Latest topics

Airlines 1-5: Flying high

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Airlines 1-5: Flying high

Post by sashashyam on 2014-09-24, 18:30

Folks,

I have written nothing on Jodha Akbar for a while now, but this new show on Star Plus is a welcome change, and  I decided to do a take on the first 5  episodes, right up to that of Sunday September 21. It is, as usual, longer than I had intended it to be! hpee

Akash Saluja: altogether admirable:
I loved  my young IF friend Khushi's neat line,  that Akash and Ananya are now in a comfort zone and should soon be moving into the discomfort zone. 

But  she, like all young folks, can see only the romance in the offing, and in the meantime,  what is not highlighted is what is already there. Not just the comfort zone, but something rarer and more important, the genuine respect that even an impatient high flyer like Akash Saluja gives to a strong, capable professional woman whom he has, at the beginning,  no reason to like, in fact quite the opposite.
That says more about him than it does about her.  I loved it, for it is not because she is a gorgeous looker, but because she is a very sound pilot, and he does not let his irritation at her curt behaviour distort that perception. Such men are all too rare even today, so a round of applause  for Akash.  
Akash Saluja is  a man apparently used to women fawning over him.
One wonders why hpee , as he is neither  tall  - at least 3 inches more would be a major plus, as it is, Ananya  looks taller though she is really the same height - nor handsome (the girls in  his college must have been very generous  with  their adjectives!)  though he has a mobile and very interesting face.  But I should not be talking, for my crush in days long gone by was the rough and tough Humphrey Bogart, whom not even his mother would have called goodlooking! hpee
So, for starters,  it must have been  a new experience  for Akash to run into a female who does not display the slightest interest in him.  
He is also  initially put off, and justifiably so,  by Ananya's uncalled  for rudeness while rejecting his offer to do that difficult landing for her. She could easily have achieved the same result by being diplomatic and  fobbing him off smoothly, but then our young lady  is gauche and  abrupt when pushed to the wall, plus she is under extra tension because of the sudden crisis on her first flight.
But even so, apart from respect for a fellow professional,  Akash  also has an innate sense of fairness that is admirable. Very few men in his position would have bailed Ananya out at the enquiry, and that too  without letting her know of it.
The scene after the enquiry has been dropped, when she runs after  him, all puffed up,  to point out, a tad sanctimoniously, that the Committee had decided that she was right and so, by inference, that he  was in the wrong,  was delightful. Akash quirks one eyebrow in hidden, roguish amusement, wishes her a good day,  and pushes off, leaving her to soak in her self-congratulatory mood, soon to be punctured by the Airport Manager's revelations.
As for Akash's dalliance with the  pushy and demanding Natasha, I think that must have something to do with his real assignment, of which more   below. I would not credit him with such bad taste in girlfriends hpee , so there has to be some other reason. But he is very good at fobbing off her importunate demands, and that too with a light, non-abrasive touch, a hunar that  Ananya would do well to acquire, and fast!
He has a terrific sense of humour that is always bubbling inside him - the crack he makes when Ananya closes the door of her hotel room after he has entered was side-splitting. As was his teasing her about her laughter and about  the incipient fit of poetry that he thinks she is going to indulge in.
A take charge guy: But what I like best of all about this leading man, with his tongue perennially in his cheek and  a wink quivering  in his eye, is that he never panics in a crisis, and takes  charge of the situation without the least hesitation and without any fuss and bother. And crisp efficiency too, whether he has to deal with a diamond smuggler or with a consignment of drugs.
His intelligence training obviously stands him in good stead, but he has  clearly  always been   a man who can make swift decisions and then push them thru with aplomb and charm, as when he  decides to back Ananya and fly despite the  pilots' strike.  ATC to strike par nahin hai na.. Mein management ke saath sab sambhal loonga.. it  is my responsibility..  
Just the kind of man one wants at hand when disaster looms ahead!  Plus, one can be sure that Akash Saluja does not weep at the drop of a hat, which is , for me, the most important virtue of all!![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
His real mission: He is clearly an intelligence officer, folks, belonging to the Defence Intelligence Bureau, not a commercial spy (and what would he be spying on in Inde Air, who are hardly likely to have any valuable technical secrets? ).
He is a fully trained professional, and the way in which he makes the first contact with his immediate superior in the jogging  park was perfect.  Even John Le Carre would have approved! No  counterspy watching them could have made out even the slightest connection. And it was not till the repeat viewing that I spotted the newspaper ad in the very first sequence in Episode 1, which gives the number of the park bench!
It is not drugs that they are after, but something more serious, very likely  a major terrorist attack, whence the boss's  reference to 26/11 and the  huge deal for 25 new planes that Inde Air has concluded in Chicago.  And the reason why his immediate superior was so upset  with him  at episode end was very  likely because this latest strike-breaking caper  could have led to his having to leave Inde Air,  and it  would not suit the DIB -  who have already lost his colleague  Mahima -  at all to lose such a perfectly placed  and   very capable asset for their operation.
Pitfalls ahead: Akash knows this, and while so far he has managed to juggle  things neatly between  his job  and his real mission, it will not always be feasible. The feelings he  is already developing for Ananya,  and his consequent desire to shield her from the consequences of her periodic fits of generous rashness, as in the donor heart case, will sooner or later clash headlong with the demands of his far more important assignment,  which  is meant to protect the lives of thousands, if not lakhs, of human beings. 
There can then be only one choice, of the public good, not of the personal relationship. What then?  This is likely to be the far more serious discomfort zone, Khushi dear.
Ananya Rawat: an open book: With her, unlike the case with Akash, what you see is what you get. And it is  a very appealing package. She is tall and elegant and a  extremely goodlooking.  She  moves more like a catwalk queen than like a female pilot, however, and that exaggerated glide needs to be toned down a bit.
She must be a Friday's child, for she is loving and giving.  Warm hearted and kind to a fault,   and  to top that,  with a reckless generosity of spirit  that makes her go out on a limb, without  a second thought,  to help someone she thinks is in need, be it the diamond smuggler or the desperate wife of the heart patient.  Unfortunately, this admirable  courage and generosity  are not coupled with a sound judgment of  others,  and the discernment that can sift bad from good,  the frauds from the genuine cases. If she  does  not shed her naivete soon and learn how  to do this, she will one day land in bad trouble, and perhaps drag Akash too in with her.
But I loved that scene when Akash, faced with this obstinate young woman who is ready, like a filly who is bolting with the bit between her teeth,  to fly the plane out solo  if need be and the strike be damned, shelves all his  logical reservations and decides to play along,  if only to prevent her from committing professional hara-kiri.
I did wish, however, that at the end,  when he shakes hands with her and  congratulates her, she had thanked him warmly in return. For  without him and his backing, she would have got  precisely nowhere.
She is also very comical at times. There they are, running desperately to escape from a pair of gun-wielding  drug dealers and  all that she can think of to say, when Akash produces   a gun and saves their lives, is Aapke pas gun hai! in a high pitched near scream, and then, Gun chalana kahan se seekha?  No wonder Akash looks at her as if to say  You are one of a kind!  I was in stitches, laughing so much that I could hardly see the screen!
Acting honours: I was very pleased to know  that the poor, harried, desperate wife was played by a noted Bengali actress. She was so superb in her controlled despair,  and even more so as she finally broke down into terrible, gasping, gut wrenching sobs of pure misery when all seemed lost, that I was sure she could not be from the TV industry's stable of "junior artistes". I also loved the ferocity with which she seized the mobile from that harpy of a sister in law to tell her jeth  that all was well and the donor heart would arrive in time after all.

Able support: It is the mark of a really good production that even the bit players stand out. On this Sunday, it was the businessman who was firing his unfortunate staffer for getting him stranded in Bhopal (it was clearly not the fault of the poor wretch, who could hardly have anticipated the pilots union strike,  but such is life!). He is so distressed at the sight of the despairing wife's breaking down that he immediately decides to try for a plane charter. It would have been  for himself too, of course, but he really means it for her, since he does not think of the idea till he sees her sobbing uncontrollably. That was a  very nice, heartwarming cameo.

Diplomatic bloomers: The harried Russian diplomat in the drug smuggling episode was also very convincing.  I wonder what his Ambassador did to him when the whole thing came out! Packed him back to Moscow by the next flight, very likely[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
But the way in which the narcotics cops in Goa were handling him was not credible; one cannot search a diplomat's luggage without his permission, and one cannot threaten him with any punitive measures either. He/she cannot be arrested without the permission of the Ministry of External Affairs, and he/she cannot be tried unless his government waives his/her diplomatic immunity.
Manifold virtues:There are many things to be thankful for  in Airlines.  It will have only 26 episodes, but if it does well,  there is sure to be a season 2. That it is only on Sundays, and one has to wait for it,  only heightens the pleasure of eventually watching it.  It has enough repeats during the week - unlike the exasperating,  single show Yudh - to help those whose Sunday evenings might be otherwise busy.
As Khushi has noted, it is intelligent - happily without being pretentious - well scripted and  competently acted.  But not super-gorgeous please, as my dear Khushi has labelled them, one should not devalue adjectives! hpee 

Akash and Ananya make a  delightful pair, however, and they are situated far away from family squabbles  and plottings,  which is a huge plus.  Their blossoming relationship is sure to be very well scripted,  and it will be set not  against the standard background of  most serials, but against a thriller track that will gain traction as we move ahead.
I, for one, am supremely content!
Shyamala B.Cowsik

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Airlines 1-5: Flying high

Post by Shesherkobita on 2014-09-24, 18:40

Thank you shamaylaji ... Love your post long hug

Shesherkobita
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Shegarf71 on 2014-09-24, 18:45

It does seem new and refreshing..the theme seems very intriguing.Good to read you on a new horizon.Seems like Aakash left quite an impression on you and I have to agree on that.I like him a strong confident in control man and the confident in control and strong Ananya giving him Takkar for Takkar.All of it makes it's super attractive.yes,she's naive..but not completely foolish and not rigid..there starts the differences between them.Again,like you said it's not the looks..it's the interaction and handling of each other that pulls one to them.within the curtain,it opens up immense possibilities to uncovering the ongoings in the fly high club.Lets wait to see wat it brings and how the purpose of launching this show is fulfilled.Thank u for this thoughtful post.Will keep looking for you. hpee

Shegarf71

Back to top Go down

Post by slmu on 2014-09-24, 18:56

Lovely post as usual Shyamalaji. I've only started watching - the heart transplant one being my first but it definitely beckons. I found that particular episode to be a bit boring because Ananya with her crusading desire to help was rather like a typical TV bahu.. but am sure it will not always be so.

Akash is a very interesting character.

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanthya on 2014-09-24, 18:59

Readying for taxiing in ....

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2014-09-24, 19:08

Thanks for this super post, Shyamala Ji
U r bang on about Akash and Ananya.
I really like VJ Yuddi, he is a good actor and has an expressive face.As for his sense of humor- to die for
Tulip isn't too competent. .. her expressions annoy me
But The actresses playing Nasty Nats and Mahima are good. Yes, every episode they get good actors to play guest roles...
Here's hoping we r in for a treat
Every episode being more or less stand alone being beads... and Akash's secret mission is the joining thread...
There was a Dev Anand song. .. which had this line...
'Jaise ki Maala mein Dhaaga'
At least, I think it was Dev Anand!

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Tanthya on 2014-09-24, 19:12

Readying for taxiing in ....

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by --sumana13-- on 2014-09-24, 19:13

Shyamala !!
long hug long hug
Welcome to airlines

Loved reading you
Although I caught glimpses of the show in bits amd pieces ...but I will definitely come here just to read you
I am a fan of your writing My dear
Thanks for this post
Thumbsup Thumbsup

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by amimus on 2014-09-24, 19:26

Shyamalaji a fab post as usual. Akash is one character which intrigues a lot, he has a hidden agenda and also I believe that he is from the Secret Service.
I love the diamond burglary episode a swell. Must say Aakash handle dit well. There is lot for Ananya to learn form him especially his restrain and tactfulness.

Ananya n the other hand is too naïve and full of rules and principles. She needs to loosen up a little but I understand she has family pressure as well.

These 2 make an interesting combination , looking forward to their track as well.

amimus
Video Updater
Video Updater

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria J on 2014-09-24, 20:00

Thank you Shyamala for the awesome post..
This is the only show which I look forward to watch.. Hope they dont make it a drag fest.. 
So far my favourite is Ananya's sister.. At first I didnt like Akash.. but now he is good..

Maria J

Back to top Go down

Post by pollyanna on 2014-09-24, 22:27

First and foremost....Aunty...a big  long hug

Am so happy that you have started writing for a show.....and super glad that I am watching it too so will really look forward to read ur take on the episode.....I had missed that newspaper ad and u highlighted that......thanks so much...also the minute details that A is from intelligence ....

And last but not the least....i like Yudi a lot!!! he is such a darling.....a regular guy with SOH ...I will defo take him home to my parents Wink 

Ananya....I feel ..she needs a little jolt...both off screen(to improve acting) and on screen(to come out of mahaan SP heroine avataar)

Thanks a million for penning your thots aunty...eagerly waiting for the next..

pollyanna
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sonshine487 on 2014-09-24, 23:09

pollyanna wrote:First and foremost....Aunty...a big  long hug

Am so happy that you have started writing for a show.....and super glad that I am watching it too so will really look forward to read ur take on the episode.....I had missed that newspaper ad and u highlighted that......thanks so much...also the minute details that A is from intelligence ....

And last but not the least....i like Yudi a lot!!! he is such a darling.....a regular guy with SOH ...I will defo take him home to my parents Wink 

Ananya....I feel ..she needs a little jolt...both off screen(to improve acting) and on screen(to come out of mahaan SP heroine avataar)

"Joshi entered movies quite by chance. She was a friend of the bride of Aditya Chopra, the son of director Yash Chopra. The family noticed her at their wedding and asked her to appear for an audition, following which they cast her in Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai. Not being fluent in Hindi, she trained in Hindi diction and in acting at Feroz Khan's studio. She was also advised by the film-makers to change her name to something more Indian, as audiences might have difficulty in accepting a heroine with such an unconventional name. She chose the name Sanjana, she was playing the character of Anjali in that film. The film was quite a success.[2] Despite the good reviews and success, Tulip was heavily panned for her acting."

-courtesy Wikipedia

sonshine487
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2014-09-25, 03:27

it is different concept and as u said one of the pleasures is that it isn't on 6days a week...they could stretch it to twice a week i.e weekend and it would b ok but this keeps its freshness more...i did not realise that there were only 26episodes to the series...i need to go c how it is doing on trp front...v don't have many repeats here of it...

akash is an interesting character...and I like them as friends...i would prefer they remain that way...ones who trust each other, b honest and frank but friends...

wat got me in the last episode0was the sheer lack of concern from anyone apart from ananya about a mans life being on the line...

the other thing I am already tired of is that she ends up being the one who they all seem to hunt out to tell their sob stories to...

that scene when they were running from the goons and she saw the gun and asked him where did he get it from and where was she was funny along wit the conversation in her room...

it has had a decent start hope it staysit is different concept and as u said one of the pleasures is that it isn't on 6days a week...they could stretch it to twice a week i.e weekend and it would b ok but this keeps its freshness more...i did not realise that there were only 26episodes to the series...i need to go c how it is doing on trp front...v don't have many repeats here of it...

akash is an interesting character...and I like them as friends...i would prefer they remain that way...ones who trust each other, b honest and frank but friends...

wat got me in the last episode0was the sheer lack of concern from anyone apart from ananya about a mans life being on the line...

the other thing I am already tired of is that she ends up being the one who they all seem to hunt out to tell their sob stories to...

that scene when they were running from the goons and she saw the gun and asked him where did he get it from and where was she was funny along wit the conversation in her room...

mahima and her havnt known each other for long and yet when she had a problem ananya was the one she went to...was that just because she was there or is there something else...

it has had a decent start hope it stays away from family melodrama and continues the  away from family melodrama and continues the way it started...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sarra0 on 2014-09-25, 03:28

sonshine487 wrote:
pollyanna wrote:First and foremost....Aunty...a big  long hug

"Joshi entered movies quite by chance. She was a friend of the bride of Aditya Chopra, the son of director Yash Chopra. The family noticed her at their wedding and asked her to appear for an audition, following which they cast her in Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai. Not being fluent in Hindi, she trained in Hindi diction and in acting at Feroz Khan's studio. She was also advised by the film-makers to change her name to something more Indian, as audiences might have difficulty in accepting a heroine with such an unconventional name. She chose the name Sanjana, she was playing the character of Anjali in that film. The film was quite a success.[2] Despite the good reviews and success, Tulip was heavily panned for her acting."

-courtesy Wikipedia
is she the one...she looked familiar but I couldn't place her...

sarra0
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-10-03, 21:51

Thank you so much, my dear, and I hope you will stay with me and Airlines for the remaining episodes as well. I have posted the one for Episode 6 this afternoon, do take a look at it.ShyamalaShesherkobita wrote:Thank you shamaylaji ... Love your post long hug

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-10-03, 21:53

Thank you so much, my dear, for such detailed, thoughtful and perceptive comments, with which I agree in toto.
I have posted the one for Episode 6 this afternoon, do take a look at it. And I hope you will stay with me and Airlines for the remaining episodes as well. The thriller/mystery angle is being developed steadily and the supporting characters are being fleshed out, so it should stay interesting.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Shegarf71

It does seem new and refreshing..the theme seems very intriguing.Good to read you on a new horizon.Seems like Aakash left quite an impression on you and I have to agree on that.I like him a strong confident in control man and the confident in control and strong Ananya giving him Takkar for Takkar.All of it makes it's super attractive.yes,she's naive..but not completely foolish and not rigid..there starts the differences between them.Again,like you said it's not the looks..it's the interaction and handling of each other that pulls one to them.within the curtain,it opens up immense possibilities to uncovering the ongoings in the fly high club.Lets wait to see wat it brings and how the purpose of launching this show is fulfilled.Thank u for this thoughtful post.Will keep looking for you. hpee

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-10-03, 22:00

Thank you so much for liking this one, my dear.I agree with you about Ananya, Slmu , but she is not as exasperating and irritating as, say, Jodha Begum in Jodha Akbar or Purvi in the only Ekta Kapoor show I have watched, Pavitra Rishta. She is a do gooder, but she is still within the realms of human possibility. Take a look at Episodes 3 and 4, which are great fun, especially the former, where Ananya ends up looking like a naive fool and Akash comes out on top. The second one has  a very funny chase scene. Shyamalaslmu wrote:Lovely post as usual Shyamalaji. I've only started watching - the heart transplant one being my first but it definitely beckons. I found that particular episode to be a bit boring because Ananya with her crusading desire to help was rather like a typical TV bahu.. but am sure it will not always be so.

Akash is a very interesting character.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-10-03, 22:02

Now that was  a neat comment!ShyamalaTanthya wrote:Readying for taxiing in ....

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 03:47

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum