Shahenshah could have weathered it.

This was NR at the worst. They did unto Jodha in Todar Mal and Khaibar  tracks what they have done unto Jalal in many recent tracks.  That a queen would sneak out in the middle of the night to release a prisoner in direct defiance of the king's order  was as unbelievable as Jalal following Nigaar Aapa to mahfoos place.

I am sorry to disappoint you, Sandhya my pet,  but  Jodha, being  like the  imperial  Hapsburgs of Austria, who remembered nothing and learnt  nothing, will not learn anything from either the Khyber affair or from this recent glimpse of the  old Jalal. And the   dilwala Jalal will be of no  help in this matter either,  as he exerts himself to compensate his chaheti begum  for all that she has been thru. In the  process,  a very  promising opportunity to educate Jodha  in the realities of life and about the need for her to display a modicum of commonsense while exercising her  rehamdili ,  was lost, very likely for ever.

Jodha will NEVER learn. Neither will Jalal it seems. He should have made her answer the questions on the soldiers killed due to Khaiber and  her lack of trust in him. Well, when he didn't even question her about the narnaal disaster, except in teases, as though it was nothing, we cannot expect more. The question is not punishing her or blaming, but enlightening her regarding the consequences of the combination of 'her good manshas and stupid actions'

Ruqaiya: For me, one of the 2 best scenes this last week was the tete a tete between Jodha and a Ruqaiya who[size=12], in [/size] an agony of guilt  and regret, bares her heart and soul  to her detested rival. The crushing sense of gratitude to Jodha that almost overpowers her is proof that Ruqaiya,  usually far from likeable,  is nonetheless not going to lose her positive facets. Grey she might be, most of the time, but  she will never   become black-hearted.  Lavina did exceptionally well in that scene, which must have made heavy demands on her as an actress.

Lavina is extremely good in these emotional scenes these days. This is the biggest plus of Ruqaiyya. She acknowledges her faults and shortcomings and is frank to herself of what she feels. Jodha terribly falls short here. Ruqaiyya is proud, no doubt, but I find Jodha very good in parts and very vain in parts. While I can overlook pride, vanity is irksome.

Mahaam:  Hers was the second of my  2 best scenes. Not  the one on Friday, when she roars at  Jalal that she did what she did because he had  become a joru ka ghulam  and was no longer worthy   of the throne.  The one of the day before, as she rages at Sakina and then at Amanullah about Jalal having been assassinated against her express orders that he should be merely dethroned and not killed.

Midway, she turns,  and catches sight of the  corpse on the floor. As she exclaims  Jalal!.. all her old tenderness for  the nurseling she had raised from babyhood surges forth anew in the voice thickened by  grief and guilt. As she crumples on the floor and weeps unrestrainedly over the Jalal she takes to be dead,  one almost  forgot all her  endless, devious villainy, and  saw her only as a  mother grieving for the son she had  loved,  and   now lost.  

When Jalal reveals himself,   Mahaam's  first reaction is only of joy and relief, and this is reflected in her Jalal!,  and the glad light in her eyes as she sees him standing in front of her.  Later, when she has lost  the game completely, and Jalal asks her what punishment he should give her,  she does not break down or plead for mercy as she did  on the last such occasion. She looks at him with dry eyes and  asks for the death penalty. Nor do her eyes flinch when Jalal sentences her to  lifelong imprisonment in a kaalkotri.  She takes it on the chin, for she is above all a very strong woman.

Ashwini was excellent Aunty. Going to miss her a lot. She is unique. I am still unable to understand Maham - a woman with such motherliness to her nursling, who understands him best, yet who schemes so much against him. I can understand if her spite was caused by Jodha and if her schemes only involved in eliminating Jodha, but she has killed all Jalal's unborn children,even before Jodha came into Jalal's life.

A curious point: Mahaam does not contradict Jalal when he  accuses her of wanting to murder him:  Jise apna beta kehti hain, use maarne ke liye ek aurat ka sahara liya?  Why? And why does he accuse her of this when he has, in his soldier disguise,  eavesdropped on Atifa telling Amanullah  that their order were  only to dethrone Jalal,   not to kill him? And did he, in maulvi disguise,  not listen to Mahaam’s laments to the same effect over the dead body?

I was surprised that Jalal could say so too, after watching her weep for him. Anyway I liked the way he paid his doodh ka karz. By preventing her from committing further follies.

All in all, it  was a stellar performance by Ashwini. I am going to miss  her Mahaam Anga very badly. Mahachuchak would be a very poor substitute; the only good thing about her is that she has been offscreen for quite a while now, along with her bald sidekick!

Atgah: He was superb this week, the character more than the generally  expressionless actor. Atgah Khan  knows his Shahenshah thru and thru, and on the bedrock of this understanding stands a faith in Jalal that nothing and no one can shake.

He also seems to have suddenly been  transformed into a sarvantaryami.  He is everywhere, detecting  everything and everyone. He  finds out that Atifa’s aim is to get Jalal to announce his nikaah  with her, thus damning himself in the eyes of his awaam.  He digs out the  most vital secret, that it is  Mahaam who is the real plotter,

(right here, Jalal is aware of the plotter, then why did he have to carry out the naatak upto nikaah?)

by eavesdropping on her meeting with Atifa.  He even manages to stumble on Chand Begum,  though one would have thought that she was safe from prying eyes in the  hidden chamber next to Mahaam’s hoojra.  Maybe, after listening to her reading the riot act to Atifa,  Atgah decides to search Mahaam’s rooms thoroughly.
(Jalal is aware of the secret passageway in MA's chamber aunty; in Ruqaiyya MC track, he sees Ma's humshakal in the chamber writing with her left hand from left to right / smoking hookah)

To sum up, the real mover and shaker this week, without whom Jalal would not have been able to bring things to such a neat conclusion, was Atgah Khan. Probably this is the very thing that is going to prove deadly for thim next week, as a raging Adham Khan swears bloody revenge on him for having  exposed and destroyed his Ammijaan.

Going to miss Atga too.

Mughlai cheese: That  one was as ludicrous as this one  was  overpowering, and at places plain incredible.  Let us go down the end game on Thursday to see how large the holes in the screenplay were. Swiss cheese was nothing to it!

I still don't believe that MA, who has known Jalal since childhood will ever even imagine that an Atifa would entice him to the extent of his giving up his throne; it is TOTALLY unbelievable.
- Why would Atifa risk the hamam? Wouldn't MA know that it would make Jalal suspicious?
-Did Jalal take papaya out for shikar only to question how she got into the hamam?
-Didn't anyone notice that Jalal said 'Qubool hai' instead of the lip-sewn groom?
-Why would MA's man dressed as the groom agree to stand up  and comply with the rest of the natak? If there is some other external threat that binds him what was the reason to sew his lips?
-Would Jalal have really forgiven Amanulla Khan had he not kicked Jodha begum?

Okay, the Shahenshah enters the nikaah hall, smiles roguishly at his dulhan-to-be,   and  sneeringly demands that all those opposed to the nikaah should speak up. No one does, not even Hamida Banu. I expected  her to  protest, seeing that she was in any case safe from any punishment  for gaddari.

Adham Khan is absent, though every one has been commanded to be present, under pain of severe penalties.  How come? Surely Mahaam  would have  wanted him there as an eventual reinforcement, seeing that he is,  if nothing else, an excellent jungbaaz?  His being  revealed as a gaddar  would hardly have mattered at that point. And where was Sharifuddin, come to think of it?

Lastly, why is a solid contingent from the awaam  included,  especially when they seemed to be violently opposed to the nikaah?   I could see no reason for this, except to have them  as a kind of Greek chorus, to cheer after the wedding is  over,  and to argue among themselves  about the relative merits of even a sinner like Jalal  and whoever might come after him as the Shahenshah, which  last was both realistic and revealing!

In a totally meaningless, indeed counterproductive exercise, Mansingh is deprived of his sword, as must Todar Mal have been. Why? These two men would have been  very useful in the final melee.

The only possible explanation is that the end  game  had to be  a solo Jalal show, and he had to be shown killing all those rebels on his own, with that  shamsheer that he pulled out so dramatically from the back of his maulvi  cassock. Good thing it did not slash the outfit in the process!

Now to the nikaah proper. Rajat’s Jalal was in top  sarcastic form as  he responds to Hamida Banu’s protest against the qazi being forced to  conduct the nikaah  at shamsheer  point. It was also a neat little demonstration  of  how almost everyone will cave in if the pressure is sufficient.

I laughed so much at the resistance the qazis put up only to comply at sword tip! Jalal really showed who the boss is! Wink 

Now the dulha in the sehra  seemed to be Jalal, for his posture was  perfect  and the voice that said  Qubool hai!  the mandated three times sounde exactly like Jalal’s. If it had been the unfortunate henchman of Mahaam’s who had his lips sewn together, as was revealed at the end, he could hardly have said anything, not to speak of saying it in Jalal’s voice. Plus,  even if he had no idea he was going to get his throat cut, how could Jalal or Atgah have got him to co-operate to the extent of  sitting  on the dais and then  getting down from it and walking up to the supposed Atifa, when his peforated lips must have been  putting  him thru hellish torment?

A minor point, but for a chap with his jugular vein sliced thru,  there is NO blood to be seen  on his sehra!  hpee 

Clean slicing.

Jodha,   blessedly, does not scream like a banshee at the sight of the supposedly dead Jalal. Instead,  she  decides to take a crack at not leaving Mahaam jeevit,  regardless of her having no weapons at hand for achieving this laudable objective.   But she does not  set off as soon as  Mahaam is revealed to be the key conspirator. She swings into action only when Mahaam is crying all over Jalal and loudly lamenting that she had never wanted to get him killed. Odd timing!

She has always been a tubelight! ROFL 

And finally,  Atgah Khan manages his mopping up operations in the other parts of the palace with such perfect timing that he rolls up with his reinforcements  as soon as Jalal yells Atgah Saheb!!  It might have been prudent if  he had done so a bit earlier.  But then it had to be Jalal  and no one but  Jalal to dispose of all the assorted ruffians, so perhaps that was understandable!
ROFL

Well, folks, this is it. From tomorrow, apart from Adham’s fulminations, and  possibly also the killing if Atgah Khan, we are sure to be treated  to more scenes of undying love between Jalal and Jodha (the mandatory 2 1/2 feet distance between them seems to have been reduced a bit on Friday!) ,(the 90 degree hug - Jalal facing the left  and Jodha the fromt, so that maximum distance is maintained)  and then, soon enough,  we shall be expected to ooh and aah over the babies.

I hope they have the leap soon and leave at least me in peace.  For my zubaan, which I gave in an unwary moment to young Sandhya,  does NOT extend to any Salim-Anarkali junk, with a pot-bellied Akbar once again!  hpee 

Aunty, you had said, that you will stay with the serial and with us till Rajat plays Akbar (there was no mention of if he would be fit and handsome or chubby cheeks sethji or a pot-bellied Akbar hpee......................just hoping that by the time the serial ends, some other show on Akbar begins, with Rajat cast in as the lead.)

Aunty, sach bathaiye, doesn't one jalalicious track  Thumbsup  with a rocking Rajat Party2   inspite of all its Mughalai cheese holes make up for all the disappointment in all the other tracks?

sandhya
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-25, 15:08

I agree, Munni, and what I would have liked was for Jalal to have reiterated that position, firmly but not harshly, on Friday,  and also emphasised the very unpleasant situation in which she could easily have found herself if she went wandering about the countryside by herself or with Khyber. As for this Khyber ka balidan, I  am at a loss to understand such babbling. Khyber commits suicide when he sees that Jodha prefers Jalal to him, that is all. The Jodha bhakts seem to be even more nutty than their aaradhya!Shyamala Auntymunnirony wrote:Aunty, I was talking about jalal's dialogues immediately after  Khyber's death. His dialogues  about the dead soldiers nd destruction tht Khyber caused were exactly the same dialogues which I was continously telling. But just like jodha her bhakts also continously ranted about mahan Khyber's mahan balidan. I just loved jalal's dialogue when he explained why exactly he jailed Khyber into the well. For me it was the jalal which I want to see . Confidently putting forward his point.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-25, 15:15

Thank you for such detailed, apposite and delightful comments, my dear Sandhya. I enjoyed them far more than I enjoyed doing the post!
No, no, you little minx, I never said any such thing. You are going in for creative interpretation with a vengeance!
But never mind, I will try and do a weekly round up for you,  unless the week consists only of Jalal saying fatuous things to a self-satisfied Jodha.  Not that anyone else but the half a dozen of you will read them.
3 hours and more of work for a dozen readers; it is a bit  too much of effort, would you not say? Why do you not do the episode analyses yourself, my pet?  You would do them far better than anyone else I can think of.
Shyamala Aunty

sandhya

Near Duress? .....no, no, no Evil or Very Mad . 
Thank You for the post aunty. TE deserves it. hpee

Actually, the rush was perhaps to cover up all the gaping holes in the 'plans'. It was done so fast that we didn't have the time to think.

He played the besotted lover of Sandhya’s papaya¸(Actually it was Sun29 who christened her papita) and the sarcastic, stubborn, unfeeling shauhar of all three of his khaas begums,  with equal elan. He  was a delight to watch as he treated them all to classic putdowns that  instantly deflated any  notions they might have entertained of their influence over him.  And this without any overt harshness, except to Jodha, who  he knew would be the most difficult to  put off.  It was an interesting display of the real power equations between husband and  wife in that age, and often even now. Equations which, in this show, have been buried under a totally unrealistic 21st century treatment of a medieval tale.

Rajat/Jalal were on a roll, after a long long time. Rajat had actually begun to appear bored these days, esp in and post the war track. This track got him firing from all cylinders. (Papaya invigorates and refreshes the body systems, he he......). Anyway, even if his family have got to know that he was acting afterall, the effect of it all must have seeped into them inadvertently. They would have atleast to themselves realised where they stand, if this one man, decides to be good no more. (ofcourse except Jodha who is ever convinced that she is never wrong)

So did we all. hpee 

Aunty, I dreaded another folded hands apology or pair choona and was ultimately happy that it ended with this. No 

When has he ever been praised by anyone at all for anything, while Mrs. Urmi praises Jodha even when she cruelly and unthinkingly lands her husband in front of the canon.

It was another matter that for all her saintliness,    Jodha failed in one crucial test, that of faith, as Jalal points out to her at the very end on Friday, and to which she has, for once, no answer. (another surprise - that Jalal actually asked her the question and the extempore queen didn't have an answer) The kind of unquestioning  faith that comes from understanding a loved, and loving  one completely. It is true that  appearances were decidedly black, but then  it is under such adverse circumstances that faith, which  has, by definition, to be blind and not to need proof, has to come into it own.

When has she ever seen anything beneath and beyond what appears at the surface. When has she ever seen things from his pov? Sigh. Atleast it was a relief that she didn't run away to Mathura as her pati ne katu vachan kahe.

Now that would have been an intelligent Jodha. How I expected Jodha to be intelligent graceful and strong! She is the third, second sometimes but the first, just once in a blue moon.

She even defended her pulling the gunpowder out of the rifle quoting her good mansha, even recently.

This was NR at the worst. They did unto Jodha in Todar Mal and Khaibar  tracks what they have done unto Jalal in many recent tracks.  That a queen would sneak out in the middle of the night to release a prisoner in direct defiance of the king's order  was as unbelievable as Jalal following Nigaar Aapa to mahfoos place.

Jodha will NEVER learn. Neither will Jalal it seems. He should have made her answer the questions on the soldiers killed due to Khaiber and  her lack of trust in him. Well, when he didn't even question her about the narnaal disaster, except in teases, as though it was nothing, we cannot expect more. The question is not punishing her or blaming, but enlightening her regarding the consequences of the combination of 'her good manshas and stupid actions'

Ruqaiya: For me, one of the 2 best scenes this last week was the tete a tete between Jodha and a Ruqaiya who[size=12], in [/size] an agony of guilt  and regret, bares her heart and soul  to her detested rival. The crushing sense of gratitude to Jodha that almost overpowers her is proof that Ruqaiya,  usually far from likeable,  is nonetheless not going to lose her positive facets. Grey she might be, most of the time, but  she will never   become black-hearted.  Lavina did exceptionally well in that scene, which must have made heavy demands on her as an actress.

Lavina is extremely good in these emotional scenes these days. This is the biggest plus of Ruqaiyya. She acknowledges her faults and shortcomings and is frank to herself of what she feels. Jodha terribly falls short here. Ruqaiyya is proud, no doubt, but I find Jodha very good in parts and very vain in parts. While I can overlook pride, vanity is irksome.

Ashwini was excellent Aunty. Going to miss her a lot. She is unique. I am still unable to understand Maham - a woman with such motherliness to her nursling, who understands him best, yet who schemes so much against him. I can understand if her spite was caused by Jodha and if her schemes only involved in eliminating Jodha, but she has killed all Jalal's unborn children,even before Jodha came into Jalal's life.

I was surprised that Jalal could say so too, after watching her weep for him. Anyway I liked the way he paid his doodh ka karz. By preventing her from committing further follies.

He also seems to have suddenly been  transformed into a sarvantaryami.  He is everywhere, detecting  everything and everyone. He  finds out that Atifa’s aim is to get Jalal to announce his nikaah  with her, thus damning himself in the eyes of his awaam.  He digs out the  most vital secret, that it is  Mahaam who is the real plotter,

(right here, Jalal is aware of the plotter, then why did he have to carry out the naatak upto nikaah?)

by eavesdropping on her meeting with Atifa.  He even manages to stumble on Chand Begum,  though one would have thought that she was safe from prying eyes in the  hidden chamber next to Mahaam’s hoojra.  Maybe, after listening to her reading the riot act to Atifa,  Atgah decides to search Mahaam’s rooms thoroughly.
(Jalal is aware of the secret passageway in MA's chamber aunty; in Ruqaiyya MC track, he sees Ma's humshakal in the chamber writing with her left hand from left to right / smoking hookah)

Going to miss Atga too.

I still don't believe that MA, who has known Jalal since childhood will ever even imagine that an Atifa would entice him to the extent of his giving up his throne; it is TOTALLY unbelievable.
- Why would Atifa risk the hamam? Wouldn't MA know that it would make Jalal suspicious?
-Did Jalal take papaya out for shikar only to question how she got into the hamam?
-Didn't anyone notice that Jalal said 'Qubool hai' instead of the lip-sewn groom?
-Why would MA's man dressed as the groom agree to stand up  and comply with the rest of the natak? If there is some other external threat that binds him what was the reason to sew his lips?
-Would Jalal have really forgiven Amanulla Khan had he not kicked Jodha begum?

I laughed so much at the resistance the qazis put up only to comply at sword tip! Jalal really showed who the boss is! Wink 

Clean slicing.

She has always been a tubelight! ROFL 

ROFL

Well, folks, this is it. From tomorrow, apart from Adham’s fulminations, and  possibly also the killing if Atgah Khan, we are sure to be treated  to more scenes of undying love between Jalal and Jodha (the mandatory 2 1/2 feet distance between them seems to have been reduced a bit on Friday!) ,(the 90 degree hug - Jalal facing the left  and Jodha the fromt, so that maximum distance is maintained)  and then, soon enough,  we shall be expected to ooh and aah over the babies.

Aunty, you had said, that you will stay with the serial and with us till Rajat plays Akbar (there was no mention of if he would be fit and handsome or chubby cheeks sethji or a pot-bellied Akbar hpee......................just hoping that by the time the serial ends, some other show on Akbar begins, with Rajat cast in as the lead.)

Aunty, sach bathaiye, doesn't one jalalicious track  Thumbsup  with a rocking Rajat Party2   inspite of all its Mughalai cheese holes make up for all the disappointment in all the other tracks?

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by mishti on 2014-08-25, 15:55

Aunty, thank you so, so much for this take of yours hpee 

You've covered all that was to be said about, with detail and humour, of course.

I so loved this Jalal and your take as well....he was a refreshing change, in every each way...he was intelligent, strategist, mysterious, furious, tempting hot....all in one play Wink 
I soooooo loved this Mughalai Cheese Thumbsup 

For your point on lack of appreciation....I doubt, even after witnessing the unfolding of whole trap in DEK the Queen, or his Begumat would've got even an iota of the seriousness of the situation that was and its grave and long term consequences, after it got over ...for their expressions were of relief, that Shehanshaah is still the same and he thinks and cares FOR them....may be I would say that while Jalal was slashing through his enemies, explaining and nailing Maham in the court, was Jodha gushing and fan girling over him, impressed...nothing much later.

Regarding faith, she not only failed wrt Jalal, but wrt Kanha too...and this she herself admitted that  she was wrong to loose faith in her Kanha and Jalal, albeit infront of Kanha ...and that is why she was tongue tied when Jalal too questioned her the same thing, coz this was her own question to herself, which she lacked any answer.

Was not, Jalal searching her frantically without food-water or sleep and rest, a dead give away? But then, why am I not surprised? Whenever anything has to do with Jalal, she's immensely short sighted, dubious (even now), lacks understanding of his POV, can't go past his words and see his deeds, as they say action speaks louder than words, not for Jodha wrt Jalal....and as he said not still recognize him Rolling Eyes 

I liked Jodha, when she went to reason out with Shehanshaah, how his Niqaah will have long term political implications and that it would send the nation in to ashaanti and blood shed....that was a Queen talking, a rare sight Shocked 

Regarding that Khyber track...it had all questionable, unroyal, utterly foolish, insensitive things....and when Jodha tried to ask Jalal, if he wasn't angry at her for that......it was like behati Ganga mein haath dhona......it also showed glaringly, how much low regard she has for her Emperor's reasoning, his concerns, his valuable advices...how much self centered she'd become, for all that it mattered to her was his faith in her, and not about his loss of pride and dignity publicly......I'm glad, though mildly, but Jalal did put forward to her, what was his fake and what was real anger and concern...not that she would ponder over it, or learn from them or recognize them and her shortcomings.
I so want a teacher, a guide for her. Evil or Very Mad  Bang 

For your point on, why Maham didn't oppose Jalal, when he implicated her for trying to kill him?
I think she was too shocked and dumb founded at being exposed of her inner self and intentions, so brazenly by Jalal in full public view......
also as much as she didn't want him being killed, but she's not naive and very much aware that in traps and conspiracies like she wound up....Kings dethroned, and much like an all powerful Shehanshaah Jalal-ud-din Mohammed Akbar, are killed and not kept in captivity for they always pose a threat. Therefore, upon seeing dead body of her nursling she cried, but her grief was ridden on blaming Jodha  and not that her conspiracy cost her son.
Even when Jalal asked, why? She reasoned in losing a Shehanshaah SHE MADE, and not a loss of  Awaam's Shehanshaah. 
All through her crying and defending to get back at Jalal....she rode either on Jodha or Awaam...and Jalal very well trapped her at her own game. I'd thought that for once she would be true to her intentions, given a strong personality she's, as in last time bhandhaphod, she'd been bitterly frank with Jalal about her lament of being a mere bandhi and how her son did not achieve the fruits of her brain as she wasn't royal.......but no, this time she constantly tried to hide her true self, and when that harshly uncovered by Jalal to be seen by all, she crumbled.

Ruqaiya, even in that situation, I felt was quite bitterly rejoicing at Jodha's plight...she still was haughty and not humble....and that was her character consistency.

As for Jalal being sorry...that is Jalal for us, ain't he? It's shows the MAN he is..a rare gem. luv 
But still he was not regretting, and this is the main thing for us. Phew!!! 

The type of romance will remain the same, as much I would like it to improve.... I must say I AM A HOPE LESS FOOL  Embarassed 
Why they can't show Jodha, for once, touching and loving his locks....is it not for 8:00 PM slot?
It can be so passionate and still look royally dignified.

Aunty, your readers are glad, you took this, "hum ne li hai shapath" and that you didn't learn from Raja Dasharath or Bheeshm...and we are reaping the fruits of it as your posts on JA.... hpee  long hug

mishti

Back to top Go down

Post by lashy on 2014-08-26, 02:22

Beautiful post as usual aunty.. I read both of your previous takes in Anjali's thread too... long hug though when I started commenting lost it... and by the time I came back the track was nearly done... so I'm here now... sorry about that...

But then, what the heck! Ekta knows her audience, the TRP one and the IF  one, and she tailored this simplistic, at times plain nutty resolution to please all of them at one fell sweep. And her cast rose to the occasion splendidly.
Yes.. it was rushed loool

He played the besotted lover of Sandhya’s papaya¸ and the sarcastic, stubborn, unfeeling shauhar of all three of his khaas begums,  with equal elan. He  was a delight to watch as he treated them all to classic putdowns that  instantly deflated any  notions they might have entertained of their influence over him.  And this without any overt harshness, except to Jodha, who  he knew would be the most difficult to  put off.  It was an interesting display of the real power equations between husband and  wife in that age, and often even now. Equations which, in this show, have been buried under a totally unrealistic 21st century treatment of a medieval tale.
Yes... though I would have liked a bit of a middle ground between two
... hee hee..
like you mentioned, a stern treatment rather than a harsh treatment.. nevertheless, it was only a temporary
blip in the tale and we're back to normal again hppy
Khauf-e-Jalal:
And though many of Jalal’s  scenes with Atgah, Mansingh and Todar Mal were decidedly OTT in the depiction of the harsh, almost cruel Shahenshah who seemed to have suddenly taken over inside Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar, Rajat made  them all a treat to watch.  His handling of the scene where he orders that cannon be mounted  on the ramparts of the fort to intimidate the protestors -  Hukumat ki jaati hai awaam ke dil me khauf paida karke - was an excellent example of  how he brought the old khauf-e-Jalal  alive once more.  During  almost the whole of this week,  Rajat’s Jalal  got the chance to do this kind of  wonderful,  hatke  stuff after what seemed like forever, and he dug his teeth into this unexpected opportunity and  made the most of it.  So did I!
RT Twisted Evil  he was da man!

Curious lack of appreciation:  
I know ... Shocked 
the focus has suddenly shifted to MA now... and with the dropping TRPs I think the CVs were happy to just wrap up the track
At least, Jodha was not needlessly praised, her faults were highlighted (though only temporarily) and Jalal didn't over-beg for forgiveness.. it was all far more composed ... having said that (as you have mentioned in this post - the Khyber issue's completion was wrapped up just as quickly too hppy )

Yes.. hpee

Atgah was the one sensible person in this whole track!

She doesn't like to be blamed aunty - a trait that hasn't changed and will never change
Ruqaiya: For me, one of the 2 best scenes this last week was the tete a tete between Jodha and a Ruqaiya who, in an agony of guilt  and regret, bares her heart and soul  to her detested rival. The crushing sense of gratitude to Jodha that almost overpowers her is proof that Ruqaiya,  usually far from likeable,  is nonetheless not going to lose her positive facets. Grey she might be, most of the time, but  she will never   become black-hearted.  Lavina did exceptionally well in that scene, which must have made heavy demands on her as an actress.

Ashwini. I am going to miss  her Mahaam Anga very badly. Mahachuchak would be a very poor substitute; the only good thing about her is that she has been offscreen for quite a while now, along with her bald sidekick!
Ashwini is THE BEST! There is no replacement for her character or her acting prowess onscreen

He also seems to have suddenly been  transformed into a sarvantaryami.  He is everywhere, detecting  everything and everyone. He  finds out that Atifa’s aim is to get Jalal to announce his nikaah  with her, thus damning himself in the eyes of his awaam.  He digs out the  most vital secret, that it is  Mahaam who is the real plotter,   by eavesdropping on her meeting with Atifa.  He even manages to stumble on Chand Begum,  though one would have thought that she was safe from prying eyes in the  hidden chamber next to Mahaam’s hoojra.  Maybe, after listening to her reading the riot act to Atifa,  Atgah decides to search Mahaam’s rooms thoroughly.

Yes aunty... Atgah was the near-hero of the track.. had it not been for RT's acting attracting all to him... it would have become all the more obvious that Atgah did all of the running around, thinking and ground work!

luv

All this while, seasoned warriors like Todar Mal and Munim Khan,  and a young, courageous fighter like Mansingh, are all unable to deal with the soldiers behind each of them,  holding  swords to their throats.  Difficult to digest, this one!

ROFL
The whole timing of everything in that scene was a bit odd aunty... Rolling Eyes

ROFL  God Aunty!

A pleasure as always... long hug

lashy
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-26, 17:30

I too would hope for all this, Adiana, but the prospects look dim. Yesterday's unadulterated nonsense does not bode well for the immediate future. And I am not sure that Rajat is street smart enough to have lined up a new show without upsetting Ekta. I would not be surprised if the much  written about leap  does not materialise at all, and we are treated to more and more of such guff.  Last night looked exactly like the kind of stuff Ekta dishes out as fillers and stretchers. Shyamalaadianasr wrote:Shyamala, it does seem from the way the show is going that there will be a leap - next week will see the deaths of Atgha and Adham - followed by the death of Maham - and then the birth and death of Akbar's twins - all this shd be done by 12th Sept - which then means we will be taken directly to the events around the birth of Salim and September will end with the birth celebrations of Salim - and that does mean we shd get that leap in October - and I wont be sorry if that happens as long as Rajat has his exit plan in place simultaneously !!!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-26, 17:44

Thank you so much, Lashykanna, for wading thru not only this post but the Atifa Ramayanas as well, and then offering such neat and pertinent comments on this one. They read better than my post, yours and Sandhya's  takes on my take.

The truth is, my little one, that I have started tiring of Jodha Akbar as a whole. It is like falling out of love. Suddenly, all the same things that you once delighted in seem dull and irritating. For me, the Jalal-Jodha scenes fall clearly into this category. They either bore me or exasperate me. I have touched on a few of the irritating points in this post,  but they are endless.

I think the one who really has the pulse of the forum, including of all of you kids, is Divya.  Having an excellent excuse, in her mandatorily positive takes,  to avoid any and all negatives, she is happy  dishing out pink candy confections, and her readers,  having neither the taste for nor the  attention to detail that even reading analysis needs,  are, as the French would say, aux anges. She wanted me to post this  one of mine on her Take 10 thread, but I could not see how it would fit into all that endless gushing.

So, my Lashykanna, I am now weary of the serial, the actors, and the forums. And when I am not at all excited about the subject, what can I write about it that would at least passably good? My posts nowadays feel like school homework.

Take care of yourself, my dear, and I hope you have been keeping well.

Affectionately,

Shyamala Aunty

lashy

Beautiful post as usual aunty.. I read both of your previous takes in Anjali's thread too... long hug though when I started commenting lost it... and by the time I came back the track was nearly done... so I'm here now... sorry about that...

But then, what the heck! Ekta knows her audience, the TRP one and the IF  one, and she tailored this simplistic, at times plain nutty resolution to please all of them at one fell sweep. And her cast rose to the occasion splendidly.
Yes.. it was rushed loool

Yes... though I would have liked a bit of a middle ground between two
... hee hee..
like you mentioned, a stern treatment rather than a harsh treatment.. nevertheless, it was only a temporary
blip in the tale and we're back to normal again hppy
Khauf-e-Jalal:
And though many of Jalal’s  scenes with Atgah, Mansingh and Todar Mal were decidedly OTT in the depiction of the harsh, almost cruel Shahenshah who seemed to have suddenly taken over inside Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar, Rajat made  them all a treat to watch.  His handling of the scene where he orders that cannon be mounted  on the ramparts of the fort to intimidate the protestors -  Hukumat ki jaati hai awaam ke dil me khauf paida karke - was an excellent example of  how he brought the old khauf-e-Jalal  alive once more.  During  almost the whole of this week,  Rajat’s Jalal  got the chance to do this kind of  wonderful,  hatke  stuff after what seemed like forever, and he dug his teeth into this unexpected opportunity and  made the most of it.  So did I!
RT Twisted Evil  he was da man!

Curious lack of appreciation:  
I know ... Shocked 
the focus has suddenly shifted to MA now... and with the dropping TRPs I think the CVs were happy to just wrap up the track
At least, Jodha was not needlessly praised, her faults were highlighted (though only temporarily) and Jalal didn't over-beg for forgiveness.. it was all far more composed ... having said that (as you have mentioned in this post - the Khyber issue's completion was wrapped up just as quickly too hppy )

Yes.. hpee

Atgah was the one sensible person in this whole track!

She doesn't like to be blamed aunty - a trait that hasn't changed and will never change

Ashwini. I am going to miss  her Mahaam Anga very badly. Mahachuchak would be a very poor substitute; the only good thing about her is that she has been offscreen for quite a while now, along with her bald sidekick!
Ashwini is THE BEST! There is no replacement for her character or her acting prowess onscreen

Yes aunty... Atgah was the near-hero of the track.. had it not been for RT's acting attracting all to him... it would have become all the more obvious that Atgah did all of the running around, thinking and ground work!

luv

ROFL
The whole timing of everything in that scene was a bit odd aunty... Rolling Eyes

ROFL  God Aunty!

A pleasure as always... long hug

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-26, 18:01

My little Mishti,

I loved all your comments and explanations, especially the ones about Mahaam,and the behti Ganga mein haath dhona. And if what you have said about the reason for the lack of  warm praise  from his khaas begums for what Jalal had achieved is correct, why then it is very depressing, to see that even Ruqaiya with all her siyasati tajurba, and Salima, after all those years spent listening to Bairam  Khan, can be so dumb.

As for the mild reference Jalal made to the Khyber fiasco, it was ridiculous. If Khyber had not turned up in the nick  of time,  Jodha could have  been treated like Nirbhaya by those bandits and then sold into a kotha  before Jalal  had any idea of what had happened to her. Even leaving that out, he does not take such a godsent opportunity to teach her a lesson about her follies, instead he is busy assuring her  that he was not angry about anything else but her endangering her life. There is no hope for this chap.

I don't know about my posts these days, my dear. You are very kind, but I am not satisfied with them. It is because I am no longer really interested in this show. When I used to be, I wrote posts like The Emperor strikes back, The Gordian knot, Heartbreak road, Heartbreak ++, Sunlight on a butterfly's wings, Shakespearian heights, and the like. Nowadays, the ones I  write only to please you kids at times feel like school homework! I am  tired and my eyes are sore, but do take a look at my response to Lashy above.

Take care, my pet.

Shyamala Aunty
mishtiAunty, thank you so, so much for this take of yours hpee 

You've covered all that was to be said about, with detail and humour, of course.

I so loved this Jalal and your take as well....he was a refreshing change, in every each way...he was intelligent, strategist, mysterious, furious, tempting hot....all in one play Wink 
I soooooo loved this Mughalai Cheese Thumbsup 

For your point on lack of appreciation....I doubt, even after witnessing the unfolding of whole trap in DEK the Queen, or his Begumat would've got even an iota of the seriousness of the situation that was and its grave and long term consequences, after it got over ...for their expressions were of relief, that Shehanshaah is still the same and he thinks and cares FOR them....may be I would say that while Jalal was slashing through his enemies, explaining and nailing Maham in the court, was Jodha gushing and fan girling over him, impressed...nothing much later.

Regarding faith, she not only failed wrt Jalal, but wrt Kanha too...and this she herself admitted that  she was wrong to loose faith in her Kanha and Jalal, albeit infront of Kanha ...and that is why she was tongue tied when Jalal too questioned her the same thing, coz this was her own question to herself, which she lacked any answer.

Was not, Jalal searching her frantically without food-water or sleep and rest, a dead give away? But then, why am I not surprised? Whenever anything has to do with Jalal, she's immensely short sighted, dubious (even now), lacks understanding of his POV, can't go past his words and see his deeds, as they say action speaks louder than words, not for Jodha wrt Jalal....and as he said not still recognize him Rolling Eyes 

I liked Jodha, when she went to reason out with Shehanshaah, how his Niqaah will have long term political implications and that it would send the nation in to ashaanti and blood shed....that was a Queen talking, a rare sight Shocked 

Regarding that Khyber track...it had all questionable, unroyal, utterly foolish, insensitive things....and when Jodha tried to ask Jalal, if he wasn't angry at her for that......it was like behati Ganga mein haath dhona......it also showed glaringly, how much low regard she has for her Emperor's reasoning, his concerns, his valuable advices...how much self centered she'd become, for all that it mattered to her was his faith in her, and not about his loss of pride and dignity publicly......I'm glad, though mildly, but Jalal did put forward to her, what was his fake and what was real anger and concern...not that she would ponder over it, or learn from them or recognize them and her shortcomings.
I so want a teacher, a guide for her. Evil or Very Mad  Bang 

For your point on, why Maham didn't oppose Jalal, when he implicated her for trying to kill him?
I think she was too shocked and dumb founded at being exposed of her inner self and intentions, so brazenly by Jalal in full public view......
also as much as she didn't want him being killed, but she's not naive and very much aware that in traps and conspiracies like she wound up....Kings dethroned, and much like an all powerful Shehanshaah Jalal-ud-din Mohammed Akbar, are killed and not kept in captivity for they always pose a threat. Therefore, upon seeing dead body of her nursling she cried, but her grief was ridden on blaming Jodha  and not that her conspiracy cost her son.
Even when Jalal asked, why? She reasoned in losing a Shehanshaah SHE MADE, and not a loss of  Awaam's Shehanshaah. 
All through her crying and defending to get back at Jalal....she rode either on Jodha or Awaam...and Jalal very well trapped her at her own game. I'd thought that for once she would be true to her intentions, given a strong personality she's, as in last time bhandhaphod, she'd been bitterly frank with Jalal about her lament of being a mere bandhi and how her son did not achieve the fruits of her brain as she wasn't royal.......but no, this time she constantly tried to hide her true self, and when that harshly uncovered by Jalal to be seen by all, she crumbled.

Ruqaiya, even in that situation, I felt was quite bitterly rejoicing at Jodha's plight...she still was haughty and not humble....and that was her character consistency.

As for Jalal being sorry...that is Jalal for us, ain't he? It's shows the MAN he is..a rare gem. luv 
But still he was not regretting, and this is the main thing for us. Phew!!! 

The type of romance will remain the same, as much I would like it to improve.... I must say I AM A HOPE LESS FOOL  Embarassed 
Why they can't show Jodha, for once, touching and loving his locks....is it not for 8:00 PM slot?
It can be so passionate and still look royally dignified.

Aunty, your readers are glad, you took this, "hum ne li hai shapath" and that you didn't learn from Raja Dasharath or Bheeshm...and we are reaping the fruits of it as your posts on JA.... hpee  long hug

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by lashy on 2014-08-27, 00:36

sashashyam wrote:

Thank you so much, Lashykanna, for wading thru not only this post but the Atifa Ramayanas as well, and then offering such neat and pertinent comments on this one. They read better than my post, yours and Sandhya's  takes on my take.

The truth is, my little one, that I have started tiring of Jodha Akbar as a whole. It is like falling out of love. Suddenly, all the same things that you once delighted in seem dull and irritating. For me, the Jalal-Jodha scenes fall clearly into this category. They either bore me or exasperate me. I have touched on a few of the irritating points in this post,  but they are endless.

I think the one who really has the pulse of the forum, including of all of you kids, is Divya.  Having an excellent excuse, in her mandatorily positive takes,  to avoid any and all negatives, she is happy  dishing out pink candy confections, and her readers,  having neither the taste for nor the  attention to detail that even reading analysis needs,  are, as the French would say, aux anges. She wanted me to post this  one of mine on her Take 10 thread, but I could not see how it would fit into all that endless gushing.

So, my Lashykanna, I am now weary of the serial, the actors, and the forums. And when I am not at all excited about the subject, what can I write about it that would at least passably good? My posts nowadays feel like school homework.

Affectionately,

Shyamala Aunty

Lashy Kanna luv ... brought back so many memories.. 

Despite the fact that your takes are just as sublime, it's totally understandable that you are bored periyamma... it is true that the Jalal Jodha we saw during Mohan Ajmer Shariff, sword scenes and Shaahi farmaan are not the same ones now...

Having said that, this Atgah/Adham/Javeda/MA track is bringing about a few greyer shades to the serial which I think is welcome... MA-Jalal's equation and (hopefully?) better Ruqs-Jodha bonding?

I sense that you didn't like the Atifa track though it got a lot of us chirping for a while - but were quite elated for the fact that it was a showcase for RT and his capabilities! 

lashy
Shining Silver
Shining Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by adianasr on 2014-08-27, 10:08

Shyamala, in fact I even see a possibility of the show wrapping up by the year end !!!! scared  EK for all her foibles has excellent sense for the audience pulse  hpee  - and she too has seen the lackluster romance between JA leads  hppy  - and when this was the core of her show and when the very core has gone hollow, she is no fool to continue - so either we see a huge leap to Salim - Anarkali or we see till Salim's birth and the show ending there  Twisted Evil  - as for Rajat, if the show wraps up he is free to move and if there is a leap then most probably he will be out and hence free to move, to greener pastures - either way works for us party4 - and as for his having lined up something - possibility of him going behind the camera as of now seems higher than before it - unless he gets something that he is really prepared to sink his teeth into !!!!! - Definitely, this time all of us will be waiting to see his next act !!!!! lazee

adianasr
Bronzie
Bronzie

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-27, 12:28

You know, Adiana, that would really be perfect. Maybe your Ms. Kayanat can get into action soon, for if she does not oblige us, we are in for endless boredom.
At least I shall be, for whoever was delighted with the Jalal-Jodha pyar-mohabbat scenes of last night, I was not. I thought they looked like yesterday's soup warmed up. Rajat tries very hard, but somehow they just  do not work, for there is not the slightest hint of any depth of emotion, not to speak of passion,  from Jodha's side.  They thus  end up looking stagey and fake.
The highlight for  me last night was the precap, with a silently furious Jalal looking, with his smouldering eyes under lowered brows,  like the presiding deity on the day of judgment. That was a clever touch, Mahaam seeing the bloody apparition of the young Jalal  a little earlier in her cell. It was a spooky premonition, like something out of Hamlet. Mahaam is far more interesting than Jodha Begum any day.
I do not know if it would be wise for Rajat, with his looks and his talent, to go behind the camera at this stage of his career. Not in TV, that is for sure, for I cannot imagine him directing Ronit Roy and Sakshi Tanwar for Ekta! Besides, TV directors get neither fame  nor money, I would imagine.  He should stick to acting for another 10 years at least, and I devoutly hope he gets a really good role after this one. They are planning a serial on Ashoka, and the chap who played Arjun in the latest Mahabharata was mentioned for that role. I hope they think of Rajat, the role would fit him to a T.
Shyamala
adianasrShyamala, in fact I even see a possibility of the show wrapping up by the year end !!!! scared  EK for all her foibles has excellent sense for the audience pulse  hpee  - and she too has seen the lackluster romance between JA leads  hppy  - and when this was the core of her show and when the very core has gone hollow, she is no fool to continue - so either we see a huge leap to Salim - Anarkali or we see till Salim's birth and the show ending there  Twisted Evil  - as for Rajat, if the show wraps up he is free to move and if there is a leap then most probably he will be out and hence free to move, to greener pastures - either way works for us party4 - and as for his having lined up something - possibility of him going behind the camera as of now seems higher than before it - unless he gets something that he is really prepared to sink his teeth into !!!!! - Definitely, this time all of us will be waiting to see his next act !!!!! lazee

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-27, 12:40

Thank you, my dear Munni, for I did not know that, and they showed it as some sort of composite programme.  Rajat entered in grand style on elephant back, jumped perfectly from that height to the ground, and  actually came into the crowd for his swordplay. It was very well done.Shyamala Auntymunnirony wrote:Aunty,  the prog which ur talking about is an item from zee ristey awards 2013. Nd yes tht was brilliant not only the performances but also rajat was in full mood.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-27, 12:45

Yes, Mandy dear, and last night was not bad, though, as I have written to Adiana above, the Jalal-Jodha pyar-mohabbat scenes are boring and look fake. Jalal in the precap - eyes smouldering from under drawn brows and looking like the  deity on the Day of Judgment  - was fabulous. I also liked the Shakespearian touch in Mahaam's premonition when she sees the apparition of a bloody young Jalal. Spooky and very effective.Shyamalamandygi wrote:shyamala, interesting analysis with valid questions regarding the bloopers and unexplained scenes! but i let go off all of them becasue for me it was a delight to get back our rajat's jalal which had dissappeared under the shadow of ekta's historical turned SBS! i wa happy for our jalal and i was happy for our rajat!..all i want now is a strong akbar and a supporting jodha which might be possible as they are getting ready for the leap what else is needed to shown in terms of mahaanta and hunabaazi of mhaari jodha!..i hope it all ends and we get to see some history and some interesting story!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-08-27, 13:14

I love the term Lashykanna, there is such a tone of endearment to it. I still call Sasha Kanna or Kannappa when I talk to him.

Well, as for the Atifa track, yes, I liked it for the scope it gave Rajat to do something very different from the poodle act he had  begun to specialise in of late, and even more so, I was delighted  because Jalal came out on top by himself, and that too in  a very tough situation. 

I also liked the Jalal-Atifa scenes; I was not one of those who disliked Atifa on principle and wanted to consign her summarily to perdition. The Jalal-Jodha scenes, even now that they are supposed to be so much in love, do not have any of the  total absorption, the deewaangee, that Rajat's Jalal brought to those scenes with Atifa, for all that he was faking.

But I did not much like the denoument, which reminded me, in its confusion and  loose ends, of  the Lakhi track.  Remember, Lashykanna, that Jalal, ruminating in his hoojra after the concert where Atifa sings, tells himself: Tum mein kuch to hai, Atifa, jo mujhe tumhari taraf kheenchta chala jaata hai..Then looking at the horrible daub of Atifa, he adds, Tum bahut khoobsurat ho.. tumhein dekhne par humein na jaane kya ho jaata hai..

Now, there is no one else there for whose benefit Jalal would be putting on this act. So what do these lines mean? It made no sense at all.

Also, he is really angry with Jodha over the Khyber sentence annullation, and is muttering furiously to himself as he strides away about how she has shamed him in public. This too is not for anyone's benefit, and so has to be genuine anger.

Later, during her jungle safari with Khyber, Jodha endangers herself, her life and her honour, to the extreme. She does not seem to think back, even in passing,  on the horrendous possibilities . She would, but for Khyber's fortuitous arrival in the very nick of time, have ended up like Nirbhaya, and  if she had survived, would have been sold into a kotha. And for all the pat talk of jauhar, how would she get at the stuff needed for a jauhar? Her captors would have tied her hands and feet and made sure she could not kill herself.

But now she does not even get a rap on the knuckles from Jalal for such criminal folly. It was unbelievable, the way in which her idiocies are not just swept under the carpet, but Jalal ends up apologising to her! As I had written in this post, the Maryada Purushottam treated his far  less culpable wife very differently, and yes, Sita was also expecting.

So, for me, the siyasati Jalal was what I liked in the Atifa track, but I did NOT like the way he handled his begums, and especially Jodha, at the end of the track. Now of course, once the Atgah-Adham-Mahaam interlude is over, we will be back  in poodleland soon enough, alas!

Even now, whoever was delighted with the Jalal-Jodha pyar-mohabbat scenes of last night, I was not. I thought they looked like yesterday's soup warmed up. Rajat tries very hard, but somehow they just  do not work, for there is not the slightest hint of any depth of emotion, not to speak of passion,  from Jodha's side. She has the same conventional gaon ki gori coquetry, not a queen's grand amour. They thus  end up looking stagey and fake.

The highlight for  me last night was the precap, with a silently furious Jalal looking, with his smouldering eyes under lowered brows,  like the presiding deity on the day of judgment. That was a clever touch, Mahaam seeing the bloody apparition of the young Jalal  a little earlier in her cell. It was a spooky premonition, like something out of Hamlet. Mahaam is far more interesting than Jodha Begum any day.

I hope, my dear, that  you are being good,  looking after yourself properly, and getting enough exercise on a daily basis.  As I wrote to you, all this aaram karna chahiye is unadulterated nonsense. You should stay as active as  you can; it will stand you in good stead.

Affectionately,

Shyamala Aunty

lashy
sashashyam wrote:

Affectionately,

Shyamala Aunty

Lashy Kanna luv ... brought back so many memories.. 

Despite the fact that your takes are just as sublime, it's totally understandable that you are bored periyamma... it is true that the Jalal Jodha we saw during Mohan Ajmer Shariff, sword scenes and Shaahi farmaan are not the same ones now...

Having said that, this Atgah/Adham/Javeda/MA track is bringing about a few greyer shades to the serial which I think is welcome... MA-Jalal's equation and (hopefully?) better Ruqs-Jodha bonding?

I sense that you didn't like the Atifa track though it got a lot of us chirping for a while - but were quite elated for the fact that it was a showcase for RT and his capabilities! 

Last edited by sashashyam on 2014-08-27, 13:31; edited 2 times in total

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 23:39

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: