Latest topics

Airlines 6: Of happenings celestial and terrestrial

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Airlines 6: Of happenings celestial and terrestrial

Post by sashashyam on 2014-10-03, 17:29

Folks,
First of all, I send you my warmest good wishes for Vijayadashami today. May it bring you and your families nothing but good during the year ahead.
Now for last Sunday's episode, which fell neatly into two parts - one celestial, in the skies,  and the other determinedly and mysteriously terrestrial. Each of these  was sliced, salami fashion, into bits that were interspersed with  each other as the narrative  proceeded, and  it is to the credit of the script  writers that at no point  did the proceeding  become confusing. The Airlines  CVs are clearly smart![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The plot thickens: Let us take the  second part first. Here, the plot slowly thickens, as Inde Air air hostess Mahima Singh is shown assuring an unknown contact over the  phone that nothing is going right  at her end, but still she was not afraid and was willing to take the risk,  was confident of being able to manage it, and would go to Bangalore. Rookie pilot  Karan Rana turns up at the wrong moment, and is clearly trying to  take over the role of her boyfriend, but it is evident that Mahima is playing along for some reason of her own. 
Question No. 1: Is Karan what he seems or is he part of the  bad guys?  It is unclear as yet, especially given the strange expression on his face later when Captain Rathore  says that Mahima would have been far more useful on board instead of Ananya.  It looks almost as if he knows that Mahima  is dead, though of course he does not say anything to  Rathore. On the balance, however, I feel that Karan is a red herring, if only because he is too obvious a choice!
Next, in fact right at the beginning and again at this point, Mahima is shown climbing unsteadily to the terrace of the Bangalore hotel where she was staying.  She teeters on the parapet  - though she is not shown climbing it -  and then, after a moment of standing there with arms akimbo, pitches forward to her death.  
I rewatched this segment carefully to see if there was even a hint of someone  crouching below the parapet, grabbing her ankles, and pushing her over. I could not spot any such shot. So it seems that she was drugged, perhaps with a hallucinatory drug like PDP (angel dust) which produces daytime nightmares,  and  triggers suicidal impulses to escape from these horrors.
Question No. 2: A curious point: when Mahima crashes to the ground face down, her Inde Air ID,  complete with the ribbon, is shown lying neatly there next to her body. But she was NOT wearing that round her neck when she was on the terrace; that is absolutely clear from the shots of her just before she falls. So where did this ID come from? It was clearly placed there by someone just as she was falling, for if it  had been dropped earlier it might not have been so neatly near the body. 
Departmental blues: Just an hour before Mahima falls from the hotel terrace (which is at 9 am on September 28), a Defence Intelligence Bureau (DIB henceforth) official is shown  ordering a subordinate  to "extricate our asset from the field" at once. The urgency in his voice is unmistakeable; he clearly knows that  the DIB agent is in mortal danger.  Equally clearly, he is  referring to Mahima, but  his peremptory order, unfortunately, comes too late.
The seriousness with which the DIB takes this loss is evident from the crisply professional (apart from the unduly open location)  scene between Akash Saluja and the DIB honcho, who advises him to "Lie low".

The shock  that Akash feels when he learns of this  tragedy  is brought out very well, as is the depression that  can be seen from his hunched shoulders as he sits down on the steps to recover. Even in an intelligence  service, where  such losses are  far from uncommon,  and agents are taught not to  emotional about such events, human feelings, towards  a colleague who has  lost her life in the line of duty, cannot be entirely suppressed.
But Akash is above all a hard core professional, and he bounces back quickly. Instead of lying low  as advised/ordered by his boss, he proceeds with his investigations. When he photographs the pages of a file lying on Inde Air Manager Sen's desk,  my guess was that it was the file about Mahima's death, perhaps with the post mortem report. I can think of nothing else that would be  at all relevant, and for which Akash would run such a risk, for Sen could have returned  suddenly any moment.
He also searches Mahima's room at the air hostesses' hostel for clues,  once  more at considerable risk, for he escapes Sen again by a whisker. The document that he pulls out of a plain blue envelope, though one could see it only from the back as it was held up against the light,  seems to a medical prescription. Another mystery, for he takes it away, so it is clearly a vital clue.
Question No. 3: Akash remarks, after noting Sen's strictures to the hostel security guard about allowing no one into Mahima's room,  What are they - ie the Inde Air management - hiding? What could that mean? With the preliminary police report, surely Inde Air should have informed the parents and then gone public with the suicide explanation? One can understand the DIB's secretiveness about the sudden death of one of their agents. But why would  a civilian airline try to keep the matter under wraps?
The only possible explanation is that Mahima was a double agent of the DIB in the enemy, ie Inde Air,  camp,  and the Inde Air top management, which too saw her as an asset, did not want to reveal her death before they had covered all their bases.

A startling revelation: Right at the end, as  a brooding and distant Akash suddenly abandons Ananya, who is full of her adventure on board, to rush off  to talk to Natasha, one has no idea what  lies ahead. But as Akash, his face tense with worry and strain, blurts out the news of Mahima's death,  it is not so much what he is saying but how he is saying it that hits the viewer.
For Akash  is informing one  asset about the death of another, and the resultant shock , which is quite different from that at the sudden  death of an airline  colleague,  shows up plainly in Natasha's face. The fear and worry in her face mirror those in his, as the implications of Mahima's killing sink into  their minds.
So Natasha, whether she is really in love with Akash  or is pretending to be so in order to have a perfect excuse for being close to him whenever she needs to, is  apparently  also part of Akash's DIB team investigating Inde Air.
The plot becomes more and more like a Le Carre novel,  which  is usually  like a hall full of distorting mirrors!
Ananya's blues: Poor Ananya, in the meantime,  is left high and dry, and clearly very disappointed at this turn of events. She cannot see Akash and Natasha or make out what they are talking, for Akash has dragged Natasha aside and out of sight. So her only conclusion can be that Akash is serious about Natasha, whereas the fact is that it is his mission that he is serious about.

This is the first of what bids fair to be a long list of misunderstandings between our lead pair because of the demands of Akash's mission.
It is also exactly what I had foreseen, and predicted  in the Pitfalls ahead  section of my last post on page 1 of this thread. It is good to be right for a change![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Excitement in the air: Now that is a neat pun, is it not?
The whole baby arrival segment was pure human interest, and of course it had to be our heroine who spots the emergency, bamboozles  the crabby Rathore into letting her assist in the birth,  and finally  pulls the breech baby around using her "disaster management" training (I had no idea this included midwifery![You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]).
Ananya lives up to the Friday's child* billing I had given her, with her instinctive empathy and her looking out for others , her readiness to sup with the devil - in this case Captain Rathore, to persuade him to let he assist  in the birth - if need be  in a good cause,  and her bedrock guts and willingness to take a risk when there is no other go, as when Mrs. Bhalla gives up and cannot handle a breech baby.  She is also appealingly modest and unassuming when  well deserved praise arrives,  in this cases from the baby's mother.
For a change, she shows the mostly suppressed girlish side of her personality when she is giggling merrily with the other 2 air hostesses, and by episode end, it appeared that even the hostile Natasha, mellowed by their joint crisis management,  was moving towards reluctant acceptance of Ananya and her  plus points.
However, Ananya has  a hard time of it registering all the varied emotions called for during the crisis, for her range is  limited. At one point,  as Mrs. Bhalla, the doughty, take charge Punjabi matron, is trying to divert Rachna Gupta's mind with talk of baby names, Ananya looks as cheerful and relaxed as if she was watching a comedy show!  Natasha,  and the other air hostess  who drives Rathore up the wall with her presaging disaster - Her water broke, Captain! -seem to do much  better than our Ananya in the expressions department. No wonder the MYKSH reviews were so negative!
Excellent cameos: As seems to be the rule in Airlines,  the cameos - whether of Mrs. Bhalla, of her paunchy husband,  of the weedy guy who gets upgraded and is then sent packing back to the Economy section,  or of the agonized Rachna who yells that she will not spare her husband for landing her in this mess - are very good. Top honours of course go to Mrs. Bhalla, who oozes empathy and compassion for the suffering mother to be, and whose face, when she confesses that she has never delivered a breech baby,  is eloquent in its shamefaced despair.
Father perfect!: Captain Rathore's role  is  of course not a cameo, but here they have fleshed out his character and taken it beyond that of  an egotistic, arrogant, vain  and touchy martinet.   A man who held  his wife's hand for fully  14 hours of her labour  for their first child, and did it again the second time,  deserves a solid round of applause.  Most  would be fathers who ventured into the delivery room would have either fainted at the sight of the blood,  or run away unable to stand their wives'  prolonged agony.
His joyous announcement about the new arrival,  and his evident pleasure in  producing the baby's Inde Air birth certificate on arrival in Delhi, were also delightful to behold.
Sister perfect: Ananya's sister is as delightful as ever, with her  nail polish capers. I only wish we get to see more of her, but as she seems all set to go to London, the prospects of this happening seem dim, alas!
Advt for the airline industry: The whole process of   the Inde Air crew - from Captain Rathore to Ananya and Natasha -  deprived of any onboard medical assistance, getting thru to a  gynaecologist and  engaging in what Rathore calls "Chinese whispers" to  handle  a  premature delivery with complications, and do it successfully, was very reassuring.
It was also a perfect inhouse advertisement for the airline industry, but one that had far more  of truth in it than your average shampoo ad!  Plus, the various exchanges between Rathore and Natasha as they line up the medical support were extremely funny.
Question No. 4: How is  it that  a  2 months premature baby is trotted out in Delhi airport in its mother's arms? It would normally have been rushed into an incubator from the airport emergency medical room. But here they are all as casual about it as could be,  and the mother seems to be as right as rain in her wheelchair, whereas a stretcher  and an ambulance would be more what the doctor  ordered!
Ok folks, that is it. Just 2 days to go, and then we shall see what happens when the auto pilot goes on the blink in mid flight!
Shyamala B. Cowsik
*NB: For those puzzled by the Friday's child reference, it is taken from an old English jingle that goes as follows:
Monday's child is fair of face,                                                                                                                                                                                         Tuesday's child is full  of grace,                                                                                                                                                                                    Wednesday's child is full of woe,                                                                                                                                                                                      Thursday's child has far to go,                                                                                                                                                                                            Friday's child is loving and giving,                                                                                                                                                                                  Saturday's child works hard for its living,                                                                                                                                                                                   But the child that is born on the Sabbath day,                                                                                                                                                                                       Is bright and bonny and happy and gay!

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Re: Airlines 6: Of happenings celestial and terrestrial

Post by slmu on 2014-10-03, 21:45

Shyamalaji, a very happy Vijayadashmi to you too.

I loved all Mahima and her death related bits and I was wondering about the ID too.. the way Akash took Natasha aside to tell her about it was interesting.. she does seem to be on his DIB team.

slmu
Channel Moderator
Channel Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-10-03, 21:47

My dear Simu, It is such a relief to find someone who is  interested in the story and the clues to the mystery, and not merely drooling over Akash or Ananya! Thank you!Shyamalaslmu wrote:Shyamalaji, a very happy Vijayadashmi to you too.

I loved all Mahima and her death related bits and I was wondering about the ID too.. the way Akash took Natasha aside to tell her about it was interesting.. she does seem to be on his DIB team.

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Shegarf71 on 2014-10-03, 21:50

Hello Shyamala ji,once again so much to see and admire and yet so much left to ponder on.Airlines is moving ahead nicely with some turbulence thrown in.As I see,u have included some of my wishlist for the show..Seeing more of Ananyas sister!..strangely I too am left wanting more of her!As for the lead pair,the story can't move without misunderstandings..and I am certainly belted up ready for that flight!Thank you for this wonderful post..it's like water in the Sahara desert heat! long hug

Shegarf71

Back to top Go down

Post by sashashyam on 2014-10-03, 22:10

My dear,

What can I say but thank you for such wonderful compliments? It makes the 2 1/2 hours I spent on this post more than worthwhile!

I agree with you about the tadka of turbulence, and this Sunday we are going to have it in bulk!

Shyamala
Shegarf71Hello Shyamala ji,once again so much to see and admire and yet so much left to ponder on.Airlines is moving ahead nicely with some turbulence thrown in.As I see,u have included some of my wishlist for the show..Seeing more of Ananyas sister!..strangely I too am left wanting more of her!As for the lead pair,the story can't move without misunderstandings..and I am certainly belted up ready for that flight!Thank you for this wonderful post..it's like water in the Sahara desert heat! long hug

sashashyam
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Shegarf71 on 2014-10-05, 01:01

sashashyam wrote:

My dear,

What can I say but thank you for such wonderful compliments? It makes the 2 1/2 hours I spent on this post more than worthwhile!

I agree with you about the tadka of turbulence, and this Sunday we are going to have it in bulk!

Shyamala
Shegarf71Hello Shyamala ji,once again so much to see and admire and yet so much left to ponder on.Airlines is moving ahead nicely with some turbulence thrown in.As I see,u have included some of my wishlist for the show..Seeing more of Ananyas sister!..strangely I too am left wanting more of her!As for the lead pair,the story can't move without misunderstandings..and I am certainly belted up ready for that flight!Thank you for this wonderful post..it's like water in the Sahara desert heat! long hug

U see Shyamala ji,the time that you spend reflects so impressively as one reads the post..leaving one to agree and think about beyond the idiot box..making a story reachable is a great gift,..that I hope you will keep giving...people like you who write for the love of writing are rare long hug

Shegarf71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 18:12

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum