Latest topics

AA:TV shoots playing with fire, rivalry at play in the fire aside

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AA:TV shoots playing with fire, rivalry at play in the fire aside

Post by --sumana13-- on 2014-10-27, 12:34

Buzz about insurance claims, rivalry at play in the fire aside, television actors believe that carelessness is largely to be blamed

On Friday night, the shoot of popular television soap Yeh Hai Mohabbatein came to a standstill after the entire set was gutted in a fire. While the cast and crew of the show remained quiet about the incident, bystanders clicked pictures of the sets and uploaded it on social networking sites. The lead actress, Divyanka Tripathi was quick to tweet about the mishap and pacify those concerned saying, “Everyone including the artistes and crew members are safe.”

This however is not a rare occurrence in the world of television. Not so long ago, the sets of Comedy Nights with Kapil and Diya aur Baati Hum also were caught in fires, causing the producers to scamper around for an alternate location.

While the incidents send out loud whispers revolving around insurance claims and rivalry at play, actors believe it is mostly carelessness that stands to be blamed.
Rithvik Dhanjani who faced a small fire scare on the sets of Pyaar Ki Yeh Ek Kahaani blames it on the lack of importance given to safety. “We work on such tight schedules and everyone is in a rush to finish shooting. We don’t pay enough attention to safety. I have myself seen light men running around with lights and connecting them with different extensions. A lot of times they don’t even use proper plugs, but just the wires to turn something on. This increases the chances of short circuit. I believe the technicians should be given the time to set things up, or we will continue to run the risk,” he says.

While it is better to be safe than sorry, an accident is an accident, asserts Veera producer, Yash Patnaik. “If you can predict an accident, then you cant call it an ‘accident’. Precautions can only minimise the possibility of one, but there are so many factors that can lead to one. One can take precaution, but sometimes they are beyond our control. As far as internal factors are concerned, we try to secure our sets by having regular fire audits and proper fire fighting equipment on the sets. Our studio staff and security personnel are trained to address any unfortunate eventualities. All our sets have multiple exits and enough fire extinguishes (all updated and filled) at all strategically located points. I visit my sets regularly and ensure that no ply or cables are lying unused. If the production needs to keep some flammable material, we try to keep them in the open area, away from the shooting area,” he says.

Actor Neil Bhatt from Diya Aur Baati Hum who was present on the sets during the fire breakout believes the only way to get out of the heat is to have a cool mind. He says, “One never knows when these things are going to happen. It is best to have a calm mind and not panic when such accidents happen. Fire broke out right outside my makeup room, but I guess it was my presence of mind that helped me get out of the room in time.”

The incident has once again brought into focus the need to address safety concerns. Actor Ankit Gera of Sapne Suhane Ladakpan Ke says since it is the third incident in recent times, it has forced those in the industry to take extra care. “We all need to be more cautious as we shoot for daily soaps that are very hectic. We did have fire extinguishers on our sets, but we have got more now, after hearing about the latest incident. Sapne Suhane Ladakpan Ke is shot at Naigaon where we have an open space, so our set is relatively safer.”

Natasha Coutinho Age Correspondent 

--sumana13--
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum