Latest topics

Oscar Nominated 2013: Les Miserables - REVIEW

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oscar Nominated 2013: Les Miserables - REVIEW

Post by -Sheena- on 2013-02-21, 17:04

Les Miserable....

I was wanted to go and see this on stage mainly because it was one of the longest running stage musical shows in the West End....Honestly, I had not read the book or know anything about it, but always saw the poster whenever in town...

I finally got to watch the movie version of it...I guess it made it easier for me to watch it because the male lead Hugh Jackman, I liked...So that was a plus...The supporting cast too were good...However, Russell Crowe to me seemed a little lost in the whole film as singing is not his virtue...

The full movie is a musical...There is not much actual dialogue spoken, so one has to be prepared to listen to songs throughout the movie...

The synopsis of the movie is that it follows Hugh Jackman's character Jean Valjean who is imprisoned for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread...He is pursued by Javert played by Russell Crowe whose character is Police Officer in France...The story unfolds where Jean meets different characters throughout his life and how he becomes a father to a prostitute father and how he remains a fugitive throughout his life...Towards the end of his journey, the setting is of the French Revolution and we see his struggles of letting go of his daughter who has fallen in love and still hiding his true identity of an ex convict from her...

Hugh Jackman was great, as were most of the cast...However, the movie was a bit long and felt that some dialogues could have prevented boredom in the movie...Overall, if you are fan of muscials and fan of Hugh Jackman, then its a movie worth watching...

-Sheena-
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Re: Oscar Nominated 2013: Les Miserables - REVIEW

Post by sharmibalan on 2013-02-21, 18:01

Dear Sheena......

My friend who loves Musical wanted to watch Les Miserables. After much persuation I tagged along with her.....Well the movie was too good....the expressions emoted by the actors were too good.....But I expected atleat one or two dialogues in the movie.....But to my shock all they did was to sing ...sing and sing......Not one single dialogue......It still was once in a life time experiance for me.....As I would never venture out again for another musical......

Crowe started his career as a Musician re....He even had a band....and a single " I just want to be Like Marlon Brando"...So he is comfortable with singing.....He just plays a cop....may be thats why....u found him too stiff...may be...

Well a good movie......for Music lovers.......Well would definetly take my hubby just to see his expressions.....

sharmibalan
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by -Sheena- on 2013-02-22, 21:05

Thanks for your review...I enjoyed reading your review!

The movie is one time watch but it is better than some of the musical movies of recent times...The Phantom of the Opera was torturous...

-Sheena-
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by sharmibalan on 2013-02-24, 16:46

OMG well said Sheena The Phantom of the Opera was torturous...I only watched the first 10 minutes.....and convinced my aunt to change the dvd......But she loves it.......Shocked

sharmibalan
Glittering Gold
Glittering Gold

Back to top Go down

Post by -Sheena- on 2013-02-25, 18:18

sharmibalan wrote:OMG well said Sheena The Phantom of the Opera was torturous...I only watched the first 10 minutes.....and convinced my aunt to change the dvd......But she loves it.......Shocked

Lucky you, Sharmi....I had to sit thru the entire film as I went to with a friend to see it in the Cinema...Not the best of outings!!!

-Sheena-
Master Writer
Master Writer

Back to top Go down

Post by anurao66 on 2013-02-25, 19:00

Sheena,

Thanks a lot for giving the review of the movie. You did a good job so I got the essence of what to expect. So it is a musical. They have made one after a long time right.

anurao66
Dazzling Diamond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 22:02

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum