Latest topics

5 Reasons why Vishal Bharadwaj's 'Haider' is A Must Watch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5 Reasons why Vishal Bharadwaj's 'Haider' is A Must Watch

Post by hooked on 2014-10-10, 18:08

1) Stunning portrayal of Kashmir --Of the three Shakespeare adaptations by Bharadwaj, it is safe to say that 'Haider' is the most visually spectacular. Be it interior or outdoor scenes, the film creates moments that really stay in the viewer's mind through the sheer poetic beauty of the scenes.

2) Sensitive portrayal of the conflict in Kashmir-- Complaints have been raised by various communities or groups against the film. However,the film touches upon a lot of issues connected to the Kashmir conflict that have never been depicted in a mainstream Bollywood film and this brave attempt should be appreciated for what it is. There is the spirit of 'chutzpah' in it as is the possibility of dialogue.

3) Vibrant adaptation of 'Hamlet'--Those familiar with Shakespeare's play, 'Hamlet', cannot but enjoy this film for the intelligent and lively manner in which it adapts this classic play and sets it against the backdrop of the situation in Kashmir. Rosencrantz/Guildenstern as Salman/Salman, the gravediggers, Roohdaar as 'doctor ka rooh' made me literally clap my hands in glee!

4) Brilliant acting-- Each and every single member of the cast have given brilliant performances! I cannot imagine anyone else as Gertrude other than Tabu! Every time I watch Tabu, I am left in total awe at the talent this actress possesses! K.K.Menon does a fantastic job as Claudius! Narendra Jha's portrayal of Haider's father or Irrfan Khan's Roohdar are brilliant. The scenes where they talk in the prison have some wonderful dialogues. And finally, there is Shahid's Kapoor's portrayal of Haider which is electrifying! He really makes the film come alive! This film once again reminded me what a powerful actor this fellow is. And this film has offered him the meatiest role in his career (till now) and he has made the most out of it!

5) Powerful script -- Co-written with Basharat Peer (author of 'Curfewed Nights'), the script is full of incredibly beautiful and powerful lines. Mix of Hindi, Urdu and Kashmiri, the film tries to present an authentic representation of the lives of the middle-class Kashmiri people. The music and the songs add to the words making this a fitting adaptation of the Shakespearean play as well. Adding a link to an interview of Basharat Peer on the making of 'Haider'>link

Last edited by hooked on 2014-10-10, 18:27; edited 1 time in total

hooked
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 Reasons why Vishal Bharadwaj's 'Haider' is A Must Watch

Post by Tanthya on 2014-10-10, 18:25

To watch or Not to watch - Thats the question..

Thank You , Hooks for the lucid, concise views, loved reading the points  esp point 3

Tanthya
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by hooked on 2014-10-10, 18:29

Tanthya wrote:To watch or Not to watch - Thats the question..

Thank You , Hooks for the lucid, concise views, loved reading the points  esp point 3
Watched it today, Tants..and am in a trance-like state! I am already planning on watching it for a second time. Vishal Bharadwaj has pulled off another stunner!

hooked
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by zuzana on 2014-10-10, 19:45

Hooks Loved your style of review...ur splendid..will try to catch the movie.

Would like to see more of your movie reviews hun

zuzana

Back to top Go down

Post by hooked on 2014-10-10, 21:03

zuzana wrote:Hooks Loved your style of review...ur splendid..will try to catch the movie.

Would like to see more of your movie reviews hun
haha! Thanks Zu! I don't watch too many films..but Haider has seriously left me so impressed that I felt like shouting out from rooftops to get people to go and watch it! Now in life one cannot do things like that... So, I took to Dhwani hoping that my friends here feel inspired enough to go and watch it.

hooked
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 23:41

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum